Menu

Light happy stuff to talk about...

SparklyUnicorn

I don't know about you, but I could use a bit of a break from all the heavy disheartening news.  So share something light and happy.

My older kid (14) is visiting family in CT, as he does every year.  And every year he stops by the library to say hello to his favorite librarian.  The most amazing thing to me is we left CT just before he turned 4.  He hasn't forgotten about her in all these years.

• Like 41

We're getting a puppy next Friday and I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!!  

Also, after a horrific fall and three weeks in the hospital, my MIL is out and in a rehab facility.  They're estimating two more weeks and she can go home.  Seeings how they were calling it "life or death" for a while, it's good to know she's healing.

• Like 19

My oldest dd sent me a video of my 10 mo old granddaughter walking around the living room. Then she stopped, waved at me (phone),and clapped for herself. Made my heart soar. For a few moments I could almost believe everything was okay in the world.

• Like 20

I have an interview at school today for another scholarship. I head out this weekend for a history conference, which is going to stretch my introverted self, but it's going to be a blast. 

I'm considering getting another cat. I have a dog whom I adore, and our last cat passed away last fall. I'm probably nuts because we don't need a cat, but the one I'm considering is so stinkin' adorable. 

• Like 14

My kids are both working this summer, so I'm looking forward to a couple of days a week home alone to finally get some projects done.  Like organizing the big pile of folders of homeschool work and sorting books I hope to sell.   I'm also looking forward to them having some days off that match up, so we can do some fun things together.  (My son's schedule is static but my daughter's changes weekly.)  The last few years have not been great here but things are looking up!   

• Like 11

My chickens laid their first eggs yesterday- four in one day. And my Doberman, who somehow contracted severe pnemonia, is well on the road to recovery. :)

My DH's boss reviewed the results of his first "leadership review" (done by his team about him). They graded him way above the average and he received the highest score in his boss's purview, and he was only promoted last year! The lowest mark he got was for being a doer instead of a delegator. They must have all thought being a doer is a good thing! (And I think it is, in his job, lol, but 90 percents across the board, pretty much, then this one 30%.)

Anyway, I'm very proud of him!

• Like 11

Let's see.... My friend since high school (she was my maid of honor) her boyfriend and daughter are staying in our camper for the summer, Saturday my mom, middle brother (the one that had a heart attack) and my nieces and nephew are coming, Sunday we are having a going away family gathering for my youngest brother (and I think I'm getting my new desk 🤓) and on the 24th we are leaving for a week for dh to take his (hopefully last) CDT exam and move my youngest brother to OKC. It's a busy couple of weeks but I'm so happy that things are looking up for us and those that we care for :)

• Like 9

My youngest grandson just turned a year and we are having his birthday party Sunday. He is just the most precious little booger with soft little red curls and gorgeous crystal-blue eyes. He makes my heart melt.

Also, thank you for this thread. :)

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 9

Our positive news:

Ds1 starts his internship next week!

Ds2 just started work at a grocery store. He thinks lifting those gallons of milk will make him buff. :p  (He's 6'4" and barely 150 lbs.)

I am finally *finally* getting around to watching Gilmore Girls and loving it!

• Like 8

Thank you for starting this! It is very needed!

My ds1 (who struggles) finally got to the geometry chapter in math that just comes naturally to him. Major confidence booster.

We are counting down the days and getting super excited for our first ever family vacation. We are taking a month long road trip through several states with a mini van, a tent, and minimal camping gear. We will stay at national parks and also with some family along the way.

• Like 9

We watched the Mythbusters' "most dangerous myth ever" (their words, imploding a railway tanker car) and my son is set on replicating. We may not have a tanker car, but he has grabbed every empty bottle and jug he can find, lol.

Edited by Guest

Having a tough time with yet another medical thing for my ds.  Supposed to be packing for vacation in two days (which isn't going to be a picnic, but whatever).  Feeling down and low-energy this morning.

When I really need a lift, I pull up the New Content page and glance over any two thread titles (potentially skipping words), especially if they're next to each other, until something not making sense is funny.  So for example, "Kindle paperwhite or voyage, going from 4 to 5 just seems so hard"  or "when you buy a bag of mini reeses, if money were no object..."  Typically, more serious thread titles joined with less serious ones make me laugh even when I don't want to.

• Like 10

We are going camping at Niagara Falls over 4th of July weekend. I've never been there so I'm pretty excited.

I'm almost done painting my house.

My mom and sister are coming across the country to visit us next month. :D

My guys will be in the re enactment at Fort Niagara that weekend- you should check it out, it's a good one!

• Like 8

Our town finally installed a backboard (Ralleyboard) at the local high school courts.  I have been here 15 years and this is the first wall available to hit against.  It's a miracle!  Especially when the state is broke, the school district is broke; the city is broke.  I am not asking where the money came from. I am simply going out every morning and using that wall to the best of my ability. 

90 mins yesterday

75 mins today

It has been a glorious way to begin my day!!

(I am standing in front of the tennis courts in my profile pic.)

Edited by ScoutermominIL
  • Like 9

My auntie turns 99 this week. She's in the kitchen baking cupcakes with two of her sisters (also in their 90s), arguing about who will make a better president.  None of them are citizens. They don't vote. And they're in there arguing like they're heavily invested in this election! You can tell they're getting mad at each other when they switch away from using English LOL.

I don't know why but I'm amused by the sight that even in their 90s, they're still bickering like kids. I guess you never outgrow being someone's annoying sister. :lol:

• Like 29

My best friend is flying in from Seattle today and we are going to a wedding this weekend of another one of our best friend's daughters.

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself.  Her flight gets in at 3pm.

• Like 11

I had always screwed up while making my sourdough. I used to give up for a few years, go back and try it, screw up, give up etc. We have the Boudin sourdough store almost next door and would pick up our bread from there.

Today, for some reason, my recipe worked and I baked and edible sourdough bread for the first time in my life :)

• Like 15

My adult daughter who is teaching English to adults in Seoul, South Korea, sent my husband a ticket for Father's Day with an invitation to come and stay with her for about ten days.  She'll have a four day weekend off while he's there, so they may have a chance to see something of the country.  My husband was shocked and is very happy.

While my husband is gone, I'll be going out of town to visit two old friends who live in California.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 16

The tummy bug we have isn't fun or happy, but the excuse to neglect any kind of work, cuddle, and watch movies is wonderful!

I should take more time for this when we aren't all sick. My babies love to cuddle with their Mama, and I know they won't always.

I tell myself I'm going to schedule these days when we're well, but always forget. Myabe I'll call them Winter Cuddle Days. :)
  • Like 3

DD learned how to crawl on Sunday.  I thought she'd want to chase around big brother or the cats, but no, she's more interested in trying to eat the broom while I'm sweeping.  Like, full-on happy-shrieking, wild-eyed baby lunging for the broom whenever she sees it.

• Like 11

I am irrationally happy about going to get my hair done at a beauty school Saturday. I go maybe once a year. It's one of the very few pampering things I can do and afford.The place is quite nice and smells like fragrant herbal hair potions. I'm getting my massive, thick, straight hair thinned out and trimmed. My hair is going to be "light and happy" for the summer. 

• Like 10