Menu

What temperature do you keep your house - poll to follow

Tohru

Indoor House Temperature  

359 members have voted

1. 1. What is your thermostat usually set at during the winter (when you're home and awake)?

• < 65
    • 66 / 67
    • 68 / 69
    • 70 / 71
    • 72 / 73
    • 74 / 75
    • > 75
    • Other

I recently heard some one complaining about the temperature of the house they were renting and their landlord didn't understand their complaint, which made me start wondering...what temperature does everyone usually keep their house at during the winter?

Thanks!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does the other person live?

The temp in my house is currently 76, but I have to run the AC to keep it there. In a colder climate? I keep it around 72. My mom keeps her house at 62 in the winter, brrrr!

Mountains, snow outside. 

The general mentality in the area is that since it's cold outside, indoor 60's is fine.  However we keep our house pretty toasty because we have a small child that refuses to wear all their required garments.

Mountains, snow outside.

The general mentality in the area is that since it's cold outside, indoor 60's is fine. However we keep our house pretty toasty because we have a small child that refuses to wear all their required garments.

I would have to keep my house at least 68 or I would be miserable. But, I have lived in mostly fairly warm climates.

We try for 69....but if this old American Foursquare ( with original windows) hits 69 it is only in the vicinity of the thermostat. We have space heaters for upstairs bedrooms.

Even at 69 degrees, I am wearing a t-shirt, hoodie, down vest (from a Land's End Black Friday sale a couple years ago) and covering my legs, when sitting, with a blanket. If I go upstairs to work on a computer, even with a space heater I must wear fingerless gloves and cover my legs with a blanket.

Ours is programmed for 67 during the day, but dd or I will bump it to 68 if we feel cold. It is set for 64 at night. In summer, the AC is set for 77. We do have a newer construction home with decent insulation. I was always cold in the 1930's home I grew up in and we couldn't get it warm enough (not sure what thermostat was set for). We had to use individual heaters too.

We just moved at our old house it was 72 during the day 70 at night.  In the new house it's 71 around the clock because I don't have a thermostat that I can program.  I may swap them out soon so I can do that.  I don't like to wear tons of layers in my house, so we like it warm enough to be comfortable in pants and a t-shirt.  We also have a bearded dragon so keeping it set to low would require me to get extra heating items for her tank to keep it in the right range which would almost negate any savings from lowering the thermostat.

I voted 68/69 but we have individual heaters in each room and that's only for the 2 rooms in which we spend most of our time. The other heaters are left off and those rooms are heated incidentally and are 4-5 degrees cooler. I run the heat in the kids' bedroom for a few minutes before bed and turn it off after they fall asleep, so about 20-30 minutes total.

ETA: No heaters at night, but it's rarely below 40 at night here.

This house is big with a ton of windows.  I keep the thermostat at 62 because the heating bill would be way too high if I didn't.  We just layer up, and we all have a nice big blanket on the couch, one for each of us.  We also have these little table-top heaters called My Heat that we use in the school room on our desks.  And we'll build a fire if we don't have to go anywhere.

This is interesting because most people I know lower their thermostats at night?

We sometimes turn up the thermostat at night, because our main floor is warmer than the upstairs where the bedrooms are. DD still doesn't pull covers over herself and is still a gymnast while she sleeps has the coldest room in the house, so we try to keep her warm.

We also get a lot of sun during the day, so it feels warmer when the sun is up and out.

I'm in Colorado. It's been cold lately, but we keep the heat around 68/69 and will sometimes turn it up to 71-72 at night or if the temp dips to far below 0.

We're wimps. Ours is usually 75 day and 72 night. We're in Florida. When we lived in a colder climate we were able to go cooler but just aren't comfortable with it anymore. As far as being frugal goes, our electric bill is rarely over $100 (maybe two months during the summer and only barely over at that) and it's been that way the entire 8 years we've lived here.

Ours is set at 65 but the thermostat  is in a room with a large southern facing window and right next to the kitchen.  Between those two, that area tends to heat up a lot and so the thermostat thinks the house is a lot warmer than it really is.  For instance today it thought it was 68-70 and so no heat but the bedrooms and downstairs were much colder.  DH said the downstairs was registering at 58.  He does have a space heater for down there on the days when he works from home and it's just too cold.

Ours is at 64. In summer at 82. We do sit under blankets in the evening and dress warmly in the house. Everyone but me is comfortable. I'm always freezing.

This is about right for our house. Usually 63 during he day, lower overnight.  And quite warm in the summer. 

Our house was built in 1882 and has almost all original glass in the windows.  It's very expensive to heat in the winter and I'm too frugal to spend enough to heat it above 63. 

It's very cold here in the winter. Lows this week are in the 12 degree range and highs this week are in the 20's. And this is just the beginning of winter. 

When we retire we're moving back to Georgia. 4 years and 3 months...not that I'm counting. 

66 during the day and 56 at night.

The nursery is at the end of a duct run and is always pretty chilly, so I have a space heater in there that I run for about an hour before the baby goes to bed.  On especially cold nights or if he is sick, I pamper him by putting a heating pad in the crib for a while before bedtime so his sheets and blankie are nice and warm when he lays down.

Wendy

63 during the day (in winter)

58 at night for the whole house

We still have a ceiling fan, box fan, and a window fan going in our room even if it's in the 40s at night.. I need (and DH tolerates) setting our room to "snowflake." For the last seven years, with my insomnia, I can't sleep at night if the room is over say 61-63, and that's with a ceiling fan and box fan going. If I'm stuck in hotel and it's 65, I lay there all night. I don't necessarily feel hot, I just can't sleep. I've often wondered if maybe my body temperature fails to drop properly at night. Strangely, during the day I can take a nap at normal room temperatures.

All of the above means we pay a ton for A/C in the summer but not as much for heat in the winter. Yes, to stay warm we all need fleece jackets and sometimes blankets. But we grew up in the north and my parents especially kept the house on the cool side to save money on their heating bill. So to us it's normal to be chilly inside in the winter much of the time. I guess we save our wimpyness for the summer heat.

71-72. Not only does the temperature outside make a difference, but also the draftiness of the home. Our century old house is just drafty. I'd love to keep it at 68 or so, but I can't. The main room where the thermostat is would be okay, but not many of the other rooms.

I do not turn it down at night. I get cold in the evening. I can't sleep when I'm cold.

I am so glad to be back to hot water heating.  I kick my heat on when I wake up (it usually has fallen to 60-62 degrees overnight) and let it warm to 70 (which feels so much hotter than it is).  Once it hits 70, I turn it off for the day.  At night, I turn it on again and get the house back to 70 (and put a fan on for myself at bed).  It goes off and we all sleep well.  Last year, my kids wouldn't want to get out of bed because it was so cold in our other rental.  I have not heard a peep about cold in the past month.  I really do love hot water heating and really hope I can find a house that has it when I go to buy a house next year (*crossing fingers*).

Mountains, snow outside. 

The general mentality in the area is that since it's cold outside, indoor 60's is fine.  However we keep our house pretty toasty because we have a small child that refuses to wear all their required garments.

We set our at 65 and I still have one in the kitchen right now wearing a t-shirt and shorts and no shoes on his feet sitting next to DH wearing jeans and a flannel shirt along with socks and shoes.  He constantly says, "Put some shoes on your feet!" To which they reply, "Why, it's not cold?"