Menu

And the big hit under the tree was...

nmoira

Me: The first season of Homeland.

Stepkids: MacBooks.

Nathan: Books. He's well into his second of the day.

James: Dinosaur Lego and his first real tool set.

Molly: Gelarti, painting supplies and her new art table. She's already decided to be the "art teacher" this semester. :tongue_smilie:

Tomorrow, James and I will start our Christmas project of turning the basement into a floor hockey rink. That should be a pretty big hit as well.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The toddlers love the plastic vegetable set that attaches the pieces together with velcro so you can "cut" them apart.

Two of the olders are super happy with their Webkinz account deluxe memberships.

Oldest is currently playing out of the "100 Greatest Songs of Rock and Roll" book.

Erica in OR

10yo dd - sing stand karaoke machine with extra microphone and disco ball that she uses with her ipod touch

8yo ds - iPod touch 4th generation 8 gig with otterbox

6yo ds - Playmobil animals

4yo dd - wooden kitchen with Ikea's food and pans

2yo ds - wooden kitchen with Ikea's food and pans

They all get one wow gift and some stocking stuffers, so I'm glad they all were wowed by their wow gifts.

For the girls it was their dance jackets, I am so greatful the dance teacher let me buy them even though I can not pay them off for 2 more months.

The boys the biggest hit wasn't from me, my folks bought each kid a portable dvd play (each). the boys love those best out of all their gifts.

My 9 yo loves his bow and arrow set; my 12 yo has not taken off her Uggs all day; and while this may not have thrilled her as much, I am thrilled that the pair of jeans I ordered for my 15 yo off of some random website fit her perfectly. That is not easy to do--she's a muscular gymnast, with the thighs to show for it (most jeans gap majorly at the waist), but these are now her best-fitting pair of jeans.

My super hard to buy for dad loved the duck hunting vest I gave him. He does not duck hunt, but he everything-else hunts, and he famously never wears jackets, so I figured a vest would be great for him on frosty mornings. He wore it home (after my brother tried to persuade him to regift it to him) and noted the excellent weight, fabric, cool magnetic pocket, perfect fit--really gushed about it. My dad is very generous, and I am thrilled to be able to pick out something good for him once in a while.

Terri

Engino Solar Power Pro Duo

I think the plan is to evolve a stuffed-animal loving girl into a STEM superstar. Something like that.

But I still got her an American Girl Sewing Kit so that she can learn to sew clothes for her stuffed animals, lots of colorful duct tape to make unimaginable creations from a book that has yet to be in stock, Da Vinci catapult to destroy the peg people, Perplexo Epic to learn defeat, and Penguins on Ice to feed her pentamino obsession.

Ds5 liked his monster fighter legos. He got 2 little sets and a few individual minifigs. He also loves his furby. Ds10 liked everything I think. I made him a Don't Pnic towel which he thought was way cool. He really likes his new game Risk.

Air Hogs Rocket Launcher :hurray: Which was actually a hint, made to my mom and sent to my middle boy (age 4). Everyone played with it, including Dad, who discovered that when he put it at the base of the stairs and stomped, the rocket would fly up and bounce off the ceiling! Even the mini-toddler figured out how to use it! Can't wait to try it outside.

DD5: a kitten from two weeks ago. She's ridiculously pleased with anything we get her, but she squealed when she opened a bracelet kit and glittery watercolors.

DD14: single serve blender/food processor

Me: Le Petit Prince Moleskine 2013 planner

DH: fleece sheets (which I should have washed and put on the bed tonight because it's finally cold)

DS(11): Air Hogs remote control helicopter with battle thing here (I paid about half what it's listed at!) & Lego Dino set

DS(9): Dino Lego set

DS(7): Dino Lego set

DD(4): Rainbow Teddy Bear here (A friend sent me a link to this website with products made by at-risk women around the world and my dd saw this bear when I was browsing the website and she talked about it everyday for a couple weeks.)

DD(2): Plastic grocery cart

We also got an xbox kinect as a gift from the grandparents combined and they really like that.

DS2 - Black & Decker play workbench set. He kept coming back to it all day. :)

DS13 - Ipod touch. 'Nuff said.

Dh - Fleece pants that actually FIT his spider-long legs.

Me - A leatherbound copy of To Kill A Mockingbird. To say I almost lost it would be an understatement. I sat there blubbering like a baby staring at the box for a while.

1dd - hogfather dvd

3ds - nerf bullets, magic school bus dvd set (thanks to whomever mentioned it was on sale on amazon) and the one thing he asked santa for: a new model of the missouri. (amazingly, because he figured out what was in it, he opened it last. he wanted to "save" it.)

me: a heartfelt letter of appreciation from 1ds. It brought me to tears.

For DD, the hit was a sewing machine. She cried when she opened it then spent the day going through about half of The Best of Sewing Machine Fun for Kids book angelmama suggested, photocoping pages to practice over and over until she got each just right and by evening had sewn a little purse.

For DS15, it was a How to Make a Acoustic Guitar book.

DS17's present wasn't exactly under the tree...we paid for the repairs needed to make his car, which had been sitting for a few years, road-worthy and his 1st year of insurance. Once he has a job after wrestling season, he'll be responsible for the thing.

The Wii U. Our Wii's have just plain worn out from use. I'm even impressed at the things this console can do. I can change channels with the control pad, the kids can play a game on the pad while we watch TV, they can video chat with friends (they spent about an hour playing video game trivia with a friend) and the graphics are great.

dd8 - Lego beach house - it's her first Lego set and she loved having everyone help her build it.

dd12 - probably her new cello but she had a fever of 102 so she was happier about warm broth than presents

ds22 - a speed cube with book on how to solve it and a stainless steel wallet seem to be the two best

dh - a slackline kit

me - probably my full-length wool cloak -

my mom - the photo book my brother made her

Eighty bajillion Lego sets, including the totally-not-expected-AT-ALL Lego Millenium Falcon (because Mama stalked amazon until the price was reasonable). That got the "I can't believe it" rubbing eyes fabulous dramatic response that we can always count on 10yo DD to do. ;) DS1 got a winter coat, and even though it was a necessary item, he was thrilled and very excited to see it. MIL was quite amused by that.

17mo baby DS3 is in love with the little pull-toy puppy. He's been taking it for walks around my kitchen island, petting it, woofing at it, and holding a bowl up to its mouth to feed it. He also got a bunch of new board books and has had a great time, flipping through those (I think he's amused because they never open to the same page twice, so it's always something new). He also got an adorable little turtle that rolls and giggles when you push a button on the top, and that's been a big hit with him too; he giggles back at it. Oh, and let's not forget the tissue paper to rip.

Of course, none of that compares to the great gift -- SNOW!

Lego Ninjago (the set with Pythor), PINK scientific calculator, pandora-type bracelet with frog and snake charms.

Me-Keurig Mini

DH-several board/table games, plus we're going out today to get a couple of tools on his wish list (having purchased the wrong thing in the past, I now know to simply give him permission ;))

I'm late, but...

DH: Doctor Who 2013 Annual

Me: As Time Goes By complete dvd set, starring Judy Dench

Dd20: vanity plate and holder decorated with cats for the front of her car

Ds16: says he has no favorite but from observing him, he smiled the most at 2 Lego Mini-figs that he had to build (he's easy to please I guess)

Dd14: Disappearing Tardis Mug and Doctor Who socks

DH: Perplexus Epic and the 3 board games I got him

Me: My new wireless headset for gaming, this thing rocks! And the cool dice DH got me.

DS1: Skylanders Giants (his Hanukkah present) and the Imaginex Batman Jail

DD: Her dress up fairy outfit with wings and her magic wand.

DS2: Imaginext Castle and Knights and all his big brother and sister's toys.

For my 8 year old son, a Penny Skateboard "Rasta" with a set of nice pads and a Protec helmet. These Australian injection molded boards are very reminiscent of the old boards from the 70s, but have much better bearings, trucks, and wheels.

This thing is a blast!

Bill

I was debating about getting a Penny skateboard for Dd since it was on her list, but thought it might be better for next year when she is 8. Those are expensive but it sounds like it rides better than a $30 one.

I was debating about getting a Penny skateboard for Dd since it was on her list, but thought it might be better for next year when she is 8. Those are expensive but it sounds like it rides better than a $30 one.

I saw a "knock-off" of the Penny at Big 5 (about $30) and the components were really poor. I think if a child is going to go hurdling off on a board it's a good idea to have one with good parts. I'm very impressed with the Penny.

Bill

DS1 headphones

DS2 money

DS3 everything he got

DD Loves AG doll, dollhouse, baby doll stuff and pink scooter and everything else.

DH really liked his honda motorcycle poster for his garage. It has various models of Honda motorycles through the years.