Menu

How much do you spend on Easter baskets?

Southern Ivy

How much do you spend on Easter baskets?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend on Easter baskets?

• $0-$10
    • $10-$20
    • $20-$30
    • $30-$40
    • $40-$50
    • $50+

So, I was buying stuff for dd's easter basket tonight and started wondering about the average cost of an Easter basket (per kid/basket...or however you do it in your family). 

Oh, and not in the poll, but what goodies do you usually put into your basket? 

This year, I bought her a Princess Belle doll and Belle's Palace Pet, a princess water bottle, and some princess themed candy. (She mentioned that she wanted a princess basket, so I tried to accommodate.) It wasn't overly expensive, but more than I had originally intended to spend. 

Edited by Southern Ivy

My kids are 6 & 2 and easy to please. We do a small chocolate bunny ($1-$3), one bag of candy in eggs ($3), and a couple $5-$10 items each. I usually give them something I'd buy anyway that just happens to be available or needed near Easter, like the latest DVD in a series they like or a new water bottle for soccer season. This year I got 50% off Green Toys (sea plane, boat, submarine) to replace their moldy bath toys.

(I voted $20-30 in the poll, but that is per kid)

Edited by AndyJoy
  • Like 1

So, I was buying stuff for dd's easter basket tonight and started wondering about the average cost of an Easter basket. 

Oh, and not in the poll, but what goodies do you usually put into your basket? 

This year, I bought her a Princess Belle doll and Belle's Palace Pet, a princess water bottle, and some princess themed candy. (She mentioned that she wanted a princess basket, so I tried to accommodate.) It wasn't overly expensive, but more than I had originally intended to spend. 

Same as with stockings, they get candy, a new toothbrush and toothpaste, other toiletries but cutsey ones, hairbands for the girls and hair mousse for the boy, new school supplies, and maybe a gift card. I do not go all out. We probably spend $15/kid.

• Like 1

Lindt chocolate rabbit

Cadbury eggs, large, filled

Cadbury mini eggs, candy coated

Jelly beans

Gumdrops if I can find them

NO peeps!

I divide up packages of candy among the baskets and reuse baskets. Under $10 per basket.

Btw, I use shredded paper grass and not the plastic stuff that static clings itself all over the house, lol.

Edited by Alessandra

We spend quite a bit, honestly, but I avoid cheap toys or junk and there's very little candy. So far I have an outdoor toy for each of them (hanging rings for B and extra arrows for E) and a new book for each of them. I'm thinking about rainboots? But trying to decide if they'll get enough use to justify. Maybe some glow sticks and new flashlights since we're camping the following weekend. They both need new swimsuits. I found a magic school bus/plane Ben will flip over, so that just leaves a toy for E (small lego kit?), and odds and ends like chapstick and a chocolate bunny and jellybeans. 

So once all that is said and done? $40-50 per basket, but most of it is useful or needed. I've been eyeing those outdoor toys for months and it just gives me an excuse....

• Like 4

You are all giving me a terrible case of candy envy. Due to multiple LTFAs, our candy is limited. A safe chocolate bunny is $18. A small pack of safe chocolate Easter "drops" (not even eggs, just a weird shape wrapped in pastel foil) is $12 plus change. Plus shipping costs. And double the bunnies because DD doesn't have allergies but all food in our house is safe, because DS deserves one safe space in his life. Safe jelly beans aren't too pricey, in small packs. But that's it for candy. :)

So - I didn't vote, I didn't want to throw off the results with our outrageously expensive candy.

Other than candy, we do little stuff that's already been mentioned. Travel sized games, water bottles, books. Mad Libs. I used to put in audiobooks on cd, or movies, but we don't seem to access books/movies that way anymore. DS is getting a labyrinth puzzle egg, and a volcanic eruption egg this year. Art supplies. Fidget toys.

We re-use the same baskets every year, but each year I have a, "what was I thinking when I bought these baskets?!" moment, as they are on the large size. :D

• Like 4

You are all giving me a terrible case of candy envy. Due to multiple LTFAs, our candy is limited. A safe chocolate bunny is $18. A small pack of safe chocolate Easter "drops" (not even eggs, just a weird shape wrapped in pastel foil) is $12 plus change. Plus shipping costs. And double the bunnies because DD doesn't have allergies but all food in our house is safe, because DS deserves one safe space in his life. Safe jelly beans aren't too pricey, in small packs. But that's it for candy. :)

So - I didn't vote, I didn't want to throw off the results with our outrageously expensive candy.

Other than candy, we do little stuff that's already been mentioned. Travel sized games, water bottles, books. Mad Libs. I used to put in audiobooks on cd, or movies, but we don't seem to access books/movies that way anymore. DS is getting a labyrinth puzzle egg, and a volcanic eruption egg this year. Art supplies. Fidget toys.

We re-use the same baskets every year, but each year I have a, "what was I thinking when I bought these baskets?!" moment, as they are on the large size. :D

I try to reuse the same basket, but the first basket was way too "Pinterest-mom". It was an adorable stuffed chick basket that held little to no eggs. (Rookie mom move.) 

I can't find the cheapie basket from last year, so I had to buy another one this year.

Boo on the candy! :(

• Like 2

I bought a knock-off Lego set for $10 of dinosaurs. I'll split it between the boys.

I bought them each a new wall calendar. Yes, we're already 3 months into the year but they decided they want wall calendars. I found them for $5 and $6.

Gel pens and mechanical pencils--I'm not sure. I guess $5 for each package or a little less? I don't remember now.

So far it's about $15 per boy.

Then I bought:

Package of 5 cadbury eggs

Bag of cadbury mini eggs

Package of peeps

Bag of reece's pieces

Bag of kit kats.

The candy will be divided among the whole family, so everyone gets 1/4 of the candy.

Oh, and a $2 package of glow sticks.

So....I don't know how much the candy cost. $16 per boy on non-candy stuff and then a bunch of bags of candy.

This is really the first year I've included lots of other things besides just candy.

• Like 1

Another $40-$50 per kid. Too much, but I don't do a lot of candy and get them stuff they like/ use so it adds up. This year they are getting Legos and prismacolor coloring pencils, and Saints books. Gift card, a CD and bath and body works body spray for young adult.

• Like 1

I spend probably $30-40 per kid, but most of it is stuff I would be buying for them, anyway. Each kid usually gets a few packs of bunny fruit snacks, a pair of sunglasses, new sandals or rainboots, bubbles and/or sidewalk chalk, coloring book, new packs of markers and/or crayons and/or colored pencils, and a small Lego or playmobil set ($10 or under).

• Like 1

I spend a ridiculous amount on Easter baskets because I feel we have to compensate for severe food allergies. Our baskets contain board games, books, puzzles, some hobby items, Lego, etc.

But I'm most excited that this year the dc are getting chocolate bars. I found one that is safe for them to eat. It is the first chocolate bar ever for each of them.

• Like 10

I have no idea, but I'm always surprised by how expensive these little things are.  I usually buy the candy from Aldi (cheaper than anywhere else), but it still adds up.  One of mine isn't a fan of candy so I get him stuff like beef jerky and salty snacks.  Still, it adds up.  Kinda like how stupid stocking stuffers add up.

• Like 2

It has varied so much. Some years I use it as an excuse to get outdoor gear for the spring. So a good bit those years. But other years it's just chocolate bunnies and a few different candy treats, maybe a couple of trinkets.

I have no idea what I'm going to do this year. I already got the candy for the most part. Maybe I'll stick new books in there or something.

• Like 1

Dollar Tree- they each get a hula hoop, bubbles, a pack of sidewalk chalk, a jump rope, a chocolate bunny, water guns & kites.  

My mom gets them this otherwise that would be our EXACT basket! HTH my Easter twin.

• Like 2

$50-100 but the baskets contain real gifts not trinkets. Most gifts I buy have a practical side too. Clothing, coffee shop gift cards for group study nights, gasoline...etc. Giving gifts is my love language and the kids know that.  They fully support my loving them...lots!  LOL  

DD17 is getting a purse and/or a dress, Lindt chocolates, coffee gift card.

DS21 is getting a movie, piano book, Lindt chocolates, gift cards.

DD9 is getting a couple of puzzles, 2 pair of shorts, maybe a movie, MLP cup, new hair brush, and a small bit of good candy. 

I am also thinking about seeing if the Daddy Easter Bunny is willing to surprise the kids and go fill up both of their gas tanks for them Easter morning.  

It is amazing how fast things add up financially.  Even for dd9.  

2 puzzles=$20

2 pair shorts=$35

1 movie=$20

1 cup bought on clearance=$1

Hair brush on sale=$6

candy=$5

with sales tax, that is about $100.  

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

Meghan wants a few books-Guardian Herds-Landfall by Jennifer Lynn Alvarez, Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard (they are making the first book, Red Queen into a movie). and Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas for about thirty bucks. Some chocolate like Reece's pb eggs and a chocolate bunny-no Godiva because they practice child slave labor, so says she. I figure I would add some wacky socks, so about fifty bucks.

• Like 1

We get the chocolate bunnies from Aldi and sometimes a bag of chocolate eggs and jellybeans to share with the grownups.  They decorate the table before Easter and everyone oogles them for days.  We don't do baskets or egg hunts.  I'll live vicariously through Pinterest.  

• Like 1

I've never given anything except candy in baskets. Now that my kids are young adults, I buy only the one foot tall chocolate bunny for each of them. I can't remember how much it costs but last year I could find it only at Walmart. I hope thy have it this year. It's tradition.

• Like 1

We didn't do Easter baskets. :-)

I wish I had never started.  In my defense I really never did.  I blame my MIL.  One year she came for Easter and she wanted to know why I had not bought baskets.  Kids caught wind of that so I went out and bought stuff the day after Easter. 

Further proof she is mean...

• Like 5

I have no idea, but I'm always surprised by how expensive these little things are.  I usually buy the candy from Aldi (cheaper than anywhere else), but it still adds up.  One of mine isn't a fan of candy so I get him stuff like beef jerky and salty snacks.  Still, it adds up.  Kinda like how stupid stocking stuffers add up.

It really does add up fast, doesn't it? I had only intended to spend $30. But, (including the new basket which was nice and about $6), it ended up around $45. I don't like buying the premade baskets since they seem cheap and impersonal, but dang it if they aren't cheaper in the long run. 

I'd spend a lot more per kid if I didn't have as many as I do. We buy in bulk. This year I found drawstring backpacks, collapsible water bottles, sunglasses, and jump ropes so I guess we're going for an outdoor themed basket.

I think that's where the difference lies - the number of kids. 

I find that having just one, I tend to go overboard, even when I think I'm doing simple. 

Dollar Tree- they each get a hula hoop, bubbles, a pack of sidewalk chalk, a jump rope, a chocolate bunny, water guns & kites.  

I need to look there next time. I always forget about it. (I may add in some bubbles or a princess kite if I can find one.)

• Like 1

I said $50+ although it's not really on baskets. Their baskets include a bunny and 2 colored eggs (which indicate their egg colors for the easter egg hunt). We have oversized eggs and they usually include some good things -- probably baby soda bottle experiments, lip balm, bubble bath, bubbles, and hair accessories mostly, this year. 

It's hard to say though, because a lot o those things are things they would get anyway, but I store it away until Easter. The main issue is the Easter bunny gets credit for everything!

• Like 2

I have spent $21 this on average, and still need to get a small bit of candy for the egg hunt.

The teen skewed it.  Finding little stuffers for his tend to be slightly more expensive than for the little one.  When they're young, chalk, bubbles, seeds, and kites are all about a buck.  The teen got a twisty logic game and a folding cutlery set for camping this year.  Then $3.50 each for chocolate bunnies, a container of creme eggs, and a few other small candies and my total came to just over $42 for the two of them.

I don't think DS would even notice if I didn't do anything for Easter. It's totally not on our radar.

In the past I've included things he needs for spring sports: good swim googles, no tie laces for triathlons, tools for his bike, etc. but that stuff really never needs replacing (except the laces). He isn't into sweets and typically still has treats left from Christmas anyway so even a little something special seems unnecessary. It will just sit in the pantry until summer.

It should be easier having a kid who doesn't care about these things, but somehow it always seems more difficult.

• Like 1

I voted $50.00, but we never did individual baskets after the children were five or six years old. Instead we would buy something for the whole family to enjoy so that would then be a lot more expensive. One year it was tickets to a museum, another year a volleyball net for the yard, things like that.

When they were preschoolers, baskets were very simple and not filled with candy. Usually a book to read, a small toy, and a single candy bar, maybe some silly putty or something similar. Often we spent Easters with dh's folks in Florida so they got their baskets early and in it would find a few things to help keep them busy in the car as we had a 1400 mile trip ahead. MIL always had an Easter egg hunt at her house after we arrived.

• Like 1

I said $10 or under.  We reuse baskets, and usually there is a little chocolate thing in each, like a facier egg, or my dd11 loves peeps.  I hide chocolate eggs and that is mostly what goes in the basket.  Once I bought a pack of chalk bunnies and they each got one in their basket.

My MIL tends to go all out and get candy and junky toys.  I don't really care about the candy too much, but the toys I hate as they just take up room in the house and get broken, and dogs and babies try and eat them.  The kids think it is great though.

• Like 2

A couple years ago I got tired of storing the Easter baskets, but I also didn't want to have to buy new each year, so I bought some of those fabric cube storage boxes that you find at Target...brown, of course, because that is what color a "basket" should be.  Now I can just fold them flat and store them with the other Easter stuff.

I usually spend (per kid) about $10ish on books (often two or three used books in very good condition), about $10ish on a toy, about $5 on candy and about $5 in coins hidden in their egg-hunt eggs.

Wendy

• Like 2

I'm cheap, and I hate all the candy and junky toys that break easily. Now, with a teen, it would be pricey to get all of the little stuff - I had a hard enough time filling her stocking at Christmas this year. As for candy, they finally get through Halloween candy, and then there are Christmas stockings, and then Valentine's candy, and now Easter! I pared Easter way down a few years ago, and so far, no one has complained. 

I reuse one family basket. In it, there is a movie for the family (I don't buy movies except at Easter - they can sometimes talk DH into buying a movie) and 1 candybar per kid. So $20ish total for 3 kids. 

I'm guessing around $20-$30 per kid, but we avoid most candy (mostly because my kiddos are cursed with a mom who cannot control herself around sugar, whether it belongs to the kids or not). That also includes one item they need, usually a pair of shoes for spring, and a few tidbits -- sidewalk chalk, art supplies, seeds or little potted plants, etc. This year ds is getting an umbrella because he begs for one every time we go to the store, as well as "a tie like Daddy's" -- although that he'll get early because he'll wear it for school pictures next week.

• Like 1

I said $10 or under.  We reuse baskets, and usually there is a little chocolate thing in each, like a facier egg, or my dd11 loves peeps.  I hide chocolate eggs and that is mostly what goes in the basket.  Once I bought a pack of chalk bunnies and they each got one in their basket.

My MIL tends to go all out and get candy and junky toys.  I don't really care about the candy too much, but the toys I hate as they just take up room in the house and get broken, and dogs and babies try and eat them.  The kids think it is great though.

My in-laws give the worst junk. Like, for Christmas she got some table cloths that you can color on (I think they gave her one for Easter and one for NEXT Thanksgiving!  :confused1:  She also got about 100 cheap bracelets (Like, not even dollar store worthy.) I threw them all away. 

A couple years ago I got tired of storing the Easter baskets, but I also didn't want to have to buy new each year, so I bought some of those fabric cube storage boxes that you find at Target...brown, of course, because that is what color a "basket" should be.  Now I can just fold them flat and store them with the other Easter stuff.

I usually spend (per kid) about $10ish on books (often two or three used books in very good condition), about $10ish on a toy, about $5 on candy and about $5 in coins hidden in their egg-hunt eggs.

Wendy

That's a great basket idea!

This year we are scaling down for our 10 and 13-year-old boys. Usually, the baskets included toys, books, and movies, but this year it will be candy and two plushes: Terraria bunnies (~$5 each off Amazon, video game related) and tall 12" Peeps bunny plushes I couldn't resist at Target ($10 each). My oldest LOVES peeps and both boys collect plushes.  The candy is simple - 1 chocolate bunny with candy eyes, a bag of jelly beans to split, and a box of Peeps.  A bag of miniature candy bars to fill the eggs - yes, they still want an egg hunt and $25 Steam gift cards will do it. So about $50 each, but considerably less than in the past. 

As an aside, I justify the expenses as we really only gift them things 3 times a year - Christmas, birthday, Easter.  We might buy family movies or them books throughout the year, but video games and toys they must earn either by saving their weekly allowance or doing extra chores around the house.  My oldest has helped spring clean this year since he wanted to buy game related plush and T-shirt totaling $60. I won't spend more than $10 on a t-shirt. 

Lindt chocolate rabbit

Cadbury eggs, large, filled

Cadbury mini eggs, candy coated

Jelly beans

Gumdrops if I can find them

NO peeps!

I divide up packages of candy among the baskets and reuse baskets. Under $10 per basket.

Btw, I use shredded paper grass and not the plastic stuff that static clings itself all over the house, lol.

This is along the lines of what I do--one good quality chocolate, Cadbury mini eggs, Starburst jelly beans, a few Reese's eggs, and this year I'll add in some short Cow Tails because the kids like them and I found them on sale. If I run into some Girl Scout cookies I might send along a box in the package for my college age guys.

When the kids were small I used to go all sorts of efforts to avoid too much sugar. Around elementaryish age I went to this and still keep it up now they're teens. They're happy, plus it's cheaper and way easier for me.

• Like 1

Most years probably in the 10-20 range. I don't put stuff in baskets. I just have some nice Easter bags. However, DH does love his cream eggs, so if I add him in, we go up to about 25-30.

Typically I'll get some Peeps, a few cream eggs and a chocolate rabbit of some kind. This year I'm adding in some more of the mechanical pencils they like and a new notebook for writing stories in.

Probably around $10 per basket, except for my youngest who needs more expensive candy due to his food allergies.  We only do candy.  The baskets aren't a huge deal to them, they more look forward to our candy hunt.  We hide things like Hershey's kisses around the house and they get to look for them.