Menu

If your husband is employed, does he regularly wear a tie to work?

If your husband is employed, does he regularly wear a tie to work?  

1. 1. If your husband is employed, does he regularly wear a tie to work?

• Yes
    • No.
    • Obligatory other.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in the insurance underwriting business in the early 90s. When I started it was strictly business attire, women in hose and heels, men in ties and dress shoes. About 92 or so the company went business casual. Ties were no longer required, women started dressing more casually. We only had business dress when the corporate heads showed up.

It was kind of funny, because mens' casual wear wasn't what it is today. Inevitably you have 3 or 4 men show up in the same khakis and same color polo shirt. It was like school uniforms.

For years my husband wore BDUs, and now he wears a tee-shirt.

I had to bribe him to wear a tie to our son's First Holy Communion. At our wedding he wore an Aloha shirt. He really, really, really hates ties. Really hates them. Really. I keep asking what childhood trauma contributed to his ridiculously intense hatred for ties, but he can't explain it.

I tried to get him into bowties, but he hates those even more LOL. He's so not fun with the fashion :P

Since my dh builds outdoor construction elevators and cranes, he'd better not... it would be quite a danger hazard! Mechanic pants and t-shirts... sweatshirts when it's cold. This man works SO hard and gets so worn out... Two more years and he'll get to switch jobs... oh!! 1-1/2 years!!!

No, he does not. It's very casual at his place of employment.

All this tie talk reminds me of an amusing anecdote from years ago. I was a lot shyer than I am now. I had gone to a conference with another female student from my college and two other female students from another college, whom I had never met before. They had come to the conference with two male students from their college. I was alone in our hotel room when someone knocked on the door. It was one of the male students, wanting to ask the girls he knew about which tie went best with the rest of his ensemble. Since they weren't in the room, he asked me for my opinion and I gave it to him.

Later that evening after the formal event, we were all sitting around and the girls asked him if he had met me yet. He replied, "Yes, she helped me get dressed earlier." I about died, and a second later he realized how that sounded and blushed worse than I have ever seen a man blush before or since!!!!!

Not any more. Many moons ago, male teachers had to wear a tie. My DH hated them.

One day, while laminating some items, he bent over the laminating machine and his tie started to be laminated. :scared: Thank goodness he quickly turned off the machine. However, he was the only person in the teacher workroom for about 10 minutes and thus, was stuck to the machine. What a sight he was when one of his colleagues finally appeared. After some extensive cutting of the offending tie, DH was finally free.

He hasn't worn a tie to work since. :D

It depends on what country we have lived in/what nationality the company was. When we lived in Hong Kong, he could dress down when he worked for a US company, but when he went to work for a Hong Kong based company, he had to wear a tie. In London he had to wear a tie, and also in Scotland. In Scotland, not everyone seems to shave every day though.

Laura

Hahahahahahaha -- DH wearing a tie to work! Nope, he does not wear a tie. I don't think he ever has worn a tie to work. For a long time, he worked in the field, so he wore t-shirts and jeans and got dirty and dusty. Now he works in the office, but it's a small office and casual, so he still wears jeans and t-shirts but doesn't generally get dirty and dusty. If he is meeting clients, he'll wear a button-down shirt, but not a super dressy one. I can't think of any work occasions where he's needed a tie, though. (Construction field just isn't very formal, and clients always love him, so he must be doing something right.) Even for job interviews, nice-casual has always worked for him.

The last time he wore a tie in the past several years was for our homeschool co-op's spring formal a few weeks ago -- and that was probably only because the dress code specified ties.

My dh works from home. Sometimes he wears a bathrobe to work. Sans tie.

Cat

:iagree:Last week, my dh's day unexpectedly started an hour early, during breakfast. Around 2 pm, we all convened for a late lunch. After we were done eating, my dh stood up and said, "I guess I have time to shower and change before my next conference call." Yep, he was still in his pjs. I hadn't even noticed. :001_huh:

DH wears Dockers-type pants and button-up shirts. When we met he (and other men he worked with) wore ties to work. He's in the same industry, so it's just gotten more casual over the years. He used to always wear a tie to church as well and now rarely does. I'm now trying to think of the last time I saw him wear one.

No, but he's blue-collar. He wears Red Wings and Levis to work. :drool5:

OH, yeah! Throw in a white T-shirt and leather tool belt and I'm wide awake. Wow, I miss MrTea's construction job...

No tie on his current job, either. Safety hazard in his factory.

I voted "other" because he regularly wears one sometimes :D

DH works from home most of the week and wears shorts and tshirts. However, when he meets with any clients (which is frequently, at least once a week) he wears a full suit and tie. It's a thing with his boss, when they meet with clients they have to wear a suit. Jacket included, even if it's Arizona and NO. ONE. else is wearing one.

LOL--He's an Episcopal priest. He wears a collar. :001_smile:

I will say that, for 4 years, he was an assistant priest and also a professor at SMU (adjunct). He'd come home in the middle of the day to change before going to the uni--said he felt a little like Clark Kent.

Well, Dh is unemployed at the moment, but in the past it really depended on the company. Mostly no, it was just "business casual" for attire, unless there was a client meeting or some other more formal gathering.