Menu

How much was your electricity bill last month?

Janie Grace

In the summer it's very low, less than 100$. But I live in the NE and we don't have air conditioning.  I also have gas for cooking, the dryer and heating hot water. Our heat is hot water baseboard, so also gas. 

Our gas bill in the summer is super low, but in the winter it's more because of heating the water for the heat...but it's still not much.

What kills me are all the fees. We pay more in taxes and fees...for the privileged of just getting the power delivered to our house, than we pay for the actual power we use.  If we used nothing for the entire month, I think we would still have to pay about 75$ a month.

We tried to go solar this past year but our roof was juuuuuuust a bit too small. Maybe in the future?  But we use very little electricity. The company we worked with to maybe go solar didn't believe we have four people living in the house, lol.  Our electricity usage is super low for our area.  I think it's because we don't have a big TV entertainment center thing. We have a laptop for watching stuff and that's it. 

• Like 1

I am relieved to say $149. We were out of town when a relay broke on our air conditioning system. The outside unit was running but no cool air was being forced into the house. Hence the outside unit was running...and running. We had no idea for how long.

That bill could have been much worse!

Ours was $127, 9.6c per kilowatt hour, in a 1900 sq ft house.  I have a rule in the summer that our air is never set more than 20 degrees less than the outside. On days where it was 104, it was 84 in the house, dropping down to set at 80 at night.  We keep off electronics unless we're using them and grill a lot.  We also use fans to help during the hardest part of the day.

We're on budget billing so it's $123/month for both natural gas and electricity. Sometimes it's more and sometimes it's less. They can adjust our payment twice a year. We have paid more and less depending on the heating/cooling season. Last month I believe the actual combined gas/electric was $172. All but about $20 of that was for electricity. ETA: That was for a little over 1000kwh. We have central a/c.

Edited by mamaraby

I don't recall exactly but I think typical for summer for us. We have a budget plan so they spread out the summer highs and lows for us, and it evens out. What kills me is if we have a long cold winter and a long hot summer -- I rely on March/April and September/October to not need nigh heat or AC to balance it all out, or I get hit with a bill on January when it resets for the year. We have AC window units (6 of them -- 1 in each bedroom, 1 in the office/music room, and 1 to cool the entire downstairs) and only heat the upstairs and laundry room with electric heat; the first floor is heated with wood heat from our outdoor furnace.

But, this year: pregnant woman. Nuff said. I'm absolutely miserable if I'm not near the AC. I can just barely tolerate the kitchen (the AC unit is in the schoolroom next door and barely cools the kitchen).

But we don't pay for water or sewer, although we have to maintain those ourselves. I can't picture how expensive laundry and dishes and baths would be.

Edited by happypamama

Ours was $334 for gas and electric combined.  Higher than usual but our AC was dying (18 years old and undersized for our house as well) so it ran at least 20 hours a day.  If I even turned on a burner the ac would run for hours to try to compensate for the heat. Anyways last week they replaced the AC and furnace so I'm hopefully the next bill will be better.

Our bill for July was $85. for 802 KW hours.  2400 sq. ft. house.  I don't turn the a/c on until after 4PM and usually turn it off by 11PM.  There are times we run it earlier in the day and all night, like when it hits 100+ for a week.  The weather has cooled; right now it's a beautiful 84 outside and no a/c.  I have a gas water heater and hang the laundry on the line.  The highest bill we've had over the last 3 years was $120.

$148 2000 sq ft house in south Texas- I guess I chose a great electric company and got a great rate :)

Mine was about the same but our house is a little bigger. We keep our house comfortable and I'm home pretty much all day. It's been in the 90's almost every day.

A local FB page asked this question awhile ago and answers were all over the map in my little town. It seems newer houses, even with cheap windows, are more energy efficient. Our electricity bill is half what many people pay who live in much smaller homes than what my family has. It is also much cheaper than when we lived in our 1100 sq foot house with the 40 or 50 year old air conditioner.

$295 for an 1800 sq. ft. house - built in 1969, all electric including stove, old windows, old a/c unit. The air conditioner runs 24/7 for months (longer than just calendar summer) however it's higher than normal this year. It's been really hot even by Florida standards and we've had to keep the temperature lower than we usually do just for it to keep up with the heat. We look forward to winter when we can open the windows and have a low bill - usually under $100.

We really need to replace our a/c unit. Everyone we know who has done so especially if their house is old, has said it paid for itself quickly with much lower electric bills. 

We are on average billing, and it runs $420-$450 year round.  I have two with medical conditions so we can never open windows, but they must be kept cool.  The kitchen is a separate area that has a window a/c.  The waterheater for the main house is electric and everyone takes 1-2 showers a day, sometimes more if it rains and they get muddy.  We wash and dry 4-6 loads of laundry a day.  We use propane for heating the main house and kitchen, the kitchen waterheater, and the stove.

Highest this year: $118  It usually runs just under $100

We have a swamp cooler, no refrigerated AC.  Propane water heater.

Don't ask what our propane costs in the winter.  Ugh.

Just curious - we have a propane water heater also - would you share how much it runs you for propane per month.

i live in upstate NY and we are paying around $85 per month just for propane alone.

$16

We don't have central a/c- live at 6200 feet. We do have a plug in one for our living room and run it in the afternoons/evening (not this week). I was surprised at how low it was. I don't miss the Midwest that is for sure. Our house is also very well insulated. We have a stucco exterior and I think that really helps. Our windows suck though.

Just curious - we have a propane water heater also - would you share how much it runs you for propane per month.

i live in upstate NY and we are paying around $85 per month just for propane alone.

We have a propane water heater. Last winter we spent just over $600 for the season, but propane was super cheap last year. We have radiant heat in our floors, so the water heater runs a lot in the winter, basically keeping the whole first floor warm. 

I'm too embarrassed to say how high our bill was. 😠We are on a budget bill plan so our bill is the same each month except for August. That's when we pay any extra charges for higher than expected months. Plus it was super hot and humid here and all four of our children were home. Plus we have an old air conditioning unit that obviously isn't very efficient.

Let's just say I bet I have the highest bill. ☹ï¸

Shockingly high. Over $400. It was hot and yes, we did run the AC a little more than usual due to the heat and poor air quality, though we keep the daytime temp @ 80 degrees and when we run it at night we only bump it down to 74. I am just sick. The energy company seems to raise its rates every month.

Edited by KrissiK