Menu

Are you currently homeschooling?

Not_a_Number

Are you currently homeschooling?   

252 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currently homeschooling?

• Yes, and some of my homeschooled kids are under 10.
    • Yes, but I have no homeschooled kids under 10.
    • No, but I used to homeschool.
    • No, and I never homeschooled -- I just like it here!

6 kids: 1 finishing his freshman year at university; 1 graduating HS in June; 1 rising HS junior; 1 rising HS freshman; 1 rising 6th grader; & 1 rising 2nd-3rd grader. All homeschooled/currently being homeschooled.

The 6th grader will be 11 and the 2nd-3rd grader will be 9 when the new school year starts. 

• Like 3

Homes cooled for grand total of nineteen years, and retired when we graduated our youngest in 2018. He graduates with his electrical engineering degree, May 2022. So my job since then has been moving him back and forth to campus, and until the pandemic, working for pay as director of a county fine arts program. The program is not going to survive this, so many donors have moved on and public funds reallocated. 

But, so did help my daughter get started with our five year old grandson. She is doing a wonderful job with him, and he is a little sponge. When dh retires in five years, we will be moving near to them so I may be back at it part time teaching science, music, and art while dh teaches math to help relieve her load because she has a business that is growing and by then two boys being home schooled so helping will be good. I told her DE for high school because by then I will just be ready to not be in education anymore.

• Like 6

I homeschooled mine from 1st through 5th,  and then youngest also did senior year at home/dual enrollment. We had a great middle school dc could walk to and they enjoyed their time there. We moved and the high school here was a bit too competitive for youngest so she came home for her final year. Both are in college now but I still hang out here. 

• Like 2

Retired from homeschooling. We homeschooled from 1994-2013, and after that I was a math tutor for homeschoolers until 2018. Dd homeschools the four grands but I am not actively involved- just giving advice when asked and proofreading the occasional paper and such. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

It's a nice round number? 😄 

No real reason. I just wanted to distinguish people who were close-ish to done and people who were still in the thick of it. I should have really added an option for someone ALL of whose kids are under 10, though. 

My kids are 11 and 13.  No where near close to done, though.  We're still very much in the thick of it, I think.  I mean, you'd have to be finished 6th grade to be even halfway to 12th, right? 🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wathe said:

My kids are 11 and 13.  No where near close to done, though.  We're still very much in the thick of it, I think.  I mean, you'd have to be finished 6th grade to be even halfway to 12th, right? 🙂

True, although I think a fair number of people send kids to high school. 

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

True, although I think a fair number of people send kids to high school. 

True enough.  Maybe even me.  One kid thinks he might like to go to high-school, the other wants to school at home forever and ever......  We'll see.

• Like 1

I chose "used to homeschool," though there was only about half a year when I did full-on schooling that I intended to take the place of B&M school.

I'm one of those "afterschoolers."  Though to be honest, nowadays I don't do much "afterschooling" either.  I'm not sure what I'd be doing if the past year had been normal.

I do like coming here to see people's takes on certain things, and to ask important (and not-so-important) questions - not just about kids.  I don't know of a similar alternative.

• Like 4

3 kids homeschooled, one graduated, none under 10 yo.

Oldest homeschooled the whole way through. She did dual enrollment for part-time Freshman/Soph years of high school and full-time for Junior/Senior years. She is a first year student in college. 

Middle is a 15 yo 9th grader. She was homeschooled throughout except for a disastrous semester at private school in 8th grade. She wants to go to brick and mortar school (and I would love for her to go), but as I said, one semester was way beyond her physical and mental limits. So, homeschooled it is. 

Youngest is a 14yo 8th grader. Homeschooled throughout; she loves homeschool and will continue until graduation. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

3 kids homeschooled, one graduated, none under 10 yo.

Oldest homeschooled the whole way through. She did dual enrollment for part-time Freshman/Soph years of high school and full-time for Junior/Senior years. She is a first year student in college. 

Middle is a 15 yo 9th grader. She was homeschooled throughout except for a disastrous semester at private school in 8th grade. She wants to go to brick and mortar school (and I would love for her to go), but as I said, one semester was way beyond her physical and mental limits. So, homeschooled it is. 

Youngest is a 14yo 8th grader. Homeschooled throughout; she loves homeschool and will continue until graduation. 

What happened during the one semester?

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

What happened during the one semester?

Kids weren't overly welcoming, and when I discussed with the staff, I was told that the school was small and the kids had mostly been together since the beginning. OK, that's understandable, but not really helpful (would've been helpful to know before enrolling her though). Her teachers loved her as she is an excellent, excited, engaged student. However, the kids then viewed her as a teacher's pet or a brown-noser, and they didn't hesitate to tell her their opinions. 

She also was dealing with some pretty severe mental health issues that trying to navigate a new school exacerbated. She developed POTS around that time and fainted several times at school which led to her being labeled as "attention seeking" by the staff. 

She ended up dropping Spanish and some other class to leave at noon by October (which further "othered" her) and was on full home study by Thanksgiving. They gave her all D-'s and F's on her report card despite her being a straight A student up til October. So, she never went back. 

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

What happened?

One thing after another! It would take forever to explain, but there was a lot of drama, and a switch to a paid forum, and all kinds of other nonsense. 

It was a shame, too, because it was once a nice forum.

• Like 2

No, as of last week. I need to submit my senior's final transcript and order a diploma, but otherwise I'm done. I actually just posted my large library of high school math and science books on the local group to distribute them to people who can use them. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, I think I'm OK with that 😄 . But thank you for pointing that out! 

What does the pattern make you think of? 

It’s tiny on my phone, but it looks sort of like a linen pattern.

It’s probably not a linen pattern. 😉 

Homeschooling all three of my kids, ages 12, 9, and 7. Youngest did pre-k in a traditional school setting, but otherwise it's been all homeschooling here. And while I'm aware that plans can change, my current plan is to continue homeschooling through graduation from high school.

• Like 1

I’m not typical, I guess. I really didn’t join here until ds was pretty much near graduation and taking college classes on his own. I don’t think I ever (maybe rarely) posted on the education forum. I did read a lot there for information about certain curricula, and I did read some about The Well Trained Mind philosophy and style. It’s very impressive, but our style was a bit different. We were not Charlotte Mason style.

Ds graduated and went off to college. Those homeschool days were some of the best days of my life. After he moved off to college, I was pretty sad.  But I was tired of and done with thinking about curriculum and talking shop. So, I just found this place to relax (and vent) but still be in with the homeschool crowd.

• Like 4

Homeschooled from K-current. With me from K-5th, mostly with DH for 6-7th, but I am in charge of math and whatever hasn't been finished when I get home from work at 2:00. Next year, he'll be taking all of his classes through WTM Academy. So technically at home? Online schooling? He still needs a good bit of parental input/help/scaffolding though.

Finishing up my 18th year. Two college grads, one graduating high school next week and a current 7th grader. No one has been in any school until 11th grade de at a local university. 

Thinking of sending dd to public high school but that is going to be a big leap after getting this far.

Funny success story. My 22 yo works for a major accounting firm. His supervisor said they would like to recruit more students from his homeschool! 🙂

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

It's a nice round number? 😄 

No real reason. I just wanted to distinguish people who were close-ish to done and people who were still in the thick of it. I should have really added an option for someone ALL of whose kids are under 10, though. 

Well, my 10yo has at least 7 years to go. While part of me feels like I’m close to done because my big kids are finished or close, 7 years is a long time!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Funny success story. My 22 yo works for a major accounting firm. His supervisor said they would like to recruit more students from his homeschool! 🙂

Congrats!

When my second daughter graduated from a well-regarded small liberal arts college, one of her professors came over to personally congratulate me on my homeschooling her and asking if any of her younger sibs would be coming his way. 🙂

• Like 9

Just now, teachermom2834 said:

Perspective is a funny thing...from where I sit if you have a ten year old you are yet to reach the thick of it at all 🙂

I don’t mean that to be condescending. I remember those days. Just funny differences in perspective. 

I really was just trying to figure out how many people were nowhere near the end. I wish that I added the category of "my oldest is under 10," though. Those would be people who probably joined recently. 

• Like 1

Started homeschooling when my oldest had just turned 4, in 1990. Finished when I graduated the fourth one in 2018. (So I did it for 27 years).

My youngest turned 21 today! She is finishing her junior year of college so graduates  next May.

• Like 1

I am homeschooling 3 right now, with a fourth coming up soon. My oldest are twins who are turning 10 and considered fifth grade in August, though I mostly just throw at them whatever they seem ready for. My middle child is finishing kindergarten and will be first grade in August. We have always homeschooled.

• Like 1

I started homeschooling both my kids in 2008.Elementary to high school,both are done with their undergrad.

Ds started working last fall dd is taking a break while trying to figure out her next move.I love being here somehow never felt the need to leave.

Here's a weird thing, though, which this thread made me think of - despite being fully, and then partially immersed in homeschooling for 17 yrs, I rarely think about it now I'm done. Except when these threads come up. 

Like, I know I used to be in a CM study group with a minister's wife, but that feels like a hundred life times ago. (Her name was Amy, give me a shout if you read this, Amy!)

Really, it all does feel like a blast from the past. I have zero to say about homeschooling now (but I still use SOTW when I tutor primary history!) 

• Like 2

I have one left on the under 10 category and 2 in the older group.  I still feel very much in the thick of it.  We may have to do something different next year to pay the bills.  I had hoped to start retraining when I was down to one kid at home and go back with something behind me but I’m not sure if that will work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I am committing some sort of educational neglect, involving a 10 year old and 13 year old who don't go to school.  They get some outsourced stuff but shockingly little education from me.  

I picked yes because you forgot the "ummmm sort of, at least that's what I tell the government" option. 

This was us last year. It worked out ok. Gotta make room for life and it's troubles sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

QFT

It's fairly counter-cultural in that way, and the strain of going against the flow (particularly long term), depending on individual circumstances, can exact a cost. 

Yes, I am tired. There is a lot of stress associated with 'the buck stops here'.

• Like 4