Menu

Would you like this lunch?

bolt.

I've joined a study group that meets for lunch after a church service. We take turns serving lunch for the group, which is about 10 people. Most of us are "trying to eat healthy" -- some, for medical reasons, need to avoid cholesterol and saturated fats as much as possible.

My idea is a "main dish" of my own invention. It's a cross between a crepe and an egg-white omelet, with fried mushrooms and a cheesy/creamy filling. It's a bit off-beat but I really like it, and it's healthy and filling. Do you think you, personally, would like it? Or does it sound like something that's a bit too unique?

Sides would include extra cheese and caramelized onions to top the crepes, cucumbers and tomatoes. Maybe bell peppers too? (I don't like bell peppers, but maybe people would think they fit with this meal?) I could provide another side in case people don't like the crepes, but that would mean something substantial. What would you suggest?

• Like 2

I can't have dairy so I would not eat it without knowing what was in the batter. If there aren't any dairy or gluten free people then I think it sounds fine. I do like crepes/omelettes and I make crepes at home without dairy.

I think I would provide something else to go with the crepes if people want sweet crepes instead such as lingonberries or strawberries

• Like 1

I would love it, I really would. But, I might not eat it due to the cheese. If I were avoiding saturated fat or cholesterol etc, then cheese would be at the top of things to avoid in restaurants or potlucks etc.

I don't avoid such things, but I do track calories, and I always order things cheese free or on the side or I do not order things that have cheese as a main component. Avoiding cheese is an easy way to cut the calories and the fat.

But, please don't get me wrong, it sounds wonderful and totally yummy.  The cream cheese and mushrooms and caramelized onions ..just delish!

• Like 3

Sounds delicious to me! (Gee, do you have a recipe to share?) And, I especially like that there's no meat in it.

(I'm trying to eat no added sugar/refined white grains, so the flour might be a problem for me. But, I'd probably eat one crepe & pile on some of the extras too.)

I would try it, but I have no idea if I would like it or not.  I don't really care for egg whites much and I would worry about the texture. I think if you can putting the mushrooms on the side would be a good idea.  I love mushrooms myself, but many people I know don't care for them, including my family.  I don't get to eat them very often.

I would hold the mushrooms or have them as a side.  Myself, I dislike too much cheese in things, so I doubt I'd like your filling.  Could you bake a simple quiche?  With extra sauteed onions, mushrooms, cheese on the side?  I used to have to host a group of therapists and a trainer every few months and would serve a green salad, quiche and brownies.  The trainer thanked me, saying most folks ordered pizza and she was so tired of pizza!

I am pretty picky about eggs (can't be too overdone or underdone) but I would try it because it sounds interesting.  My main concern would be:  can you serve it hot enough?  It sounds like something that would be great if it was right-out-of-the-pan hot, but not cooled off.   (Of course maybe that's just me.)

I like the idea of quiche mentioned above.  Or frittata, which is just a crustless quiche.  I occasionally cook for women's events at church and quiches are always popular, no matter what I put in them.  (The favorite though is spinach and feta.) 

Why don't you make the crepes and set the rest out as toppings that people could add as they like? You can keep your crepes warm in the oven until guests arrive.

I would prefer it without the cheese,  since cheese is a major source of saturated fat and sodium.  If the veges are moist enough, a cheese filling won't be needed by those who wish to avoid the cheese. If you wanted to provide a creamy filling for the nonsaturated fat crowd, though, guacamole is a great substitute.

• Like 2

No. Well, I would eat it if I were very hungry. I love eggs, cheese, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. But if I had eaten something substantial for breakfast, or if I were just feeling fat, I would want something less rich for the main part of lunch, with the rich dish as a side option perhaps.

Sorry to say that, but I felt you wanted an honest answer.

Add me to the list who don't like mushrooms :) I would pick around them and eat as much as I could since it was served to me :lol:  but I wouldn't order it in a restaurant. But I have discovered I'm getting pretty picky and you certainly can't make everyone happy! 

I think this sounds yummy, and would appreciate that you are trying to fix something healthy.  I think if people are that picky, they should pack their own lunch.  Personally, I think a salad with a variety of toppings (including a protein like hard boiled eggs and cooked chicken) would be easy to fix and people could pick and choose what they want. 

It sounds delish and I would love to eat, however, my body doesn't handle eggs well (sometimes I can eat them other days that make me puke, no rhyme or reason to it at all) so I would be afraid to eat them in case, my body decided it was a bad day for eggs (and no I'm not allergic to eggs).

Could you have a side of hashbrowns?  I know they are not terrible healthy but for those who want something more substantial or those who don't want eggs, it could give them a base to add your other yummy toppings to.

No mushrooms here (allergy).

I'm also not a crepe-lover and I really don't care for quiche (but I do like eggs).

My husband would not eat what the OP listed-- too unique

When I think 'lunch' I'm more of a salad person...

If I have to fix a meal for our small group I tend to either bring fixings for chef salads (variety of greens and fresh veggies, cheese and meats to choose from as well as assorted dressings).  I've also done a baked-potato bar and my all-time favorite grilled chicken fajitas (with tortillas or salad) and a variety of toppings (salsa, cheese, sourcream...).

When I make a lunch for a mixed group like that, I try to have two substantial-ish options so people can find something.

So, for instance, I might have a quiche and serve bread and cheese along with it.  People could eat both, but either one would make a reasonable, light meal, along with fruit or a salad.

Or I might serve skinless chicken thighs in gravy, with dumplings, so again people could either, or both.

Or I might do a Mexican bar--refried beans, chopped meat, shredded cheese, lettuce, tortillas, onions, salsa, guac, sour cream.  People could put together their own meal that way.  My picky girl would take a tortilla and roll it up with just cheese in it, eat it cold, and have some tomato on the side.  Everyone else could do their own thing.  SWIM?

• Like 2

I would like that.  

This thread is making me insecure.  I serve food to guest all the time without thinking about whether people like the ingredients.  It doesn't even cross my mind to think whether adults like basic things like mushrooms and onions. I do think about whether people I invite have allergies. But apart from that,  I generally serve things and just hope people will like them.  I have no idea what foods most of my friends like or dislikes.  

• Like 6

I guess when I serve a lunch or dinner, I just make sure there are choices and usually know a bit more about food tastes than just no allergies. Like 1 friend has severe reflux issues so low spice/acid menu. 1 has a teenage daughter who does not like meat, so lots of vege/pasta sides, etc. If I had to serve many people whom I did not know AS WELL, I would do multiple options or customizable options (build your own salad/sandwiches/tacos/pasta or roasted chicken with multiple sides so no one would be hungry). And that is what I did when I worked during college planning banquets/formal dinners. I do consider some things as either people love them or can't stand them: mushrooms, bell peppers, kale, etc. 

I would eat it, it sounds yummy. 

However, I've found the best thing for serving a group that I don't know well as far as food tastes is some variation on a "make your own ____ bar". One of our favorites for a small group lunch we host regularly is to set out bowls of rice, beans, and lettuce and then whatever toppings we have (cucumbers, tomatoes, diced red peppers, mushrooms, grated cheese, feta cheese, olives, avocado, chicken or shrimp or both, etc). Then people can assemble what they want. Other ideas that are similar are taco bar or baked potato bar or pasta bar with different toppings/sauces. 

• Like 1

Why don't you make the crepes and set the rest out as toppings that people could add as they like?  

When I make a lunch for a mixed group like that, I try to have two substantial-ish options so people can find something. <snip>

Or I might do a Mexican bar--refried beans, chopped meat, shredded cheese, lettuce, tortillas, onions, salsa, guac, sour cream.  People could put together their own meal that way.  My picky girl would take a tortilla and roll it up with just cheese in it, eat it cold, and have some tomato on the side.  Everyone else could do their own thing.  SWIM?

I would do something along these lines. Meals for groups should always have some options and/or have the components be separate. 

If you don't mind doing something else fairly substantial, you could do your recipe as is, with salad and possibly bread on the side. You definitely can't please everyone, but it's nice to not be insanely hungry if the only dish is 'mixed' and you don't like it. It's also less awkward to only take salad rather than to take nothing.

Other side ideas: hummus and crackers, boiled or deviled eggs, veggie tray, fruit tray, nuts, chicken strips.  

This thread is making me insecure.  I serve food to guest all the time without thinking about whether people like the ingredients.  It doesn't even cross my mind to think whether adults like basic things like mushrooms and onions. I do think about whether people I invite have allergies. But apart from that,  I generally serve things and just hope people will like them.  I have no idea what foods most of my friends like or dislikes.  

I think fewer people consider mushrooms to be a basic item than you imagine, lol. 

It's really a bigger deal when there's only one item being served, especially if it's a 'mixed' item like this or a casserole. Do you ever serve a single item when you have guests? That would be unheard of around here . . . but I do live in the deep south, we have food issues  :lol:

Guest submarines

I'd definitely eat it! And I think I'd enjoy it too.

I am wondering whether those who say they wouldn't eat it, but have no allergies / health issues, actually just wouldn't touch it if it was the only lunch served? :scared:  Or they mean they would eat it, but wouldn't enjoy it?

• Like 1

Well, I can't have eggs, so I wouldn't be able to eat it.

I also am quite picky about mushrooms.  If the onions were on the side, I just wouldn't eat them.  I like the taste of grilled onions, but I wouldn't be able to stay long if I ate them, or rather, you wouldn't want me to stay long if I ate them!