Menu

What books will you be giving this Christmas? (Any age! :)

6packofun

Older son (12) is getting the first three Heroes of Olympus books, a Minecraft book, National Geographic Kids Almanac, and Pokemon Essential Handbook.

Younger son (10) will be getting a Famous Five book with three of the stories, Lego Neighborhood Book: Build your own town, From Mudhuts to Skyscrapers, and the Puzzle Adventure Omnibus.

For the kids:

Warrior Cat books including the hardcover guide to the series plus one from the Mythlopedia series

Horse Diaries books and a few easy readers and zen Ghosts

The Gardener and Imogene's Last Stand

What Do You Do With an Idea and Rickshaw Girl

Building Our Own House and A Big Guy Took My Ball

My 18 year old is getting some Mythology books and books from the Lockdown series.

My 16 year old is getting Invisible Armies: An Epic History of Guerrilla Warfare from Ancient Times to the Present.  He found this book at the Tattered Cover book store in Denver this summer and could not put it down.  He is going to be surprised when he finds it under the tree.  He is also getting books from the Strongbow Saga series.

My 14 year old son will be getting the first two books in the Gregor: The Overlander (Underlander Chronicles) series by Suzanne Collins and books 4 and 5 from the Heroes of Olympus series.

My daughter is getting some American Girl books.

My youngest two are getting a Lego idea book and some Logic puzzle books to share. 

DD is getting The Lego Neighborhood Book.

DS is getting The Gospel Story Bible.

DH's grandmother is getting Diary of a Sailor: Life on the USS Hornet, which is actually her late husband's WWII diary, which DBIL and I designed, typeset and had professionally printed and hard-bound as a surprise. It will be here on Tuesday and I'm beside myself! (Not for sale though... yet. :D )

We usually do more books but that's all on our list for this year.

For my 9 yr twins:

Magic Puppy and Magic Bunny series

critter club

Dork Diaries (I think, anyone have experience with these?)

For my 11 year old:

Robots by James Patterson

Looking for more suggestions, he likes pretty easy reads or he gets bored

For my 12 year old:

Lord of the Rings

War of the Worlds

looking for another dystopian or suspense thriller. He loved Hunger Games

Oldest dd is getting a bunch that she picked out herself at the Scholastic Warehouse Sale and Target.  I know one is a John Green and one was Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (which I want to read).

Ds is getting the Minecraft handbooks boxed set, a Skylanders Swap Force guidebook, the PokĂƒÂ©mon Kanto region book, a few others.

Dd is getting a boxed set of Rainbow Fairies, a kids cookbook (kind of both her and ds), and a few others.

The girls are getting the big box of Horrible Science (ordered from Amazon.uk--took a week to get here from when it was shipped). They have the history box and read them all of the time.

Unbroken is wrapped and under the tree for me! Hmmm, since I didn't get dh a book this year I'm guessing I may be sharing.

My dad and FIL will probably both get The Martian. Still considering what to get Dad's wife and MIL--looking at The Romanov Sisters, War Brides. Post any good ideas you have!

DH's grandmother is getting Diary of a Sailor: Life on the USS Hornet, which is actually her late husband's WWII diary, which DBIL and I designed, typeset and had professionally printed and hard-bound as a surprise. It will be here on Tuesday and I'm beside myself! (Not for sale though... yet. :D

What a wonderful gift!  I hope it's gets a great reception.

Regards,

Kareni

The Martian by Andy Weir - I think I want my own copy of this one - it sounds so good!

What If?

Listverse.com's Epic Book of Lists

Uncle John's Bathroom Reader - a couple  different versions of this

Yes sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire

The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris

Laugh Out Loud Jokes for Kids

and a couple of manga series:

PHoenix WRight Ace Attorney #5

My Love Story

I didn't realize I was giving so many books this year!

My oldest is getting a book about dinosaurs.  I'm not exactly sure which one it is off the top of my head.  My 3 year old is getting a set of princess reader books that I found on Amazon (she requested princess books).  My 5 year old asked for a book about kings.  I have not a clue what he actually means (if you ask him, kings that live in castles), so I bought him a couple superhero books instead (so much for encouraging interests).  The littlest is getting a tractor book.  And my 7 year old is getting Death: Corpses, Cadavers and Other Grave Matters by Elizabeth Murray.  The book is intended for an older range, but he really is interested in this subject.  I haven't found anything similar, so that's what I picked out.

I'm basically buying books for dudeling.

1. - Magic school bus chapter books 1- 8 (I've got the others I'll give him for his BD.)
  2. three minecraft books (he was specific he wanted hardback versions.

I did buy a jane austen/P&P take-off called Austenland.  (many of the reviews for the dvd said it was raunchy, and the book was much better. so, I bought 1dd the book instead.  she thinks 2dd should have a P&P bridal shower - since she obviously didn't get the P&P proposal.  she insists future-sil is mr. bingly.  sheesh.  2dd is very much jane Bennett personality wise.)

Girl, almost 13, neutral reader into dystopian and young romance: Hunger Games trilogy, Fault in our Stars, a how to draw manga book

Boy, 11, voracious reader, nerdy: The Cartoon Guide to Statistics, other stuff yet to be purchased.

Boy, almost 9, reluctant reader: A Busload of Pigeon Books (Mo Willems). These are faves for him. My Father's Dragon trilogy thanks to WTM recommendations, an origami book, possibly 1-2 more.

Girl, coming up on 8, solid reader: vintage American Girl books

Boy, 6 at Christmas, emerging reader and enthusiastic listener: the Boxcar Children prequel, My Father's Dragon trilogy, more Boxcar children books, Zen Ties, The Three Questions.

Girl, 6 just after Christmas: Zen Shorts, some Frances books.

My kids are getting Aesop's Fables for Children (with CD).

DH is getting Red Harvest, and The Sound and The Fury.

My brother is getting The Hungover Cookbook (he just turned 21).

My parents are getting You're Only Old Once!: A Book for Obsolete Children (Dr. Suess).

Not too many books this year. I guess I got myself a couple books from 'Santa': Never Eat Alone, Security Analysis, and What Every Body is Saying.

Husband~The Innovators and a Terry Pratchett book

boy15~Kenobi, Wheel of Time series

boy14~Gates of Fire: and epic novel of the Battle of Thermopylae

boy11~Moomintroll books, Dr. Proctor's fart powder series

younger boy~Meet Mr. and Mrs Green

girl12~Howl's Moving Castle

girl7~Where the Sidewalk Ends with CD of Shel Silverstein reading

my 30ish brother~What If? 

DD10 is getting more Basher books, a couple of new goddess girls, a stack that looked like she'd like them at the scholastic warehouse sale, and a Herpetological review subscription. Mostly light, fun reads because we have about 36 hours of driving over The next 2 weeks (she also has a kindle and will get a card to add books to it, but real books give more to unwrap).

Dd2 -Very Little Red Hiding Hood and The Napping House

DS 5-getting the Discovery Channel Sharkopedia and the National Geographic Kids Big Book of Dinosaurs(titles approximate).

Neither kid can read.

On Christmas Eve, we get a box with a movie, board game, Christmas book, pajamas, and snack. The book this year is The Jolly Postman Christmas.

I got the complete Calvin and Hobbes, pranklopedia, and What if? Serious scientific answers to absorb hypothetical questions for DS12

I got What If?  for my 11 year old. 

My 8 year old is getting a book of random facts...I think it's Weird but True but I can't remember which one I ended up ordering of all the similar ones I looked at.

My 5 year old is getting a set of 4 Ramona books, we're working our way through reading them together. 

I also got them all a set of joke books for kids. 

For my oldest niece who loves France and cooking I got A Kitchen In France: Cooking in my Farmhouse. 

For my second niece who loves fashion I got Love, Loss and What I Wore. 

For my nephew who is a swimmer and water polo player I got Swim: Why We Love the Water. 

The eight year old is getting the remaining Swindle books on Kindle. (Swindle on Kindle!) IRL she's getting a few Amelia Rules books, I think.

The eleven year old is getting a hardcopy of Stranger, and one of City of Fire, and I think I'm replacing her Amulet collection.

I am getting myself the new Hilari Bell book.

Since I know what books the kids will also be getting from relatives, I'll list those too...

Dd (16):

Ds (13):

Dd & Ds together:

Dh:

my Dad:

my sister:

my niece (12):

• the Seven Wonders books 1 & 2

my nephew (10):

I think that's it.... :laugh:

We just finished reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (and watched the movie).

For under the tree, I bought a bunch of horse books.  I bought the entire works of Marguerite Henry (boxed set) and a few others, as Miss E asked for some new series.  She also asked for a few specific books, but none of them are classics or anything.

Last year I went nuts and bought a number of series, some of which the kids have not read yet.  So I am not going to go quite as nuts this year.  :)  They are pretty well set for 2015.

Oldest is getting some National Geographic picture books about animals and a few Magic Schoolbus early readers. She is 6.

Boy-o (3.5 years old) is getting a book about trucks and a Mo Willems pigeon book--I think it's a new-ish one?

Twin girls (10 months) are getting The Very Hungry Caterpillar (for some reason, we have not owned this before?!?) board book and a board book about fruit. I haven't looked at what I ordered in a while. :)

Dd11: Dork Diaries series. She owns two but wants the rest.

Dd7: The Never Girls Collection

Dd4: various truck/construction books

For my mom I'm getting her The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2015

And for my future nephew who'll be making his grand appearance at the end of February.....The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh

Oh yeah, the horrible series - I think I have Horrible Geographies on order, but not sure when they will arrive.  I bought the horrible science and horrible histories boxes last year.  They thought they were gross at the time, but then they asked for the geographies, so ....

Dd requested and is getting the Eragon series and the Inkspell series. She's read them both but they are favorites and she wants to continue building her personal library. 

I'm reading this thread with interest as I'd love to get her a few new books she hasn't read. 

Youngest is getting a set of Bob the Builder books. His current favorite dvds.

DD is getting a stack of horse books to go with WP Equine Science, the first three Anne books.

Ds is getting Paddington in hardback and Under Drake's Flag as an audiobook.

He is at a difficult point. Most of what he likes to read or can read isn't really literature (I will not buy Hank the Cowdog etc. He can borrow those from the library.) or he will outgrow very quickly or we already have. Limited shelf space and limited budget.

As a family, we got severl new Christmas book this year.

I'm not giving books for Christmas, but for his 7th birthday, DS is being re-enrolled in Mommy and Daddy's Book of the Month Club. His 2015 books will be

• Waiting is Not Easy (Mo Willems)
  • Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake
  • Geronimo Stilton: Mouse in Space
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
  • I Can't Believe You Said That
  • Wolf Story
  • The Princess Boy
  • The Name Jar
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • The Giant Hug
  • Wilma Unlimited.

Ds1: Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction book 4

ds2: Calvin and Hobbes

ds3: Basher Dinosaur book

Dad: The Explorer (because he loves the movie Gravity and this book was recommended if one likes that movie)

Mil: The Idiot's Guide to Fermenting Foods (along with a fermenting crock and yogurt maker) and another James Herriot book

Kids Are Weird for my six year old. She read the book repeatedly when I checked it out at the library. She was literally falling down with laughter.

Pomelo Explores Color for my youngest. I really like this series staring a minuscule pink elephant.

Basher Mythology for my oldest. She wants them all.

The six year old is also getting one of those huge fact books. She loves those. This one is national geographic.

New baby cousin got The Nose Book.

I got myself a couple disney fact books. For my stocking lol

I want this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thug-Kitchen-Official-Cookbook-Like/dp/1623363586

I may give it to myself. :p

I'm giving Thug Kitchen to my sister at her request.  I hadn't heard of it prior to receiving her wish list a week or so ago, and now I'm seeing mention of it everywhere!  If no one is going to give it to you, I say "go for it!"

Regards,

Kareni

It's very strange - I'm only giving two books as gifts this year. One is a cookbook to go with the pressure cooker I got dh, the other is a dinosaur board book to go along with the dinosaur playset we are donating at church. I've been buying myself plenty of Kindle and Nook books though. :D

Whitehawk, love the book of the month club! Are you going to read the Wind in the Willows illustrated by Robert Ingpen? It is so gorgeous!

I'm not giving books for Christmas, but for his 7th birthday, DS is being re-enrolled in Mommy and Daddy's Book of the Month Club. His 2015 books will be

• Waiting is Not Easy (Mo Willems)
  • Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake
  • Geronimo Stilton: Mouse in Space
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
  • I Can't Believe You Said That
  • Wolf Story
  • The Princess Boy
  • The Name Jar
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • The Giant Hug
  • Wilma Unlimited.

I want this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thug-Kitchen-Official-Cookbook-Like/dp/1623363586

I may give it to myself. :p

I'm giving Thug Kitchen to my sister at her request.  I hadn't heard of it prior to receiving her wish list a week or so ago, and now I'm seeing mention of it everywhere!  If no one is going to give it to you, I say "go for it!"

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, I keep seeing it everywhere now too. And I went and looked. And now I want it. Seriously want it.

It may have to be a joint Christmas present to my ds & me (from me, of course). :lol:

Bug:

Lulu walks the dog

A Lego builders book

A minecraft guide

Sister:

Wizard of Oz

Minecraft

Punk:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Minecraft

The Science of Cooking

DH:

Rewired: How Using Today's Technology Can Bring You Back to Deeper Relationships, Real Conversations, and the Age-Old Methods of Sharing God's Love

......and some other book on church communication he's been wanting.....his mom got it so I can't even look it up. Man this is going to bug me......

Me:

We Make the Road by Walking: A Year-Long Quest for Spiritual Formation, Reorientation, and Activation

The Giver

Fahrenheit 451 (hardcover to replica my current copy)

DD

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
The Magicians by Lev Grossman
Brown Girl in the Ring by Nalo Hopkinson
Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone
Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvate
Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown

DD's Fiance (because he is included this year in our tradition of new pjs and a book on xmas eve)

The Martian by Andy Weir

Co-Worker (Secret santa)

Wild by Cheryl Strayed