Menu

would you or do you take advantage of this service?

ProudGrandma

I just found out from a friend who happens to be a mom of 8 ....about this service our big grocery store offers.  It is a service where you can go online and buy food.  then they "shop" for you and then you drive by at the time you give and they load your car with your groceries.  I am not elderly, I am not a mom of 8 kids, I am not handicapped in any way...so should I feel guilty using such a service?  It's offered to everyone..but for some reason, I feel sort of weird making the grocery store do something I am more than capable of doing...other than the fact it saves me time. Oh, the service is free if you spend over $100....which isn't hard for me. 

What do you think?

• Like 2

Absolutely take advantage of it if you want to! The grocery store doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t offer the service to be nice to people who are struggling or short on time in some way. They do it to earn money. Offering this service brings in customers. Also, people will often spend more than usual to hit that $100 mark so they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to pay the fee. That increases revenue for the store as well. The store wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t offer it if they didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t make money on it so thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s no reason to avoid using the service if youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d like to.

• Like 14

We have that service in our area at most of our grocery stores.  I am not elderly, disabled, and I only have three kids, but I use it exclusively.

It has changed my life.  

I detest grocery shopping.  I would rather scrub toilets with my own toothbrush than grocery shop.  It takes up too much time, too much energy, but is an eveil necessity.  Now...it's not.  I go online, make my grocery list, tell them when I'd like to pick it up, and I even pay online.  I can tell them what items I will accept substitutions for or not.  Bam.  Grocery shopping done.  I pull up to the store and some of the most cheerful wonderful people in the world load my groceries into my trunk and let me know if there were any problems.  I have often told the employees that if the zombie apocolype happens, I will pick them up before my own husband and kids because I am so indebted to them.

The only "issues" we've ever had was a substitution once in a very great while.  And when they have needed to substitute, they also give us a larger size for the cheaper size price.  

(Well, and there was that one time I accidently clicked on the 5 pound vat of sour cream instead of the 16 ounce container...my bad.  We had baked potatoes for WEEKS.).  :laugh:

• Like 6

Yes! All the grocery stores around here have it. The highest service fee is $5. It's totally worth it to not have the impulse purchase. They do a good job selecting produce.

I can go online and figure out my grocery list in 20 minutes then swing by and pick it all up. I have no guilt, it frees up time to do other things. I don't mind grocery shopping, but it can be a time suck when I have to take me kids with me.

One bonus for me is that they have a dedicated crew to this service and they do a much better job bagging groceries than the regular bagging crew. It's a silly thing, but I appreciate it.

• Like 1

Most grocery stores offer this these days. Unless it was a service that they explicitly said was for those that had physical limitations, thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s no need to feel guilty. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t use it because IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a food control freak. Will the store employee care as much as I do about picking the best items? Maybe not.

I have not done this with fresh groceries, but I see no reason not to if it's helpful and you can afford it.

I wish I'd had that (or known about it) when I was a single mom of two sick babies in a rainstorm or blizzard.  :P

Just thought of something - that would be a good gift for someone who is having any issue that makes it hard to get around - new / sick baby, family illness, etc.

• Like 2

One local Walmart does that here.

Another service I am very interested in is SHIPT which is at our local Meijer.  They shop for you and then DELIVER it to your door.  Service $49/year and then free to use if you spend over $35.  I think the groceries are a tad higher than in the store and most people tip the driver at delivery but if they do the shopping for me, and then drive the 12 miles out to my house to deliver it sounds worth it to me.

If only Aldi did the same thing.  I would never shop again.

• Like 1

I wouldn't.

It would be a ton more work for me to write up a detailed grocery list for someone else--every brand, every detail, every.single item--than just go get what I need myself. Half of what I buy I think up or remember when I'm there. Plus we live 3 minutes from the grocery; why would I want to wait for someone else to get what I could get myself right now? And then I'd have to be home when they make the delivery. For my life, it would be PITA.

I've been using grocery delivery services for almost 8 years now. I order everything online and it is delivered to my home. If there is a problem, such as a broken egg or whatever, I just call the customer service number and they take the amount off my bill. I only step into a grocery store to pick up something small like vanilla extract if I need it for a recipe and can't wait for the next delivery.

This actually helps keep my grocery budget in check because I see a running total on the screen. If it goes over the X amount, I know to remove something from the cart. It's also far more difficult to make impulse purchases of stuff we don't need.

• Like 4

If only Aldi did the same thing.  I would never shop again.

i only wished we had an Aldi store where I live.  How does one go about getting one to come to your area?  I know...this is a different topic...but since it was my thread to begin with, I figured I have permission to change topics....or rather...just add an additional one. :)

• Like 1

I wouldn't.

It would be a ton more work for me to write up a detailed grocery list for someone else--every brand, every detail, every.single item--than just go get what I need myself. Half of what I buy I think up or remember when I'm there. Plus we live 3 minutes from the grocery; why would I want to wait for someone else to get what I could get myself right now? And then I'd have to be home when they make the delivery. For my life, it would be PITA.

I have done it through Kroger. They save your shopping data so it's easy to select the brands and sizes you like. Plus there is a comment section to explain exactly how you prefer your bananas (or whatever) to look. The first time is kind of a pain but after that it's super easy to use.

• Like 5

I would assume you could store a standard grocery list and just call it up whenever you are ready to shop - add or subtract a couple things as needed.

I already use Amazon for non-perishable groceries.  It's just so much easier when you don't have to carry big bulky stuff.  Then you can just pick up your milk, bread, and produce on a quick trip.  But sometimes even that is difficult.

And I agree about the impulse buying too.  :)

I haven't read all the replies so I am probably repeating what has been said.

Loads of grocery stores around here do it.  It's very common and lots of people do it.  I haven't done it, simply because I can't get my act together to buy more than one or two days' worth of food at a time. But if/when I ever do - heck yeah, I'll do it. 

I can't figure out what there would be to feel guilty about.  It is a service they provide for anyone, and you can be sure they profit from it.  

• Like 1

I use it and love it.  I menu plan while I shop online and it helps me plan a menu with sale items more so I can save money.  It also makes it easier on me because it saves me time and I can have either DD or DH pick up the groceries when they are already out doing other things.  It does take a bit of planning ahead so I can pick the time slot I want, but that isn't a big deal. 

• Like 2

This service is coming to my local grocery store very soon.  I am not sure if I will use it, and I probably live too far out of town for delivery.   This is a really small town and the grocery story and Dollar General are the only things open past 6 so I usually do my grocery shopping while I am waiting to pick up my girls. I may use it if I am going to be passing through and I just need a few things.

I wouldn't.

It would be a ton more work for me to write up a detailed grocery list for someone else--every brand, every detail, every.single item--than just go get what I need myself. 

This. It would be much harder for me to make a list, go online, type it all in and place my order than just to swing by the store on the way home from work and pick up what I need.

Most of my purchases are fresh fruit and vegetables. I want to see  the produce before I buy it.

And I like to take advantage of discounted items near expiration date. How would I order "I want all the multi grain baguettes you have on the discount shelf, but no more than 5, and only if the price is below $1.79"?

But then, I am able bodied and don't have 8 children. I can definitely see the value of the service.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Most of our grocery stores around here offer it. I used it a few times in the past when my twins were much younger and one (or both) were sick and I didn't want to drag them around the store.

We now have Amazon Prime Now in our area and get free shipping (minus a tip) within two or four hours....game changer! Last week my new vacuum cleaner and eggs were delivered in led than two hours because, you know, I just HAD to have that vacuum cleaner that day :p

Our store just started this service. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve used it once, when they had $10 off and free delivery for your first order. It was so awesome. I would probably do it often if it were reasonable. They do have a pay $149 for a year offer on the delivery fee.

Here they also will deliver for $16. I think that's kick butt.

• Like 1

I haven't used it. I don't really mind shopping now that it's mostly just me and DH and we don't need a boatload of groceries. I see no reason that anyone who wants to and can afford it should hesitate to use it. It's a service they offer. Using it is helping provide a job for someone. I often see the personal shoppers and as far as I can tell they seem to be trying to do a good job.

I do it most weeks.  My store charges $10, but there's always a coupon code for $10 off. Sometimes $25 off if your total is high enough, saving you more money than if you shopped yourself.  They also have online deals that aren't available if you shop for yourself. Our store clearly WANTS us to use the service.

My Kroger and Walmart do this but I've never used the service. I actually like going to the grocery store. Of course, I no longer have young children and I don't have a busy schedule. I'm at the grocery store at least 5 days a week. One of those days is our big weekly shopping trip but there is always something that comes up that can't wait until the next big trip.

I agree with others, use the service if you want to guilt free. It's just another way to get your business.

• Like 2

This. It would be much harder for me to make a list, go online, type it all in and place my order than just to swing by the store on the way home from work and pick up what I need.

I do find it to be more work than shopping myself, but it's work I can do when the store is closed, or while I'm supervising school work, or watching tv, or keeping an eye on dinner, etc...  Basically, I get a lot more done by squeezing it into available time than I do blocking out two hours of my day to drive and shop.

(I do everything in my power to avoid stopping on my way home from anywhere because I usually have 4 starving kids with me, lol.)

• Like 2

I love it.  I actually love going to the grocery store, but sometimes having my groceries show up at my door is the most awesome thing ever.   Going online for the first time is kind of a pain, but my store saves grocery lists, so repeat trips are easier.  My absolute favorite is to have groceries delivered the evening after we get back from an out of town trip.  No dragging my tired self to the store for breakfast milk and bread.

• Like 1

I do this. I pay $4.95, and free up 90 minutes of my week.  How is that not a great time/money trade off? On the business end of things, it's a great way to get repeat business/large orders/happy & loyal customers. In my area, it's mostly high school and college students who are the grocery "pickers".  They do a great job.

• Like 1

I do use the online function to make my grocery list with exact prices but I don't trust them to pick out my food or keep it at the right temps.  I saw the clicklist kid last week wandering around produce with ice cream in his cart.... by the time he was done it was probably half melted... no thanks.  Also, I'm not going to pay someone to do something I sort of like doing.  If I still had little kids or had a disability.... or even just had a job I might feel differently.

I've used it a couple of times. Generally it's not worth the extra money for me and not done the way I want (e.g. despite my comment "No Plastic Bags," they individually bagged every single produce item in plastic and then put them in the paper bags that way! because it's a problem if mangoes touch each other??), so I didn't stick with it.

I think it makes sense to try it and see if you like it.

I do that sometimes, but I get delivery instead (delivery is 'free' in that I have bought it using loyalty points).  The system holds onto my favourites, so making an order is really quick and easy.  You can choose whether you want them to substitute a particular thing if it's out of stock.  If you don't like the substitution, you just hand it back. If something is not good quality, you either hand it back or just call up and they remove it from your bill.

Edited by Laura Corin

Why on earth would you feel guilty?  What's to feel guilty about?  Its not like you're using up Meals on Wheels volunteer services meant to serve a needy population or something; the store is doing it because they've made a business calculation that it makes sense for them.

Our grocery store does this and it serves all sorts of people -- those with limited physical mobility; those who are wrangling multiple kids and would rather not deal with doing that in the store; those who work and have time to shop online at 11pm and to sweep up to the pickup spot at 6:30 but not to stroll the aisles from 6:30-7:45; those who have sleeping toddlers in carseats; those who have one partner doing the ordering and another picking stuff up... all kinds of circumstances that make such a service valuable.

Give it a try and do not give one more moment's thought as to its appropriateness.  They're doing it because they think it'll bring in business, no more no less.

• Like 3

What I didn't care for is them calling me three times once to ask me questions about my order. Then when I got there there were several items they didn't have. So one at a time we had to go through...do you want to substitute this for that...etc. etc.

Right there between the phone calls and the inspection, more time was wasted than what I would spend going to the grocery myself and getting exactly what I want. Packed without plastic or disposable bags and no stress about missing items or substitutions I don't want/don't need/don't like/can't use.

Ha! The whole idea of it actually stresses me out! Lol