What size?  

1. 1. What size?

• Twin
    • Extra Long Twin
    • Full
    • Queen
    • King
    • Obligatory Other?

Tell her that all college dorm rooms have twin-size beds - best get used to it! (And since many college beds have TWO people in them most nights, I'm sure the twin is big enough for her!)

My DH had a queen-size growing up. He never learned to stay in one place in the bed. The first few years we were married, I would have to literally get out of bed & walk around to the other side several times a night b/c he was just completely sprawled out and was constantly rolling all over. It was awful! NOT good to sleep with!

My kids will be in twins until they buy their own beds in their own apartments, and then they can decide. I want them to learn to sleep in a smaller space. Their future spouses will thank me!

Both boys have queens. Their feet were hanging over/hitting the end of their twins... they weren't sleeping well. They sleep much better in the bigger beds. We skipped the full, and went straight to queens (longer than twins) so we could also use them as guest beds later or let them take the beds when they get married/move out....

Edited by CathieC

We learned the hard way that a twin X-long is really what teens need. We had twins but after a few of the kids went off to college and then came home complaining they couldn't sleep in their beds and then WE tried sleeping in their beds (insomnia), we realized that a twin bed is shorter than most other sizes like a Queen or King. Anyway, I don't currently have a 14 yr old, but I do have a 16 and she's getting a twin x-long when we can afford one since we bought the other kids theirs.

Their bedrooms are not really big enough for queen sized beds, especially the ones who share a bedroom.

My 14yo stepson has a twin. I never had anything other than a twin until I moved out and bought my own bed. Even then, I had a double. Dh and I had a double bed until just a year ago. We have a king now. I LOVE that huge bed, LOL. I tell dh all the time how much I love the bed. :001_smile:

But yeah, I see NO reason a teen would need larger than a twin bed.

Tell her that all college dorm rooms have twin-size beds - best get used to it! (And since many college beds have TWO people in them most nights, I'm sure the twin is big enough for her!)

My DH had a queen-size growing up. He never learned to stay in one place in the bed. The first few years we were married, I would have to literally get out of bed & walk around to the other side several times a night b/c he was just completely sprawled out and was constantly rolling all over. It was awful! NOT good to sleep with!

My kids will be in twins until they buy their own beds in their own apartments, and then they can decide. I want them to learn to sleep in a smaller space. Their future spouses will thank me!

most colleges have Twin X-Long beds, not the regular twin beds.

I voted other. Right now he has a futon bunk bed. The bottom is the futon, which he always leaves down, and is full size. The top is twin. He slept on the bottom for years, but now it's starting to be uncomfortable. I think it's because he's bigger and heavier now, so he feels those bars under the flimsy futon mattress that he didn't feel when he was smaller. He's been sleeping on the top bunk lately.

We plan to get him a new bed in the next few months, and it will be a full size. I figure it will be the bed he has until he leaves home, so it should be comfortable. A twin bed is doable, but not really comfortable IMO.

I got a full at 11, and my sister inherited it when I left, which was when she was 13. We aren't big people at all, but twins can feel sort of claustrophobic if they're against the wall. OTOH they can feel very narrow if they're out in the open, depending on your preferred sleeping position.

For now my girls have twins (twin w/trundle) but when they get close to the teen years we'll have a bigger place and probably get all the kids fulls unless we have many more than we're planning on. :tongue_smilie:

When I was 14, I had just graduated to a twin bed. Up until the prior year, I shared a full-sized bed with my sister (who was bigger than I was). Often my kid brother and sister crawled in to sleep with me. I was 25 when I graduated to having a full-sized bed all to myself. 20 years later, I'm still in the same full-sized bed. But I sleep in the top bunk of my kids' bunkbed when we have overnight houseguests.

My kids are only 5, but they just graduated to a shared twin bed (bottom bunk) last summer. (They were in their convertible cribs/tot cots before that.) They will use the bunkbed in some form or other until they either inherit or buy something bigger.

I think if your dd needs something bigger than a twin sized bed, she needs to figure out how to earn the money to buy one. That's what I'd tell her, anyway.

I answered in the poll.

However, I think that size of family as well as other factors makes a difference. A smaller family may have more room, money, etc for a larger bed. In our case? Each of my kids ages 6 and up have had a queen size bed at one point or another based on our needing to switch beds around for whatever reason. Right now, my 16yr old is in a full and my 6 year old went back to a twin (top bunk). My four year old had the full at one point. It just has depended. I prefer the littles being in smaller beds though. Right now, hubby and I each have a queen to ourselves as we can't decide on a mattress.

My Ds 14 has an ordinary single bed. He really is too long for it, He is just over 6 feet tall. He just sleeps with his legs bent to fit.

DH and I share a double,

Ds17 has a double, but he is just about to shift into residence and have a single. I have no idea how he will fit as he is 6'4"

Ds 16 has a single

DD 12 has a single

DS 7 has a single

to tell you the truth, I am not sure what a twin is??? maybe it is what we call a single?

Edited by melissaL

My dh and I got a full size bed for the guest room before we had kids. We ended up having 2 boys and a girl. The boys shared a room in the house we lived in then, so when dd graduated out of her crib, then toddler bed, she got the full size bed, even though she was only 4. The boys had twin bunk beds. Right after dd turned 5 we moved to this house. Our oldest got the biggest of the 3 kids rooms, which meant he also got the full, and had to sleep on the floor in his brother's room when guests came. So dd got a twin bed, and younger ds did too. When the boys went off to school (boarding Christian High school and oldest to college), dd ended up with the large room (2 years ago). She chose to keep her twin bed, so we made a guest room out of one of the other rooms, since oldest was gone all school year at a University in Mexico. All 3 of them are home this year, so younger ds chose to have the full size bed. He's 6'2" now (oldest ds is 5'10"), and fits better on the full. That's how it is right now.

Long answer to your question! ;) But, the final answer is that dd14 (5'4") is on the twin bed. DH and I got her a foam mattress for Christmas and she likes it a lot better!

Dd had twin until we moved when she was 14. If we wouldn't have purchased the furniture that was here, she would have slept in her old Playnix rainbow, twin-sized bed until she left for college - feet hanging off and everything :D

I had a full that I slept in until I bought my own queen waterbed at @16 or so.

In your daughter's defense, dd was literally the only kid we knew that still had a twin bed. Everyone else had queens, and some even had king beds. Shoot, we even knew a girl (middle school at the time) who had her own suite in her own wing of the house! That was craziness, right there.

DD 21 has a queen, dd 18 (away at college and doing well with the twin-xl in the dorm) also has a queen--BUNK BED (DH helped her build it several years ago-- it is like sleeping in a cave!). DD 10 currently as a twin--but the mattress is worn out and she will be a tall one- she just turned 10 in January and is already 5'1"... we will get her a queen... she will move into the second master bedroom this summer when her sisters FINALLY move out (they are going to share an apartment)... this bed will double as a guest bed.

We will put a queen in one of the other bed rooms too-- sometimes DHs snoring keeps me awake-- well MOST nights it does...

We've found very little price difference between full and queen mattresses... plus we are tall and fit better in a queen (DH and I share a king and would not have it any other way).

In our new house, dd has a king size bed. Here she has a very large room--about 15x16. In our last house she had a twin as her bedroom was 7x9.

She ended up with the King as dh and I got a new bed and she "loved" our old one and wanted that. It will double as a guest room if we have overnight guests. Granted her older sister sleeps in the King with her most nights so she doesn't have it all to herself but given the girls are only 5' tall, they have plenty of room.

I don't have a fourteen year old.

But how is it not big enough. If she is so tall she has to curl up so her feet don't hang off the edge, then I would agree with her that it is to small.

My 6 year old has a queen bed. But his bedroom doubles as the quest room when people come over to spend the night. I got him a queen so that couples (as in my parents) can comfortable sleep in his bed.

My husband never had a big bed as a teen, he sprawls all over anyway :glare:

Both boys have queens. Their feet were hanging over/hitting the end of their twins... they weren't sleeping well. They sleep much better in the bigger beds. We skipped the full, and went straight to queens (longer than twins) so we could also use them as guest beds later or let them take the beds when they get married/move out....

this is my youngest. We just got him a Queen. We had been looking at getting him one when I had to go help my parents out and we got one of their beds. He needed the length.

My oldest who is smaller, is okay in his twin loft bed.

And on college beds yes they are twins but are extra long so the length is about the size of a queen bed.

Didn't read through, so I don't know if this has already been posted, but twins and fulls/doubles are 75" in length. Extra long twins, queens and kings are all 80" long and California kings are 84" long. All that to say that if her feet aren't falling off the edge, she should be fine. IMO it's a good time for an important lesson that someone will always have bigger and better, and at the same time, the majority of people throughout the world would be thrilled to have a warm bed to sleep in - of any size. Or, if it's really that important, I'd encourage her to earn what she needs for a new bed. If her mattress is old and in need of replacement, I might consider putting a percentage towards the larger one.

My twins are 13.5, not quite 14, but things won't change in 1/2 a year - they just got brand new twin captain's beds. They share a room - there's no room for anything more!

My youngest had a full-size for years (the lower bed of the bunk she was in was a sofa/full futon), but when her sisters left, she abandoned it for the single twin that was in the room. Didn't even want the top bunk! It looks like we'll be selling that bed...

I had a double bed starting at age 7, but only because it was a hand-me-down from my parents. They stored it while we were overseas and bought a new one there, so I got their old one when we moved back to the States. My room thus became the guest room whenever we had company.

My sister had a twin bed until age 25 when she bought her own double!

My DH was 6'2" when he left home at age 16 and was still sleeping in a smaller-than-twin homemade bed. His twin bed in his college dorm was downright roomy!

Edited by AndyJoy