Menu

s/o- What are some of the less intimidating team mascots you've heard of?

Amira

The browns lol. Insert cleveland joke.

They have a cute, but large dog. Not, incidentally, named Brown. Like all things cleve, it doesnt completely make sense. Ohhh got that cleve jab in afterall.

There's the Stanford Cardinal. No, not the Cardinals: the color.

I know an Ohio school that uses Tartan - just the pattern. At one point it was on a lion for sports but most of the time it was just Tartan. I have no idea why one would have a lion wearing tartan hat and kilt either.

My last high school had Lumberjack and Lumberjills which didn't seem very intimidating - though that may be because they were very much connected in school to

.. "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay..."

Our local professional football team is the Rams - their biggest rival? The Forest... 

Most schools around here, middle England, don't use mascots as much as the ones in the US where I went to school. Even our local Uni doesn't really have much of one. Kids teams here tend to just use the city or parish or similar names instead, mascots seem to be more for adult teams. Weird difference I hadn't thought of before. 

Edited by SporkUK
  • Like 3

My high school was the Blue Streaks. What the heck is a Blue streak??

I am partial to the University of California-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs

University of Arkansas-Monticello has the Boll Weevil-which is actually pretty scary for cotton growers, but not terribly intimidating

• Like 4

My high school was the Blue Streaks. What the heck is a Blue streak??

I am partial to the University of California-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs

University of Arkansas-Monticello has the Boll Weevil-which is actually pretty scary for cotton growers, but not terribly intimidating

Well, a person can "talk a blue streak." Alternatively, i think its a tank or a missile type...

There's the Stanford Cardinal. No, not the Cardinals: the color.

I thought it was the Stanford Tree. (I mention that only because it was the topic of a dinner conversation w/ my dad recently.)

(from wikipedia):

The Stanford Tree is the Stanford Band's mascot and the unofficial mascot of Stanford University. Stanford's team name is "Cardinal", referring to the vivid red color (not the common song bird as at several other schools), and the university has never been able to come up with an official mascot. The Tree, in various versions, has been called one of America's most bizarre and controversial college mascots.

The tree does seem aggressive & out of control though. :lol:

• Like 8

My cousin used to work as a mascot for a team called the Drops.  They were sponsored by a lawn-care company, so really the mascot was for the company.  I guess it was supposed to be fertilizer, though maybe it was a pesticide which would be more frightening.  But it didn't give a very martial impression.

• Like 2

Vanderbilt is the Commodores....named after Cornelius Vanderbilt.   A ruthless businessman, but not really a warrior of sorts.   At football games (Vandy is notoriously bad), people used to hold signs along the lines of "you may beat us today, but you'll work for us later."

Of course, one could also think of the Lionel Ritchie band. 

• Like 6

Ah--you're right--I misread the thread title.

I thought it was the Stanford Tree. (I mention that only because it was the topic of a dinner conversation w/ my dad recently.)

(from wikipedia):

https://youtu.be/VE1ic3kXmjo

The two are combined on the official Stanford tie, which is cardinal-colored with a large Stanford "S" on which is superimposed a slender ponderosa pine tree. The fact that the resulting image from any distance is a dollar sign is of no consequence. :D

(Hook 'em Horns!)

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 4

While driving through the Florida panhandle I saw a school whose mascot was the Hobos. As in homeless person of the twenties with a stick holding a bag of his belongings. 

Edited by Aras
  • Like 4

Santa Cruz's banana slugs was my first thought too...

The Oregon Ducks, complete with Donald Duck images, are also not so threatening.

Hey! We ducks are tough! You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...

;)

Isn't there a team call the corn huskers?

White Sox and Red Sox are funny when you think about it. We're just accustomed to hosiery being a team name.

Also, are there other teams besides the Cubs named for cute *baby* animals?

Eta: I love the tree!

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 5

(from wikipedia):

He took out the Hokie Bird, which I maintain is a docile mascot. Never seen him with an ax before.

• Like 3

He took out the Hokie Bird, which I maintain is a docile mascot. Never seen him with an ax before.

Back in the days before everyone had a cell phone camera, the Fighting Irish Leprechaun might have been taken out by some overzealous Air Force Academy Cadets. They entire class was locked down for a weekend as punishment. There is always a big Air Force Notre Dame rivalry, but that does not excuse hurting an innocent Leprechaun.

• Like 4

Well, I've heard of Trojan for an elementary school team, which seems a bit off to me, but whatever.  (I know it's a reference to the Trojan war, but I think culturally the name has been reassigned.)

Let's see, any team that's a color - Reds, white sox, etc.

Buckeyes, Browns, Steelers, Packers, Oilers, Huskers, ....

• Like 2

My high school used to be "The Coachmen". A few years ago they changed it. Sadly. My kids still laugh at any mention of my alma mater. They make all kinds of cracks about crazy coach drivers (pony express jokes included)...uber driver comments...road rage jokes. It's really funny. I think they should have kept it for tradition, and novelty.

• Like 3

Well, I've heard of Trojan for an elementary school team, which seems a bit off to me, but whatever.  (I know it's a reference to the Trojan war, but I think culturally the name has been reassigned.)

Not to get too WTM-ey here, but do you think those who pick the mascot "Trojan" for their teams remember that the Trojans lost their famous war, and had their city burned to the ground?

And, it seems like many mascots are from the losing side, or the side that was terrifying for a while, but eventually lost:  Trojans, Indians, Chiefs, Vikings, Warriors, Pirates, etc.

Edited by GGardner
  • Like 3