Menu

If your husband is employed, does he regularly wear a tie to work?

If your husband is employed, does he regularly wear a tie to work?  

1. 1. If your husband is employed, does he regularly wear a tie to work?

• Yes
    • No.
    • Obligatory other.

Dh rarely has to wear a tie anymore. Rather, the men wear suit/dress pants and dress shirts without ties. Some days, he'll go in in khakis and a dress shirt, and on Fridays he can wear jeans and polo shirts. His industry never used to be this casual, but times are changing.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever dh drives into the corporate offices, he wears a suit and tie. He tends to try to be the best dressed person in the meeting if possible since they only make him drive in when something like contract talks with GM are stalled.

Otherwise he works from home as the three accounts he works on are all global accounts that affect about 11 different countries...meeting times are by conference call and can be at odd times of the day including the wee hours of the morning. His work from home attire today includes a polo shirt, nasty jeans that have seen better days but which he claims are "just getting comfortable", a baseball cap, and sandals. During the winter, the polo shirt is replaced with flannel shirts!

Faith

Not in his current job no. In 2010 when he managed a theatre yes he often wore a tie to work. Prior to that he was a legal assistant and wore a tie and suit every day except for casual Fridays. 10 years ago when he worked in sales he wore a suit and tie. It depends on the job.

When DH started teaching here he started wearing ties, but mostly fun, novelty ties. We had a blast buying from E-bay and such and he can now pretty much wear a different tie everyday of the school year.

As for his navy uniform, the only time he's worn a tie is with his "Johnny Cash" uniform, I think that's what they called it. I believe they've done away with those in the last couple of year. I wish they'd transition faster to the new khaki though, I really like those. Oh, and bow ties with his mess dress.

DH is a high school teacher, and he pretty much never wears ties anymore. He did more his first couple of years of teaching. I just asked him if other teachers wore ties regularly, and he could only think of a couple of people who do. (I'm glad he didn't say, "oh, sure, everyone but me does!")

He is an engineering manager (the boss over a certain branch of engineering for his company). He never wears a tie unless he has some meeting with big wigs from some other company. Usually that is only when he travels elsewhere. He and most of his co-workers wear khaki pants and a polo shirt. On Friday, everyone wears JEANS! Lol. We live in the South...that may make a difference (i.e. we don't live in NYC and he doesn't work on Wall Street!).

Nope. I can't remember the last time he wore a tie to work. He does research in a university lab, and it's pretty casual. Even when he goes to meetings, he very, very rarely wears a tie, unless his lab is meeting with pretty high-up people from the corporate world. Then he'll wear one.

When DH interviewed for his current job it looked like he might be working at their corporate HQ and we thought he was going to need to wear ties.... But when they hired him it was for a job in a very casual subsidiary and he felt really awkward the first week because wearing a polo and new khakis had him looking very overdressed! For his former job, where he worked for over a decade, he wore khakis and polos, never ties. He is a web designer and he can wear anything except for jeans.

Dickies shorts here. And an occasional baseball cap. :tongue_smilie: I'm glad he gets to wear shorts, though, as he drives a car 45 minutes to work that doesn't have a/c in triple digit heat.

For me, ties are for job interviews only. My DH works for HP, although he's been with this particular group through many buyouts. He started with Digital Equipment Corporation, which was bought by Compaq, which was bought by HP. They joked that if they saw someone in the building wearing a tie that the person was either 1. interviewing for a job, 2. a sales rep from another company, or 3. an executive from headquarters (though that one was a maybe).

Every day. He quit wearing one for a while when he taught, because he would regularly have to restarin students and a tie becomes a liability with a clever student. :D He went back to wearing one as a principla, because he wanted to represent his building well, even though it was still hazardous (he would strip off the tie and his dress shirt on the way to an emergency call from a teacher, which earned his the nickname of SuperMan.) Now he wears a tie every day except for the few days that he at a special event (Special Olympics, etc.) and needs to wear a specific t-shirt to show his support.

No, but he's blue-collar. He wears Red Wings and Levis to work. :drool5:

Some people dig kilts, but it's hard-working, red-blooded American man that revs my engines. :D

Kilts? Meh. But, flannel shirts? My goodness, those just do me weak in the knees!

Not usually. He wears whatever the newest camouflage uniform is most days. On MOndays, he wears the blue uniform but I think it usually is without a tie. When he travels or goes to conferences, he tends to wear a tie.

As an aside, it is one area of his life that I know I am needed- he is somewhat blue/green color blind and always wants me to coordinate his tie, jacket, shirt and pants to make sure it all looks right.:)

My dh is a restaurant manager and has worn dress shirts, ties and dress pants for the last 25 years. He just started with a new company yesterday where he wears dockers and polos. I have to say he looks just as hot without the tie:D

Not usually. He wears whatever the newest camouflage uniform is most days. On MOndays, he wears the blue uniform but I think it usually is without a tie. When he travels or goes to conferences, he tends to wear a tie.

As an aside, it is one area of his life that I know I am needed- he is somewhat blue/green color blind and always wants me to coordinate his tie, jacket, shirt and pants to make sure it all looks right.:)

Oh that reminds me of a funny thing about my dad. He was a bit colour blind, too. It never bothered him until after he'd left the Navy. He said once, "Until I didn't have a snappy Navy uniform to wear everyday, I had no idea I was such a bad dresser!" :lol:

Oh that reminds me of a funny thing about my dad. He was a bit colour blind, too. It never bothered him until after he'd left the Navy. He said once, "Until I didn't have a snappy Navy uniform to wear everyday, I had no idea I was such a bad dresser!" :lol:

:D There is another guy in our circle who is the same rank as my dh. I don't think he's updated his wardrobe since he was in college. He wears pleated khakis and crazy 80s style patterned shirts.

Tie and pocket square with french cuffs. Dresses to the 9's. I, on the other hand, look like a color blind babushka with severe metabolism issues. Oh wait, I actually am a chubby babushka with what dh calls temperment issues.:lol: In other words I deal with the out of control or rude clients who need behaviour modification of a special kind. Technically that makes me a junkyard dog lawyer with a bad wardrobe.

My husband is an academic librarian. He wants to wear a tie to work and did when he first started. His supervisor took him aside and told him he was making everyone else look bad. Now he wears one for presentations, a few times a month.

He also wears actual tweed jackets. He wears those more than a tie.

Yes, every day, and mostly ridiculous ties. He's a teacher, and the kids seem to get a kick out of what tie he'll wear. So among the regular patterns, we have Scooby Doo, Star Wars, Spiderman :lol: really weird patterns, and what he calls 'math ties'.

One year it was fairly challenging because the girls in his 7th grade class, on their own, decided to make charts and keep records of his ties. He ended up borrowing from friends because they would point out to him when he'd worn 3 superhero ties that week or something. Kids are hilarious!

Yes, every day, and mostly ridiculous ties. He's a teacher, and the kids seem to get a kick out of what tie he'll wear. So among the regular patterns, we have Scooby Doo, Star Wars, Spiderman :lol: really weird patterns, and what he calls 'math ties'.

One year it was fairly challenging because the girls in his 7th grade class, on their own, decided to make charts and keep records of his ties. He ended up borrowing from friends because they would point out to him when he'd worn 3 superhero ties that week or something. Kids are hilarious!

DH has several math ties! Also ones for all the services, Constitution Day, Pearl Harbor Day, several holidays, Sesame Street, bunch of Dr. Seuss and Disney. Yes, the kids love it! Where does your husband find his? We've only really had luck with e-Bay.

Although when he taught his first full year, he wore a tie the first couple of days and was recommended not to since it could "intimidate the kids." Whatever, they just didn't know about his tie collection. Now being in a military community it's a lot of fun.