Menu

WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH PRIME?

Janie Grace

Yeah, that just happened to me.  Their shtick is - it will only take two days to once we actually *ship* it, but it might take us a week till we get around to packing it and getting it shipped.  So, sorry.   :glare:

ETA: This isn't just for Christmas.  I needed a book for a course - I ordered it from Amazon with Prime and didn't think about it till it didn't get here in a few days.  Went to check - and looky there - estimated SHIPPING date was around a MONTH out!  I re-ordered from a third-party source with no Prime shipping and still received the book before Amazon with Prime would even have packed the box.  :glare:  :glare:

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Are they Prime, but a 3rd party seller? Sometimes they take longer to ship. Or if one of them is from a 3rd party seller, you can try clicking on "deliver my items as quickly as possible" rather than "group into as few shipments as possible" and that might get them shipped quicker? Amazon is great, but can certainly be frustrating sometimes with their shipping mysteries.

• Like 1

:grouphug: 

Double and triple check everything once it goes in the shopping cart.  A lot of places (and Amazon ships from many locations) are not able to meet the 2 day delivery in literally 2 days right now.  Not sure what the issue is but yeah, triple check that delivery date before purchasing.

FWIW, there may be something similar that could arrive on time.  If you are o.k. with something similar but not the same you could at least look for alternatives.  I found an alternative for a gift I thought I had already ordered and forgot to hit send.  The original would no longer get here in time but I found something that might work even better and it is supposed to get here on time.

• Like 3

Are they Prime, but a 3rd party seller? Sometimes they take longer to ship. Or if one of them is from a 3rd party seller, you can try clicking on "deliver my items as quickly as possible" rather than "group into as few shipments as possible" and that might get them shipped quicker? Amazon is great, but can certainly be frustrating sometimes with their shipping mysteries.

Ha, nope.

Just ordered a brand-new book for dd.  It doesn't even tell you till you're to the credit-card info part of the order that it won't leave the warehouse for a few days (and hence will not get here on time).

So I ordered her a second book, out-of-print, used, from a third party that had Prime.  It will get here on time.  

If they know they won't ship it out in a timely manner, my guess is it isn't even in the warehouse.  The problem does not lie in the amount of time it's underway with the carrier.  

• Like 1

I have literally only one time had issues with prime not showing up at my door within 48 hours. I just ordered 3 things that will be here Friday. I assume it is location.

• Like 11

It may ship faster than they say. My stuff has been arriving via Prime even faster than anticipated this year. I ordered an item Monday night that said it was out of stock until Thursday. I ordered it anyway. Then when I looked at it again, it said out of stock until Saturday. Then I got a notice that it shipped in the wee hours of this morning. You never know. I wouldn’t count on it though if it’s a crucial item, especially if it’s coming from a third party.

Like Moxie, I think it depends on location. There’s at least one amazon warehouse just a few minutes from my house. I almost always get Prime things within 48 hours. I think that may be the blessing of being close enough to the east coast metropolises. Sometimes things take a third day if they arrive via USPS instead of UPS because our post office carrier leaves the PO at about 7:30 am, but even that is rare.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 2

Prime guarantees 2-day transit time, not total shipping time. At least that's what Amazon will tell you.

This has bitten me in the butt more than once, but I find that in peak times it can be really difficult to get what you want on Amazon with prime shipping.

Ha, nope.

Just ordered a brand-new book for dd. It doesn't even tell you till you're to the credit-card info part of the order that it won't leave the warehouse for a few days (and hence will not get here on time).

So I ordered her a second book, out-of-print, used, from a third party that had Prime. It will get here on time.

If they know they won't ship it out in a timely manner, my guess is it isn't even in the warehouse. The problem does not lie in the amount of time it's underway with the carrier.

Actually, this year part of the problem does lie with the carrier. UPS is stretched beyond its capacity right now. It simply cannot process the number of packages that are coming through and meet those deadlines. Many of my shipments this year have been slowed down a day or two once they hit UPS.

Although I think all Prime really gets you now is Priority Packing. Prime orders are processed before non-prime. Good luck to anyone ordering without it.

• Like 3

Here’s another wrench into the two day shipping thing. USPS has a contract with Amazon. In order to not void the contract and still get the full payment for shipping, if they are busy, USPS will mark packages delivered but not actually deliver them until a few days later. So, postal workers have been known to scan a whole truck full of packages delivered but not actually deliver them until later in the week. That way, they look good to amazon and still keep their contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Here’s another wrench into the two day shipping thing. USPS has a contract with Amazon. In order to not void the contract and still get the full payment for shipping, if they are busy, USPS will mark packages delivered but not actually deliver them until a few days later. So, postal workers have been known to scan a whole truck full of packages delivered but not actually deliver them until later in the week. That way, they look good to amazon and still keep their contract.

Yes, THIS.  Over the last several months, Prime items have been showing up a little later, a little later and I think the USPS is the wrench in the works, at least for us.

• Like 2

I ordered two books on the 13th, they are supposed to come today.  I also ordered a couple of other items on the 15th and they have an expected delivery date of the 28th.  We usually don't have Prime because I primarily order books and am not in a hurry.  I did the free trial, the kids found out and wanted to keep Prime for the movies.  Since they don't watch any, I think I will cancel it again.  Besides, I can get many books cheaper than what they cost with Prime.

Edit: I just checked, my 15th order hasn't even shipped yet, and the order that was supposed to be here today will be late (as if a week for two paperback books isn't already slow).

Edited by rdj2027

I've seen this every year since they started Prime. The carriers can't guarantee it, so they adjust the dates.

Thankfully my shopping is done, but I know how it feels. I have an end-of-year birthday kid and am always a little concerned about things arriving on time even if I order before Christmas. You never know this time of year!

• Like 1

Ahhhhhhh....now it all makes sense! In the past year, I have contacted Amazon three times about orders that show up as delivered when I check the tracking information, but have not yet arrived. In all three cases, the items arrived several days later. You'd think Amazon would catch on to practices like this!

• Like 2

I got a package yesterday that I wasn't expecting until mid-January.  It's from a third party seller and I knew it would take that long.

Except, just this morning I got the notice that it's only now about to be shipped, and that I'll be notified once it is actually shipped... with the arrival date still in January.

• Like 1

In the past year, I have contacted Amazon three times about orders that show up as delivered when I check the tracking information, but have not yet arrived. In all three cases, the items arrived several days later. You'd think Amazon would catch on to practices like this!

Amazon does know. My condo complex (more than 200 units) complained and they use more of OnTrac services and UPS to deliver, keeping USPS for Sunday deliveries. Amazon has the take a photo of delivery service for their own amazon logistics delivery (https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202132680).

I don’t have Prime and we get things fast here. I am in the 2hr Prime service area though. Every day from late November to New Year’s Day we get at least 3 UPS/DHL/FedEx trucks, 2 USPS trucks (bigger than the mail-van and only has parcels) and many OnTrac vans.

• Like 2

I have literally only one time had issues with prime not showing up at my door within 48 hours. I just ordered 3 things that will be here Friday. I assume it is location.

I used to be able to say that...until this year. Even before the holiday rush started I was having problems with on-time deliveries, and proper timing on the same-day- or next-day-deliver orders. And it's been the talk of my little IRL circle too. So many people have been having problems. The irony is that there are signs all over our area advertising employment at the brand new Amazon warehouse, which is 20 minutes from my house. And don't even get me started on those $^&)*(& Amazon Fresh totes that they won't pick up. I'm going to drive them over to that new Amazon warehouse, set them on fire in the parking lot, and drive off. I'm so angry about the whole experience.

Ooooohhhhh  :cursing:  We've only had that happen a couple of times, but wow was I ticked when I realized what had happened! It was awhile ago, thankfully. I made sure I ordered all my Amazon stuff early this year, because with everything that's been going on with the shipping in our area, I wasn't taking any chances.

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

I ordered last Sunday and got it on Tuesday as they promised

maybe your location from the nearest ship point is the issue

It's the "as promised" time that varies.

I have ordered items on Wednesday through Prime with a guaranteed delivery date of the following Tuesday. 

I do live within 30 miles of a warehouse and get some stuff fast. It really varies.

When Prime started, it didn't vary. It was consistent.  2 days or, worst case, 2 business days.

BUT if things come late you can still complain and get a  1 month Prime extension. I've done that more than a few times.

Edited by poppy
  • Like 4

I ordered last Sunday and got it on Tuesday as they promised

maybe your location from the nearest ship point is the issue

I ordered around 6 things in one order yesterday; all had Prime.  4 are promised on the 22nd; the other two are promised at different times the week after Christmas.  I have no idea.  Maybe some things are only at faraway warehouses, maybe they're out of stock and not admitting it.  Frustrating, though.

I'm in a densely populated area, and usually Prime 2-day is fairly reliable here still.  I think this and that coursebook I ordered a while back are the only ones I've had a problem with (the coursebook I find more egregious than a jam-up before Christmas.  I mean, 2-day shipping but we won't get around to actually shipping it for a MONTH.  What is that??  Don't call that Prime, then.)

I’m so sorry to hear about your shipping issues. Amazon prime has always been quite reliable for us.

I’ve had great service from Prime with everything arriving within two Day time frame. I always make sure that everything I buy is listed as prime and available in two days with one click purchase. If it showed available after Christmas or more than two days out, I don’t buy if needed within that two day period or wanted for Christmas. I steer away from 3rd party sellers when buying for special occasions. Some get it to you right away and others it takes a while.

I’m so sorry to hear about your shipping issues. Amazon prime has always been quite reliable for us.

I’ve had great service from Prime with everything arriving within two Day time frame. I always make sure that everything I buy is listed as prime and available in two days with one click purchase. If it showed available after Christmas or more than two days out, I don’t buy if needed within that two day period or wanted for Christmas. I steer away from 3rd party sellers when buying for special occasions. Some get it to you right away and others it takes a while.

The thing is, the two things coming late were Prime and had NO heads-up that they were not available per usual in the regular Prime 2-day timeframe until I was in the middle of check-out.  

• Like 2

My what the heck - I'm getting free one-day shipping all the time now. I didn't even select it the other day because I didn't need the item in one day and figured I'd let them focus on other people with urgent orders.  And yes, the order shows up the next day. :) 

Clearly, not unhappy about that. But we to often have longer than expected timelines for things but overall have still been happy. 

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 2

The thing is, the two things coming late were Prime and had NO heads-up that they were not available per usual in the regular Prime 2-day timeframe until I was in the middle of check-out.

I noticed that as well when using one click versus regular checkout. I guess that is the point when the system assigns the warehouse which determines the amount of time to get there. I’ve had a few “damn†moments and backed up to pick something else that would arrive on time.

• Like 1

I truly hate this practice and think customers should make a huge stink about it. When this has happened I assume the package has been delivered to the wrong house or stolen. It's very nerve wracking. Then when it casually shows up two days later it just makes me even more mad.  It's even worse when it's a gift sent to someone. I think it's been delivered but they can't find it and then they feel bad. 

Ugh. 

• Like 4

Ahhhhhhh....now it all makes sense! In the past year, I have contacted Amazon three times about orders that show up as delivered when I check the tracking information, but have not yet arrived. In all three cases, the items arrived several days later. You'd think Amazon would catch on to practices like this!

And considering that Porch Pirates are in high season, you would think Amazon would not tolerate things being marked delivered when they are not, as people are perhaps reporting merchandise as stolen when it is actually just sitting on a USPS truck somewhere.

I actually think that's fraud.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 4

Took me 30 minutes to find some slipper socks that would arrive before Christmas. I put a bunch of prime options in my cart, then deleted the ones that might arrive after Christmas and replaced them with others. When I went back to my cart, some of the socks that were previously arriving before Christmas now said they would be arriving on the 26th!! For a couple pairs of one style that was okay, since I won't be seeing its recipients until New Years, so I changed the quantity of that style from 3 pairs to 2 pairs and the delivery date changed to Dec. 22nd. Curious, I added back another pair and the date did not change back to the 26th??? So now, everything in my cart is guaranteed to arrive this Friday. Supposedly.

• Like 1

I ordered something Monday that's supposedly arriving Friday.  Except it hasn't shipped yet.  Apparently, it's no longer in stock.  No word from Amazon to tell me it won't be coming or that it will be late.  So, now I have to decide if I want to cancel and order a different one (at higher cost), pick one up locally (at higher cost), or choose something completely different.   

I find it frustrating, too. A friend mentioned that Amazon was backed up on deliveries, so I placed my final orders about a week ago. Even having Prime, many of them were not to be delivered until 12/22 or 12/23, so ten days instead of two.

I spend Christmas Eve waiting for a gift to arrive one year, so since then I've tried to order early, but it seems to be necessary to order earlier every year.

This year I'm annoyed because the scarf I ordered for my niece has now been delayed in shipping, and they can't tell me when to expect it. Even though it was in stock with Prime when I ordered it last week. I choose that scarf specifically, because the other items on her list were not going to get here on time, and now the scarf won't, either :cursing: . Fortunately, I have some other things to put in her package and can send her the scarf later.

For me the problem has had to do with the delivery provider they use with my Prime.  I have had problems since a week before Halloween.  I order so often from Amazon that it would make your head swim, so I get deliveries from the USPS, UPS, and so many other delivery services.  A week before Halloween I ordered a patch for my son's costume.  It was guaranteed for delivery the next day by 8pm.  8pm, nothing....9pm nothing.....Suddenly tracking info changes to say it will arrive Oct 29-31.  Not acceptable because we needed it for a pre-Halloween activity.  I started an online chat with customer service & basically pitched a fit & they canceled the order (that hadn't been sent yet) and overnighted the patch to me.  The delivery service was Amazon.  Same thing happened 2 weeks later.  Only this time there was no way to get the item on time, once they missed the "guaranteed delivery," so I called & cancelled.  Once again the delivery provider was Amazon.  This happened two more times between then & now.  One time it was auto parts.  Seriously?  I need the car to work ASAP!  Why would I be ordering with my Prime & choosing same day service if I didn't need it today?

Maybe they have bitten off more than they can chew with trying to not only fill the orders, but also to deliver the items.  Or maybe they are trying to encourage me to go to the pick up location that is available in my area.  

I am getting irritated with the whole process.

I am just ranting with you.  I hope you are able to get everything you need.

Amber in SJ

Maybe they have bitten off more than they can chew with trying to not only fill the orders, but also to deliver the items.

I think this is true of them overall. I feel like they've overreached themselves by trying to be everything to everyone, and now they are struggling to deliver on the expectations they've set among their customers. One of my IRL friends had a problem with stuff not arriving on time, and when she spoke to their customer service she was basically told she was lucky to have two-day shipping. She was like, "Lucky?! We PAY for this service!" It seems like they would have been better off expanding more slowly and maintaining their strong customer service and reputation for excellence.

I ordered something Monday that's supposedly arriving Friday.  Except it hasn't shipped yet.  Apparently, it's no longer in stock.  No word from Amazon to tell me it won't be coming or that it will be late.  So, now I have to decide if I want to cancel and order a different one (at higher cost), pick one up locally (at higher cost), or choose something completely different.   

That stinks.

Could you take a screenshot of the item listing on Amazon with your phone, then see if the in-person store will price match?  It saved me fifty bucks once at Staples.

• Like 1

You're all spoilt.  :001_tt2:

If I want to be sure a parcel will arrive in time for Christmas, I have to order it in October!

WOW! So do you guys actually go to stores and stuff?

I went to Target once this holiday season. It was dreadful.  I won't set foot in a mall.  99% of my gifts are bought online.

• Like 4

just got the email that the one dvd I wanted for hubby. releasing tomorrow, Dunkirk, is already out of stock (???) and not available until after Christmas. Prime item, not a third-party seller. Heck, I ordered it far in advance, too. So cancelled it and will pick it up in a store. Thank goodness I had already gotten everything else I need.

just got the email that the one dvd I wanted for hubby. releasing tomorrow, Dunkirk, is already out of stock (???) and not available until after Christmas. Prime item, not a third-party seller. Heck, I ordered it far in advance, too. So cancelled it and will pick it up in a store. Thank goodness I had already gotten everything else I need.

BOO!!

My orders have mostly been coming just as indicated when ordering. One item I ordered was supposed to get here after Christmas but it shipped faster and now will be here on Friday. I have also had the delivered packages that weren't delivered that day. Usually those are on Saturday and get delivered on Sunday.