Menu

Humbug! I dislike wrapping.... so very much!!

mamiof5

I love the fabric bag idea, and had planned on adopting it.. We have been doing a mixtue of bags and wrapped boxes. In Oct, my 10 year old told me that his favorite thing about opening the gifts was the tearing of the paper and his siblings chimed in and agreed. They wern't complaining, but really missed the days when all the presents were wrapped.

I decided wrapping would be part of the present . I even wrapped most things with white tissue paper and a sticker under the paper. I bought pretty paper that is heavier grade and self stick labels. That made the job look much nicer, and easier. I skipped bows and ribbons as i was on crutches this year and forgot to put them on the list. You know what, I may not use bows and ribbons and dodads...it was easy.

I used to be a terrible wrapper, my packages were always lumpy, or patched, or not quite covered. I finally learned how to wrap nicely from Container Store videos several years ago. Ever since then, my packages have been beautiful, and ever more elaborate. DH and I used to have several wrapping sessions with wine and a Christmas movie, that was fun.

This year I'm maxed, DH didn't help, and the wrapping was done with maximum speed. Lumps and patching were sighted. I hope this is just a one time visit from the ghost of Christmas past!

I had planned to wrap, until I went looking for the wrapping paper, and discovered on the 23rd there wasn't any. Thankfully, it was a small Christmas. I had tissue paper, reusable paper bags, and never-need-wrapping decorative gift boxes. I didn't wrap stocking gifts this year, either. We were done in about an hour.

How many gifts do you have??? How elaborate is your wrapping?

I love wrapping gifts, consider it a treat, and it really does not take long. I love seeing all the familiar Christmas papers when I open the box, and iT is fun to select just the right one - we make sure not to use tape, just ribbons, and reuse the paper year after year.

To the OP: there are places and organizations that wrap your gifts for a donation. And two words: gift bags.

I've never heard of this! How does one gift wrap with no tape? Our boxes always seem to require it or stuff just springs apart under the tension of wrapping. Do share!

I've never heard of this! How does one gift wrap with no tape? Our boxes always seem to require it or stuff just springs apart under the tension of wrapping. Do share!

With ribbon. Like this:

Ignore the first 20 seconds where he makes the paper from a bag.

use giftwrap and nice ribbon.

I always wrap gifts like this - and I imagine people before the invention of clear tape did, too.

We're another reusabable fabric bag family. When my kids were little, they were upset by the waste of wrapping paper and disposable ribbons/bows and nudged us to look for a more environmentally responsible approach. We tried a couple of things, including wrapping with paper grocery bags and such, before settling on the fabric bag idea. 

For three or four years, I bought remnants and clearance fabrics in any vaguely holiday-ish colors/prints and quickly sewed up a collection of bags in a variety of sizes. Occasionally, I made a new bag specifically to fit a certain oddly shaped or sized item. At this point, we have more bags than we ever use in a single year, and I haven't needed make any new ones for probably eight or nine years.

We also try to use mostly fabric ribbon, which we also save and reuse from year to year. Every two or three years, some of the ribbons start looking a bit tattered, so I buy a couple of spools of new stuff when I see a good sale or coupon.

However, wrapping still manages to take up a fair amount of time and effort, since we've somehow developed the traditional of making tags out of contstruction paper for each gift, individually. 

I love the fabric bag idea, and had planned on adopting it.. We have been doing a mixtue of bags and wrapped boxes. In Oct, my 10 year old told me that his favorite thing about opening the gifts was the tearing of the paper and his siblings chimed in and agreed. They wern't complaining, but really missed the days when all the presents were wrapped.

Yes, my daughter is the same. I'd love to use fabric bags, but she *infinitely* prefers wrapped presents, and Christmas only comes once a year. I do carefully recycle all the paper. 

We have a bunch of fabric bags too. My MIL has made most of them. My very favorite have a casing (usually made with bias tape) a couple of inches below the top, with a loop of ribbon threaded both ways across. You grab a loop from either side and draw them up, tie the ends in a bow, label and done!

ETA: we do a mix of bags and paper, because it's fun for the kids to unwrap paper-wrapped gifts.

Edited by Forget-me-not