Menu

what is a great breed dog for a first time pet for a family?

Princess5

what is a great breed dog for a first time pet for a family?  our kids are 11 &8.  we have never owned pets before neither the kids nor the adults..we have no clue what we are doing...want a puppy for sure..willing to spend money to get a kind, happy, mild dog from a good breeder..what would be a great breed of dog for us?  Labrador?  golden doodle? labradooddle? any other?

People I know who have labradoodles absolutely love them.  They seem like they're always friendly and easy-going, but they do require a lot of exercise and are of course a bigger bread.  Another dog I might recommend is a beagle, or a beagle mix.  The first dog my dh and I had together was a beagle-mix.  We've had three other dogs since then, but never had one as sweet and faithful and gentle as the beagle mix.  Our dd now has a beagle mix (mixed with pug and we think chihuahua) and he is the sweetest, most people-oriented dog ever.  Beagles are stubborn though.  🙂

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Princess5 said:

kind, happy, mild dog

Beagle. 

Golden retrievers and labs are great, but for kids who are 8 and 11, they may just be too large and strong to manage. Beagles are happy, sweet, friendly dogs which are great with kids.

My only caution would be that some from rescues have been hunting dogs and may not have been well socialized, but you're talking about a puppy, so that wouldn't be an issue. (Even shy rescue beagles are wonderful dogs, just talk to the group and find out about the individual dog if you decide to go this route. For a first-time dog owner, I'd suggest a happy, confident dog, rather than a shy one.)

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Princess5 said:

what is a great breed dog for a first time pet for a family?  our kids are 11 &8.  we have never owned pets before neither the kids nor the adults..we have no clue what we are doing...want a puppy for sure..willing to spend money to get a kind, happy, mild dog from a good breeder..what would be a great breed of dog for us?  Labrador?  golden doodle? labradooddle? any other?

Any of those.  Also pure bred poodle (“mild” depending on breeding), purebred golden retriever.  Flat coated retriever.   

4 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

A big hound. The only real drawback is the bay. Coonhound, foxhound or the like. I had no idea how perfect they were for children til we got one. I’ve been around a lot of breeds and mixes, so I feel like I have a good sense for how they compare. 

Hounds are amazingly sweet, and gentle, just don't expect them to be easy to train. At all. As puppies they are into everything and have zero concept of right and wrong. BUT...if you survive to adulthood they are the sweetest most amazingly great dogs. 

Oh, except for the noise. Ours is a coonhound/bloodhound mix, and only barks at night, at things on the fence or in the trees. Because, well, that is what coonhounds do - they chase animals up into trees and bark at them for the hunter to find. Which means every night i'm yelling, "knock it off and get in the house!!" to my coonhound who is alerting me to the presence of a possum, or just the possibility of a  possum - what we refer to as  "possumbilities". 

He was a nightmare to obedience train, but part of that was because he was already 3 months old and had been in half a dozen places already where he learned bad habits. If you'd asked me back then I'd have said I would never ever get a hound again. But now? Now he is SO sweet and loving and gentle.....I could see me having amnesia and getting another 🙂

I agree they are great kid dogs. Mine LOVES my little boy. And we learned later that coonhounds are actually great watch dogs and very protective when the situation warrants, but very sweet and not aggressive at all. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

Hounds are amazingly sweet, and gentle, just don't expect them to be easy to train. At all. As puppies they are into everything and have zero concept of right and wrong. BUT...if you survive to adulthood they are the sweetest most amazingly great dogs. 

Oh, except for the noise. Ours is a coonhound/bloodhound mix, and only barks at night, at things on the fence or in the trees. Because, well, that is what coonhounds do - they chase animals up into trees and bark at them for the hunter to find. Which means every night i'm yelling, "knock it off and get in the house!!" to my coonhound who is alerting me to the presence of a possum, or just the possibility of a  possum - what we refer to as  "possumbilities". 

He was a nightmare to obedience train, but part of that was because he was already 3 months old and had been in half a dozen places already where he learned bad habits. If you'd asked me back then I'd have said I would never ever get a hound again. But now? Now he is SO sweet and loving and gentle.....I could see me having amnesia and getting another 🙂

I agree they are great kid dogs. Mine LOVES my little boy. And we learned later that coonhounds are actually great watch dogs and very protective when the situation warrants, but very sweet and not aggressive at all. 

Okay, I’ll give the caveat that ours was one when we got her. I didn’t want a puppy. 🤪

1 minute ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Okay, I’ll give the caveat that ours was one when we got her. I didn’t want a puppy. 🤪

I am not lying when I say it was one of the more traumatic years of my life. And I've had many puppies, including a field bred weimaraner that voluntarily lay down to rest until she was 9 months old. That hound though..ugh. But now he's curled up with my husband on the couch, and lays around all day, and is just the most gentle thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Labs are great.

Labradoodles are great.  (not a recognized breed in the US - but it is in austrailia.  you want a multi-gen animal from an experienced breeder, not some backyard breeder who took a poodle and cross-bred it with something.  The breed is actually much more complex than that.) - my first-time owner dd has two sm/med 17" tall/38lbs - so not standard sized. (full brothers, different litters. respected breeder that very rarely breeds the same pair twice.).  Generally very quiet.  funny to see the differences.  one loves to go outside, the other is a wuss about wet grass. rarely bark. can be very funny.

do your homework on where you're getting the dog.

think about

how much energy you want in a dog.  (labs will chase a ball long after your arm is screaming at you.)  do you want one you can go running with? or a lap dog?

how much time/money do you want to spend grooming?  labradoodles have hair, not fur.  they have to get their haircut on a regular basis.  but hair has fewer allergens than fur, so better for those with allergies.   Do take allergies into account.  It was really sad to see my niece buy a husky puppy, and while he was great for her and she could take him running with her (huskies are bred to run),  . . her dh is allergic to dogs and she only had him a couple months when they realized they couldn't keep him due to his allergies.

do you want to vacuum up dog fur?  - dogs that shed . .  . still need good and very thorough brushings (especially in spring) to get the dead hair out, but they'll still shed fur wherever they go.

here are four breed selectors:  they'll ask a bunch of questions, in an attempt to determine which breed would be a better fit.  They're each different, and I would suggest doing all four.   

AKC

vetstreet

IAMS

dog-breeds

eta: there are a bunch of other dog-breed selectors - often from pet food companies.  they want people to select an animal that's a good fit, because they'll be more likely to keep the animal. and keep buying pet food.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Well I am currently  in love and obsessed with this girl 

86D6CA07-D69F-4AB4-8D4E-34FB73B85889.jpeg

she's very pretty.  I used to go for walks with my grandfather  in their neighborhood.  He knew all the dogs.  There was one pointer . . . nice dog.

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

she's very pretty.  I used to go for walks with my grandfather  in their neighborhood.  He knew all the dogs.  There was one pointer . . . nice dog.

She is a jewel.  A mix breed, but  she sure looks and acts pointer.  Super smart.  High energy....but easy to train.   I am already plotting getting another one...,a full blood this time.  

• Like 2

I know you said you wanted a puppy but our last dog we adopted as a 3 year old from a rescue.  She was timid and took a while before she felt comfortable in the house but she NEVER messed in the house.  She stayed in the yard....even when we went away for hours.  She took long walks with us off leash (private trails or places that allowed off leash dogs), etc .

She was an Australian Shepherd or possible aussie/border collie mix 

Sometimes a 2-3 year old dog is a much better fit than a puppy.  Another positive with her....she almost never barked.  Like we could go months between barks and when she did bark it was at something major......says someone whose next door neighbor dogs are tiny, yappy dogs that bark almost nonstop when they are outside 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I know you said you wanted a puppy but our last dog we adopted as a 3 year old from a rescue.  She was timid and took a while before she felt comfortable in the house but she NEVER messed in the house.  She stayed in the yard....even when we went away for hours.  She took long walks with us off leash (private trails or places that allowed off leash dogs), etc .

Sometimes a 2-3 year old dog is a much better fit than a puppy.  Another positive with her....she almost never barked.  Like we could go months between barks and when she did bark it was at something major......says someone whose next door neighbor dogs are tiny, yappy dogs that bark almost nonstop when they are outside 

Every dog I've known who was a rescued street dog is like this... They're pretty special.  (I've known three, so don't really know if that's representative of that group, but it's been our experience.)

• Like 1

I haven’t read the replies so as not to influence but if you can make sure the premises is secure a beagle.  The only downside of them is if they are good at escaping and will follow a scent forever once they do.  But otherwise best most affectionate friendliest dog ever.

• Like 3

Totally seconding gardenmom5's recommendation that you read about dog breeds and their individual traits and requirements to help you find a breed that will be a good fit for YOUR family.

Wow. Stunned to see several people say beagle. My sister had a beagle -- nice temperament, but the most stubborn dog I've ever seen, AND constantly was escaping the yard to follow a scent trail -- he absolutely would forget everything else when he had his nose to the ground following a scent. So NOT very trainable.

Yes, puppies are cute and adorable -- but be prepared for your first 3-4 months of having a little puppy of daily running the puppy outside every 30 minutes (extended to every 1-2 hours as the puppy gets older and has a larger bladder), and several times at night, to ensure good house-training and minimize accidents. You might also consider an older (i.e., 1-year old) rescue dog from your local shelter -- already house-trained and probably with house manners, esp. if the dog has been in a foster home.

If you are getting a puppy, PLEASE go to training classes so you ALL can learn how to teach the dog to have nice house manners!!!! Be prepared to invest a LOT of time daily working with the puppy for the first 6-8 months you have it to train it into the house manners and walking manners you want it to have. And realize that puppies have a sort-of "lose their brain/stubborn teen" stage from about 8-12 months, or thereabouts.

Good luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

Personally, I wouldn’t get a puppy if you have no experience. I’d check out the local a Humane a society and maybe some breed specific rescues. So many older dogs need a good home and if chosen carefully, are far easier than puppies. We’ve had two rescue golden labs and both have been amazing, easy dogs. The first was from the Humane Society and they behavior tested all dogs before placement. I grew up with dogs, but neither my husband or son had any experience. She was literally the easiest dog ever. The second we got from a rescue trying to save dogs from being euthanized in TX. Because she lived with a foster family, we knew exactly what we were getting. These types of organizations usually really want to make a good, permanent match, so they will help to find the best fit for your family.

• Like 4

I don't know about goldendoodles, but golden retrievers have a very high rate of cancer.   We have lost two to cancer.   Some neighbors just lost their golden to cancer (less than 6years old).   They are wonderful dogs but this is something you should consider, especially since this will be your first dog and your kids are young.  

One thing to consider is what activity level you want. We wanted more of a lower-energy lap dog rather than one that would need lots of exercise and outdoor time. We also needed short hair, gentle with kids (ours were 3, 5, and 6 at the time we got our first dog), and fairly easy as neither my husband nor I had ever had dogs.  

We ended up with two dachshunds. Our first was given to us by a family who bought him as a Christmas present for their kids and then realized they had too much going on to have a dog. He’s most likely mixed with a chihuahua. He is a super sweet cuddler. A few years later we got another doxie rescued from animal services. She looks like a purebred but of course we don’t know for sure. She has more energy than our other dog and likes long walks but is fine to chill most of the day. She’s more playful and silly.

Dachshunds can be hard to housetrain. We didn’t get either of our dogs as puppies so I don’t have experience with that stage. But the family we got our first dog from didn’t train him well so we really have to watch him to make sure he doesn’t make messes in the house. On the other hand, though, our pound rescue is trained very well and makes messes only on very rare occasions. They can both be a little stubborn but nothing we can’t handle, and honestly it gives them some personality. I’m not sure we’ll get another dog in the future, but I would consider another dachshund. We also like the temperament of pugs and French bulldogs. 

1 hour ago, Frances said:

Personally, I wouldn’t get a puppy if you have no experience. I’d check out the local a Humane a society and maybe some breed specific rescues. So many older dogs need a good home and if chosen carefully, are far easier than puppies. We’ve had two rescue golden labs and both have been amazing, easy dogs. The first was from the Humane Society and they behavior tested all dogs before placement. I grew up with dogs, but neither my husband or son had any experience. She was literally the easiest dog ever. The second we got from a rescue trying to save dogs from being euthanized in TX. Because she lived with a foster family, we knew exactly what we were getting. These types of organizations usually really want to make a good, permanent match, so they will help to find the best fit for your family.

depending upon location - (like near us) -   90% of their dogs are pit/mixes or chihuahuas/mixes.  I won't even look at them or rec them to someone looking for a dog.  They're a complete waste of time around here.

find out what is a good breed for you - and look for rescues that work with that breed if that's what you want.

petfinder.com is one resource for finding a more specific type of dog, though their search engine does have limits.

dd's breeder does a lot of genetic testing before she breeds a dog to screen out a lot of health problems that crop up as the dog ages.

Doodles are great first dogs, imho. Most I've met have been lovable, energetic mops that also like to sleep a lot. lol Good combination!! But don't let ANYONE tell you that they don't need as much grooming as a poodle. LIES! They need brushed daily (or pretty darn close) and grooming sessions every 6-7 weeks to prevent matting. Especially if you get a doodle with a curly coat as opposed to a wire-textured one. If you get a puppy, you won't know what coat texture you're gonna get. Their adult coats are very different from their puppy coats and a breeder cannot tell you for sure what pup's coat will be like, even if they say they can. (and the juvenile coat stage REALLY needs brushed twice a day until their new coat is fully grown in)

I love beagles - truly - but omg, if you happen to get a stubborn one... be ready! I've known a few who will dig holes like their lives depend on it. Obsessive little guys. lol

We prefer male dogs. I read somewhere that a female dog has the attitude of "you can come over here and love me if you want," where a male dog is "here I am! For you to Love! Right here!!" and we prefer that. Our female dogs have 100% been aloof, whereas our male dogs LOVE US SO MUCH! 😄 I appreciate that complete adoration. 😄

We're nearing puppy time again ourselves. It'll be a toy/miniature poodle for DD1, who is just about to graduate college.

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 3

Greyhounds or whippets would be great.  You think they would be hyper but they are sprinters.  Shorts bursts of activity is great.  Very sweet, easy grooming.  They can be stubborn about cold and rain.  Not an Italian Greyhound they aren't sturdy enough for kids.

4 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I love, love, love our beagle. She is the sweetest, friendliest dog. The best. The smaller size is great for kiddos,takes up less indoor and outdoor space, less food, less poop. Beagles are super overall healthy breeds, unlike labs and goldens. But...we can't take her anywhere without a leash. We can't even work outside the fenced yard without her tethered somehow because she will wander. My kids also wish she had a little more spunk sometimes but do adore her.

That said, I'm thinking of getting a second dog and after months of looking into it am heavily leaning towards an Australian Shepherd or border collie or a mix. They are so intelligent (especially border collies), will stay by your side, loyal, and will fetch (my kids big request), and more. An Australian Shepherd bred to be more of a service dog rather than working dog is what I'm leaning towards and there are some great legit, registered breeders locally that offer that option.

https://highdesertaussies.com/about/

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 3

I'm a fan of beagles for first time dog owners with young kids. Sure they have cons, just like all breeds do. But IMO they come closest to meeting the ideal that most families are after in a dog. Do be aware that most of them are incredibly smart. People who don't really know dogs think it's stubbornness, or that they're dumb dogs. Usually it's far from that. A beagle is a dog who has been bred for millennia to work far out in front of a hunter and thus to be able to think for itself and make it's own decisions. A good hunting beagle HAS to be able to make its own decisions. That's totally different from breeds like Lab, Goldens, Border Collies, etc. that are bred to work closely under the direction of a person. A dog who has been bred to be smart enough to make its own decisions is a dog who will need to be convinced of the "why" that it should do what you want instead of whatever it wants to do. And that is exactly where the false notion that beagles are stubborn comes from. A beagle won't do what you want for the simple joy of pleasing you, as many breeds will. It takes more skill and more patiece to train a hound (any hound) than it does a breed who has been bred for millenia to work closely under a person's direction.

But my advice is to research any/all breeds you're interested in, paying particular attention to what that dog was bred to do, the implications of that in family life, and the "cons" of the breed. It's the cons that make a dog hard to live with. So don't under estimate them, and your (and your family's) ability and willingness to deal with them. Activity level is a huge one. People routinely vastly under-estimate that. As far as beagles--yes, they're veritable Houidinis when it comes to escaping. Being bred to be smart and work independently makes them challenging for any trainer, especially a novice. And no kitchen trash can is safe with some of them. Some of them have a musty smell that no amount of bathing will get rid of. Some of them love to hear themselves bay. (Caveat: I did beagle rescue for awhile, so had first hand experience fostering several, plus we eventually "failed." One of my heart dogs was a beagle.)

Research is your friend. And do pay special attention to those cons.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

I would recommend joining a FaceBook group for any breed you are considering.  It is a great way to get real life info and feedback about a specific breed.  I am on a FB group for German Shorthair Pointers (even though mine is a mix-she is definitely strongly GSP) and they have been so fun and helpful with my girl.  And that is also a good way to find a rescue or a puppy.  

I know many people are recommending not getting a puppy....but I always feel getting a puppy allows you to completely bond with it from day one and to train it properly from day one.  Due to this virus we have not been able to take ours to puppy training classes like we had planned.  But the FB group we are in has helped so much.  Puppies ARE a lot of work for several months.  But ours at 4 1/2 months is already greatly improved.  And man what a joy she is.  

• Like 2

I grew up with only labradors and absolutely LOVED them. Fast forward to us getting a family dog and DH managed to persuade me to get a golden retriever instead. I used to think labs were the best but after having a golden I'd never get any other type of dog. Our old girl just turned 8 and after we got over the puppy stage she's been the best dog.

Our labs always took a couple of years to get past the annoying puppy behavior but it was much quicker with our golden. Also, our golden likes to go on walks but is perfectly content to lie around the house all day if we have nothing going on. For some reason ours doesn't shed much so hair isn't an issue here. I wonder if that's because she's a red golden. 

ETA: We got our golden when DD was 2 and she ruled over that dog as a puppy and even now. No problems with the dog being too big or boisterous. 

Edited by importswim
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

Our issue with local shelters is the only dogs there are pit bulls or Chihuahuas.   Which can be great dogs, but there's no room to look for a "right fit" type of dog.

Yeah, we use rescue groups instead because of this. All of our dogs except the chihuahua (which was from humane society) has been from a rescue group. 

Our fist family pet when our kids were about 6 and 8 was a beagle from a local beagle rescue group. He was a beagle/terrier mix but looked just like a beagle. He was awesome! His bark/howl was annoying and he stubborn as heck,  but he was a great first pet. He's been my favorite by far. 

ETA: As was mentioned above, they are super smart. Our dc taught our beagle so many tricks. He would also play hide and seek with them all the time. 

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

...That said, I'm thinking of getting a second dog and after months of looking into it am heavily leaning towards an Australian Shepherd or border collie or a mix. They are so intelligent (especially border collies), will stay by your side, loyal, and will fetch (my kids big request), and more. An Australian Shepherd bred to be more of a service dog rather than working dog is what I'm leaning towards and there are some great legit, registered breeders locally that offer that option...

Be prepared to take these breeds to agility training classes or to train them to service dog work or something similar -- they were breed to WORK and absolutely need that mental stimulation of problem solving and working, and a lot of outdoor time/space for doing their fulfilling work.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Be prepared to take these breeds to agility training classes or to train them to service dog work or something similar -- they were breed to WORK and absolutely need that mental stimulation of problem solving and working, and a lot of outdoor time/space for doing their fulfilling work.

Agreed.  I love Aussies.

My doggy soul mate was an Aussie.  A giant of an Aussie.  I was single when he came to me, and took him back country hiking and camping all over the place, at least weekly.  When not in the mountains, we walked everywhere together, and I took him swimming frequently.  With all that exercise, he was mellow, and just the sweetest, kindest dog ever.  He fetched, he “hugged,” he chilled out at appropriate times.  Easy to train, never a mess in the house (he was 6 mos when he came to me), but he did have separation anxiety, and I had to put a lock on the trash can.  When DH and I got married, later had kids - doggy was just the perfect family dog. I miss him. He had hip dysplasia, so that’s something to watch for in Aussies.  Painful.

We have an Aussie again, and without all the natural hiking, camping, running, swimming folded into her life - she requires a lot of deliberate exercise.  She would be perfect in agility. She is super sweet, and probably the cuddliest dog I’ve ever known.  She’s also super fast, absolutely needs time to run, and loves to herd our schnoodle.

Speaking of schnoodles... ours is like a little old man, and has been since 8 weeks old. A couch potato. Easy to care for.  Sweet.  Lots of grooming, though.

You all are making me want a beagle, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I would recommend joining a FaceBook group for any breed you are considering.  It is a great way to get real life info and feedback about a specific breed.  I am on a FB group for German Shorthair Pointers (even though mine is a mix-she is definitely strongly GSP) and they have been so fun and helpful with my girl.  And that is also a good way to find a rescue or a puppy.  

I know many people are recommending not getting a puppy....but I always feel getting a puppy allows you to completely bond with it from day one and to train it properly from day one.  Due to this virus we have not been able to take ours to puppy training classes like we had planned.  But the FB group we are in has helped so much.  Puppies ARE a lot of work for several months.  But ours at 4 1/2 months is already greatly improved.  And man what a joy she is.  

There has been absolutely no issue with bonding with either of our rescue dogs and both came very well behaved and trained. Many people I know who get puppies have good intentions for training, but often don’t follow through completely.

• Like 3

We got our pup from a rescue that does a two week foster period, and I highly recommend that if you can.  We gave them a very short list of breeds we would consider and let them know that we had a lot of children, including a baby.  We ended up looking for about nine or ten months before the right one appeared (just after I had the baby and lifethreatening postpartum complications, because why not, right?), but he has been perfect for us.  Ours is a lab-boxer mix.  He is a bit hyper sometimes and very enthusiastic, but also really sweet and very gentle.  He learned very quickly that Mommy is not for jumping, and he is super gentle with our now 16-month-old.  (They adore each other, actually.)  He knows which parent is the fun parent (that would be DH), and which is the sucker parent (ahem, that would be yours truly -- he sits, makes the sad boxer face, and I can't resist giving him treats).  And he likes the crate too, although mostly he is pretty content to lie next to my son while he is working.  Lab was definitely on our list of breeds to consider because they're often great with kids; ours totally thinks he is just one of the boys.  I think German shepherd was also, although I was a bit concerned about the size.  Golden retriever too, possibly border collie.  Nothing too small or too huge.  I will also add that the dog is really my 15yo's dog.  DH and I do help, but DS1 is the one who wanted a dog, and we waited until he was old enough to be both willing and capable of doing nearly everything.

Yes, aussies do need exercise.  When we got ours I had a mini horse farm and Texas would go along on our horseback rides.  She spent hours outside by the barn while I did chores.   She was not the hyper high strung line of the breed though.

• Like 1

We are long time dog owners. Our BEST dog ever was a beagle mix, Daisy. She was loyal and so gentle. We had her for 13 years before she passed. Only problem that others have mentioned about beagles:  Daisy roamed a lot. We had trouble keeping her confined but she finally stayed close to home as she got older. Right now, we have another mix dog - not sure of her breed. She is a medium sized dog - probably part retriever/lab mix. She is not a roamer. We named her Lady, and she loves to be outside patrolling the perimeter of our property and chasing birds. She loathes the UPS driver, however, so we have to lock her up when expecting a package. She's a sweet heart. She sleeps all night inside and circles our property all day when not sleeping. 

My oldest son owns a Doberman. I have to tell you:  I LOVE this dog. She's a velcro dog - right by your side 24/7. She's imprinted on my son to the point that she watches him ALL THE TIME. Born to obey and just a big love bug. They are definitely not an easy dog to own in the fact that they need company all the time. They love their humans. Your kids are old enough to provide the company, but Dobies are great with young ones. My 5 y/o granddaughter is a tyrant with this dog, but her Dobie just gently endures.  I can see why people get so attached to these dogs. They are wonderfully loyal and so intelligent. I'd get one in a heart beat, but they are also neurotically needy and clinging to their humans and my husband can't deal with that.

My MIL has only ever owned Yorkies. Holy cow, they are great dogs too. She has done Yorkie rescue for 50 years. I can't own one though. Very sweet but yappy as all get out. 

We owned two Shelties years ago. Loved, loved, loved these dogs too. They are great dogs for first time dog owners. Loyal and independent and rule the house for sure. But we have found that the best dogs for us in our typically sedentary retired lifestyle is the medium sized mix mutt female. My son is very active and the Dobie fits him. My MIL needs to baby something and have companionship, and the Yorkie is wonderful for her. Think about your lifestyle and the time you can devote to your new fur child. 

• Like 2

If neither the children nor the adults have ever owned a dog, not even an adult dog, then I'd seriously, seriously reconsider the puppy idea... especially as dog training classes are closed for the duration, I'm sure.

Why do you want a puppy instead of an adult?

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

If you start contacting some good breeders you can also talk with them about the fit of their dogs (breed, line, individual) for your family.  There are lots of training videos etc that could work well.  It will be harder than usual to socialize a puppy to new people, other animals and environments .  But some breeders take reservations puppies for a year or so in future.  So world situation may be different when a well bred puppy from reputable breeder becomes available. 

• Like 1

We are also looking at getting a dog as our first pet. Neither dh nor I even had pets as kids or spent much time around them. My youngest child is my 12 yo dd who is super responsible and an animal lover. 

We definitely aren't going with a puppy but we are considering different breeds for our situation. I am also remembering that my dd will probably be going to college in six years so the dog will then be mine.

Many of you mentioned to find a reputable breeder. How does one go about determining who is a reputable breeder?

Where is a good place to start just for info for new dog owners? I have held out on this until I really had the time to devote to knowing what I am doing and doing it right. I want to have as much info going in as possible. 

6 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm a fan of beagles for first time dog owners with young kids. Sure they have cons, just like all breeds do. But IMO they come closest to meeting the ideal that most families are after in a dog. Do be aware that most of them are incredibly smart. People who don't really know dogs think it's stubbornness, or that they're dumb dogs. Usually it's far from that. A beagle is a dog who has been bred for millennia to work far out in front of a hunter and thus to be able to think for itself and make it's own decisions. A good hunting beagle HAS to be able to make its own decisions. That's totally different from breeds like Lab, Goldens, Border Collies, etc. that are bred to work closely under the direction of a person. A dog who has been bred to be smart enough to make its own decisions is a dog who will need to be convinced of the "why" that it should do what you want instead of whatever it wants to do. And that is exactly where the false notion that beagles are stubborn comes from. A beagle won't do what you want for the simple joy of pleasing you, as many breeds will. It takes more skill and more patiece to train a hound (any hound) than it does a breed who has been bred for millenia to work closely under a person's direction.

But my advice is to research any/all breeds you're interested in, paying particular attention to what that dog was bred to do, the implications of that in family life, and the "cons" of the breed. It's the cons that make a dog hard to live with. So don't under estimate them, and your (and your family's) ability and willingness to deal with them. Activity level is a huge one. People routinely vastly under-estimate that. As far as beagles--yes, they're veritable Houidinis when it comes to escaping. Being bred to be smart and work independently makes them challenging for any trainer, especially a novice. And no kitchen trash can is safe with some of them. Some of them have a musty smell that no amount of bathing will get rid of. Some of them love to hear themselves bay. (Caveat: I did beagle rescue for awhile, so had first hand experience fostering several, plus we eventually "failed." One of my heart dogs was a beagle.)

Research is your friend. And do pay special attention to those cons.

This was really interesting (and helpful) to learn about the mindset of a beagle.  Thanks for explaining!

• Like 2