Menu

Just for fun, if you won the lottery

Excelsior! Academy

What would you splurge on?  

Don't make a serious financial choice.  This isn't what you really would or should do.  What do you want to do in a no limits world?

Me?  I would hire someone to come in for an hour a day to dress me and fix my hair and makeup.  Bring back the Downton Abbey style Ladies' Maids!!

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 3

No limits world? 

Buy a house in a dream location (still deciding on the dream: maybe in an exciting city...maybe by the seaside...maybe on a mountaintop).

Have a maid come in at least every other day.

Have a personal chef. 

Buy all new clothes every season.  Not necessarily a lot of new clothes, but I’d like fresh, crisp new clothes all the time.

• Like 1

How many splurges can we have?????

First would be a huge amazing house on lots of land.  I don't want to be near other homes.  

A personal chef everyday

A cleaner everyday

A nanny/teacher for my kids.  Then I just get to be the fun mom because all the grunt jobs would be for this person.

Then lots of travel.  And it would be first class travel, no coach seats.  

Oh, if we're going total no limits.....a private tropical island, with a lovely house, a boat, a pier, a beautiful beach, with good snorkeling near shore and good diving near enough dh could go out and dive, and just be there as much as possible

(DH would never agree to this, we've discussed it; he'd rather travel all the places than be tied to one place, and he's right, of course, but if we're not being practical.....give me my island, please and thank you)

• Like 1

Buy a small condo in the NC mountains and one on the coast.

Tear down the sun room here at our house (I'd keep it, even with the two condos) and replace it with a covered porch.

Pay someone to do everything I don't want to do (yard work and deep house cleaning mainly).

I think travel would be high on the list.

But I have also been thinking that, as we get older, we should hire one or more people to provide certain services at home - not just cleaning, but more personal stuff like massage.

A season ticket to every kind of live performance that is physically accessible to me.

[All this assumes Covid is a thing of the past....]

• Like 1

I'd sell this place and buy someplace cute and cozy in the northeast of the US.  Then I'd hire someone who's whole job was to stay on top of home maintenance, so I never ever had to think about whether it was time to paint/replace the roof/drain the water heater/etc again.

Maybe that doesn't seem very frivolous, but I'd like to buy my way into some irresponsibility. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 1

Buy the tract of land that’s approved for developing a private community and only build one house. 😄. Possibly give a very small number of parcels to our closest friends if I’m in a good mood and I won’t be able to see them from my house. Become an eccentric philanthropist who never wears anything but Nike hoodies and leggings with pockets, even at formal fundraisers. Hire a housekeeper who gets my kids to do more chores. Find an expert to teach me how to make my eyebrows look amazing.

Never
Shovel

Snow
Again

• Like 2

build a castle here in the mid-west - live in it and hire staff to help care for everything. I would have a teaching area- where people could come in and learn from artisans and hold conferences and workshops and school tours. I would wear garb a lot and ride horses and paint and write. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Don't make a serious financial choice.  This isn't what you really would or should do.  What do you want to do in a no limits world?

Me?  I would hire someone to come in for an hour a day to dress me and fix my hair and makeup.  Bring back the Downton Abbey style Ladies' Maids!!

House on the coast in the PNW. 
Maid and chef -hands down. 

7 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

I’d move to a smallish house in Hawaii Kai (buy) and DH would retire ASAP. We’d hike several times a week and travel as desired. Kids would go to Punahou.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I would never cook or clean again (unless I wanted to). They would cook healthy meals that dd14 would love. 

I would live somewhere Goldilocks warm where dd14 could swim outdoors everyday. 

I would hire someone to be a better mom to dd14. I would hire the best private special needs tutor I could for her. I would hire someone to mentor and teach her life skills. We would live somewhere where she could have a few true friends. 

I would travel and be able to stay in decent places. DD14's mentor would travel with  us so she would have someone to watch over her and help her navigate the travel site. Travel would miraculously be a joyful learning experience for her, instead of pure agony for me.

I would see dd22 more than once a year.

I would love to have a vacation home somewhere that I could go to for a month or two at a time. Friends and family could come stay and enjoy the local area all for free so a vacation could truly be a 'freeing' experience. 🙂

I would make a major donation to a friend who has worked her whole life in the service of others. I would love to help her buy a new house. (They bought a house  that needed renovations when her husband was healthy, but he can no longer do them and she is stuck in a home that has half-done repairs). 

HMMMM. I could go on and on.....I want so much for the people in my life, I wish I could have a million dollars for each of them!

• Like 4

I would buy a home/town home in key places where I/we like to visit so I/we could stay long-term.

If possible, I would set up a scholarship for the university I attended only the requirements would be everything that prevented me from applying/receiving many scholarships (and my dd is experiencing the same thing 24 years later). I'm not going to list what those requirements would be, but that's what I'd do.

I would buy one of the vacant schools/properties here and use it for home school stuff - tennis courts, basketball, classrooms, etc.

I would buy a place for the young woman whom my dd is helping. She has dwarfism, is paraplegic, is insanely intelligent and works so hard, but still lives with her parents. They're good people - amazing, actually. But this gal and her brother (legally blind) want independence. So maybe I'd buy something where they could all live but in their own building/area.

A big, rambling new Victorian style house right near my church, a big cabin in Strawberry right on the waterfall ish parts of the river, and a self-driving car to take us back and forth.  Also a return trip to French Polynesia and a stay in the overwater bungalows, and then an annual trip to another place I would like to see, like Northeast Germany, Denmark, Kyoto, Fiji, etc.

Serious, significant philanthropy.

How big are we talking?  Pay off the debts.  Renovate.  Replace my car.  Donate to some literacy foundations and volunteer fire brigades. Build either a library or a hidden wall bookshelf in my house.  Send DH for a diving trip with his mates.  Pay off some friends mortgages.  Send dh with the boys on a fishing trip.  Buy dd a life membership to the zoo.  Or if we’re talking no Covid and crazy amounts a trip to africa.  Again if we’re talking crazy amount pay for a full time carer/home help for a couple of families with kids with autism etc.  

Edited by Ausmumof3

8 hours ago, Tap said:

I would never cook or clean again (unless I wanted to). They would cook healthy meals that dd14 would love. 

I would hire someone to be a better mom to dd14. I would hire the best private special needs tutor I could for her. I would hire someone to mentor and teach her life skills. We would live somewhere where she could have a few true friends. 

I would travel and be able to stay in decent places. DD14's mentor would travel with  us so she would have someone to watch over her and help her navigate the travel site. Travel would miraculously be a joyful learning experience for her, instead of pure agony for me.

I would love to have a vacation home somewhere that I could go to for a month or two at a time. Friends and family could come stay and enjoy the local area all for free so a vacation could truly be a 'freeing' experience. 🙂

I would make a major donation to a friend who has worked her whole life in the service of others. I would love to help her buy a new house. (They bought a house  that needed renovations when her husband was healthy, but he can no longer do them and she is stuck in a home that has half-done repairs). 

HMMMM. I could go on and on.....I want so much for the people in my life, I wish I could have a million dollars for each of them!

As a mom to now young adults I SO get this dream.    Someone to mentor and help outside of me.   Just let me be the mom instead of the do all.

I’d buy a home right on Tunnels Beach on Kauai so I could snorkel every day, ocean and weather permitting. Nothing big, just a cute, old style Hawaiian bungalow with a huge lanai facing the ocean surrounded by mango, orange and avocado trees. Maybe have a large second floor lanai as well for an even better view of the ocean. I’d put a Hocatt sauna in there which is actually the first thing I’d get with my lottery money.

I’d also buy or just rent for a few days a red Ford Mustang because they're a lot of fun to drive!

Philanthropically, first I’d help some of my siblings and nephews/nieces. Second, all of the reservations in Montana would get full-time, devoted addiction treatment and suicide prevention programs. Last of all, Cooper Union in NYC might get some money so they could once again realize Peter Cooper’s dream of an almost-free education.

• Like 1

Are we talking scratch cards or powerball, here? If it’s scratch cards, then new vehicles. If it’s powerball, I’d buy a large plot of land, build a small but comfortable house with built in dog crates and an easy to clean mud room/ grooming area, fence in several acres and build an agility course, and foster more dogs! Ok, and probably adopt more dogs too, if I’m honest. 😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spryte said:

Personal chef.  

I don’t mind the fun cooking, when inspiration hits or with kids, but spare me the every day, 3 meals a day, “these people must be fed!” meals.

Yes!  Why do they always want to eat again right after the previous meal is cleaned up?  I don't mind the cooking either, but every. single. day. without fail gets tedious!

23 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I'd hire someone to clean my house

I'd travel.

I'd get rid of the carpet in my house and put in wood floors.

I'd buy myself the prettiest, healthiest Jersey cow I could find so I could milk again.

We ditched our downstairs carpet for luxury vinyl.  Best. decision. ever.

23 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Travel

Take all the classes in the world I want in all the universities I want. 

Me too!  I love exploring new cultures!!

22 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Travel more l,a personal chef for when I'm home, and a clothing stylist. 

Amen!

22 hours ago, Garga said:

No limits world? 

Buy a house in a dream location (still deciding on the dream: maybe in an exciting city...maybe by the seaside...maybe on a mountaintop).

Have a maid come in at least every other day.

Have a personal chef. 

Buy all new clothes every season.  Not necessarily a lot of new clothes, but I’d like fresh, crisp new clothes all the time.

With no limits you should buy all three!  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

How many splurges can we have?????

First would be a huge amazing house on lots of land.  I don't want to be near other homes.  

A personal chef everyday

A cleaner everyday

A nanny/teacher for my kids.  Then I just get to be the fun mom because all the grunt jobs would be for this person.

Then lots of travel.  And it would be first class travel, no coach seats.  

As many as you want!  It would be fun to just be mom for a while instead of taxi, chef, laundress, maid, etc.  

22 hours ago, TheReader said:

My first splurge purchase would be (at least one of) "The Full Monty" from Cherrywood Fabric -- it's a yard cut (I think?) of every single color they make. I'd like 2 yds minimum of each, so maybe 2 of those...? Maybe 10 of them, because :swoon: 

You've piqued my interest.  Off to google...

22 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'd quit my work.

What are your plans after retirement?  

Oh, if we're going total no limits.....a private tropical island, with a lovely house, a boat, a pier, a beautiful beach, with good snorkeling near shore and good diving near enough dh could go out and dive, and just be there as much as possible

(DH would never agree to this, we've discussed it; he'd rather travel all the places than be tied to one place, and he's right, of course, but if we're not being practical.....give me my island, please and thank you)

I would love my own island too!  I've tried to talk a select group of friends to go in together with me, but alas the cost and time commitment makes it unlikely.  Some day...

22 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I'd also have some do my laundry for me.  I can handle the cleaning of the house but I am so sick of laundry for 8 people and 2 dogs

Ah, laundry.  The bane of my existence.  

22 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Build a covered, screened in deck and buy my hot tub.

Then I would travel....both with my kids and then really travel with friends 

That sounds like my dream too!  

22 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Buy a small condo in the NC mountains and one on the coast.

Tear down the sun room here at our house (I'd keep it, even with the two condos) and replace it with a covered porch.

Pay someone to do everything I don't want to do (yard work and deep house cleaning mainly).

I'm curious why you would tear out your sun room.  I've always wanted one!

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 1

My first splurge purchase would be (at least one of) "The Full Monty" from Cherrywood Fabric -- it's a yard cut (I think?) of every single color they make. I'd like 2 yds minimum of each, so maybe 2 of those...? Maybe 10 of them, because :swoon: 

I just googled.  Those fabrics are beautiful!  Are you a quilter?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SKL said:

I think travel would be high on the list.

But I have also been thinking that, as we get older, we should hire one or more people to provide certain services at home - not just cleaning, but more personal stuff like massage.

A season ticket to every kind of live performance that is physically accessible to me.

[All this assumes Covid is a thing of the past....]

I agree!  A simple maid is not enough.  

21 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Disney World and a maid.  

Both sound great!

21 hours ago, Katy said:

Big house in Exumas (Bahamas).  Fully staffed. 

That would be a dream! 

21 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I'd sell this place and buy someplace cute and cozy in the northeast of the US.  Then I'd hire someone who's whole job was to stay on top of home maintenance, so I never ever had to think about whether it was time to paint/replace the roof/drain the water heater/etc again.

Maybe that doesn't seem very frivolous, but I'd like to buy my way into some irresponsibility. 

I agree!  Staying on top of home maintenance is a pain!  I'll never forget what my dad said to me when I first became a homeowner.  He told me that now I would have something to do on the weekends.  My poor, naive 24 year old brain didn't understand what he meant at first.

20 hours ago, athena1277 said:

Buy a cottage on the beach and never leave it.

❤️

19 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Buy the tract of land that’s approved for developing a private community and only build one house. 😄. Possibly give a very small number of parcels to our closest friends if I’m in a good mood and I won’t be able to see them from my house. Become an eccentric philanthropist who never wears anything but Nike hoodies and leggings with pockets, even at formal fundraisers. Hire a housekeeper who gets my kids to do more chores. Find an expert to teach me how to make my eyebrows look amazing.

Never
Shovel

Snow
Again

😁 I love that you want to become an eccentric philanthropist.  That does sound fun!  

18 hours ago, JenneinCA said:

I would get a really cool aquarium with bright colorful fish and have someone come in weekly or so to keep it looking amazing and the fish healthy.  

Yes!  The aquarium at the zoo is my favorite place to sit and relax.  If I had one at home and someone to maintain it I would be in heaven!  

17 hours ago, elegantlion said:

build a castle here in the mid-west - live in it and hire staff to help care for everything. I would have a teaching area- where people could come in and learn from artisans and hold conferences and workshops and school tours. I would wear garb a lot and ride horses and paint and write. 

Can I visit?  That sounds lovely!!

16 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

House on the coast in the PNW. 
Maid and chef -hands down. 

Yes!  I would love a chef!  

16 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I’d move to a smallish house in Hawaii Kai (buy) and DH would retire ASAP. We’d hike several times a week and travel as desired. Kids would go to Punahou.

That sounds fun!  I've never been.  Is it pretty?

16 hours ago, Tap said:

What great dreams.  It is nice to see how much you care about others.  I pray that you and your loved ones are able to experience all of these dreams!

15 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

It would be fun to pay for college educations for kids in the high school where I work (but you got to meet my qualifications first--do your math homework!)

What a generous spirit!  I love that there are qualifications!!

15 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

I would buy a home/town home in key places where I/we like to visit so I/we could stay long-term.

If possible, I would set up a scholarship for the university I attended only the requirements would be everything that prevented me from applying/receiving many scholarships (and my dd is experiencing the same thing 24 years later). I'm not going to list what those requirements would be, but that's what I'd do.

I would buy one of the vacant schools/properties here and use it for home school stuff - tennis courts, basketball, classrooms, etc.

I would buy a place for the young woman whom my dd is helping. She has dwarfism, is paraplegic, is insanely intelligent and works so hard, but still lives with her parents. They're good people - amazing, actually. But this gal and her brother (legally blind) want independence. So maybe I'd buy something where they could all live but in their own building/area.

Giving another person the dignity of independence is a beautiful gift.  I hope someday you/they are able to make it happen!

15 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

I'd buy the ranch across the road!

When all of my children were hope we always joked about buying up the block so that we could live within a short distance of one another.  What would you do with the ranch?  Expand your empire? 🙂

• Like 2

Just now, Excelsior! Academy said:

Can I visit?  That sounds lovely!!

Yes!  I would love a chef!  

That sounds fun!  I've never been.  Is it pretty?

What great dreams.  It is nice to see how much you care about others.  I pray that you and your loved ones are able to experience all of these dreams!

What a generous spirit!  I love that there are qualifications!!

Giving another person the dignity of independence is a beautiful gift.  I hope someday you/they are able to make it happen!

When all of my children were hope we always joked about buying up the block so that we could live within a short distance of one another.  What would you do with the ranch?  Expand your empire? 🙂

Hawaii Kai is gorgeous. I love that side of the island and every hike leads to gorgeous ocean views from lush green mountain peaks. I miss it terribly!!

14 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

A big, rambling new Victorian style house right near my church, a big cabin in Strawberry right on the waterfall ish parts of the river, and a self-driving car to take us back and forth.  Also a return trip to French Polynesia and a stay in the overwater bungalows, and then an annual trip to another place I would like to see, like Northeast Germany, Denmark, Kyoto, Fiji, etc.

Serious, significant philanthropy.

That sounds epic!

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

How big are we talking?  Pay off the debts.  Renovate.  Replace my car.  Donate to some literacy foundations and volunteer fire brigades. Build either a library or a hidden wall bookshelf in my house.  Send DH for a diving trip with his mates.  Pay off some friends mortgages.  Send dh with the boys on a fishing trip.  Buy dd a life membership to the zoo.  Or if we’re talking no Covid and crazy amounts a trip to africa.  Again if we’re talking crazy amount pay for a full time carer/home help for a couple of families with kids with autism etc.  

Big! With no Covid!  

9 hours ago, Hannah said:

I'd quit my job and travel in luxury and style for at least a year - and then I'd decide what to do with the rest of my retirement.

That sounds like my dream.  

8 hours ago, DawnM said:

Buy a dream home on a large lake with floor to ceiling windows throughout the house facing the lake, buy a nice boat, jet skis, paddle boards, all the fun stuff to do on the lake.

🙂

7 hours ago, Ottakee said:

As a mom to now young adults I SO get this dream.    Someone to mentor and help outside of me.   Just let me be the mom instead of the do all.

Yes!!

7 hours ago, Nanax6 said:

We would buy a lot of land, build 4 homes--one for us and each adult kid and family.  On the property we would have horses, a pool, tennis courts and basketball courts.  

Wouldn't it be the best family compound?

6 hours ago, BeachGal said:

I’d buy a home right on Tunnels Beach on Kauai so I could snorkel every day, ocean and weather permitting. Nothing big, just a cute, old style Hawaiian bungalow with a huge lanai facing the ocean surrounded by mango, orange and avocado trees. Maybe have a large second floor lanai as well for an even better view of the ocean. I’d put a Hocatt sauna in there which is actually the first thing I’d get with my lottery money.

I’d also buy or just rent for a few days a red Ford Mustang because they're a lot of fun to drive!

Philanthropically, first I’d help some of my siblings and nephews/nieces. Second, all of the reservations in Montana would get full-time, devoted addiction treatment and suicide prevention programs. Last of all, Cooper Union in NYC might get some money so they could once again realize Peter Cooper’s dream of an almost-free education.

I've never snorkeled, but I hope to one day.  I've also never been to Hawaii, but after this thread its on my bucket list!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

I'm curious why you would tear out your sun room.  I've always wanted one!

I just don't love it. Almost everyone else does, though. To me--it's not inside and it's not outside. I never know whether to do all the work to keep it up like I do the inside of the house or just let it go (it gets more cobwebs than the rest of the house, lots of glass to keep clean, the tracks for the doors/windows seem to accumulate gunk, etc.). It has its own heating/cooling unit, but it doesn't make sense to run it much when it's very hot or very cold. I think I'd enjoy a covered porch a LOT more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I talk to the trees said:

Are we talking scratch cards or powerball, here? If it’s scratch cards, then new vehicles. If it’s powerball, I’d buy a large plot of land, build a small but comfortable house with built in dog crates and an easy to clean mud room/ grooming area, fence in several acres and build an agility course, and foster more dogs! Ok, and probably adopt more dogs too, if I’m honest. 😉

Powerball!  Dream big!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 4:47 PM, TheReader said:

I just looked this up...OMG!!  🥰

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nanax6 said:

I just looked this up...OMG!!  🥰

It's the most scrumptious fabric to sew with, ever. I've made two full quilts from it (well, quilt tops; I did use other stuff for the backs), a vest, a small wall hanging sized quilt.....it's just amazing. ❤️ 

2 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

I just googled.  Those fabrics are beautiful!  Are you a quilter?

they are, and yes, I am 🙂 It's such stunning fabric to quilt with....I've made 2 full-sized quilts from it so far (my boys' graduation quilts), a wall-hanging sized quilt, a patchwork vest.....it's just scrumptious. I love working with it. ❤️ 

• Like 2

I think I would generate some jobs.....a personal trainer, a personal chef, a personal stylist, a landscaper/handyman.... 🙂 

I appreciate the quality of well constructed items, but I'm not really a thing person.  I am most constrained in my time---so hiring people to free up some time for me or to help me use my time well would be lovely. 

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

It's the most scrumptious fabric to sew with, ever. I've made two full quilts from it (well, quilt tops; I did use other stuff for the backs), a vest, a small wall hanging sized quilt.....it's just amazing. ❤️ 

I'm a very beginner quilter, but I always wanted to leave something special and precious for each of my grand babies.  I'm learning new skills and I'm looking forward to purchasing amazing fabric from places just like this!    Hubby has been told! 🙂 

• Like 1