Menu

What do you keep your thermostat set to? (Heat)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 seems a bit low, but maybe 60. Warm pajamas and a winter blanket would work fine.

I dont have a thermostat. My heater is numbered 1-9. During the day it's usually around 3-4, but first thing in the morning i put it on about 6. At night i drop it between 1-2 and it rarely kicks on at night. We have winter and summer pajamas and different blankets, sometimes even 2 blankets.

I know my house is a lot cooler than it would be if i had a normal thermostat, or a way to program the heater.

69 or 70.

Never lower.

I grew up in a house that was 64 degrees all winter long. I always said it was so cold in my house you could hang meat inside and it would stay fresh.

I walked around in a coat for months on end and went to sleep bundled up like a homeless women.

People would look strangely at my brother who always answered the door wrapped in a blanket.

My parents thought it was perfect and they even slept with a window open. :confused:

When I go to visit my mother she raises the heat several degrees before I get there. :001_smile:

If I use the central heat, it stays around 68-70. Our heat went out year before last during a major cold snap (teens) and I discovered that it was warmer and cheaper to use the one wall heater (leftover from pre-central heat days) and small space heaters in the bedrooms. So now I really don't use the cent. heat much.

I now have a programmable thermostat, and I have to say, I'm quite fond of it. It magically sets itself! So it can start warming up the house before you get out of bed. I don't think they're very expensive and typically do reduce energy costs. Not as much as drastically lowering your thermostat setting, obviously, but it's an idea, anyhow.

We start the heating season with it set at 67, but by the end of winter, it's usually 70, maybe 71 for normal everyday. I am one of those people who are perpetually cold from October until May. We also have the programmable thermostat, so when we're out of the house in the evenings, we turn it down to 64 while we're out. Overnights we have it at 66. As it is, I already sleep in fleece PJ's with many layers of blankets, a comforter, and two afghans on top of that. I usually have to sleep with the blankets pulled up over my ears to keep warm.

DH, on the other hand, would love to have it set at 64 or lower all the time.

65 during the day, 70 at night. Yes, lower during the day, higher at night.

During the day we can put on extra clothes and be busy around the house. There will be solar heat from the sun.

At night, even if we put on extra clothes and bedding, we're just not going to be as warm as we are during the day when we put on extra clothes and are busy. And no sun. We'll start out in the morning with a decent temperature in the house; in the evening, the heater won't have to work so hard to bring the temperature up to 70 because the house itself is warmer because of the solar heat gain.

At night (11pm), the downstairs goes down to 60. During the day, it's set at 67. The sun warms the downstairs up quickly in the am so the heat doesn't tend to run too long unless it is really cold. Evening, it's at 70, to appease dh.

The upstairs is set at 66 at night, 68 during the day/evening.

65 during the day and 59 overnight.

We also have original builder grade windows which are almost 30 years old and leak like a sieve. So it gets cold fast in this house. We all have plenty of blankets, warm clothes/pajamas and slippers so we survive. I lived for many years in a house with a broken furnace. The only sources of heat we had were a kerosene heater and small plug in heaters for the bedrooms. I guess I just grew accustomed to being cold in the winter. :001_smile:

I don't remember the source but we once read or heard that there should be no more than a 6 degree temp change from morning to night. You use more energy and things are less efficient if your furnace/heat pump has to make any great degree of difference. I believe the difference for the ac is 12 degrees. I guess things cool more efficiently and quickly than they heat.

13 degrees centigrade when we are awake (55 degrees fahrenheit). Off at night.

We have a wood-burning stove that we use to warm the public rooms above 13 degrees when we are at home. The bedrooms stay cool. We all use electric blankets to take the chill off our beds before we get in.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I keep it at 70 all day long. I would love to have it lower and DH would love it higher. My parents used to keep it so cold that we would wear hats, gloves, & coats in the house. It was so cold that when you would open the bathroom door after showering the smoke alarm in the hallway would go off. :glare:

We have ours off at night and I just turn it on when we need it duing the day which tends to be mid afternoon.The heater core leaks heat a bit and stops the house plummeting to outside temperatures. I personally wear a sweater or a cardigan all the time and slippers all the time at home. My kids never see to get cold during the day. We have hot water bottles at night and in the evening if we are watching tv or something sedentry.

it's at 70 right now for daytime. 68 at night. I noticed the humidity is low today and the fan is constantly running which is making the bedrooms 4 degrees hotter than normal but not affecting the living room at all. :glare:

I would like to be 67 at night and 70 in the day but some days feel colder and I do adjust when we need it.

My dh wants to set our thermostat to 55 at night to try to save money on our heating costs. I'm a little concerned about it being that cold for the kids. What do you all think?

My dh grew up in a house with unheated bedrooms--in New England. It was a small house; more like an apartment really. All the bedrooms were lined up on one side of the apartment and the doors were kept shut when not in use. Right before bedtime the doors were opened to warm the rooms up a bit. Yeah, you could see your breath in those rooms! They did use wool blankets on the beds--more than one on each. The living area was kept to 68F.

*I* can't handle the cold so we keep the thermo at 67-69F even at night. My dc aren't bothered if it's colder while they're sleeping. They can handle cooler temps better than I can.

I think your dc will be fine. Just make sure they have enough blankets to be comfortable.

We keep ours at 65 during the day, 62 at night. On rare occasions, we bump the daytime heat up a few degrees. At night, we all wear PJs and have multiple blankets. Nice quality down comforters on top of everything else keep us warm and toasty no matter how chill the rooms are.

Mine's at 64 right now. I have a light jacket on, and it's comfortable. I think we had it at 62 last night. I have to ease into winter, so that's the lowest it's been. 64 during the day is good for me, and I'd like to get down to 60 at night, but we have a baby coming in January, so I'm not sure how that will work. My oldest was sleeping with the window open until it started getting under 45 or so at night, so I'm not too worried about him, anyway.

Ok, I'm curious to those who keep it in the low 60s during the winter, your winters can't be that bad...right? Ugh, I think I'd die. It gets so bitterly cold and that literally makes me feel angry when I'm so cold.

DH would live in a meat locker if he could. My feet get so cold when it's below 60 they turn colors. I couldn't imagine if I lived in a place that was even colder.

Ok, I'm curious to those who keep it in the low 60s during the winter, your winters can't be that bad...right? Ugh, I think I'd die. It gets so bitterly cold and that literally makes me feel angry when I'm so cold.

We are in Ohio. It gets bitter cold here but we cope. I just can't handle the electric bill if we set the temp any higher. If we had better windows I would probably drop the temp even more. If you touch one of our windows in winter you are likely to get frostbite. :001_smile:

70, day or night. Actually, we sometimes turn it up at night, because it is colder outside and we aren't moving around. Our bedroom is the coldest room in the house, and at night, with the thermostat (downstairs) set at 70, our room is 65/66, so we have an electric heater we use at night (mostly because of the baby).

I don't agree with turning the heat down at night, especially with small kids who often uncover themselves. Even if I am buried under blankets, I am breathing the cold air and it makes my throat sore. I just don't think it's healthy.

68 all winter. DH has a cow if anyone turns it up. My sister stayed with us for 6 weeks and turned the heater up in the basement to 80 and I have never seen him so mad! (she keeps her house 80--I can't stand it).

If you are cold, put on a blanket, they are on every couch...that is DH's motto.

Well, it seems the average is in the low 60's at night. I actually don't worry too much about the older dc but ds6 throws his covers off all the time and dd3 has asthma and I'm not sure how that would affect her. I know that she can not be outside for any length of time when the weather is cold or she starts wheezing. Perhaps a space heater for her room? Would that be more cost effective than heating the whole upstairs?

We've been keeping ours at 74! I see that is a bit excessive :lol:

We go from 72-74 depending. You aren't alone. I hate being cold and won't let my kids get cold. I had no idea people toughed it out and wore coats and blankets in the house. To me it's like enough food... a basic mom instinct to keep the kids fed and warm.

Maybe we are just more apt to get cold. Anything below about 68 and I would be miserable the whole time. Nope.

We *have* to keep ours at 72 or higher to not go numb. Our old century home has terrible insulation and even after putting plastic over most windows and using insulating curtains, it's still VERY cold. I hate it. (We're in NE Ohio.)

Also, when we keep it at 74 or so, that only means that the area right near the thermostat is 74! And it happens to be located at the kitchen where it is normally the warmest. We have baseboard electric heaters in some rooms and radiators in every room but the kitchen. We've tested it and can have the thermostat say it's 74 and the living room 25-30 feet away where we all hang out be at 62--even with 8 bodies in the room.

At night it goes down to 67. During the day it's between 68 - 72. I refuse to be cold because my mom shut the heat OFF at night growing up and you could literally see your breath in my house. In the morning my sister and I ran for the one and only good working heat register to sit in front of it and wait for it to start blowing. Even then we couldn't warm up.

We have ours off at the moment. We woke up to 55 in the house this morning. The sun is out though and it's getting warmer in here. Everyone has multiple blankets on their beds and keeps warm at night. During the day we layer and move around a lot. Last year we kept it at 65 day and 60 at night and our electric bill was $300/month. I'm trying to avoid that as long as possible this year.

We go from 72-74 depending. You aren't alone. I hate being cold and won't let my kids get cold. I had no idea people toughed it out and wore coats and blankets in the house. To me it's like enough food... a basic mom instinct to keep the kids fed and warm.

Maybe we are just more apt to get cold. Anything below about 68 and I would be miserable the whole time. Nope.

Yep we are cold but for some people it's a choice between enough food or more heat, than you just learn to deal with being cold. In the summer I keep the house at 78 and I still wear socks and long sleeve shirts because I"m cold. Right now it's set to 65. I wear socks, fleece lined slippers 2-3 long sleeved shirts/sheatshirts, wrap myself in a fleece blanket whenever I'm sitting down and drink hot beverages all day long. I'm still cold but that's just the way it is.

To heat the house up to 68 will cost us about another $200 a month (once the snow starts it would be less right now). I'd still be cold at 68 and I'd be $200 poorer every month. The kids just carry their blankets with them wherever they decide to do school for the day. I miss my parents house with a wood burning furnace. It was always toasty in the basement even if it was cold upstairs.

In 2010 we lived in a rental house that had no insulation. We couldn't get our house warmer than 55. It was MISERABLE..lol. My twins and I would all freeze at night. My dh and oldest daughter, however, wouldn't bat an eye. (my oldest dd sleeps in her attic room that has NO heat, by her own choice :glare: You could hang meat in there)

My heat is set on 69 right now. It is a little cooler than comfortable, but easy enough to warm up with a sweater or blanket.