Menu

Humbug! I dislike wrapping.... so very much!!

mamiof5

3:45am. Just finished wrapping. I am officially, absolutely done!!! And it's not Christmas Eve. YAY! A first for me. But seriously?? Was up til 3:30 last night...wrapping presents too! And that's not counting a few gifts that were wrapped before, stuff that was mailed etc. Ugh!!! I can handle shopping, but would love to be able to pay someone to get my wrapping done. The good side? I AM DONE!!!! (Insert little dancing guys) :) Happy wrapping everyone!!! And Merry Christmas Eve!!! Yikes!!!! Officially Dec 24th for me ;) :) :) :)

I let my 7 yo dd do a large chunk of the wrapping.  The packages look a bit rough and I am sure more tape and paper was used than I would have but it is so so nice to have help.

Same dd also decorated most of the tree.  It isn't perfect but I love it.  After three male children it is so sweet to have a dd to help with these things.  

I often am thankful that I am not a perfectionist in these matters :)

• Like 5

Haha!  I actually love wrapping gifts.  It's so meditative to spend so much time making these beautiful packages that will very shortly be torn to shreds.  I love it!!!  It's like a vase-is-already-broken sort of thing for me.  

When I was a teen, my mom and grandma both used to pay me to wrap presents.  Loved. it.  :-D 

I haven't done it yet.  I'm saving my gift wrapping for last thing tonight so I can go to bed content.  lol

• Like 3

I haven't wrapped one single thing.  DH and I will be up wrapping until the wee hours tonight.   I remember years ago on here there was a poll about whether you wrap presents or not.  I was surprised how many people didn't (they arranged presents under the tree) and I begged DH to consider doing that.  Nope.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 1

Wow, you guys either must have way more gifts to wrap than I do, or you must be more elaborate than I am.

I just slap it together in probably under 5 min. per gift.  I wrapped a bunch the other night while watching TV and have probably another show's worth today.

• Like 1

I use bags that I've had sewn for years. The initial time invested making them is paid off ten hold each Christmas when it takes me about an hour to throw everything in a bag and tie it up. Depending on who is getting it, my knots are complicated enough to make it more challenging the wrapping paper.

• Like 8

I spend 3 or 4 afternoons throughout december doing it (I finish my shopping early). It's nice to do while watching TV or chatting on skype.

DH, on the other hand, is in the end room wrapping my presents at 11pm christmas eve, and we haven't even finished prepping our other traditions yet. Sigh. Another after-midnight christmas eve with a 6am wake up from excited little tots lol. 

• Like 3

I was so proud of myself that I finished at 11pm on the 23rd.

I only had a few gifts to wrap and used a few gift bags as well. If I had tons of free time I wouldn't mind the wrapping but when. It is 10pm before you even have time to start then it is not so great.

• Like 1

How many gifts do you have??? How elaborate is your wrapping?

I love wrapping gifts, consider it a treat, and it really does not take long. I love seeing all the familiar Christmas papers when I open the box, and iT is fun to select just the right one - we make sure not to use tape, just ribbons, and reuse the paper year after year.

To the OP: there are places and organizations that wrap your gifts for a donation. And two words: gift bags.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I hate wrapping, too. To make it better I:

1. Don't care how it looks. Everyone knows that it won't be pretty. We all make a joke of it now. When the ends can be all big and puffy and not have to have crisp folds, it makes it all so much easier.

2. I stagger it over many, many evenings. Only an hour at a time or I go nuts. Drives me crazy if it's an endless wrapping session.

3. Bags and tissue paper.

• Like 2

I think I started to lose my mind last night while wrapping.  I starting singing, "I'm bad at wrapping and I know it"...a parody of "I'm sexy and I know it"  (or I'm Elmo and I know it).

"Crinkle, crinkle, crinkle, crinkle, yeah!"

"Crinkle, crinkle, crinkle, crinkle, yeah!"

"You need a bow!"

• Like 5

I like wrapping one present. I do not like wrapping lots of presents. So, I start early and just wrap a few each evening. Spreading it out helps.

I agree with the not worrying about having a perfect looking package. Really, they are just going to remove the paper and toss it. No one will remember if it isn't perfect.

Bags with tissue are wonderful too. And reusable.

I love the idea of fabric bags for packages. I may have to go get some clearance Christmas fabric on the 26th and start working on bags for next year!

• Like 1

One year I wove inkle 'ribbons' to give as Christmas presents.  It took forever (very narrow, but MANY rows.)  "Toward a sustainable Christmas" I wrote on the tags.  I pictured them becoming a family tradition and getting passed around year after year.  However, no one who got them seems to want to ever give them away.  The only time I've ever seen one of them get used was years later when my aunt put one on my daughter's Christmas present one year.  That was very gracious of her.

• Like 3

I love the idea of fabric bags for packages. I may have to go get some clearance Christmas fabric on the 26th and start working on bags for next year!

One tip, make sure your bags are darker in color (aka not white based) or really good fabric.  I have a few that aren't usable for our in home presents, but I use them when I go to my mom's house as they won't be sneaking a peek.

Make some in a variety of sizes and remember that no one is looking at the bag so perfect sewing isn't necessary.

• Like 3

A lot of gifts got wrapped this year in bags left over from last year's co-op Valentine party (the kids turned them into mail boxes). Hey, they're red! DD is also getting a few in gift bags-recycled from her birthday party last month.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 1

Loved reading all the responses!!! Yeah, I don't do a super pretty job, a decent one. I do enjoy the wrapping paper, so pretty!!! We have 5 kids, 11 nieces and nephews, and other extended family and friends. We give presents for the kids, and Santa brings some. We have very late nights around vChristmas, kids easily go to bed at 11pm, so I start wrapping very late. It just makes for very long nights!! :p Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

I haven't started.  I am still doing the work that needs to be done and signed before we leave for our vacation (flying out Christmas day).

Every year I am up all night long wrapping on Christmas Eve.  All night.  If I get to bed before dawn, it will be amazing.

I don't hate wrapping, but I do like sleep.  It's hard.

• Like 3

When my oldest was very young, we started a "Santa bag" tradition. The kids each have a large felt "Santa bag" they leave out on Christmas Eve, and the Santa gift (no matter the size!) magically arrives in it by Christmas morning.

Then, about ten years ago, I intentionally collected a lot of reusable cloth gift bags. For a while, amazon had really nice blue velvety ones! Fat Brain Toys had some in green and rust. I bought a couple too, at after-Christmas sales -- small felt ones, for instance. I even have a few Christmas napkins that get used as gift wrap, with ribbons to tie them shut.

We always wrap a few present in wrapping paper -- this year, the kids' books and board games got wrapped in paper, and the gifts we sent to my brother's family did also -- but the great majority of our gifts go in those bags. We just put new gift tags on them each year.

I enjoy wrapping a *few* presents but not a lot, and I don't like the huge pile of waste paper. This is a really good compromise for us.

• Like 3

An advantage of having older kids. My youngest dd loves wrapping gifts. For the last several years, I've wrapped hers and she wraps everyone else's gifts. She always worries about doing a good job but I tell her that no one is checking out the wrapping job. They just open the gifts by tearing the paper.

• Like 3

Well for the first time ever I only have 2 gifts left to wrap (and only because I don't know where my husband put them).  I am not quite sure what to do now, LOL.  DS2 was so easy to wrap for - he only wanted these huge Lego sets that were the perfect size for the roll of wrapping paper I had. No crazy cutting with random long rectangles left over. 

• Like 2

I don't understand why people keep buying wrapping paper. I have the roll I bought five years ago. 98% of our "wrapping" is just reusing gift bags of different types and sizes.

I think wrapping paper is an awful lot of fun to rip off a box, but we hardly ever use any because I reuse gift bags and boxes. We still have a nesting box set I bought 15? years ago.

A few years ago, I bought Christmas fabric on clearance, and this year when we ran out of gift bags, I had time to sew new gift bags. I'm not suggesting that as a solution, lol, as it wasn't much of a time-saver this year, but I know it will help in years to come.

Maybe a crafty relative would enjoy sewing cloth Christmas and birthday gift bags as a gift suggestion for you for next year. :)

• Like 2

I actually enjoy wrapping gifts.  It only took me about an hour to get them all done.  I love picking out wrapping paper and bows.  I would offer to help other with it, but even though I enjoy it they never look all that great.  Santa doesn't wrap any gifts he brings, so I suppose that saves a bit of time, but even then I can't see buying enough stuff to take hours wrapping.

• Like 1

I hear you.  I've started wrapping as I get stuff, just so I can go shove it under the tree and get it out of my way.  that said - I didn't start wrapping until this week.

and dh bought himself some dress shirts - and asked me to wrap them for him. :huh:   "no.  I've already wrapped what I bought you, and I wrapped what I bought me."

I don't have as much to warp this year as I've purchsed more expensive gifts - so there aren't as many packages.

• Like 1

My wrapping was so quick this year. I bought printed boxes instead of white, and found these cute elasticized bows at Target that you just stretch onto the package. Anything that didn't fit in a box went in a gift bag or my kids wrapped it for me. I think we finished everything in under two hours...definitely a record!

• Like 3

I think wrapping paper is an awful lot of fun to rip off a box,

We would never have been allowed to do that growing up! The gift wrap had to be removed carefully (just ribbons, no tape) and saved for next year, because you never knew whether replacement gift wrapping paper would be available for purchase in stores.

I physically cringe when I see people rip paper off and trash it.... so wasteful

OTOH, I must admit that I am ready for some of the 15 year old wrapping paper to retire. There is always a little bit of loss each year.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

This is one time I really enjoy being married to an engineer... one who insists I can't wrap presents correctly, so then follows thru with doing it all himself quite willingly.  :hurray:

He wraps all birthday gifts too... all except his own anyway.

We don't get each other Christmas gifts, so no worries there.

• Like 5

Dh has always gone to great lengths to disguise my gifts- usually in larger than necessary boxes. So this means he also wants his disguised. I would SO love to just make some cloth drawstring bags and be done with wrapping. I wrap like a toddler. But we only buy each other a few things so I indulge him.  

This year for the first time ever I am done wrapping before midnight mass comes on tv. That is a true Christmas miracle, people. 

• Like 2

Yes, it takes me forever because of elaborate wrapping. For example, I just helped my youngest son take Legos out of a box (that would be super easy to wrap) and put the bags of legos into a sock with a hand towel around it and then wrapped it round candy style with bows on both ends. I'm crazy but we don't like it when people guess gifts around here.

• Like 1

We would never have been allowed to do that growing up! The gift wrap had to be removed carefully (just ribbons, no tape) and saved for next year, because you never knew whether replacement gift wrapping paper would be available for purchase in stores.

I physically cringe when I see people rip paper off and trash it.... so wasteful

OTOH, I must admit that I am ready for some of the 15 year old wrapping paper to retire. There is always a little bit of loss each year.

:D Made me laugh. Yeah, me too. That's why we hardly ever use wrapping paper. I hate wasting it, even though we recycle any that can't be reused. 

But it sure is fun.

My dh grew up with tearing into the gifts as a big part of opening presents, so I try not to hyperventilate if the kids tear the wrapping paper off their gifts at MIL's. :P

• Like 1

Dh has always gone to great lengths to disguise my gifts- usually in larger than necessary boxes. So this means he also wants his disguised. I would SO love to just make some cloth drawstring bags and be done with wrapping. I wrap like a toddler. But we only buy each other a few things so I indulge him.

This year for the first time ever I am done wrapping before midnight mass comes on tv. That is a true Christmas miracle, people.

I salute you! I finished at 3am! (Dh and I have fun doing it so it's not bad!)

• Like 2

I use bags that I've had sewn for years. The initial time invested making them is paid off ten hold each Christmas when it takes me about an hour to throw everything in a bag and tie it up. Depending on who is getting it, my knots are complicated enough to make it more challenging the wrapping paper.

what a great idea! You are saving time, money, and trees! Would love to see a picture of your bags!

what a great idea! You are saving time, money, and trees! Would love to see a picture of your bags!

Bed bath and beyond is where my mil got them this year. They were only $5 each and the size of lawn trash bags and fairly thick decent felt (not the cheap crafty like stuff that pills and doesn't hold its shape or look very well) with a nice drawstring tie. They said different things on them like "Santa was here!" or just snowflakes. My 10 year old was able to crawl inside his and have a brother tie it shut. 😠I doubt it could have been made cheaper then $5. I sure was envious of them.

• Like 1

Bed bath and beyond is where my mil got them this year. They were only $5 each and the size of lawn trash bags and fairly thick decent felt (not the cheap crafty like stuff that pills and doesn't hold its shape or look very well) with a nice drawstring tie. They said different things on them like "Santa was here!" or just snowflakes. My 10 year old was able to crawl inside his and have a brother tie it shut. 😠I doubt it could have been made cheaper then $5. I sure was envious of them.

Hope to have all size bags. I will see if there are some online. Thanks!