Menu

In desperate need of prayers, good thoughts, something

momto2Cs

My dh has been unemployed for nearly two years now. He was on unemployment for part of that time, but that money is long gone. I work part-time outside the home, but it isn't enough to support us. He IS looking actively for work -- it is just that there is not a lot out there. I applied to three local grocery stores today for weekend work to help, which I really don't want to do, but will. Dh was actually scheduled for an interview for a FT position a week ago, but the manager that was supposed to interview him got fired that same day, and despite dh's best efforts, we haven't heard back since.

So far we've been able to scrape by, but that's at an end. We've wiped out any savings. I'm getting really frightened, as is dh. And to top it all off, I may or may not be getting laid off at the end of the month (we're really hoping they'll rescind the layoff). We're waiting for a food stamps interview, but that's not until the end of August, and I am praying things will be better by then.

Any good thoughts you could spare would be very much appreciated.

Praying!

And I second the idea to reach out to churches and food pantries while you are waiting.

Another thought is to put together a Mommy's Morning Off program or day camp you can run from your home. If you keep it under a certain number of hours per day, you might not even need a license. It Depends on your local laws.

:grouphug:

Hugs and prayers.

I also agree about reaching out to churches…and don't forget the LDS churches.  A friend is LDS and she says that their church welcomes non-Mormons for help too.  Usually, they want people to volunteer in return, but I'm not sure if that applies to non-Mormons.

When we lived in NY state, there were programs regarding heating/cooling subsidies.  

I'm sorry.  We were in a similar situation recently.  My dh lost his job and was unemployed for over 2.5 years.  It is very scary and my husband was not willing to apply for food stamps or other aid. My dh has two college degrees, but finally had to take a low paying job without benefits, but it is steady work.  (((Hugs))) and prayers that your dh will come up with something soon.

:grouphug:   Yes, check out local churches for help.  We have a diaconal fund to help people in the community.  There is no obligation to attend the church.  Also check with the utilities for hardship help.  Obviously I don't know anything about your location but every place I've lived has had some sort of help.

August??  Seriously?   There is a 30 day processing requirement, and I can't believe that's not a FEDERAL requirement.  They have to give you an answer within 30 days, getting in your appointment, although you might have to get additional verification (10 days max).  If you PM me and tell me your state, I will triple check that for you.

Even shorter than the 30 day requirement is a provision for "expedited" benefits.  To qualify be "expedited," you must have ONE of these:

If your monthly income plus money in the bank adds up to less than your monthly housing expenses (which includes rent or mortgage and utilities). Your utilities will be determined by a federal standard, which I believe varies, depending on your locality.

OR

Your monthly income is less than $150, and you have less than $100 in the bank.

(There is also a provision for migrant farm workers, but it seems clear from your post that doesn't apply to you.)

This should have been determined by the agency at the time you filed your application.  IF you qualify for this, and they did not catch it, call them tomorrow.  If you qualify for expedited, the agency MUST determine eligibility and provide benefits within 7 calendar days.  (Did you turn your application in in person? If so, did they give you a Hotline sheet?  It's required!)

There are a few clarifications that are determined by state, but in general, these are all major program standards, and the states don't have a choice.

:grouphug:   I can't believe they're taking that long for food stamps!  That's completely unacceptable.  Do you have friends or family you could stay with if you lose your job and can't pay for housing?  Also, are there any temp agencies your dh could get at least some work though?  I know around here, the temp agencies are always looking for people, especially if you're good with computers or have any kind of machining experience.  And a lot of the temp agency jobs here often lead to permanent work.

Also, does your city have a workforce center?  We have them all over the place here in MN- not sure if that's a nationwide thing or just a state thing- but they'll help you hunt down work, and often the workforce employees have some great connections. That's how my dh found his current job.  The workforce center got him into a manufacturing company though a state job training program.

Sometimes people list extra garden produce on Freecycle; or barter weeding for produce.  

Also sometimes the large vendors at Farmer's markets hire people for piece work.  I know it's not much, but my friend always has a hard time finding workers.

Lots of seniors need an extra hand once in awhile and are willing to pay:  cleaning gutters, moving furniture, odds and ends around the house, mowing, trips into town...Once again, I know it isn't much but...

Is relocation an option?  If so, what kind of work are you looking for (or your dh)?  Perhaps a boardie might know something and offer a pm to a link/connection.

I'll second the temp agency ideas.  Around here they can be beneficial at getting "a" job, then one can continue a search (which ironically, often is more successful than getting hired without a job).

And churches... not just for food or supplies, but many times, employers attend church too and networking can find jobs that aren't listed otherwise.  (Pastors or others who assist with food/supplies can know who to check with for jobs.)

No matter what, you have my prayers and :grouphug: .  Try not to get discouraged (though I'm sure that's tough!).

First, lots of hugs to you. That is not an easy thing to juggle.

Are there temp or day labor types things available where you are for him to do something? Here, you can more often than not get something for the day if you walk into LaborReady willing to do any random work.

Also, what is your housing plan? Have you explored options for income based rentals and such if you can't stay in your current home?

We're waiting for a food stamps interview, but that's not until the end of August, and I am praying things will be better by then.

Found it.  Code of Federal Regulations, 7 CFR  273.2(e) (3) :

The State agency must schedule an interview for all applicant households who are not interviewed on the day they submit their applications.  ...  The State agency must schedule all interviews as promptly as possible to insure [sic!] eligible households receive an opportunity to participate within 30 days after the application is filed. ...

If this isn't happening, I would suggest you call your state Department of Social Services NOW (different than your county). Also, if you were given a Hotline sheet (which they are legally required to provide when you personally submit your app), look at the numbers on the back, and call. (Are they maybe Legal Aid types of numbers for non-compliance?). Additionally, you may try calling the local DSS director, although they likely know what's going on already in their agency.

I do wonder if you were given a hotline sheet, because it clearly lays out the responsibilities of the agency in making that determination within 30 days . . .(It seems they would be unwilling to give out this info if they are clearly violating it.)

Thank you all so much.

In regards to some points above - thank you for the church suggestion. Not being a church-going family, that didn't even occur to me.

Food stamps - no, I didn't get any fact sheet. I left a message with my case worker yesterday asking why it has been scheduled this way and am waiting for a call back.

He has signed up with three temp agencies as of this week, so we're hoping.

We are also going to an open house/job fair at a local restaurant today, and have very high hopes!

I also applied for weekend work as a grocery clerk. I have 8 years experience in that field, so may be able to find something supplemental.

Yesterday I felt at my lowest. Today, I feel like there is some hope, and that we will get through this!

My Dad is highly trained and skilled at a few different jobs with a lot of experience, as is his wife.  When they were both laid off at the same time a few years ago they both worked as many hours as they could get as sale's people/cashiers at Cabella's.  It wasn't anywhere near the type of jobs they were qualified for, but they did it to pay the bills and it got them through a tough spot.  I would encourage your dh to look at something "beneath him" until he can find the right job that fits his skills.