Menu

What do you wish you could do?

Night Elf

I've got two things I really wish I could do. I wish I had a lovely singing voice. I've lost what little I had and now sound pretty bad. I also wish I could write, like a novel. I'd love to be an author. The most I've written is a 55 fiction story (story made of 55 words) and I only did one of those. I read such good books and consistently wish I could write like that.

• Like 2

I'd love to be able to play the Electric Guitar!  Not just play it, but really wail away on it.

And if we're talking superpowers, telekenisis.  Wouldn't it be glorious to be all snuggled down with your baby on the couch and be able to float the glass of water you forgot across the room to you?  I think if you have a baby you should automatically develop telekenisis.

• Like 2

I've got two things I really wish I could do. I wish I had a lovely singing voice. I've lost what little I had and now sound pretty bad. I also wish I could write, like a novel. I'd love to be an author. The most I've written is a 55 fiction story (story made of 55 words) and I only did one of those. I read such good books and consistently wish I could write like that.

Ditto for me! Sing and write a book!

I'm going to go with NIghtElf on this. If I could carry a tune,  my whole life would be different. (I'm not talking about fame! I just want to participate in the most basic of kinship.)

It makes me so sad.

The second thing is that I wish I had even a single craft gene. I love to knit, but I am horrible.

play quality classical piano.

I begged for piano lessons as a child.   I'm not sure why there was so much resistance, but I have suspected my mother felt forced to play might have had something to do with it.

I finally decided, I'm a homeschooling mom who believes in self-education. so, I'm learning.  I don't take lessons more because of spotty time than lack of money.

• Like 1

I wish I had the passion for raising kids now, like I did when my older kids were little.  

I was so excited to see my older kids learn new things, it takes so long for DD8 (special needs) to learn new things and then she forgets......so you do the same thing again..and again....and again. :0( 20 years of raising kids, especially the last 8yrs with dd's special needs has taken all the gumption out of me.  I am tired.

• Like 3

I also wish I had a little more drive.    But, the first two things that came to mind were I wish I had the knack or the nursing school classes. Things like drawing blood or taking pulse... I'd love to be a hospice nurse, but I don't think I'd make it through some of those courses.

The other thing is I wish I could write.  Like Night Elf, when I read a well written book it makes me wish I had that talent too.

I also would love to write creatively. It drives me batty, because people will often assume I do and...I just can't. I have great ideas, but cannot write dialogue. Dialogue kills me every single time.  I am in awe of writers who can write dialogue that flows and sounds natural. I try and it sounds like something out of Dick and Jane, stilted and unnatural. I recently read Olive Kittridge and Bring Up the Bodies and in both the sentences just flowed like warm honey.

And I wish I was really smart. I am clever and hard working, but that isn't the same.

I wish I could sing, even halfway decently. I also wish I could play an instrument even a little. And I wish I could speak a second language fluently. And I wish I could draw better.

I can knit, though, which I always wanted to learn how to do, and I finally taught myself when I was 31. That's also the year I learned to drive stick shift. So I suppose there is hope for me yet in some of those wishes.

Have more time to devote to photography. Right now I'm reduced to taking quick snapshots with my phone, but I'd love to have a real, grown up camera and the space to really use it. I tend to see the world around me as a series of photographs; I suspect it might be one of those natural talents people talk about but I've never understood.

Also, play the fiddle.

I wish I could eat and get skinny at the same time. Shallow, but true. 

Artistically, I wish I could play piano (I used to, but stopped. I'd love to take lessons again.)
I wish I could draw/paint and do calligraphy. 
I would love to be proficient in French pastries and cake decorating, to make sugar and chocolate sculptures. 
I also wish I could sew. 

• Like 1

I wish I could be as clever as some of the posters on this board. My posts are boring and unimaginative. I want to be funny.

Oh, but you are you, and if you weren't you we would all be at a great loss. Your posts are valued as wisdom to heed.

• Like 3

Oh, but you are you, and if you weren't you we would all be at a great loss. Your posts are valued as wisdom to heed.

Aww.. thanks! Sometimes I wonder about my posts, but I do feel like I contribute to the community here in my own small ways. I stay out of the threads that get heated though, so my opinions that I do share are usually shallow. I don't have a thick skin at all!

• Like 1

I got another one!  I wish I liked exercise. I've always hated exerting myself in physical exercise.  I did the bare minimum in high school, just enough to pass the class. DH runs and loves it. I've been told to try different things and I'll find something I really like. I disagree!

• Like 3

I wish I could speak more languages (and have the discipline to keep up with the ones I have studied/am studying... )

Actually, the latter is at the core of my other regrets: I would be a much better singer and piano player if I'd simply make it a priority to work on it daily. For most of the things I wish I could do, I only have myself to blame for not making it a priority.

So, I guess I wish I could be more diligent in my endeavors.

• Like 1

I wish I had one of those personalities that makes new friends easily. I used to. I never had a problem making friends until my kids were born. I became suddenly socially awkward and private, and I rarely seem to find anyone I click with. It doesn't help that I have the youngest kids in our homeschool group (and the only toddler or baby), and I can't seem to remember anything I learned in 17 years of schooling, and my political/religious/mommy war apathy doesn't lend itself well to deep conversation.

I really hope it's just exhaustion and this not-so-super power will return in a few years.

• Like 1

I wish I could jog. I have bad knees and lung issues, so I stick to walking. 

I wish I could edit. I can write, but editing is my nemesis, which I will conquer one day. 

I wish I could have stayed up with learning Japanese with ds. He's way ahead of me and he's motivated, but does better when learning alongside someone. 

I wish I had someone to do all the practical things I hate, like housework and paying bills and home maintenance and could focus on the creative things I enjoy. 

I wish I could play guitar. I bought one and started learning several years ago. I never progressed beyond beginner. I sold the guitar in a garage sale last year and a musician stopped by and almost bought it. He started playing it and it sounded so lovely, I almost cried. 

I wish I had consistent self-esteem. I'm always surprised when people talk to me or reach out. My lack of self-esteem has kept me from reaching out a lot because I often think why bother. Generally, I see all the things I hate about myself and forget other people struggle with stuff too. 

• Like 1

I got another one!  I wish I liked exercise. I've always hated exerting myself in physical exercise.  I did the bare minimum in high school, just enough to pass the class. DH runs and loves it. I've been told to try different things and I'll find something I really like. I disagree!

This is so me. My dh also runs and tries to encourage me but I hate it. I did run when I was younger but I didn't like it. I was in the military--I had to do it.

I also wish I could sing well. I love to sing; I just don't have a good singing voice.

And a couple people mentioned they wished they had a passion for something. Same here. I have some interests, but no passion for anything in particular.

My superpower would be apparition--transporting instantly to another location. I hate having to drive everywhere, even the grocery store which is less than 10 mins away.

• Like 1

Know what people's true intentions/opinions are. Some people are open books and some hide their true feelings behind politeness. I just had a thing where I clearly overstepped and instead of the person saying graciously, "Oh, thank you for your offer to help, but I've got this under control," she took me up on my (out of bounds) offer to help with a project. But she told her other friend that she had no idea what sort of help I could possibly provide (because I'm not qualified) and she might have a problem with me since I don't know what I'm doing. It was true. I'm not qualified. She was wondering with her other friend how to handle the issue.

I would have been A-OK with her telling me right up front that she had everything handled. But she was being "polite" and was going to grit her teeth and try to come up with ways for me to "help" that wouldn't have been helpful in the slightest. If she'd been upfront it would have blown over in 2 seconds but now I feel embarrassed and ridiculous. I had to approach her and back out of my offer to help.

Ok. Sorry for the rant. This just happened about 10 minutes ago and I'm feeling very unsettled.

So...I want the superpower to be able to see what people really want or mean. I'd like to be able to turn that power on and off at will.

• Like 3

Know what people's true intentions/opinions are. Some people are open books and some hide their true feelings behind politeness. I just had a thing where I clearly overstepped and instead of the person saying graciously, "Oh, thank you for your offer to help, but I've got this under control," she took me up on my (out of bounds) offer to help with a project. But she told her other friend that she had no idea what sort of help I could possibly provide (because I'm not qualified) and she might have a problem with me since I don't know what I'm doing. It was true. I'm not qualified. She was wondering with her other friend how to handle the issue.

I would have been A-OK with her telling me right up front that she had everything handled. But she was being "polite" and was going to grit her teeth and try to come up with ways for me to "help" that wouldn't have been helpful in the slightest. If she'd been upfront it would have blown over in 2 seconds but now I feel embarrassed and ridiculous. I had to approach her and back out of my offer to help.

Ok. Sorry for the rant. This just happened about 10 minutes ago and I'm feeling very unsettled.

So...I want the superpower to be able to see what people really want or mean. I'd like to be able to turn that power on and off at will.

OMG, I hate that! I'm sorry that happened. 

I have two areas of my life where I devoted a lot of time and effort because I thought I was making a difference. As I look back on those times, I see that I wasn't really appreciated for me, but more for being a "warm body"  and people were too polite to tell me. It makes the whole time seem fake and I still feel kind of bitter thinking of what I could have been doing if only people had the courage to be truthful. 

I just wish people would skip the BS, you can still be tactful and truthful. 

• Like 1

This would be nice too.  I keep doing or saying things or not doing or saying them, and then I realize I've made some kind of blunder and I didn't even realize it.  IDK, maybe my parents should have taught me this stuff or I am just tone-deaf.  I find out too late that I probably did or said the wrong thing and cringe about what they must think about me.

• Like 2

Paint.  Really well. My Grandma painted as a hobby and was relatively good (I have a couple of her paintings up in my house) and my uncle is a professional artist (I'd love to have his paintings in my house, but cannot afford them), so it is in my genes, but alas...I have no artistic ability whatsoever. Plus, if I knew how to paint I could fulfill my dream of moving to a villa in Tuscany and painting the days away sitting under a large tree  while wearing something flowing and white.

I wish I could be disciplined enough to get and stay ahead on my work.  Technically it should not be difficult, but I can never seem to do it.

I wish I could learn languages more easily.  I do have some talent in that area, but not enough to be really fluent in other languages.

Same thing with music - I have dabbled in several instruments and can play at a very amateur level, but I wish I could play really well.

At age 48 I have given up on the second and third above ever being more than a hobby to entertain myself.  But #1, I would like to believe could still happen.  :)