Menu

Traditions that need to die a fiery death

Moxie

I still need to make gingerbread men with ds and cut out sugar cookies with dd today. I'm still trying to convince my kids that brandy to warm Santa up would be better than hot cocoa that will be cold by the time he gets to our house. My dad started the brandy for Santa tradition when I was a kid. I've decided he was very smart.

• Like 13

Brandy for Santa is an excellent idea!

And I have it on excellent authority that Santa likes a break from the traditional cookie on occasion.  Fudge sounds lovely. 

One year we left out smoked salmon and ritz crackers because the cookies gotten eaten earlier that day.  Santa was MOST pleased (as was Mr. Cat, apparently....)

• Like 5

I don't get the cookie thing at all this time of year, cookie exchanges, cookie this, cookie that. It's just cookies. Not special. I don't want any as I'm saving my calories for real desert. Not everyone is a baker. I'm going to stick to my core competencies and not hoist my mediocre cookies onto the world.

Wow, I guess I needed to get that out. Thanks OP for the opportunity.

I would tell your kids Santa has had it up to here with the cookies and he'd so much rather some chocolate...

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 7

When I was growing up, I never left cookies because I felt he got so many from all the other kids. I wanted to stand out and be different and get better toys. I remember leaving carrots, a peanut butter sandwich, and crackers. I didn't start the food tradition with my own children.

• Like 2

DD#2 (just turned 5), when asked by a restaurant server recently whether we would be leaving milk and cookies out for Santa:

(spoilered in case little people are reading over shoulders)

"Welllllllllll, Mommy is Santa. And Mommy doesn't really like to drink milk. So no, I don't think we'll be leaving milk out for Santa."

• Like 7

In NL, kids don't leave snacks for Sinterklaas*. They sometimes leave something for his horse though - an apple or a carrot. I do remember thinking though, as I handed my kids carrots, that I hoped my mom would wash them really well before using them, after taking them out of their stinky boots.

*ETA: and this is probably why Santa Claus is so much rounder than Sinterklaas.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 6

We've never left cookies and milk for Santa.  My mom doesn't like milk (I never have either) so that's probably why we didn't leave milk.  Cookies, well, we usually didn't have any laying around.  Growing up and now with my kids whatever we feel like is left for Santa.  One year it was baby carrots.

• Like 1

I know, DH is sitting there, promising cookies for Santa to DD. I said, no, you don't know if we'll have cookies for Santa. Really? As if he's going to make that happen? Don't oblige me to something else after all the bajillion things I've already done. 🙄

Edited by displace
  • Like 5

I would just like to share this: my dear mother used to make bourbon balls at Christmas time when I was 6-10 years old. She'd store them in a tin above the exhaust fan above the stove. Her dad loved them, so they were part of his Christmas present.

Guess who really enjoyed eating them? 

And could climb on top of the counter and reach the tin?

• Like 3

My brother and I used to leave a pile of the tiny nubs that are inside a peanut when you split it in half. We were always convinced that that was the best part of the peanut. Never seemed odd as a kid but now it really does.

Umm, you win. Super odd!

• Like 1

Mine are older and well beyond Santa, but more than once, Santa got slice-and-bake cookies from a roll bought at the grocery store with a few sprinkles on top. I'm not a cookie person, and probably shouldn't be anyway because I've been a pre-diabetic "on notice" for over fifteen years now.

This year DD baked two batches of cookies, and we bought two pies at the grocery store. Mr. and Mrs. Santa approve!

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

We used to put out pretzels. On a Texas-shaped dish. Because that's what my father liked. (Can you guess where he was born?)

(And it amused us, because our father had the whole hair and beard thing down. Little children would run after him calling for "Santa" in several different languages!)

• Like 2

I would totally skip the cookies if possible. Alas, it's not. I will be baking cookies after guests leave tomorrow. Aaagh!

I am going to try to convince DD that bakery Christmas cookies are adequate but I feel defeat on its way.

We leave carrots for the reindeer, and cheese for Santa Mouse.

And this year, thanks to an unfortunate glitter explosion - we have reindeer food to scatter on the lawn.

Santa will probably get two fingers of Jack while trying to assemble a balance bike and stuff it in a bag. We'll leave Die Hard on for him to watch too.

We are out of cookies and I really don't want to make more. The stuff is out... just don't wanna.

And this year, thanks to an unfortunate glitter explosion - we have reindeer food to scatter on the lawn.

I'm trying to think of a *fortunate* glitter explosion and coming up with zilch.

• Like 4

I always envisioned and shot for a laid back Christmas Eve.

Then, when our oldest was 2 or 3, DH told him Santa liked freshly baked cookies best.

Did I mention our oldest is autistic?

So I spent the next decade baking fresh cookies on Christmas Eve. Usually after working 2-3 services at our church. Over the years I have been able to morph it into something more manageable (having all the kids in on the secret helps). Now we make cookie dough on the 23rd and carry it with us to the church where the kids bake and share with the staff and volunteers who spend up to 7 hours on the 24th making multiple services happen.