What size?  

1. 1. What size?

• Twin
    • Extra Long Twin
    • Full
    • Queen
    • King
    • Obligatory Other?

All of my boys are over 6' tall, and one of them is 6'4".

Four of my kids have XL Twins, and when we have company, I push two of them together and have California King bedding that fits them perfectly. The kid without an XL Twin has a queen ( by default, I didn't buy it purposely). I love our current bed situation, which makes a nice big guest bed in each kid bedroom when we need it. :001_smile:

Honestly, I can't imagine any of my kids telling me that they "need" a bigger bed, even when they each only had a twin. :001_huh:

My response if they demanded a bigger bed ('cause I'm mean like that) would be, "get over it". :glare:

did she define "bigger" bed?

how tall is she?

ask her for her friends parents phone numbers so you can conduct a poll as to her friends actual "bed size".

The only ones I've been willing to purchase a "bigger bed" for were my three children (including 2dd who is 5'11") in the 6' range - xl twins so they can stretch out.

eta: twin and full are the 75" long. xl-twin/queen/king are 80" long. Cal king is 84" long (but only 72" wide).

Edited by gardenmom5

Both of my kids have twins (they are 9 and 12), and they will sleep in these until they leave home. Well, my youngest has a twin-size loft bed, but the set also had a regular twin that went underneath, that he can use if he gets tired of the loft. I don't think kids need beds bigger than a twin -- this is a modern trend. I am an older mom, and when I was growing up, no kids had large beds like today. I think they are unnecessary and kind of silly in a way. But I'm sure I'm a product of the times I grew up in -- 60s and 70s.

ETA: I just read some of the other posts, and I would like to add that I would get my kids a longer bed if they physically outgrew the twins. I don't think that either of them will get that tall, however.

Edited by Serenade

My daughter has a twin mattress on a loft bed. In her dorm room, they had extra-long twins.

My son sleeps on the futon couch he claimed when we got the new living room furniture. If he puts it down flat, it's roughly the size of a full mattress. He sleeps on it in its folded-up-like-a-couch mode, though, since it's not worth the trouble to adjust it twice a day.

My husband and I shared a twin mattress for several years when we were first together. Nowadays, we have a queen-sized mattress.

Edit: I didn't think to mention how tall people are around here. My son (sleeping on the twin-sized futon) is 5'9". My husband (sharing the double with me) is 6'1".

Edited by Jenny in Florida

My 6' tall almost 16yo son sleeps in a twin size bunk bed. We split the bunks, so they each have one on each side of the room instead of being stacked, but there is no room for a larger bed. I thought about twin over full bunks but the 10yo tends to sleepwalk and I don't want him on top because of that.

I would get the extra long twin if my kids were tall (roflol -- so not an issue), but I don't think most average (even on the large side of average) teens "need" a full-sized bed. And as others have pointed out, they'll get a twin (probably extra long) in any college dorm, so might as well be used to it.

Thanks! She has a twin bed and that's what the majority said. She's 5'7 1/2", She said that she does fit in it but it's not comfortable? :001_huh:

I don't know if she just wants something to complain about or if it really is uncomfortable.

That is exactly how tall I am and I have no issue whatsoever in a twin bed. Maybe she has a lot of pillows or other bedding taking up a lot of space, so she's sleeping farther down than normal?

I would consider this a non-issue unless it were a child well over 6' tall.

Thanks! She has a twin bed and that's what the majority said. She's 5'7 1/2", She said that she does fit in it but it's not comfortable? :001_huh:

I don't know if she just wants something to complain about or if it really is uncomfortable.

Could she need a new mattress? That would make the bed uncomfortable.

That is exactly how tall I am and I have no issue whatsoever in a twin bed. Maybe she has a lot of pillows or other bedding taking up a lot of space, so she's sleeping farther down than normal?

I agree - check on the pillow placement. SillyAutismMan has an extra-long twin (he is six feet tall, or a tad over) and has to keep his pillow at the very top of the bed or his feet hang over the other end.

I slept in a twin until I graduated college - I was 5'9" by then and it was fine. I've shared a twin with a baby many times in the last several years. It's adequate.

However my 3yo has a queen! It's what we happened to have, plus she still has a parent laying down with her most of the time, so space for two is good. :-D Her room is teeny tiny, so we'll be getting her a smaller bed at some point so she can have enough room to walk in there too.

Is it not comfortable from a length point of view, or overall uncomfortable?

A memory foam topper might make all the difference. Sometimes when they go on sale, all the sizes are the same price. If that's the case, you can even get one made for a king bed and double it up. That can turn just about any mattress into an amazing mattress. :)

One boy is just under, the other just over 6'. They do not have room to move in twins. They are not heavy or super restless but don't lay in one spot all night, without rolling. They both have queens now, and sleep so much better than they did in twins. I guess it really is more than just a height thing though since I'm 5'2" and find a twin uncomfortable. What is adequate for one person may not be the same as what is adequate for another person.....

Our oldest daughter at 14 got a twin waterbed. When she moved out, her younger sister inherited the waterbed. She eventually put a hole in it, I forget how and we bought a mattress for it which was the equivelent of a twin x long.

In the mean time our sons outgrew their twin bunk beds as young teenagers (they are both way over 6 feet tall) , so we got them twin xlong beds.