Menu

What Happened to Lands' End?

astrid

I used to shop there a LOT. Like MOST of my wardrobe came from LE. Now my jeans are wearing out and I need a new pair and they don't seem to carry just plain denim jeans anymore! I liked them because they carried womens petite and were pretty durable. I think I'm out of luck replacing them, though.

They've also gotten super expensive! I work, so I wear office casual four days per week-- slacks and a sweater twin set, for example. It seems that in the past year their prices have really jumped!

I think it might be time to send some complaint letters.

astrid

Those places where clothes have stayed the same price the last few years sell junk. If their product is still quality, than it's worth it. These days, everything is going up. The things made well, without all the shortcuts taken by most businesses to cut costs, will cost more.

It drives me crazy that I can't find anything well made anymore!! If you can, watch for sales. You will still pay more for anything well crafted.

It sucks, but that is the way things seem to be these last several years.

Cotton has risen in price. Land's End, and other stores, have begun to sell blends which wear quickly and are still expensive.

This is very interesting. I've noticed that my jeans have been wearing out more quickly recently no matter what the particular label. Anybody still sell more durable jeans? I hate jeans shopping so much that I'd pay a higher price initially if if means I can keep them longer...

I think they're caught in a vicious circle: people like me will only shop LE on deep discount because of the poorer quality, which means that they are catering more to people who only shop deep discounts, which means the quality falls still more. I miss the days when the best deals were solely overstocks and seconds.

Here's one small tip I learned about Land's End recently. If you go to the Sears store and they don't have exactly what you want (need a different size/color/etc), you can order it from a computer at the store and get it shipped free to your home. I wanted a long-sleeved LE polo that I had seen on sale online and went to Sears to see if they had any there. I asked an associate and they said they don't carry them in the store. She helped me order it online where I got the online sale price and free shipping. At home I would only have gotten the sale price.

This is very interesting. I've noticed that my jeans have been wearing out more quickly recently no matter what the particular label. Anybody still sell more durable jeans? I hate jeans shopping so much that I'd pay a higher price initially if if means I can keep them longer...

You might check the jeans at www.llbean.com ...they seem to hold up rather well.

Yes, we're moving on. The last few polo shirts that I bought from them barely lasted six months, and DH returned a coat (the zipper failed in the first few weeks), got another one (the zipper failed after about six months), and then we returned that one and wrote a letter. They sent a gift card back that covered 3/4 of the price of the coat, and we bought several pairs of snow boots. I can't think of anything else that we're going to buy from them anytime soon. The quality is just ***SO*** much less than it used to be.

In contrast, I had coupons and bought several polo shirts and a coat for DH from L.L. Bean in the fall that look almost new. The seams are better and the fabric is much thicker. I guess that will be our new mail order choice. They're a little more pricey, but if you wait for sales and use coupons it is within the range that we were paying at Land's End.

And don't get me started on J.C. Penney. I used to buy a lot from them too. Most of DH's work outfits came from them. Never again. Everything I've bought from them lately was of poor quality and/or wore out quickly. Even jeans from them aren't what they once were. They always had my tall pants, and now I'm mostly wearing nurse's scrubs because I can't find basic tall pants that are around $20-25 anywhere else.

They also started using a new clothing supplier. Since DH is tall and skinny, I used to buy chinos from there all the time. Four years ago, I ordered from LE and it was obvious the fabric and sewing were not the same quality. I called customer service and the rep was very nice, but I let them know I wasn't happy with the product.

Say it isn't so! I buy all of Dd's clothes there, down to the socks and shoes. We did have a tough time for Christmas. Either the dress was see-through (ivory) or the inside lining bothered DD, so no new dress for winter. I do love their guaranteed returns-just the concept alone seems reassuring, though I don't see myself wearing a coat for 3 years and suddenly returning it.

I stopped buying from them. Their quality stinks. I bought several shirts last summer and by the end of summer they were horrible looking. Tiny holes after a few washings, elastics worn out, hems coming undone, pilling of fabric, colors faded and I'm not hard on clothing. I wash gently and dry gently...

Also since the big merger with KMart, I've sworn off Sears and the lot of them. I recently had to return something to Sears and it was THE Biggest Hassle I have ever had. It was a computer/sales clerk/Customer Service nightmare. I actually had to return home with my item that I tried to return, call their customer service department and then go back with the item to return it.

There are also some other issues I've had with Sears that they would not take ownership of recently since the switch and so I'm done. There are much better places to shop and so I'll take my business elsewhere.

I find the quality if really variable. I have some good non-iron shirts that I use for work: I got them on deep discount recently. I also bought a great down coat that comes down to my boots and keeps me snug in winter.

On the other hand, I've had cardigans that I was really glad to have paid very little for as they were very thin.

Laura

Moderators buy clothes too!!!

Well that's good to know. I really didn't want to picture naked moderators deleting posts and banning people. :rofl:

Sears has been going downhill for a very long time. KMart stores are closing all over the place. It's sad that something with the (former?) reputation of Land's End is caught up in that.

You might check the jeans at www.llbean.com ...they seem to hold up rather well.

I agree. Just go to LL Bean. It's just as expensive, but the quality is still there. I need to replace my LE all-weather mocs, but the reviews for the new ones are so disappointing that I'll just purchase from LL Bean instead.

Even jeans from them aren't what they once were. They always had my tall pants, and now I'm mostly wearing nurse's scrubs because I can't find basic tall pants that are around $20-25 anywhere else.

$20- $25 for tall pants may be an unrealistic expectation in this millenium.

Well that's good to know. I really didn't want to picture naked moderators deleting posts and banning people. :rofl:

Everybody needs a hobby. Please don't judge.

:D

Cotton has risen in price. Land's End, and other stores, have begun to sell blends which wear quickly and are still expensive.

Or they're still all cotton but are thinner. I used to love the tees and dresses from LE, especially for my DD, who tends to be hard on clothes; they were a thick interlock. Now they're a thin jersey, and they still cost a lot, even on sale.

LL Bean is better than LE but not as good as it used to be. DH has several LL Bean shirts from the 90s which show no wear. The ones he bought in the last 5 years all have frayed collars already. All the frayed ones were made in China and the older ones were made in the U.S.

I got at least 40% off, plus free shipping on everything I've ordered from them this year. Google "Land's End coupon code".

Oh, I NEVER pay full price, and RARELY pay shipping. But I think their prices and quality have traveled in opposite directions since about 2009.

astrid

Can anyone tell me if LL Bean's plus size for women is actually plus size? I have held off ordering from them because I wasn't sure, and LE has definitely disappointed lately. Big difference in quality. Any other place to shop from that is similar to LE style? My daughters need clothes and they are more LE kinda gals ;-)

LL Bean is better than LE but not as good as it used to be. DH has several LL Bean shirts from the 90s which show no wear. The ones he bought in the last 5 years all have frayed collars already. All the frayed ones were made in China and the older ones were made in the U.S.

This is VERY disappointing to read.... this whole thread is, really. Though I should say I'm not surprised. :glare: I've purchased a few items from LE over past three years or so (snow boots, shoes, and girls' tights, that I can recall), and I did notice the quality wasn't nearly as good as I expected. I didn't know why, though.

Has anyone purchased from Eddie Bauer recently? I haven't for a long time, but what I have from there is still really nice. How are they doing nowadays?

Can anyone tell me if LL Bean's plus size for women is actually plus size? I have held off ordering from them because I wasn't sure, and LE has definitely disappointed lately. Big difference in quality. Any other place to shop from that is similar to LE style? My daughters need clothes and they are more LE kinda gals ;-)

Yes, from what I've seen in the Freeport store.

LLBean also has a lifetime guarantee. If you're not happy with something, feel it wears out too quickly, etc, return it. They will repair or replace just about anything*, not matter how long you've had it.

* this does not apply to non-LLBean brands, like watches they sell. Those are subject to the manufacturer warranty.

Interesting! The boys both have coats from LE that have held up wonderfully! This is their 3rd year wearing them (they both can still easily fit into the size 5/6) and I'm planning on buying them new coats at the end of the season.

I'm only a relatively recent LE shopper - and I don't really buy regular clothes there, to speak of. But I wasn't aware they were ever not owned by the same people who own Sears and KMart! :lol: But I've never had any complaints about any of the stuff I've gotten from them...

But that's me. I couldn't see myself switching to something like LLBean because I've never really liked their stuff - just not our style at all. YMMV. :)

Those places where clothes have stayed the same price the last few years sell junk. If their product is still quality, than it's worth it. These days, everything is going up. The things made well, without all the shortcuts taken by most businesses to cut costs, will cost more.

It drives me crazy that I can't find anything well made anymore!! If you can, watch for sales. You will still pay more for anything well crafted.

It sucks, but that is the way things seem to be these last several years.

This explains a lot. Macys used to be an upscale store where I could only afford to shop for extra nice work or special occasion clothes. Now their clothes are just average. Their jr. dept clothes in particular are very cheaply made, and most of them are pretty trashy looking to boot. My dd18 was ranting yesterday about not being able to find decent clothes, and I told her it seems that you have to go to Dillards, Nordstroms, or Saks for classy looking clothes now. We have a pretty tight budget for clothes, so she's having a tough time balancing quality vs. quantity. I stopped shopping at Sears and Penneys years ago; the last few things we bought at Penneys didn't hold up well at all.

I've been very disappointed in Lands End this year and have hardly bought anything whereas last year I bought a ton. Their selection stinks (hardly anything in boys this year), and it looks like they're trying to maybe sell more trendy clothes rather than the classics I love. And my favorite polar fleece shirt was not sold this year at all, not in any style at all. I don't understand that -- in past years, the stretch polar fleece shirt has often been sold out long before Christmas, at least in most colors. I wish I had bought more last year. I guess I need to check Ebay. I've also noticed that the free shipping this year is mostly tied to a 50 dollar purchase -- in the past, they often had shipping specials for less. Part of that is probably the economy, though. I rarely buy from anyone when I have to pay shipping -- free shipping is my biggest draw. LL Bean always has free shipping on any item, and this year LL Bean has been largely comparable to Lands End in price.

Their jr. dept clothes in particular are very cheaply made, and most of them are pretty trashy looking to boot.

I noticed that when we were shopping at Kohl's the other day, looking for some tops for my 10yo DD. The children's section (of which she's at the top of the range) had trendy and trashy stuff, not nice, basic tees. The junior section had a slightly better selection, but the tees were so thin. We ended up going over the adult section and buying nice tees for her there in an extra small. I guess maybe they make the junior stuff thinner and thus cheaper because tweens/teens want to change their minds frequently, but ugh.

One of the reasons that I have started sewing again is because of the general decline of clothing on the US market. I have decided that I would prefer to have fewer well made things that a closet full of cheap stuff that does not hold up well after a few spins in the wash.

That said, I have purchased some things from J.Jill over the last year or two that are well made including pants that fit properly. (Jeans come in several rises and leg styles for different tastes and bodies.) Their clothing is not cheap though. The sale rack usually has some thicker knit tops--often Peruvian cottons.

I have worn Lands End bathing suits forever. I would actually go to the mall (faint now) to try on suits in the Lands End section of Sears, a distinct advantage of just ordering something from a catalog. Buying a swim suit is one of my least favorite activities but I'll need to do it for next summer. Ugh..

Donna A. We get clothes and bedding from Eddie b. I got the best wool socks ever from them this holiday. All my jeans are from EB and they are great quality. The quilts are awesome! We haven't gotten any kids clothes there recently. For office wear we go to Coldwater Creek. Speaking of quality clothing, one of my girls is tiny skinny and the other has a more robust outline. For my larger than average girl, does anyone have quality suggestions? She is mostly in dresses or boys husky size 8 jeans right now because I can't find girls pants that run large or have plus sizes that are good quality. Any ideas?

I find the quality if really variable. I have some good non-iron shirts that I use for work: I got them on deep discount recently. I also bought a great down coat that comes down to my boots and keeps me snug in winter.

On the other hand, I've had cardigans that I was really glad to have paid very little for as they were very thin.

Laura

I agree. Even amidst my frustration at their tissue-thin shirts and zero-quality swimsuits, I've been pleasantly surprised at how the girls' playdresses and shoes have held up so well. I bought new kids' coats and gloves from LE this year, and I'm satisfied with both the quality and the price. But the women's clothes have been terribly disappointing :( And I too was shocked to see that they have no women's jeans for sale this year!

I think Sears is on its way out too. We bought a few things there this year and had problem after problem with the whole process, both online and off. Then again, I booked a service appointment for our old dryer and was thrilled at how easy that process was and how well the (admittedly curmudgeonly) subcontractor handled the issue and treated me.

It's so sad when household names run themselves into the ground. I agree with Nmoira that it's a vicious cycle, though, and I think that quality in general is declining everywhere these days. I wish I could sew and that fabric I liked was available around here. I don't even know where I'd start. Probably with decent yoga pants for DD10!

Donna A. We get clothes and bedding from Eddie b. I got the best wool socks ever from them this holiday. All my jeans are from EB and they are great quality. The quilts are awesome! We haven't gotten any kids clothes there recently. For office wear we go to Coldwater Creek. Speaking of quality clothing, one of my girls is tiny skinny and the other has a more robust outline. For my larger than average girl, does anyone have quality suggestions? She is mostly in dresses or boys husky size 8 jeans right now because I can't find girls pants that run large or have plus sizes that are good quality. Any ideas?

I am finding that I have to hunt and peck for clothes that fit and are good quality for my robust and unusually tall-for-their-age girls. We had some luck with Old Navy and Justice plus-size denim this past year, and Lands End regular (fairly roomy) yoga pants. Oldest DD has some Justice yoga pants that I'm satisfied with, but they are hand-me-downs from a few years ago, so it's possible the quality is no longer the same. Honestly, what I really end up doing is buying a ton online in different sizes and styles, making them try everything on, keeping only what fits and is good quality and returning what doesn't work, and then buying more of the good items in other colors!

My two also strongly prefer playdresses and leggings for ease and comfort though.

• 2 weeks later...

Lands End was bought by Sears.

Moderators buy clothes too!!!

And they also own K-Mart. 'Nuf said.

ETA: I usually buy the girls' bathing suits there because their slim is the only one that fits DD modestly. Her legs are so skinny that with most, she might as well be wearing boxer shorts. For the amount of time that they wear those, I've been satisfied.