Menu

Poll: Cami by itself = shirt or undershirt?

Camisole by itself = shirt or undershirt?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Camisole by itself = shirt or undershirt?

• shirt
    • undershirt
    • other
    • Mrs. Mungo for President!

Depends. Some are thicker and can be worn solo. Some are thinner or a style that needs more coverage and those I wouldn't wear on their own.

Actually, I don't wear them but dd13 does, and I am fine with it.

She always wears a bra and if she is wearing only camis over it, they are layered x2.

She has some that she wears on the outside and some that are only under.

I voted other. I have a variety of camisoles and tank tops. The strap thickness varies enough that there isn't always a clear differentiation as to whether it is a cami or a tank. My general rule is that the bra strap should be covered. By either the tank/cami strap or by the shirt over the cami. But that's probably just me. I can't even tell you where I picked it up.

I have huge issues (not really, but I won't do it) with the current trend of wearing racer back shirts and standard bras.

While I consider a cami an undershirt you left no other option than voting for Mrs. Mungo!

:iagree: well about the no option but voting for Mrs. Mungo. As for the cami it depends on the cami, I have some that are really just tank tops that I could wear as a shirt if I was so inclined, and some I would never even think about doing so with.

Depends on whether or not I'm leaving the house/expecting company. JackJack still nurses round the clock so the less I have to deal with, the sooner he eats. But I buy the camis that look like shirts so that I can throw one of my other shirts over it and it helps make the chest more demure while helping hide the belly blubber when I'm NIP.

While I consider a cami an undershirt you left no other option than voting for Mrs. Mungo!

:iagree:. My eight year old can wear one as a shirt but on my they are always undershirts.

I agree that some are more shirty, but I voted undershirt because most of them look for undershirtish. Y'all don't want me as president. It would end with me punching someone (probably Putin) in the face.

Now you've earned my DH's vote as well. :001_smile:

I agree that some are more shirty, but I voted undershirt because most of them look for undershirtish. Y'all don't want me as president. It would end with me punching someone (probably Putin) in the face.

Exactly why you should be voted for (I did, despite being Canadian!)

At home, a shirt.

Out, under.

All of the above?

Sometimes they're a shirt, others times an undershirt. It depends on where I'm going. I have lace ones that peek out at the right places so you don't see much bookage, but are a nice layer. I have others that I wear when it's 90+.

Sometimes, but only around the house, I even wear them with no bra. :001_smile:

I think Putin needs a punch, esp from Mrs. Mungo.

Edited by justamouse

It looks like Mrs. Mungo is beating the cami as a shirt but is behind the cami as an undershirt. :001_smile:

To answer some questions -

no built in bra

cotton - it's thickness is part of the debate

to wear outside of the house (wearing it in the house is not part of the debate)

No built in bra is no biggie as long as there is a bra worn with it. (And, IMO, NOT one with straps. :D Because no matter who in the fashion world says that it's ok and fashionable for bra straps to show, I heartily disagree.)

I don't think thickness matters a whole lot unless it's like, see through or something. :)

All of the above?

Sometimes they're a shirt, others times an undershirt. It depends on where I'm going. I have lace ones that peek out at the right places so you don't see much bookage, but are a nice layer. I have others that I wear when it's 90+.

Sometimes, but only around the house, I even wear them with no bra. :001_smile:

I think Putin needs a punch, esp from Mrs. Mungo.

:D I agree with every word.

PS. Why hate on the camis?

I voted Mrs. Mungo for President because I really think that she could just cut throught a lot of our country's B.S. and get us on the right track again.

As for the actual question a cami is always covered by something else - another shirt, a shrug or sweater (like from a twin set), at least in this house it is.

"Cami" is short for camisole, which by definition is "a sleeveless undergarment for women". I do not like seeing them worn alone in public by females of any age (even children), I am not that much of a prude really and that's JMHO. Since I live in Texas where is it HOT, I do see it a lot so I realize that many people differ with me on the subject. I especially hate seeing them worn with visible bra straps

I voted other because I can't stand camis. I have not found one that is comfortable and does what I want it to, with or without a bra. They are hot and squeeze me, this is from someone who is relatively small. I wish "they" didn't make so many shirts that require one. It limits my wardrobe choices.

I don't care how other people wear them, unless they are too revealing.

"Cami" is short for camisole, which by definition is "a sleeveless undergarment for women". I do not like seeing them worn alone in public by females of any age (even children), I am not that much of a prude really and that's JMHO. Since I live in Texas where is it HOT, I do see it a lot so I realize that many people differ with me on the subject. I especially hate seeing them worn with visible bra straps

:iagree: "Cami" is undergarment. Undergarments are not for public viewing, even hanging out of your clothing.

Now, I have some thin-strapped tanks that are very clearly not intended as undergarments, and I wear those without another layer (and with appropriate foundation garments) when it's quite warm out. I may also wear them as a layer when it's cold out, but I do the same with t-shirts or turtlenecks, so I don't think that really speaks to whether they are underwear or not.

Garments designed to be seen, but not as a stand-alone, are a third group, somewhere between underwear and outerwear. In this group, I would place items like thin tops that are slightly high or slightly long to provide coverage under v-neck tops or gappy jeans, or sufficient to provide opacity under sheer tops.

I suspect this is where your questionable garment falls.

I think Mrs Mungo should focus on domestic head punching before taking on world leaders. That should keep her busy for her first term.

The problem, as I see it, is that the term camisole is used more broadly than what it, traditionally, strictly means. For example, you can find "camisole dresses" that have very thin straps. That's the way I use camisole. It describes a top with thin straps.

The below item is called a camisole. It is a tribal print "camisole top" from the juniors department at Target that I would consider outerwear. I would probably choose to wear a camisole UNDER it, but the model isn't wearing it layered and I wouldn't blink to see the shirt on someone at the store. The same search also pulled up various lacy undergarments and some items that I would call a tank and some that they called "camisole tanks."

http://www.target.com/OpenZoomLayer?template=scene7-image&image=Target/13999035_is&swCellSpacing=10,10&swHighlightThickness=1&swBorderThickness=0&itemTitle=Xhilaration%26reg%3B+Juniors+Camisole+Top+-+Tribal

Edited by snickelfritz

Undershirt. When I see someone in one by itself, I wonder why they aren't wearing a something on top (okay, and in my weaker moments, I think "tacky"). I have no problem with tank tops, modesty-wise. I just think the super tight, adjustable strap undergarments called camis are for layering, not wearing alone.

I'd take a camisole any day over the tube tops (i.e., no straps) worn with bra in clashing color underneath.

However, I think of them as an undershirt. But it is not always clear what the difference is between them and a sleeveless top? Anyway I do not like shirts with teeny tiny straps because I need a bra. I hate bra straps hanging out. It's ugly.

All the ones that I have are undershirt or sleepwear only. I have once or twice in the privacy of my own backyard taken off my outer-wear shirt and left on just the cami underneath, but I always wind up going in to put a different shirt on instead because even in front of just my family I don't feel comfortable in them as daytime wear.

I have seen some that are more shirt-like, but I tend to think of those as tank tops, or sleeveless shirts, or whatever. Not a cami. But that's just me.

And, for the record, it's not the spaghetti straps or level of coverage, it's just....I guess for me, depends entirely on which section of the store it came from. If it came from the undies/pjs section, then it is undies/pjs. If it came from the shirt department, it could be a shirt. Again, that is just me. I promise not to impose my guidelines on anyone else ;)

It depends on the age of the wearer, and after that, the style of the cami and the weather. When my 8yo wears a brightly colored cami with sparkles all over it to play outside in 95 degree weather, it's a shirt. If she were to wear a white one, especially with lace, it would be an undergarment. When my teen wears one, I don't care about the color, the style, or how hot it is; it's an undershirt, and she'd better be wearing something over it.

Visible bra straps bother me too. Why do you think they make strapless bras? Now, maybe we should use some grant money to make a more comfortable strapless bra. It could lead to world peace.

I think Mrs Mungo should focus on domestic head punching before taking on world leaders. That should keep her busy for her first term.

I am highly skilled at *verbal* head punching. I might stick with. That would be probably work for domestic leaders, unless they really get on my nerves.

I am picturing a budget meeting like the one in the movie Dave, but with members of the hive.