Menu

Do you tip the bagger who takes your groceries out to the car?

When I shop at the commissary (military grocery store), it is expected and I do. When I shop at HEB (local grocery store), I do not. In fact, they are not allowed to accept a tip. It is rare for me to accept an offer of help though. I accept only if it's a huge trip and I have two carts (our store has teensy carts). :)

Same here, except we have a different local chain. At military commissaries the baggers work for tips *only*. Most of the local civilian grocery stores have no tipping policies posted.

Years ago we lived on an Air Force Base and those who bagged your groceries also walked them out to your car and expected you to pay them a tip. It always bothered me because you had NO choice. There was no other option outside of being rude by not tipping. And it was considered VERY rude to not tip at least $.25 to $.50 a bag. I was a "big shopper" and it was a hassle to have quarters or dollars set aside for tipping.

I love it that we no longer live in that forced payment scenario. Now I shop at stores that only send someone out to help you if it's requested and they are not allowed to accept tips.

Not allowed at the upscale (yuppie) market I shop at. If people insist on a tip, the bagboys are instructed to turn the $$ in to the general fund for the annual Christmas party for store employees.

Although my local grocery store isn't upscale, the policy is the same as what she says. There is a sign in the store stating not to tip the bag boys and if you do offer it, they decline and say that they cannot accept it.

I think the people who help me out to the car would be insulted if I tried to tip them. Oi, it's been eight years since I moved here but as I recall I tried to and the person in question was very plain that it was his job and he was well paid to do it.

I've never seen anyone else in the parking lot tip the bagger.

We have two stores in our town. One doesn't have a bagger and therefore it is not an issue. The other has a no tipping policy and it is near impossible to get out the door without a bagger if you have more than two bags. I do not visit the second store AT ALL. The few times I've needed to (my dd is GF and they have more selection), I have let the bagger (or manager if they are the one insisting) that this policy is the main reason they get such a limited amount of my business. Seriously, I should have a choice whether to carry my own groceries out or not!

Anyway, yes, I have and would tip baggers when it is a store that allows tips AND I used baggers. That is a largely a non-issue for the last decade or so though.

I haven't lived near or heard of a grocery store whose baggers carry customer groceries out to the car (and load them into it) since I moved to the Northeast from Atlanta in 1989.

When I did, there were signs all over the place saying not to tip the bag boys. It was part of their job and they were already being paid to do it. I offered a tip anyway, and one time a young man took the tip.

I've never lived in an area where baggers take the stuff to your car, *except* for on-line shopping with parking lot pick up, which carries a $10 fee, and I never tipped on top of that.

When I worked in a nursery (plants, not kids) we were not allowed to accept tips for helping customers haul 50lb bags of dirt, manure, rocks, etc. Our tax forms weren't whatever numbers include a line for claiming gratuities.

I'll have to check when my current local grocery starts their parking lot service in the spring. I really hope not, because it's already going to put a $40/mo dent in my budget! (But I can't wait to use it!!!!)

There are signs posted at our grocery stores that says something along the lines of "carrying out is part of your service" and they really do not accept tipping for walking out to your car and helping you load your groceries.

I love the service- especially when I have all my kids with me. I can load up my kids in the car seats and by the time I'm done my groceries are loaded.

My brother is a customer service manager at the local grocery chain and he told me that they prefer baggers to help with carry out groceries because they can clear the parking lot of stray carts that have been left out on their way in.

At my grocery store, carts are not permitted to leave the store. The store has a sign that says, "Tipping is not expected or required", but I do think some people still tip.

I do not tip the bagger when they load the bags in my trunk since I don't tip the cashier or the person who bags the groceries.

Always. I give about 10% of my grocery bill.

Yikes, this would run me about an extra $25 each weekly trip.

Wow, I never heard of people taking your groceries out to the car. LOL

None of the grocery stores I visit, about 4 different chains, have baggers bring the groceries out to your car. I think it's a service you can request if you are disabled but it's not a standard thing.

I usually go to the register where I actually bag my own groceries so I can put things together the way I want. Otherwise the cashiers do it. We very rarely see separate baggers unless its a very slow time at the store and some of the cashiers without customers may hop over to help another cashier bag.

I guess it would be different if we couldn't take the carts out of the store since carrying $200+ worth of groceries by hand would be impossible.

When I shop at the commissary (military grocery store), it is expected and I do. When I shop at HEB (local grocery store), I do not. In fact, they are not allowed to accept a tip. It is rare for me to accept an offer of help though. I accept only if it's a huge trip and I have two carts (our store has teensy carts). :)

So how much do you tip at the commissary? I am happy to tip, I'm just not sure if I'm being way over-generous or stingy so I vary wildly between the two.

No and if I had to I would be peeved, sometimes I am scraping up enough quarters just to afford the groceries for that week and usually have to put 1-2 items back I would have to give up a basic food item for my kids to do that. Generally I do not accept help out to the car, but the store in my town you are not allowed to take the carts out of the store to your car and all cars are parked right in front, so if I have more bags than I can carry on my own I get help (my oldest 2 are not allowed in the store at this time so they can't help me). It is a courtesy out here anyway, no tipping expected at all. In other stores I have been in even with pushing the cart they have offered to do so for me so I can get all the kids to the car safely. Since I generally have all of my 4 plus whatever daycare kids I have with me that day it is helpful for them to offer but I would wrestle it all to teh car myself if a tip was expected.

If I was in an area that it was expected I simply would not shop there or I would refuse any and all help even if it meant making 2-3 trips back and forth between store and car to carry bags or push a teeny cart etc.

Edited by swellmomma

As mentioned previously - at the military commissary, we tip. The baggers at the commissary do not receive a wage from the store, so the tips are their only income. I really don't like this at all, but am willing to suck it up to shop there. It would be the height of rudeness not to tip.

We could never tip 10% though! We spend almost $400 every time we go! I was told I was being "generous" tipping $5 by other military families, so I've stuck with that.

Always. I give about 10% of my grocery bill.

:svengo: Wow. I often spend $200 and I can't imagine handing over $20 to someone who spent 5 minutes bagging and maybe another 5 minutes walking it out to my car and loading them into the trunk.

For that amount, I usually will tip $5 unless I have a lot of big things that either don't need to be bagged (like toilet paper and cases of soda) or take relatively few bags and then it's a $3-4 tip.

$3 is my minimum. If I have just a couple of bags, I just tip a dollar at the register and walk it out myself. I do wish the commissary would just pay their baggers so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

I've never lived anywhere in which they bring your groceries to your car. I feel awkward just having someone else bag my groceries for me. I usually go to the stores where I can bag my own stuff just to avoid it. I use the self-checkouts where they have them, too. :001_smile:

I'm old enough to remember when tipping bag boys was done routinely.

Then it seems like over night the stores put up the signs for "please don't tip the bag boys."

I've never lived anywhere that the baggers wouldn't at least offer to take your groceries out. We have one store in this town that isn't an option unless one is buying one or two items. The baggers carry your stuff by hand since one must climb steps to get into the store, and are waiting by the door for you to finish paying. Often they will just ask which car is yours and will be loading your groceries in the back seat when you get there.

The owner is building a new store on level ground. It will be interesting to see what happens with the bagging service then.

I always tipped at the commissary; it was expected.

Our local grocery stores are completely different. Two chains carry out and one has a drive up service; they do not allow tips of any kind. The other stores, don't carry out unless you ask...I would tip there, but never ask.

I do love the drive up service in the winter.

Years ago we lived on an Air Force Base and those who bagged your groceries also walked them out to your car and expected you to pay them a tip. It always bothered me because you had NO choice.

<snip>

I love it that we no longer live in that forced payment scenario. Now I shop at stores that only send someone out to help you if it's requested and they are not allowed to accept tips.

In the 17 years that I have been a military wife, you have always had the option to tell the cashier that you want to bag your own groceries. It is a service, you aren't forced to accept it.

So how much do you tip at the commissary? I am happy to tip, I'm just not sure if I'm being way over-generous or stingy so I vary wildly between the two.

If I go through the express lane and have a few bags that I carry out myself, then I drop a dollar in their tip box. If it is a big shopping day, then $5 (or about 5 percent) is more standard. Other days can be in between.

As mentioned previously - at the military commissary, we tip. The baggers at the commissary do not receive a wage from the store, so the tips are their only income. I really don't like this at all, but am willing to suck it up to shop there. It would be the height of rudeness not to tip.

We could never tip 10% though! We spend almost $400 every time we go! I was told I was being "generous" tipping $5 by other military families, so I've stuck with that.

The baggers carry your stuff by hand since one must climb steps to get into the store, and are waiting by the door for you to finish paying. Often they will just ask which car is yours and will be loading your groceries in the back seat when you get there.

The owner is building a new store on level ground. It will be interesting to see what happens with the bagging service then.

There was a Wal-Mart in Hawaii that was built on a hill. One parking lot was on top of the hill, the other parking lot and entrance/exit were at the bottom of the hill. If you parked at the top? They had a special cart escalator that took your cart to the top.

I never have and wouldn't have even thought to do so but there was a comic in the Sunday paper today where the bagger asks for a tip. Do people tip baggers? (is that what they are called?)

When I was a teenage bagger/cart pusher at a grocery store, we weren't allowed to accept tips.

If I go through the express lane and have a few bags that I carry out myself, then I drop a dollar in their tip box. If it is a big shopping day, then $5 (or about 5 percent) is more standard. Other days can be in between.

This is exactly what I do. I have been enjoying the self-checkout lanes as well though, when the express and regular lanes are busy. I do it myself, the kids and I carry, and no tip is involved. One day I expect the kids to notice and ask for a tip for their service. Just biding my time until then. :lol:

My daughter bags at the commissary. She always tells me how many $5 tips she gets...so I would say that is considered a pretty good tip. She has gotten a couple of $10 tips...but that has been older retirees, or young airmen who are trying to flirt with her. I think the average tip is $2. I can't imagine tipping 10%, and I don't think my daughter would be comfortable with a tip that big.

If you are not able to tip (it happens) if you tell them up front, they can put the groceries in a cart for you to take out. By doing this, the bagger can stay at the register, and not lose out on a tip.

No, and I've never thought about it either.

I just googled Safeway and tipping. Apparently you are not supposed to tip them. I don't remember seeing any signs at the store but the surroundings might be so familiar that I don't even see them. I've never seen anyone else tipping the bagboys in the parking lot.

Our grocery store cashiers ask you every single time if you would "like help out". If my kids are with me I tell them that I brought my help with me. But if I'm in a hurry or am in pain or bought a huge amount, I gladly accept the help.

I was visiting my elderly parents in the midwest and I was shocked that the grocery store refused to help my 87 year old mother out with her groceries.

I'm glad that I asked the question. I would have never thought to tip them in another part of the country either!

I have always carried my own bags, except for one really rough winter day when I had my two pre-walking infants in a double stroller and found it practically impossible to drag all the stuff through the blizzard. I didn't even think about tipping that day, just thanked him profusely.

It's not a standard practice around here for people to help us out with our bags. And also, I usually don't carry cash. I assume baggers don't take credit cards?

I'm old enough to remember when tipping bag boys was done routinely.

Then it seems like over night the stores put up the signs for "please don't tip the bag boys."

I didn't know there was any place where tipping is still allowed. I actually only shop at one store where there are baggers, and tipping isn't allowed there.

Our grocery store cashiers ask you every single time if you would "like help out". If my kids are with me I tell them that I brought my help with me.

I don't accept help out either. I did when the kids were younger though. It was nice to have someone putting the groceries in the van while I was helping 3 kids get into their car seats.

All big stores here will offer you a carryout, except the stores where you bag your own groceries. They will not accept a tip, and if you force it, they are expected to put it in the charity can on the register when they get back inside.

We have a local chain that doesn't allow to take your own cart out. They also don't have cart corrals. When we moved here I was told that the baggers were not allowed to accept tips.

I agree with a pp about the awkward silence or awkward conversations walking to the car. I'd just as soon skip it. :tongue_smilie: There have been times when I only had one or two bags and they've offered to carry the bags out for me anyhow. They are generally very friendly people, and they do a much better job bagging than the other stores do. :001_smile:

I only go every 6-8 weeks (and I have a big family!), so I buy a TON of stuff--2 big carts, piled high and overflowing, along with stuff on the bottom. At least $700 worth. I usually pay $6.00, although sometimes if I don't have a $1, then just $5. But I do help load the groceries into my van. I will put them in the front passenger seat and the middle seats. I don't want to be there all day, since I have to drive through D.C. traffic to get home!

Neither this area nor the St Louis area had baggers that took groceries out for you. The only place I've ever seen this is at the commissary on the bases when I was a kid. We tipped them then. I have had a clerk take out my groceries for me when I was pregnant and ill...but I knew several of the other clerks and I did not tip him. I thanked him though.

Wow, I never heard of people taking your groceries out to the car. LOL

I was thinking the same thing! I have never in my life seen this, and it's rare that any checkout lane I'm in has a bagger at all. Either I do it or the cashier does it. (Which brings me to one of my pet peeves--when people stand there watching while the cashier rings up all of their groceries, then stand there watching while the cashier bags them all too :glare:)

There is a sign that says "No Tipping". The grocery store doesn't let you take out the carts so unless you can carry all your bags out, it isn't an option to have someone load them in your car. I still tipped. I never thought about that they might not be able to keep the tip. It just seems weird to have someone help and not tip.