Menu

An apology and an announcement

Dear WTM friends,

I would like to thank everyone for continuing to be nice to me (here, IRL, and on FB) through these last few months. I have whined, fought, complained, cried, despaired, and bellyached about homeschooling. I have thought I shouldn't have to do it. I have been sure it will only end in failure. I have fretted about my sleep, my fitness, my blood pressure, and my marriage. Homeschooling these four children, plus my tutored student, through an era of financial problems and health problems, has been just...hellacious...and so has my attitude.

The apology: I am sorry. I'm sorry for the whining. I'm sorry for discouraging newbies. I'm sorry for giving every indication that I was gonna go nuts or give up. I believe in being real but there are some attitudes that should be left home in the morning and I brought them here anyway, until even I was sick of me and then I mostly stopped posting. I am sorry.

The announcement: All five of my students have completed their work well for two weeks running, and there has just been a shift in attitude that is wonderful to see. I think it's safe to say we've finally found our feet. Two high schoolers, a remedial 16yo student who is succeeding, a 6th grader and a 2nd grader...everybody is FINE. They're fine, I'm fine, DH is fine.

I always tell the new homeschooling parents that the magic will happen sometime in the first 6 weeks or so, that they will find their feet even if the start has been really rocky. I didn't think it would happen for me this year. I thought this would be the year I failed.

For the first time this year, the clouds have cleared. I now believe that we will all succeed this year. We will make it. We can. The children are working so hard that they have finally inspired me, and I'm ready to be a better teacher and mentor. I'm back in the game. YES WE CAN.

Thanks for listening,

Love,

Tibbie

For the first time this year, the clouds have cleared. I now believe that we will all succeed this year. We will make it. We can. The children are working so hard that they have finally inspired me, and I'm ready to be a better teacher and mentor. I'm back in the game. YES WE CAN.

Thanks for listening,

Love,

Tibbie

:cheers2: I knew you could do it :)

Dear WTM friends,

I would like to thank everyone for continuing to be nice to me (here, IRL, and on FB) through these last few months. I have whined, fought, complained, cried, despaired, and bellyached about homeschooling. I have thought I shouldn't have to do it. I have been sure it will only end in failure. I have fretted about my sleep, my fitness, my blood pressure, and my marriage. Homeschooling these four children, plus my tutored student, through an era of financial problems and health problems, has been just...hellacious...and so has my attitude.

The apology: I am sorry. I'm sorry for the whining. I'm sorry for discouraging newbies. I'm sorry for giving every indication that I was gonna go nuts or give up. I believe in being real but there are some attitudes that should be left home in the morning and I brought them here anyway, until even I was sick of me and then I mostly stopped posting. I am sorry.

The announcement: All five of my students have completed their work well for two weeks running, and there has just been a shift in attitude that is wonderful to see. I think it's safe to say we've finally found our feet. Two high schoolers, a remedial 16yo student who is succeeding, a 6th grader and a 2nd grader...everybody is FINE. They're fine, I'm fine, DH is fine.

I always tell the new homeschooling parents that the magic will happen sometime in the first 6 weeks or so, that they will find their feet even if the start has been really rocky. I didn't think it would happen for me this year. I thought this would be the year I failed.

Thanks for listening,

Love,

Tibbie

:) Whoo Hoo!!!

Grace to you.

You're awesome. A little whining does not discount the fact that you're awesome.

You stuck with it. You persevered.

So what if you had to work through a few things? I'm glad we got to be part of the process and I'm glad you stayed the course.

It's more encouraging for me to see someone struggle and succeed rather than appear to sail through life with no issues.

I'm glad things are looking up for you.

That's great to hear, Tibbie!

I'm sorry things were so rough. Please know that even though you felt in your head you were complaining, negative, and whining, I don't see you that way and I don't think you came across that way here. We all come here for help when we need it and that's the wonderful thing about this place.

:party: :001_wub: :D

Bravo Tibbie! Don't worry about complaining and whining. You, of all people, as a source of longstanding, calm and cool reason on the board has earned a right to whine now and again! We all have rough periods to work though. Glad things are looking up at your end of the world! :grouphug: :001_smile:

Just jumping on the Tibbie-love bandwagon.

Look, homeschooling is hard. It just is. I know I have to be just a little bit insane to keep on doing this.

Most people here are incredibly supportive. We've been there. We have all had bad days/weeks/months/years. We all have times we just want to either ship the little people of to school or ship ourselves off to the insane asylum. We have a right to whine and complain (which I don't think you were doing) because homeschooling is hard. It's ok to admit that you are having a hard time. I get so much comfort (not in an evil way) when I read about other people's struggles. It's nice to know that all homeschooling families do not resemble those over-the-top blogs and magazine articles. It is real. It is hard. Your feelings are valid.

And a HUGE woohoo for turning the corner!!! Good for you!

I needed this. I've been homeschooling now for a little over a year and it isn't going fantastic... yet. Lol. I need to take brick and mortar school off the table for at least the next couple of years - because in the back of my mind I keep thinking "you could always go back". That isn't working for us :glare:.

You give me hope that this can work. Thanks :D.

Dear WTM friends,

Thanks for listening,

Love,

Tibbie

You know, every.single.time I read one of your posts, no matter what the topic, I want to start a new thread titled "Tibbie Dunbar for President" and this time is no different.

Honestly, I really do value your words so highly, even though I've never said so out loud. Yes, you can, and yes well all can -- and the reason *why* we can is because of posts like yours. You are an inspiration.

!!!!!!!!!!! TIBBIE DUNBAR FOR PRESIDENT !!!!!!!!!!

I love hearing posts like this.

Thank you for sharing your struggles and success!

:iagree:

As a woman who knows we are still on the front half of this journey, hearing someone who has been at this longer be real about the good and the bad is more valuable than platitudes and promises of rainbow spewing unicorns.

And :party::party: that the clouds have cleared!

:grouphug:I always find your posts worth reading and this one is very inspiring this morning. (I wanted to pull up the covers and stay in bed.) It's refreshing to hear others share their imperfect homeschool journey and experiences.

Anyway, I'm thrilled you worked through the difficult season and found your grove again:001_smile:.

You have absolutely no need to apologize. You truly haven't done anything wrong. :grouphug:

Don't you dare apologize!!!! ;) Well, okay if you feel you must, but sometimes just knowing I was not alone in my discouragements became and encouragement in itself. This year looks nothing like I thought it would, but it is working for us and for that I am grateful.

I cannot tell you how much I have appreciated the candidness and experience I have gained from rubbing minds and hearts, with you and many others in these rough places!

I am glad you have found your feet though. :D:grouphug:

I am glad you are feeling more positive, but you have nothing to be sorry for. Most of us have ups and downs and most of us share them. This is a great place to do that and I love the support here, through good times and bad!

:iagree:

I always feel better when I read about other people's difficulties with homeschooling, FWIW. Right now, I'm only homeschooling 1, in first grade- we haven't even started school for the year yet and I already feel like a failure! :lol:

I'm glad it's going better for you, I've missed your posts.

I believe in being real but there are some attitudes that should be left home in the morning and I brought them here anyway, until even I was sick of me and then I mostly stopped posting. I am sorry.

I'm glad things have turned the corner for you. Isn't this where we're supposed to whine, if the need arises? [i need to whine sometimes, ya know?]