Menu

SWC (Star Wars content): Should newbies watch in order of release or order of story?

ILiveInFlipFlops

Star Wars movies  

98 members have voted

1. 1. In which order should the uninitiated watch the Star Wars movies?

• In order of release (4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3)
    • In order of story development (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
    • Episodes 1-3 are terrible and everyone should only watch 4-6
    • Star Wars is stupid; don't watch any of them
    • Kittens

Order of release.

And watch 1-3 only if you've really gotten into Star Wars - they are optional.

Ditto  

It makes me wonder which category this new one is going to fall into to be honest.  There's tons of hype, but is that all we're going to get?  Time will tell.

• Like 1

I used to say release order.

Then we watched the series a few weeks ago in sequential order.  Other than the fact that the first one still makes me shake my head, because it had such potential that was wasted, it was rather powerful to see it in sequential order.  I was in near tears more than once.  (And I've seen them all a billion times before, just never in rapid order like this.) Anakin/Vader's story is really something, and I think it was more impactful watching it sequentially than how I've always watched it in release order. 

And then I watched the trailer again and there were definitely tears.  I can't even explain it.  I'm avoiding spoilers, but the trailer makes me look and see all this ruin, and I think that all the Rebel Alliance worked so hard for, and Padme before that, was ruined by someone or something.  

• Like 4

I vote that it depends on your kids. If the originals would be "older" films that might put your kids off, then I'd show the more recent films first. 

I know some purists here will strongly disagree, but I have my reasons. My kids would never have got hooked on Doctor Who if we'd started watching the original series. And I couldn't get my son interested in reading The Boxcar Children until I brought home new volumes with updated covers instead of volumes with older publication dates. It went on to be a great childhood favorite, until he made the jump to the kids Star Wars chapter books. 

• Like 1

Machete order: 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Then if you really want to 1 and the Christmas special.

You get the proper intro to the world in 4 and aren't spoilered for the big reveal in 5. Then 2 and 3 are an extended flashback scene before the climax in 6.

Interesting! I'll propose that to DH, thanks!

I vote that it depends on your kids. If the originals would be "older" films that might put your kids off, then I'd show the more recent films first. 

I know some purists here will strongly disagree, but I have my reasons. My kids would never have got hooked on Doctor Who if we'd started watching the original series. And I couldn't get my son interested in reading The Boxcar Children until I brought home new volumes with updated covers instead of volumes with older publication dates. It went on to be a great childhood favorite, until he made the jump to the kids Star Wars chapter books. 

Hm, I hadn't thought about that. One of my concerns was that watching the newest ones and then trying to transition to the older ones might ruin any appeal the older ones might have. I was hoping that the charm and power of the older ones would draw them in first, before they got hooked on story+effects. I'll give that some more thought then.

I find it interesting that so many consider 1-3 optional. I was deeply disappointed in them and only managed to sit through 1 (totally not drawn into the story) and half of 2 (in disgust) before I couldn't take it any longer. I've never seen 3. The idea of skipping them is sort of tempting! I don't think DH would go for it, though. 

We are doing the same thing at our house and chose to watch in sequential order. Now that we're about to watch the 6th one, I wonder if we should have watched in release order. But we have enjoyed watching Vader's story progress all the way through.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Some family friends did it in sequential order.  They absolutely loved it and were SHOCKED at what happened to Anakin.   Shocked. For them, the big reveal isn't "I am your father", it's that the hero of the first movies turns into an evil ..... I don't know what Vader is.  Cyborg. The story arc from cute little kid to lovelorn teen to evil cyborg is really something, objectively speaking. Added bonus: being  really confused by the "love triangle" involving the twins.

• Like 1

Hmm...after hearing about people watching them in chronological order, I might change my vote from release date to chronological. There is something to be said for watching the story unfold that way. They'd have no clue that Anakin turns evil as they're watching I and II. I can see how that would be the big reveal moment vs the "I am your father" moment.

In fact, it might be better, because all the way through ep 4 and 5, you'd be yelling at the screen, "Luke! He's your *father*!!!!" whenever Luke would get angry at Vader. And can you imagine seeing the Obi Wan fight scene with Vader in ep 4 when you really know their history. Wow. I'm getting shivers thinking about it. Fresh from watching OW and Anakin fighting at the end of ep 3, you see them meet again 20 years later at the end of ep 4 and watch OW lay down his life. Powerful stuff.

Ok--I only have them on VHS and my VHS player is broken. I need to buy them all and watch them all back to back in order. I think it'll be awesome to see them in chronological order.

• Like 4

Order of release as starting with 1,2,3 may turn them off Star Wars before they get to the classic originals.  Start with the best.  Besides, don't want to ruin the reveal in films 5 and 6.  Do the originals, then take a couple days to appreciate them etc. before getting into the less than stellar prequels.

• Like 2

Machete order: 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Then if you really want to 1 and the Christmas special.

You get the proper intro to the world in 4 and aren't spoilered for the big reveal in 5. Then 2 and 3 are an extended flashback scene before the climax in 6.

SHH! We don't talk about the Christmas Special!

• Like 2

DH decided on the machete order too. (He had a different name for it, equally as violent sounding.)

When he asked his students (current college freshmen/sophomores), they told him how much they enjoyed watching Episode 1 as a kid. It's a *terrible* movie, but there is a lot there that smaller kids would like, not least of which being a child character.

We did in the order of release.  that's the best!  Consequently, my son is a SW fanatic!  Now that he's anticipating #7 this year, he's asked to re-watch 4-6.  He does play with some of the 1-3 toys/legos, but 4-6 are his true love.  My boy knows a classic when he sees it :001_tt1:

I say just skip 1-3, sounds like 4-6 are plenty enough to take the story forward into episode 7.

Personally, I find 1-3 dark and quite different from 4-6. It was a long time before I let my kids watch them.

This is where we are.  The daughter I mentioned above (who loves 4-6, Clone Wars & Rebels) has asked to see the prequels.  I saw them in the theater (and that was enough for me!) but I remember them getting so dark (especially 3).  I think we're going to let her watch Phantom Menace soon (she's seen the Droid Tales version) and she's interested.

Hmm...after hearing about people watching them in chronological order, I might change my vote from release date to chronological. There is something to be said for watching the story unfold that way. They'd have no clue that Anakin turns evil as they're watching I and II. I can see how that would be the big reveal moment vs the "I am your father" moment.

In fact, it might be better, because all the way through ep 4 and 5, you'd be yelling at the screen, "Luke! He's your *father*!!!!" whenever Luke would get angry at Vader. And can you imagine seeing the Obi Wan fight scene with Vader in ep 4 when you really know their history. Wow. I'm getting shivers thinking about it. Fresh from watching OW and Anakin fighting at the end of ep 3, you see them meet again 20 years later at the end of ep 4 and watch OW lay down his life. Powerful stuff.

Ok--I only have them on VHS and my VHS player is broken. I need to buy them all and watch them all back to back in order. I think it'll be awesome to see them in chronological order.

Oh my gosh, yes.  This exactly. 

The scenes with Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back were much more poignant as well, because you KNOW the loss he's experienced and how he has suffered.  He's no longer a strange alien we first encounter and wonder why he's so bizarre and erratic.

And Emperor Palpatine!! Whoa, Return of the Jedi was so much more intense, because we also knew just what that bad boy was capable of.  We also knew the old tale about there only ever being two sith at one time.  Vader had already proposed teaming up to Luke.  What were the Emperor's plans for Vader if Luke had made a different choice?  

Honestly, if you can suspend some of the bad movie making, the story of the first 3 is quite dynamic.  They made some errors with the droids, and that makes me roll my eyes.  Sure, they can memory wipe the droids, but Obi-Wan spent a lot of time with R2-D2 in his younger days, to see him in the desert of Tatooine much later should have stirred up all those memories.  But it didn't, and it couldn't, but they maybe should have reigned in the droids participation in the prequels.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what you do as long as you skip 3. It was so bad. So bad. Save yourself 3 hours and just stand in front of the television and say, "Anakin is Vader, people adopt his kids."

I'm glad somebody finally agrees with me :p

I, however, reject movie 3. I think George Lucas dropped the ball big time on that one. Ruined everything for me. I will never forgive him.

• Like 2

It doesn't matter what you do as long as you skip 3. It was so bad. So bad. Save yourself 3 hours and just stand in front of the television and say, "Anakin is Vader, people adopt his kids."

I'm glad somebody finally agrees with me :p

I think 3 is totally worth watching, if not for anything else but the hilariously bad scenes.

To be fair, just about any tender scene between Anakin and Padme ranks high on my hilariousness meter due to the double whammy of the terrible dialogue and bad acting. I took my mom to see it, and we burst out laughing out loud at one of the tender moments between Anakin and Padme. I really can't do it justice, but it was the one that went, "Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo, when there was nothing but our love."

Obi Wan standing at the top of the stairs of Padme's ship with his hands on his hips ready to confront Anakin.

Feral-eyed Anakin.

Surfing on lava. 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO......."

I'm cracking up just writing these out. 

:lol:

• Like 1

I think 3 is totally worth watching, if not for anything else but the hilariously bad scenes.

To be fair, just about any tender scene between Anakin and Padme ranks high on my hilariousness meter due to the double whammy of the terrible dialogue and bad acting. I took my mom to see it, and we burst out laughing out loud at one of the tender moments between Anakin and Padme. I really can't do it justice, but it was the one that went, "Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo, when there was nothing but our love."

Obi Wan standing at the top of the stairs of Padme's ship with his hands on his hips ready to confront Anakin.

Feral-eyed Anakin.

Surfing on lava. 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO......."

I'm cracking up just writing these out. 

:lol:

Or how about when Anakin was choking his pg wife to death, and all she does is squeal out, "Oh Anakin, why are you doing this?" 

Please. Padme was a kick butt independent can fend for myself woman until movie 3. Then she turned into this simpering, spineless weakling with no thoughts of her own. I'm sorry, but I know I was all ferocious mama bear while I was pg when it came to protecting my babies. You gonna tell me that Padma literally does NOTHING to fight back when she finds out what Anakin has done and when he's trying to harm her (and by default her unborn as well) and his best friend? She just whimpers and allows him to strangle her without any type of struggle? Then later when they find nothing physically wrong with her, but she dies because she's lost the will to live? She gives birth to twins, sees them, and then give up the will to live? Um, no. Padme, if one goes off her character before movie 3, would have turned into super protective mother and kicked anyone's butt who dared tried to harm her children. She would have hunted Anakin down. 

George Lucas clearly never experienced the I-will-take-you-down hormones that come with having a new baby. 

• Like 3

So glad we are addressing this Extremely Important Question here on WTM.

My husband and I of course did them in the order they came out, as they came out; and my kids did them 1-6 in one marathon when we went away and they were staying with my parents (who didn't know to direct them otherwise).  I truly do think it's a different experience.  Doing it 4-6, 1-3 the narrative is about Luke; doing it 1-6 it's about Vader.  The Luke narrative is all black-and-white-and-Big-Surprise!!!; the Vader narrative is much grayer and about how damage wreaks consequences.  

I agree with the pp who say that if a kid is inclined to be put off by the sooooo dated special effects in 4-6, it'd be better to hook 'em with adorable Aniken.

Anyone who's going to be put off by the soooo lame acting, well, this really isn't the series for you!!   :lol:

I never knew this was a thing.  I can see it, though.  I think if I were advising someone who'd never seen any, I might go this way.

Order of release.

And watch 1-3 only if you've really gotten into Star Wars - they are optional.

Yabbut, little Aniken???   :001_wub:  :001_wub:

Or how about when Anakin was choking his pg wife to death, and all she does is squeal out, "Oh Anakin, why are you doing this?" 

Please. Padme was a kick butt independent can fend for myself woman until movie 3. Then she turned into this simpering, spineless weakling with no thoughts of her own. I'm sorry, but I know I was all ferocious mama bear while I was pg when it came to protecting my babies. You gonna tell me that Padma literally does NOTHING to fight back when she finds out what Anakin has done and when he's trying to harm her (and by default her unborn as well) and his best friend? She just whimpers and allows him to strangle her without any type of struggle? Then later when they find nothing physically wrong with her, but she dies because she's lost the will to live? She gives birth to twins, sees them, and then give up the will to live? Um, no. Padme, if one goes off her character before movie 3, would have turned into super protective mother and kicked anyone's butt who dared tried to harm her children. She would have hunted Anakin down. 

George Lucas clearly never experienced the I-will-take-you-down hormones that come with having a new baby. 

I thought Padme was in a state of complete mental shock.

if I was heavily pregnant and just found out that my husband had turned into a mass murderer of children I would probably be in a state of shock.

Ds15 and I have had this discussion.  He wants dd13 to watch them in sequence.  I'm not sure because I like the original trilogy so much more.

However, dd13 is not even interested in Star Wars, so it's kind of a moot point at our house. 

Brotherman watched them 1-6 despite dh's urging to go with machete order. He enjoyed it that way. Now he wants to be a Sith lord though. That order really does make it all about Vader.

Also, for those who think 1 is a waste of time, I'm just going to leave this here. It blew my mind. I haven't decided what I think of it. 

• Like 1

This thread is so interesting. I'm fascinated by the idea that the creator of a mythology, and the director of the mythology's perpetuation (i.e. Lucas) could be considered blameworthy for his failure to live up to the imaginations of those who simultaneously treat the mythology as pure entertainment.

I was among the many viewers irritated by Jar Jar Binks, on the one hand, but I also thought that there were maudlin parts of episodes 4:6. Most importantly, I considered the entire series to have been a gift to the nation from Lucas. I certainly never could have done it. My very conception of the Star Wars universe, the ethics I drew from it, my introduction to mythology and the epic, were grace Lucas, who gave a huge chunk of his life and creative energy to that epic.

The fact that certain characters are annoying or certain characters do not fit my expectations, is hardly an argument against watching parts of it. I personally find it interesting to watch his entire creative vision. I think he's a genius. I think the order of release and starting in medias res  is a really interesting way to watch because that's how they came into our national consciousness.

I wish people hadn't whined so much that he'd sold it to Disney, either. I trusted him to see it through. I think there is something in him that Disney doesn't have and I don't care if it creates silly, fuzzy characters. But he was right to sell it. If America wants perfection, let them have it--I personally would rather have artistic integrity.

• Like 2

The Christmas special...

:smilielol5:   

I saw it in order of release. But I think it is better to see in order of story development 1 2 3 4 5 6 as my ds has seen it.  

4 seems very ancient to him now, while 1 has more up to date look to the film and helped him get into it more. And I think the story is better in order of development.

This thread is so interesting. I'm fascinated by the idea that the creator of a mythology, and the director of the mythology's perpetuation (i.e. Lucas) could be considered blameworthy for his failure to live up to the imaginations of those who simultaneously treat the mythology as pure entertainment.

I was among the many viewers irritated by Jar Jar Binks, on the one hand, but I also thought that there were maudlin parts of episodes 4:6. Most importantly, I considered the entire series to have been a gift to the nation from Lucas. I certainly never could have done it. My very conception of the Star Wars universe, the ethics I drew from it, my introduction to mythology and the epic, were grace Lucas, who gave a huge chunk of his life and creative energy to that epic.

The fact that certain characters are annoying or certain characters do not fit my expectations, is hardly an argument against watching parts of it. I personally find it interesting to watch his entire creative vision. I think he's a genius. I think the order of release and starting in medias res  is a really interesting way to watch because that's how they came into our national consciousness.

I wish people hadn't whined so much that he'd sold it to Disney, either. I trusted him to see it through. I think there is something in him that Disney doesn't have and I don't care if it creates silly, fuzzy characters. But he was right to sell it. If America wants perfection, let them have it--I personally would rather have artistic integrity.

I understand where you're coming from but think getting incensed over entertainment is a form of entertainment itself. I know I get pretty bored and annoyed by Doctor Who "fans" who pick apart every episode and incessantly moan about Steven Moffatt and the show in general. But it seems like a rather entertaining sport for them, just like sniping about how horrible Hayden Christensen's acting is for me. In any case, seeing the newer Star Wars episodes significantly diminished the overall SW experience for me, so I can't agree that the bad acting and other reasons I can't stand 1-3 are not an argument against watching them. 

• Like 2