Menu

just curious...

ProudGrandma

We run ours once a day. We're two adults, a kid, and three cats (cat bowls go in the dishwasher). We eat all our meals at home.

I don't put in pots or pans (except pyrex dishes that don't have too much stuff caked on), or the nice wine glasses. Pots and pans take up too much room and most of our stuff is either heavy Le Creuset or the finish isn't dishwasher safe.

If we run it once a day, that feels like a lot.

We don't put in:

Anything with lots of avocado on it, like the bowls, forks, spoons, knives used to make guacamole each day, or the plates smeared with guacamole. I've yet to find a dishwasher-plus-detergent combo that reliably removes avocado from dishes.

Anything with much nut butter or seed butter. Same issue as avocado -- often the dishwasher doesn't do a satisfactory job, and we'd be re-washing anyway.

The glasses with the Star Trek crew on them -- the dishwasher detergent would eventually fade the picture and we would all be very sad.

Dh's favorite glass because we don't run it often enough for the glass to be clean all the time.

Sharp knives because it's not good for the edge.

Pots and pans because it's not good for the finish.

Cat food dishes because it's faster to hand wash before the cat dies of hunger at my feet ohmygoshpleasefeedmeNOW.

Many plastic containers because they fly around.

Twice a day and six people live here. Sometimes more if I'm cooking/baking more than usual.

I try to wash glassware by hand since it eventually etches. Sometimes I run a quick load if there's a bunch of glasses with just about 1/2 tsp detergent (We mostly drink water.).

I have some KitchenAid non-stick cookware I hand wash because the dishwasher makes the outside look awful.

Also cutting boards and anything that won't fit or is just too much of a space hog gets washed by hand. Eventually... :leaving:

Maybe 3-4 times a WEEK. The only time I would ever run it that often is if we have a lot of company.

I don't put the blender in it (by the time I'd run it everything in the blender would be caked on, plus I'd want it before I'd get around to running the dishwasher), the good knives, pots and pans, (too big), pampered chef stoneware and cast iron pans.

We run it about every other day. There are 2 adults and one teen boy here.

Things that don't go in:

*pots & pans

*anything with wood - steak knives, cutting board, salad bowls, etc.

*anything that might rust - metal whisk, cheese grater, etc.

ETA: I don't put large items in if they'll take up too much room. As a previous poster said, I'd rather wash one big item than several small ones. If I was about to run the dishwasher anyway and the large item will fit, then I'll put it in.

I thought cast iron and stoneware went without saying, but I don't put those in either. If something is not dishwasher safe, it doesn't go in. If something will supposedly last longer if washed by hand, it usually gets washed by hand but occasionally will go in the dishwasher.

Once a day. But I end up washing by hand at least 2xs maybe 3xs a day. That's mostly because I milk.

Small saucepans sometimes go in there if there's room, but I'd rather wash one large thing by hand than 4-5 plates.

Sharp knives are washed by hand and most of my skillets since they are cast iron. I wash my milking stuff by hand. I cook at supper and lunch is leftovers or sandwiches. Breakfast is cereal, eggs or maybe pancakes. But the way my dishwasher is laid out, I can fit a ton of plates in there, so if I can keep my kids from using a million cups I do okay running it once a day.

Twice a day. Once for the breakfast/lunch dishes and once for dinner. No pots or pans or large items (like glass mixing bowls) that take up too much space. I am guilty of putting my wooden spoons in the dishwasher. When I finally break down and buy new ones, I'll handwash them. I promise.

3 family members living here, dh works at home, so eats daytime meals and snacks here but ds is off at CC quite a lot during the week. I usually run the dishwasher once a day. If we eat out for the evening meal, the dishwasher might wait until the second day.

I don't run pots & pans, clear glass, knives, or items with wood (except our very plain, unlacquered wood chopsticks).

I do pre-rinse before putting dishes in and try to rinse as soon as we've finished using the dish so things don't dry on and make it more difficult to get off. For instance, someone mentioned avocado. When I prepare & eat avocado, I rinse the dishes, cutting board, and utensils as I go.

We usually run ours once, maybe twice if we have been cooking a lot that day. I don't typcially put big pots and pans in there because they often need scrubbing, so it just makes sense to finish washing them by hand anyway. I don't put sharp knives in there (it is supposed to be bad for the edge), wine glasses (since they tip over and break), fine china or crystal (used once or twice a year), anything with wood on them, or reusable water bottles. I don't typically pre-rinse the dishes - just scrape the food off of them - unless they have something really starchy on them (like mashed potatoes) or slurry for making gravy. ... Which reminds me that my son needs to clean out the trap at the bottom of the dw today.

Once a day. I do wash my good knives in there because I sharpen them periodically anyways. I was our stainless pans if there is room and if it isnt too baked on to get clean. I wash my cutting boards in the dw and just replace them every few years.

I guess one of the few things i dont wash in there is my cast iron.Ds18 does all the dshes so I try to make it sinple for him.

When both dc were home, *maybe* once a day. Now that it's just Mr. Ellie and me, and I don't cook that much, two or three times a week. If I have guests for dinner, then I'll probably run it a couple of times during prep and afterwards for clean-up.

I love having the dishwasher because there are never dirty dishes on the counter or in the sink. Everything goes in when it's used, and I run the dishwasher whenever it's full. Mr. Ellie and I each have a favorite mug, which we rinse out and "store" in the dishwasher and use each time we make coffee or tea. I *love* putting the lid for my Stir-Crazy popcorn popper because it comes out SO clean. :-) And I do rinse lightly, since most of the time, dishes will be in there for several days, and I don't want food odor emanating from the dishwasher. :-o

Most things go in it. My stainless-steel waterless cookware goes in whenever possible, because they come out nice and shiney :-) but I only put them in if there's room, KWIM? The only cooking item I wouldn't put in the dishwasher is my Emeril fry pan (because the instructions say not to); otherwise, if it fits, in it goes (including the lid to the Emeril fry pan).

I used to have some sweet Homer Laughlin china, but I replaced it eventually because the sweet decals on the dishes weren't made to go in dishwashers, and they faded over time. :-( I do, however, put my Noritake china in the dishwasher.

I handwash my Princess House butter dish, but the Princess House glasses go in.

I use Amway dishwasher detergent; I've never had problems with etching or water spots.

Usually once, occasionally twice.

I wash my pots and pans, big bowls, baking dishes/sheets, etc., by hand (they just take up too much space).

I try to remember to wash all of my knives by hand, but when the kids do the dishes, they end up thrown in....

Oh yeah, I don't put wooden spoons in. We once had one get knocked down, and it landed on the heating element and caught fire (just a smolder) right before we went on a weekend getaway. Luckily we smelled it and caught it! I don't know if it would have burned the place down or not. This was in an apartment building, so it would have affected a lot of people!

Usually once a day here. There are 5 of us but my boys are away at school M/W/F and they "forget" to eat on days that they're home if there isn't leftover pizza in the fridge. :glare:

What doesn't go in: pots, pans, cast iron, broiler pan, rice cooker pot, special embossed mugs. pastry brush, rolling pin. My dishwasher doesn't throw around plastics so they go in. It gets peanut butter off if the bowl has been soaking prior to loading it. The only issue I've had so far is with oatmeal. That won't come off even if the bowl has been soaking. That stuff just cements itself down!

If I have only a partial load at the end of the day or if the load is particularly dirty/greasy (I don't pre-wash the dishes, just scrape) then I'll run the quick rinse cycle.

At minimum, once a day. Everything goes in except pots and pans, KitchenAid mixer pieces, cookie sheets and travel mugs.

My dishwasher is awesome with baked on Pyrex and crockpot insert. I specifically make sure there is room for those so I don't have to scrub those.

I am so tempted to throw my pots and pans in, I get so tired of washing things by hand! They are dishwasher safe, but I think they will last longer if I hand wash.

I usually run it just once, unless I've been doing a ton of baking or extra cooking for some reason.

There are four of us, two adults and two teens. Three of us at least prepare and usually eat almost all of our meals at home. (We do take "dinner" on the road three or four days a week, but we prep and pack the food at home and bring back mostly re-usable containers that get washed after the fact.)

I don't put in pots and pans, except for the old enameled ones. I also hand wash some of my daughter's mugs about which she is especially sentimental, to avoid fading or ruining the designs.

We do two times a day usually. After lunch and before bedtime. I usually wash cooking pots and pans and cooking utensils as well as plastics by hand, otherwise the plates, glasses and bowls don't fit. Woe to the one who forgets to start it before bedtime because that IS a tragedy!

on an average day

run: 1 - 2 times. (after a holiday dinner, I've run it as many as eight/nine times in 36 hours. in addition to everything washed by hand.)

I will not put in kitchen knives - not ever. It pocks the blade and dulls them. eventually they cannot be sharpened. we have good knives, they are sharp and hold an edge and want them to stay that way. a sharp kitchen knife is a joy to use. cutting a tomato is like a hot knife through butter.

dh gave his sister some good kitchen knives for christmas one year. she regularly puts them in the dishwasher and they are in horrendous condition. if he's expected to carve anything when he goes there, he brings his own knives and doesn't touch hers.

only a few pots go in the dishwasher, most of my pots and pans are also washed by hand. depends on the material.

things that are too big to go in. e.g. we have a bread dough bowl that is simply waaaaay too big.

crystal, silver, painted glass, dh's grandmother's 100-year-old china. (and hence we only use it for really special occassions as no one wants to wash it. :) )

All.the.flipping.time!!!! I swear, it feels nonstop. In reality, I do run it about three times per day. We cook all our meals at home and there are six of us. Also, I have a little dishwasher in our rental. That makes a difference.

The only thing that doesn't go in the dishwasher is items too large...like, pans and skillets.

Usually once a day but sometimes twice if I'm cooking/baking in bulk to freeze and have used a lot of mixing bowls. I don't put plastic, wood, or knives (I do put in knives from our dinnerware, though) in the dishwasher. I just run it when it's full, rather than at set times during the day.

Twice a day at a minimum. Sometimes 3. On rare occasions when we're cooking up a storm (not for guests just specialty meals we like), we'll end up running it four times a day! But that's pretty rare. We are a family of 6. We like to cook.

Things that don't go into the dishwasher: wooden spoons or other wooden tools; our good knives because my dh insists that it makes them dull; cutting boards; nonstick skillets; china and crystal; travel mugs; thermoses.

One time a day, or night really. I load up stray dishes/glasses and run the dishwasher in the evening before heading to bed. 2 adults 2 teens.

I will put in pots/pans if there is room, otherwise I wash those by hand. I use large cookie sheets often for broiling veggies or meats and they don't fit into the dishwasher very well so they are usually hand washed.

One of my kids is great about using the same glass throughout the day. He has a special spot for it and we have a lot of family jokes about this. My other son is horrified at the thought of re-using a glass.

Once a day, usually at night when I go to bed. I put away the clean dishes in the am.

I wash pots, pans, knives, baking/cooking utensils by hand. I always have a sink full of hot, soapy water ready to go when I cook so by the time the meal is ready all cooking utensils are already washed. The only things left to wash are the serving dishes, plates and cups.

I do run the baby's sippies and utensils through the sanitize cycle once every other day or so. This is in addition to their daily washing.

3 times a day at least. I REALLY hate handwashing, so everything goes in there except my one nonstick skillet and one cast iron skillet, and the pan from my breadmaker. THere are 8 of us, 85% cooking from scratch, we don't recycle cups (I'm weird like that), and I can a lot of my own food in the fall, so there are often mason jars.

We run ours once a day. We're two adults, a kid, and three cats (cat bowls go in the dishwasher). We eat all our meals at home.

I don't put in pots or pans (except pyrex dishes that don't have too much stuff caked on), or the nice wine glasses. Pots and pans take up too much room and most of our stuff is either heavy Le Creuset or the finish isn't dishwasher safe.

This is us, pretty much, down to the Le Creuset and the nice wine glasses. Though we only have one cat and we do eat out sometimes.

But we run the dishwasher once a day. Every night as we're going off to bed, dh tucks the last couple of glasses in and hits the switch. It's loud, so I don't like it on while we're still up and about. Upstairs in bed, I can still hear it but the noise helps me go to sleep.

It works best for us to run it at the same time every day. Ds unloads it every morning, and then we fill it through the day. There's a lot we have to wash by hand anyway, so if some machine washable things don't fit we just do those with the handwash items. We've got our routine down to a science now.

Every once in awhile we don't have enough to fill the dishwasher and we (try to) hold it over to the next night. But it usually ends up being too full the next day, so it throws our whole system off.

At least once a day, half the time twice a day.

I put every last thing I can in there, because I LOATHE hand washing dishes. I don't put cast iron in, obviously. I'll hand wash a big pot or bowl if it means I can fit everything else in to run it. Otherwise, it all goes in.

We eat 99% of our meals at home.

Once a day. I don't put in pots, pans, nice baking sheets, baking stones, newer tupperware, a couple of very large bowls, Pampered chef knives, wooden spoons, and ice cream scoop, cutting boards, peeler, and a can opener. We use those things often, but handwash them; my dishdrainer is full everyday. We eat at home a lot, too.