Menu

What temperature do you keep your house - poll to follow

Tohru

Indoor House Temperature  

359 members have voted

1. 1. What is your thermostat usually set at during the winter (when you're home and awake)?

• < 65
    • 66 / 67
    • 68 / 69
    • 70 / 71
    • 72 / 73
    • 74 / 75
    • > 75
    • Other

I don't quite understand this - it must be a different model than I am used to.  The rent includes heat?  I think in the UK paying for the heat (and other bills) is usually the responsibility of the tenant.  Unless you rent a room in a landlord's own house, of course.

L

I'm not either, and I'm in the US. Although we've owned for most of our marriage, we've had several apartments in our early marriage, and later on, while in between houses with moving. We've always had our own thermostat and paid the heating and other utility bills on our own. They weren't included in our rent. Can't imagine being told I can't have heat higher than a number chosen by the landlord.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our house was built in 1882 and has almost all original glass in the windows.  It's very expensive to heat in the winter and I'm too frugal to spend enough to heat it above 63.

Our house was similar and we were always so broke -- we kept it at 50 during the day and turned it down at night. I never realized it wasn't normal to need to wear long johns and a coat in the house.

I don't quite understand this - it must be a different model than I am used to.  The rent includes heat?  I think in the UK paying for the heat (and other bills) is usually the responsibility of the tenant.  Unless you rent a room in a landlord's own house, of course.

L

It depends. I have rented places in town where the heat was included and I have rented places where I paid for my own utility bill. In my state, if the landlord expects the tenant to pay their own utility bill, then there must be separate meters. Making tenants split a bill etc is not allowed. This is a college town and I have been told the rental rate is upwards of 80%. There are a lot of houses here where the work to put in separate systems has been done.  I have paid my own heat and electricity and cable, but never my own water bill. Here the garbage must be tagged and some landlords have their own dumpster with pick up but most places you have to tag your own.

I lived in one apartment where I was expected to mow the lawn but no lawn mower was provided. I didn't ever quite figure out how I was supposed to do that, lol. I just didn't bother. I tried to hire a couple teens in the neighborhood to do it, but they all turned me down. There was no garage and no place to keep a lawn mower and I lived in a top floor apartment. I was the ONLY person who ever shoveled the snow so I figured that the grass wasn't my problem.

Any my friend who triggered the heat to come on was living in very cold conditions and he had an infant. Like I said, they had ice inside on the walls of their apartment. It hardly seems wasteful to want the heat to come on enough to melt the ice.