Menu

How often do you food shop?

Quiver0f10

I normally do a large food shop every two weeks, but I am considering doing a smaller weekly shopping instead. I am mostly considering this because we want to eat more fresh veggies and fruit rather than frozen and/or canned, which will  require shopping more often. I pick up eggs and milk from farmers every week anyways, so picking up fresh food makes sense too. Will I hate life shopping weekly though?

Our store is 1.5 miles down the street, so I go about every other day. We're in Florida and the weather is usually nice enough to walk, so it limits how much I can do at one time. I enjoy it much more than when I would shop for two or more weeks at a time. We eat better food and there is not any waste.

Short answer: Absolutely no more often than I absolutely have to because there are not words in the English language to describe how much I hate shopping of any kind.

Long answer: Costco run about once a month to stock up on freezer items, pantry staples, etc.   For perishables, the grocery store is 1/2 block away from the ice rink and we're at the rink every day. So, I often grab that sort of thing during a quick stop while the kids are practicing.

Almost every day. I'm surprised how long some of you can make it without going! I live super close to a produce market though, so it's not a big deal to pop in for a cilantro, coffee beans, or whatever. 

I think I need to go back to meal planning. I can see I'm going way to often!

I am in one food store or another every 2 - 3 days. 

Costco, about once a month, then Aldi, the produce market, and/or a regular grocery during the rest of the month.  I don't have one place I can get everything I need.  One grocery store that often has great day-old bread products, good sales on meat, and the yogurt we like best, is on the way home from the library, so I might go in there if convenient even if I've been in another store that day.

Every two or three days.

Teenaged boys eat lots of food under normal circumstances.  Oldest DS runs cross country and is training for a half marathon in November, and according to his coach he needs to be consuming a minimum of 3,000 calories a day, including lots of fresh fruit.  And I hate lugging home a truly huge load of groceries at one time.  It's much less stressful for me to go several times a week.  And since we have four grocery stores within three miles of us, it's not a big deal.

TJ's every month or two.

Sunday for M-F meals

Saturday morning for weekend meals (I roll with the sales and my mood)

I pick up fruit every day, when I walk the dog in the morning, so no waste.

Plus occasionally cases of sale items.

Generally once per week at our grocery store and once every 2 - 3 weeks at Wally World.  Either can vary if necessary.

We don't buy many eggs or vegetables due to having our own garden (many veggies get frozen to carry us into or through winter).  Right now we also have more pears than we know what to do with and  just finished up our grapes.  We do buy what we want to eat, but don't grow (like celery).

I'm not fond of shopping, but I'd rather not buy huge amounts by going less frequently.  We're pretty close to the local store and I use their sale flyer to shop each week plus they'll take any competitor's coupons.  They're the best around for meat anyway (combo of best price and fresh meat).

Once a week.  I keep a dry erase board on the fridge, and we add things we need to that board, and then before I shop I make a menu and list.  

I pretty much refuse to shop more often than that.  It's got to be something pretty major for me to run in and pick it up (and the nearest grocery store is only a mile away).  Otherwise?  Put it on the list and I'll get it next week.  Even if I walk in the door with groceries and you ask if I got [insert item here] and when you find out I didn't because it wasn't on the list and you give me puppy dog eyes and a sad face, I still won't get it until next week.

Once a week. We don't eat much packaged food. I count things like pasta and bread and cheese as packaged food. I try to have my shopping be produce based. I have a freezer so I try to make stuff we eat often (black beans, refried beans, hummus, pasta sauce, muffins) at my leisure and freeze.

I also don't have a costo, or whatever has bulk buying, in this town. We have a small family, only 4 of us, so I see no need to drive 45 mins to buy super jumbo sizes. My mom sometimes brings us jumbo boxes of goldfish crackers or whatever, and it either encourages us to overeat or it goes stale and gets tossed. If I am tossing it out, or if it is unhealthy food that I overeat, I don't consider that cost effective. The times that I have gone with her into her big giant super store place I didn't find the unit prices to be any better than my local supermarket.

That said, I live in a small city and it takes me moments to drive to the store. Around here a traffic jam means that it took me 13 mins to get to the store instead of 9. Plus, I have three small stores and an Aldis within 2 blocks if I run out of eggs or milk. I have to do that a couple times a year. If I had to drive an hour to grocery shop then I would be going much less.

For heavy items like gallons of milk or sack of potatoes, once a week as my hubby does the carrying since it is a long walk from the garage to our unit.

For anything else we can walk to the supermarket any day we want as it is 0.3 miles/1584 ft. away. When kids were younger and in the double jogger, I would walk and dump the heavy items into the jogger's basket.

I shop every 3 weeks. Shopping requires a trip to town, so I just make one all day trip of it. I buy bulk, fresh, frozen, pantry stuff, and anything else needed (clothing etc.) at that time. We eat fresh until the fresh is gone (about 1-1.5 weeks) and then we switch to frozen for the duration. It is not my favorite to eat frozen, but this is just how it works for us right now.

About once a week.  I order from Bountiful Baskets, go to the farmer's market, go to Kroger and do a once a month (on average) trip to a salvage grocery store.  I rotate these trips.  The Bountiful Basket produce keeps up well-stocked for a week, with some items lasting up to two weeks.  The farmer's market is good on the off weeks of Bountiful Baskets (which delivers every other week at the location I use), and I also get local raw honey and chicken fajita meat there.  I choose the organic option for Bountiful Basket and sometimes order an "add on" of a specialty produce bag. 

I don't mind going to the grocery store usually, and I like to cook healthy, fresh food so that means I am at the store quite a lot.

I hate grocery shopping and like to do it as little as possible.  However, fresh fruit doesn't last long in this house. 

My monthly shopping looks something like this:

Costco run every couple of months for staples. Big bags of baking soda, big bag of sugar in the raw, 20lb bag of rice, frozen wild blueberries, assorted other freezer goodies, and cheese.

Trader Joe's run once a month for cereal, crackers, assorted things I like from Trader Joe's

Bi-weekly trip to the poultry farm for eggs, poultry, and dog food.

I belong to a food co-op that I pick up bi-weekly.

Once a week to fill in what the co-op did not cover-assorted herbs, fruit, meat on sale, etc.

I do find that if I buy less and go with more frequency I have less spoilage and use what I have for fresh fruit and veggies.

Once a week, but it's not necessarily for the items needed for that week's meals. I'll buy produce and other perishables for the week, but the rest of the trip it's to get the stuff we use regularly that's on sale for the lowest price I've ever found it. So, for example, if ground sirloin is at it's lowest price, I will stock up for the freezer even if we won't be serving it at all that week.

Twice a week. 3-4 days worth of food is manageable to plan for, fit in the cart, bag and carry into the house, put away and fit in the fridge.

A full week of groceries would be overwhelming, and we would never have room in the fridge for all that produce. Plus, the fruit would be mushy half-way through the week.

I typically shop once per week for a big shop, but that means 2-3 different stores.  Once every two weeks I will head to Costco.

I have a tried a new method lately.  I will get everything for Friday night through Monday morning.  Then I will go get everything for Monday through Friday morning.  Meal planning and buying on sale.  The main grocery is only a mile away.