Menu

Older folks and computer usage

TravelingChris

Older folks and computer usage  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What age folks should know how to use computers? (first world countries only)

• only 60 and under
    • 61-65
    • 66-70
    • 71-75
    • 76-80
    • over 80
    • other

My dh had his USAF retirement ceremony yesterday after 27 years of service.  My son, who is in his mid 20's, mentioned after the ceremony about how annoyed he is when he meets 65 year olds or there abouts who don't know how to use a computer.  WHen I started thinking about it, I realized that I was using personal computers that were old already 27 years ago as a volunteer crime analyst and then 26 years ago, I was selling accessories for a computer/printer company over the phone to regular customers.  Certainly computers were very, very mainstream 20 years ago and those people would have been 45 then, what my son considers prime of your life- not over the hill.  If anything, all the applications have become easier to use after all these years. 

I am not talking about older people who are suffering from dementia or some other type of mental decline. I don;t know how old most people are that I know - I just know that many people who look a lot older than me and have children a lot older than mine are still working or recently permanently retired, like within the last five years.   However, when I go and chat with older service people = checkers, servers, etc, - they all seem to use computers too and not just at work- emails or texts, communicating with kids and grandkids, looking up their hobbies, etc. 

So what age people are you surprised that they do not and can not use computers, cell phones, etc  for the simplest things like looking up a website and checking when something is open or communicating in some way other than voice phone call with some family member or friend?  I mentioned can not do this since some may now be in such circumstances that they are not presently able (remote locations, lack of funds, ...) but you know they could if they changed their circumstances in some way- able to access service for example.

Dh's Granny is 93 years old. She is on Facebook (the only reason dh is too) and can use a cell phone with no problem. She searches for info online all the time, and has no problem using email.

As to when I'm surprised by the inability to use such technology? Probably with anyone under about the age of 75. Computers came into play while they were still in the "work world" or finishing up raising their children, so yes, I'd expect them to have adapted to the advancing technology.

I was just discussing yesterday with my 55 year old mother, that she is NOT too old to learn computers and she really needs to try and figure them out. If she needs anything online she calls me and has me do it for her. I don't mind helping her, but she is fully capable of doing these things on her own. She says she's too old and would rather be out on her yard, when she's not at work. 

The really aggravating part is that we live very far away and it would be so nice to share pictures and skype if she could get online.

My parents are both over 80 and they use email and Google a lot.  Not much more than thatĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and they're prone to getting viruses from all of the forwards from their friendsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ but still.

I don't think there should be an age limitation.

Why should I be surprised? If people don't want to learn, they don't want to learn. Why should I get frustrated about someone else deciding what they want to do and not do, how they wish to communicate? 

No age. It's none of my business. My grandmother (mid-90s) prefers not to. Her sons (60s) put her on their work computer so when someone is with her they can access Facebook or email for her. Usually someone will say 'Grandma, X has pictures up!' and will sit with her and click through them. That's all she cares about. 

My parents are on, but if they weren't I wouldn't think it strange or be personally insulted, but then again I don't have a smart phone or even keep a cell on me. I don't see the need and plenty of people find that strange. 

My husband can google.  That's about it.  Technology is not his friend.  :laugh: He's in his 50's but I'm not sure if he'll ever be even competent with a computer.  I'm not even sure if he could turn our computers on.  He usually relies on me or one of the kids.  

My dad just turned 70 a few months ago and loves his computer.  He started using computers before he retired.  It became part of his job many years ago, so it was something he became comfortable with doing.  My mom, who is 63, OTOH, never worked outside the home.  She can use a cell phone although he hates texting.  But she hates computers and doesn't want to learn to use them.  I don't see a real need for her to have to use a computer if she doesn't want to.  She could do it if she wanted to, but it holds no interest for her.

My dad would have no trouble with it, but he has aspergers. His fixates on the computer if he has it. So, my mom won't let him use the computer or else that's all he'll want to do. But then again, maybe not.

My mother hates computers and always has. 27 years ago she was 37 years old she was a stay at home mom. She later worked at Wendy's and at a welding company--no computers. She never had to learn on the job, she tried to keep computers from my dad at home, and she has a natural aversion to them.

I have a feeling my dad has a normal like for computers and my mom interprets his normal like of them as a "fixation" since she hates them so much.

She has an email account and that's pretty much all she uses it for. She lives 2500 miles away and will NOT order anything online. Even though most gifts that she wants to give the kids would be best ordered online, she'll go through much effort to track things down in person to mail to us, rather than just doing a few clicks and having it sent to us. She puts herself through so much effort to avoid using the computer.

She also don't trust the computer. She figures that "they" will know too much about her if she uses Facebook. We can't easily share pictures because she won't go on Facebook or any other online place to look at pictures.

She drives me NUTS. I feel like your son (OP) and that she should have had a handle on this long ago and that she is putting other people out because she won't work with them. We have to order plane tickets for her, we have to research things for her....it's really silly. She could be looking up things for her medical conditions, for cooking, etc. All the normal stuff people use them for.

Wow. This became a vent.

But a woman who is 64 should be able to do normal daily activities on the computer. We're not talking fancy programming here. Just things like looking up movie showtimes and checking FB.

ETA: My in-laws are the opposite. My DH, who works in IT and loves computers, exclaimed the other day, "My 70 year old dad has better technology that I do!" He was jokingly miffed about it. And they do! They have ipads and tablets and phones and laptops and desktops...they have it all!

I was just discussing yesterday with my 55 year old mother, that she is NOT too old to learn computers and she really needs to try and figure them out. If she needs anything online she calls me and has me do it for her. I don't mind helping her, but she is fully capable of doing these things on her own. She says she's too old and would rather be out on her yard, when she's not at work. 

The really aggravating part is that we live very far away and it would be so nice to share pictures and skype if she could get online.

'scuse me, but 55 is not what I would consider "old" especially in regards to computers.  Dh turns 55 today, and he majored in computers in college, he was working in a computer shop repairing them during college as well, he worked as a computer engineer ever since then.  He spends most of his time (even spare time) programming.  I'm few years younger than him, but pushing 50, and while it's true I didn't see a computer till college, I took a year of programming my freshman year, and worked in the software industry for 10 years after that.  Someone in their '50's has no "old person" excuse for being afraid of computers!

My parents, another generation older in their mid '70's, are another story.  They do use the computer quite a bit, but dad still gets freaked out if anyone touches his computer that something might have been deleted, and mom spends a day a week at the Apple store learning things that I (yes, pushing 50-yr-old me) have always been able to figure out intuitively.

I'll admit that I have no desire to figure out Twitter, though... maybe I am getting old... :lol:

Really depends on the person, however I don't get irritated at someone who choses not to use a computer. Mil who is about 78 has email but her husband has to access it and read it to her. She does like her cell phone and uses it all the time. We hardly ever email them because they seem to check about once a month. My  mother is 73 and recently got a laptop (in the last three months) and is emailing regularly. She had used a computer at work before she retired but things have changed a lot. When she ordered her laptop, she also ordered one of those "Dummy" books to learn.

When our 87 year old aunt was still alive, she had a computer with email and she used her cell phone, even though she had difficulty remembering the steps to retrieve her voicemail messages. She eventually wrote the process down.

'scuse me, but 55 is not what I would consider "old" especially in regards to computers.  Dh turns 55 today, and he majored in computers in college

Thank you!  I almost spit Diet Pepsi at the idea of a 55-yo being classified as old.  LOL.  Of course, I'm "only" 51, and DH is 53 and has earned our living all these years by being a software developer.  Sometimes it really is hard to remember the large age range represented on this board.

As for the original question -- It doesn't really surprise me when someone of any age isn't computer savvy.  I know people younger than me who aren't, and people who are 75+ and very knowledgeable about all things computer.

My parents are turning 69 in the next couple of weeks

My dad is VERY computer literate. He was repairing computers when we were young. He had a Kaypro CPM machine (our first portable computer -- it was bigger than today's desktop tower!) that was the first computer I remember and travelled the country to keep mainframes going. He was asked to go to South Africa even but turned the opportunity down.  Over the years, he has kept up with tech. Even putting computers together himself and currently has an agreeable trade going with his next door neighbor (who is younger. Maybe mid-50s). My dad keeps his computers going and the next door neighbors helps out with heavier stuff like taking down trees that my dad really shouldn't do anymore.

My mother (same age) is not NEARLY so computer literate. But every time her job has needed her to learn a new system, she did so.  She was a teacher for a few years when I was a kid and my dad bought her a grading software program on cassette tape for our TRS-80 computer. She learned it.  When she switched to being an administrator in a university college, she learned Macintosh because that is what they had. (while also being able to function on our IBM-style machines at home -- first DOS and then Windows 3.1, 95, 98, etc.) She's learned how to use Wordstar, Word Perfect, and Microsoft Word over the years, to be able to do her job.  When her college switched to Sun machines, she learned how to use vi and other Unix-type programs.  Then they switched to Windows NT and she learned Excel.  Now she is learning a new look to her Microsoft programs and creating functions in Excel, as well as some mail merge with data that is sent to her from system-wide databases.

My dad orders from Amazon and searches Craigslist. Not my mom.

ETA: My parents are both on Facebook -- though mostly just to keep up with family and see photos. My mom has even learned to accept texts within the last couple of years though I doubt I'll see either on twitter. I guess it depends on what the grandchildren do (my sister's kids are teenagers and pre-teen).  My mom visits a website every day for a couple of weeks when they are at camp to see the pictures that are put up.

I think it depends on their work history and family involvement.

My 73 year old MIL worked in a office from 1958 until retirement in 2011.  She is comfortable with facebook etc.  My parents have only used a computer at my home.   They do not have one for themselves because they don't have the cognitive abilities to keep it maintained and I have enough stuff to maintain.  They did try a computer class at the library about 10 years  ago but just couldn't' do it (they are 65 and 69)  They both have mental issues so I would guess if they had normal intellect they would be comfortable with an computer

My neighbor who just passed away was 85 and used a computer.  He didn't work with them but once grand kids moved away his 60 year old daughter set them up. 

I have another neighbor who is 82 and was a original computer geek for the military back in the 50's.  He presently has a lot of modern computers and his living room looks like a apple lab LOL  He has been great as a tutor to both my boys in all their upper math classes. 

I just have to say I live in a lake community in the south east most of my neighbors are retired so I see 60's year olds who are frail and dying do to mentality more than anything  and then 92 year olds that still tango and disco ( I love to see the ones that haven't quit living)

'scuse me, but 55 is not what I would consider "old" especially in regards to computers.  Dh turns 55 today, and he majored in computers in college, he was working in a computer shop repairing them during college as well, he worked as a computer engineer ever since then.  He spends most of his time (even spare time) programming.  I'm few years younger than him, but pushing 50, and while it's true I didn't see a computer till college, I took a year of programming my freshman year, and worked in the software industry for 10 years after that.  Someone in their '50's has no "old person" excuse for being afraid of computers!

My parents, another generation older in their mid '70's, are another story.  They do use the computer quite a bit, but dad still gets freaked out if anyone touches his computer that something might have been deleted, and mom spends a day a week at the Apple store learning things that I (yes, pushing 50-yr-old me) have always been able to figure out intuitively.

I'll admit that I have no desire to figure out Twitter, though... maybe I am getting old... :lol:

Thank you!  I almost spit Diet Pepsi at the idea of a 55-yo being classified as old.  LOL.  Of course, I'm "only" 51, and DH is 53 and has earned our living all these years by being a software developer.  Sometimes it really is hard to remember the large age range represented on this board.

As for the original question -- It doesn't really surprise me when someone of any age isn't computer savvy.  I know people younger than me who aren't, and people who are 75+ and very knowledgeable about all things computer.

*I* am not implying that 55 is old at all. And actually, my mom just had a birthday, so she is 56 :) My point was/is that she thinks she is "too old". She is not and has never been a technology person. She works in a plant nursery, and when not at work, is always busy in her own yard. She doesn't have a cell phone, owns a computer - but doesn't even know how to turn it on! When we were kids, my brother and I had to put a movie on for her, she does now know how to use the VCR and DVD player, sort of :)  

I tell her all the time, she could learn to use cell phones and computers, she just is not into it. 

My step-mom went to visit her sister in Hawaii and would email me using her sister's email address!  :rofl: I asked her if she had to go on the internet for the email and she said yes.  I asked why doesn't she just type in her email and password.  She had no answer.  I guess if you are visiting someone only their email works!

Oh, and she is in her 60s.

My son, who is in his mid 20's, mentioned after the ceremony about how annoyed he is when he meets 65 year olds or there abouts who don't know how to use a computer. 

Why does it annoy him? In what capacity is he interacting with these people?

My 90-year-old grandfather uses his computer just fine; he's not on Facebook, but he uses email just fine, and at least a few years ago, he and my grandmother were shopping online. I think he has a cell phone too. (Otoh, my grandmother passed away a few weeks ago, and my mom stayed with him for a week; he drove them to his doctor's appointments, but Mom had to show him how to do laundry -- my grandmother had done the laundry for 65 years because she liked it done a certain way, and so he had never had a need to do it.)

My DH uses his computer a ton (although he detests social media), but I don't think he knows how to pay our bills online. But I don't know how to do some of the stuff he does on the computer for work every day, so I really think it's on a "what do you need to know how to do?" basis.

I'd say I might be surprised by someone under the age of say 60 who doesn't know how to use a computer at all. But I'd only be annoyed if it was effecting their ability to do a job (and that somehow effected me). One of the doctors in my office is particularly computer illiterate. I recently asked him what operating system he had at home. Not only did he not know but he couldn't tell me if it was a Windows or a Mac because "my wife just does all that." That seemed odd to me but it didn't annoy me. However there have been times where his lack of computer skills have more directly impacted me (made me have to do extra work) and that is a tad annoying. 

Doctors in particular seem to be especially non-tech savvy, or at least the ones in my experience. I was recently at a lecture and had to help set up the speaker's computer/projector/speakers. I told dh when I got home that surprisingly I was the most knowledgable person in the room and he shook his head and just said "that's sad." :)

My son is meeting these people at his job (pharmacy tech) and these are customers who don't want to go on the Internet (or find out any other way) what their drug plan or insurance covers. They want to whine to him about the programs but there are loads of different insurances and Medicare drug plans and while he can tell them maybe a little bit about their coverage based on what their insurance is telling him when he enters the script in his system,he can't stand there all day and explain the ins and outs of the system. He has lines of customers to serve.

What many of you who say who cares don't realize is that many government functions are starting to be done only online.

My son is meeting these people at his job (pharmacy tech) and these are customers who don't want to go on the Internet (or find out any other way) what their drug plan or insurance covers. They want to whine to him about the programs but there are loads of different insurances and Medicare drug plans and while he can tell them maybe a little bit about their coverage based on what their insurance is telling him when he enters the script in his system,he can't stand there all day and explain the ins and outs of the system. He has lines of customers to serve.

What many of you who say who cares don't realize is that many government functions are starting to be done only online.

This bugs me...people shouldn't be forced online.

I honestly think nursing homes should find a way to provide tablets for all of their residents. We just got my 74 year old mom an iPad for Christmas and she loves it. Now, she was already a computer person, but her love for the ipad is bigger than that. She didn't have texting on her cell phone, so we set her up with a texting app. Now she gets picture messages from her grandkids with pictures of all her great grandkids. And she just texts to stay in contact. She takes photos and puts them on Facebook all the time now. Heck, we were just at Disney and she wanted to carry her ipad with her so she could take pictures and post and talk to people. Another of her very favorite things to do, is crawl into bed and watch Dr. Who on it. She is a very happy great grandma. My dad was sick for 9 years before he passed away. He was in too much pain to sit up at a desk with a computer, he would have loved an iPad. Can you imagine what seniors could do with their own tablets? Contact family, movies, games, news, music, audiobooks and the list goes on.

Someone mentioned up thread that it depends on a lot of life circumstances. I agree.

My paternal grandfather is 84 and a computer wiz. He also has a PhD from Princeton. He is the one we call to help us figure things out. At the same time, he struggles a little bit with his iPad and iPhone.

My husbands grandmother is also 84 and doesn't have a computer or any desire to learn how to use one. She was raised, and raised her children, on a farm. She lives in a sweet, tiny town in Nebraska. I don't think she has a cellphone, smart or otherwise.

My mother is 68 and can do quite a bit on the computer because she was working until just a few years ago.  My stepfather is in his mid-late 70's and also is on the computer quite a bit - Facebook, surfing the net type stuff.  I don't think he knows things like Word or Excel.

My MIL is the same age as my stepfather and does not really know how computers work.  She can barely get on Facebook and post.  I don't think she worked doing anything that involved computers.  I believe she was a bus driver and probably stopped doing that at a youngish age.  

I don't think FIL does anything on the computer, ever.  He works/worked as a painter so also didn't work on computers.

My father is 75 and doesn't use computers at all.  He worked in a mail room when he last worked and did very little on computers - maybe scanning in packages.

25 years ago I was working as a secretary using DOS based Word Perfect.  18/20 years ago I was teaching training classes on Windows 3.1, Word, Excel and Powerpoint to companies that were upgrading from DOS for the first time.  It was very common for me to have older people in my classes at that time who knew nothing about computers and had no desire to learn anything.

Even 10 years ago, it wasn't that uncommon for the older, executive level employees to barely know how to check their own emails.  Now, the partners and presidents in the company I currently work for all know how to do their own Powerpoint presentations, Excel spreadsheets, etc.  Most of them are in the mid-40's to mid-50's range though.

It depends on the individual.  Some people don't like technology, some people have severe vision problems, and some older people never actually learned how to read, since there weren't a lot of services available for learning disabled kids when they were school-aged.  Of course some older people don't have the mental capacity.  And there are probably many who don't have the money or mobility to get access to a personal computer.

But most of the older people I know do use computers. My parents are 70+ and they both use them all the time (perhaps too much!).  same with good friends of mine with whom I keep in touch mainly via email.  Of course all of my former work colleagues, some of whom are well past retirement age, are very comfortable with computers.

I remember when I bought my grandma her first microwave when she was in her mid-80s.  She was afraid to use it.  She was afraid that she'd forget a rule and blow up the house.  She had noticed that she was starting to lose her sharpness.  The same grandma also never learned how to drive, preferring to use the bus system to get around.  Different strokes for different folks.  (Grandma died many years ago.)

Now that I think about it, I have a friend who is my age (47) who does not have email.  She told me that she only had email at work, and she has since stopped working there.  She would never use internet at home.  Maybe that has changed since she had to switch jobs.  As a result of this, I only sent emails very rarely so as not to get her in trouble, and I'm not big on phone calls, so we really aren't in touch.  I can't really complain, because after all, what is my problem with picking up the phone??

My mom uses her computer for solitaire and for shopping on eBay.  She used to do more with computers, but she has developed a lot of problems with her eyes.  And she was never one for email.  I don't know why.  If I want her to see/read something I send it to my dad and he shows her.  (The two have separate computers.)  Maybe she got sick of all the stinkin' spam - for which I can't blame her.

Neither of my parents is on facebook.  It just isn't their thing.  Frankly, it isn't my thing either, but I'm on it because it's the only way to stay connected with certain people.

Actually I wrote that answer on the cellphone right before teaching a class.  It isn't the whiners who bother him as much as the argumentative types.  He has sympathy for the people who are on lousy plans that only allow four prescriptions a month and they have multiple medical issues.  And upon further reflection, those that are trying to start arguements (he doesn't give in and demonstrated to us what he does with those people, and it always is a very polite response- just sometimes has to be repeated), are probably people with personality problems, mental issues (be it beginnings of dementia or just continuation of prior issues), or are just generally very cranky types.

However, many of you are describing people who just don't bother to learn and expect others to do things for them.  If it is annoying to family members to have to do this, how much more for service workers who cannot actually accomplish what said person wants?  I don't work in the service industry and don't want to either.  But we have free computers for every one and anyone to use at our libraries.  We have homeless people who use these computers and the library has sessions all the time on how to use various computer programs.  You can't even look up a book without using a computer. I am sure if a person of any age came in and asked how to find a website or when they see www.whatever.com, how to use that address,  a librarian or library aid would be happy to help them. 

Oh and Happi, probably within the next 10 years a lot of things will only be able to be done on computers.  It is just the way things will be done since it is such a more economical way of doing things.  Businesses will continue with alternate means until there are so few using those methods that they will be stopped.  Already a number of companies have decided that print catalogs are not economical or enviromentally friendly and have moved to online shopping only.  I don't personally care except I hope that any company I am investing in (very indirectly since I don't own individual stocks, just mutual funds and maybe soon some ETFs), will be looking to lower expenses and raise earnings.

I honestly think nursing homes should find a way to provide tablets for all of their residents. We just got my 74 year old mom an iPad for Christmas and she loves it. Now, she was already a computer person, but her love for the ipad is bigger than that. She didn't have texting on her cell phone, so we set her up with a texting app. Now she gets picture messages from her grandkids with pictures of all her great grandkids. And she just texts to stay in contact. She takes photos and puts them on Facebook all the time now. Heck, we were just at Disney and she wanted to carry her ipad with her so she could take pictures and post and talk to people. Another of her very favorite things to do, is crawl into bed and watch Dr. Who on it. She is a very happy great grandma. My dad was sick for 9 years before he passed away. He was in too much pain to sit up at a desk with a computer, he would have loved an iPad. Can you imagine what seniors could do with their own tablets? Contact family, movies, games, news, music, audiobooks and the list goes on.

That's great! My parent have both died (4 & 7 years ago, they were 78 & 75). They didn't have a computer and internet before they passed away (they did have WebTv for awhile) because the computer itself was too overwhelming for them to learn. I think they would have LOVED the iPad though and done great with it.

I know there's a computer guy on the radio that strongly recommends iPads for seniors. They can surf the net, have email and text and not have to be bogged down with the computer itself.

Tell your mother to call me. I will be 63 this summer. If *I* am not too old, neither is she, and I'll be glad to tell her that for you. Hmph. Also, you have my permission to refuse to do stuff for her on the computer. If she wants it that badly, she can learn to do it herself.

Just kidding...sort of... :D

I know people younger than she who don't do much on the computer, so it isn't an age thing; it's a personality thing, I guess.

Even in a first world country, not everyone has access to computers. I'm not yet 40, but they hadn't permeated public schools yet by the time I graduated. Now not all schools have computers or computer instruction, and I'd guess those areas have fewer computers (and high speed internet) in students' homes as well.

DH's brother (35) doesn't like computers. It hurts his business, but he's not willing to learn them and does things the hard way. He will use email, sort of. He checks it every few days and calls you back. He also takes the camera memory card to Sam's and gets every single picture printed as a 4x6, then deletes the card. He finally got a friend to fix a bare-bones website for his business, and when the friend asked for pictures of jobs, he brought over albums. WTH was he supposed to do with photo albums? It's weird.

My parents are 73 and 78 and use computers. Sure, they are not as tech savy as we or the kids, and DH has to help with administration issues - but they can use email, web search, book flights and hotel accommodations, play games, write texts...

I would expect any senior to be able to use a computer if he is interested. After all, even for today's 80 year olds, computers were around when they were in the work force.

Now, not every senior wants to use one - but that's another story. FIL was in his 60s when computers became widely available and he avoided using one like the plague. MIL had to type everything for him - he refused to learn how to use the thing. And he is a highly educated physics professor, so it was not a question of lacking intellectual capabilities, but sheer stubbornness. He did.not.want.to. And never learned.

It never occurred to me to be irritated when an elderly family member asks me to do something because they don't know how to go about it.  I thought it was something family members do for our elderly folks.  It happens to me a lot.  As people get older they tend to get more worried about any little thing that can go wrong.  Especially when it comes to legal things, money, or health matters.  If my parent called and said "I don't feel comfortable driving to xyz, will you drive me" I would honor their feeling; why not do the same if it's the computer they're not comfortable with?  Does anyone think they *want* to feel helpless?  Getting older can be scary.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be fluent with computers unless they grew up with them. PCs didn't come out until about 1980, so anyone born before about 1970 I don't expect to be fluent or "online". Some people pick up computer technology easily, others need more direct instruction.

I grew up with rotary telephones. I cannot use most functions on  most modern telephones without an instruction book; sometimes I cannot even dial out or answer. I am well under 60. It's just not something that comes naturally to me and no one cares enough to explain.

Many of us are living proof that you can use a computer in your 50s! Come on Mom, give it a go.

My Grandma is 85 and is on Facebook, actively.  She also owns an iPad and Facetimes with family.  I know that they were one of the first families they knew to own a computer back in the day, though, so maybe she has always been ahead of the curb that way.

My other 80-something year old grandmother doesn't even know how to use email.

We tried to get my now-84yo grandmother online AND cell-phone-adept a few years ago, but it didn't take.  My 78yo grandmother practically lives on Facebook.

I don't know about the "should" part. I mean, how much does it really matter if a retired physical laborer isn't "up to speed" on technology?  If there wasn't a need for 70+ years and isn't a desire now, it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

My stepfather (early 60s) knows how to run the programs he had to use for work, and I assume he can do more than that, but he doesn't like to.  My mother (also early 60s) uses the computer for work and personal use, but not to the extent that my sisters and I do.

Mom will have or hear a question and say "Oh, I'll have to remember to look into that later," while my sisters and I will immediately flip open a laptop or turn on a phone to get the answer then and there.