Menu

Davenport??? ETA: Answer in first post

Mom in High Heels

Davenport!  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know what a "davenport" is?

• Yes, of course!
    • Davenport? Um, no...what the heck is that?
    • Yes, I know what a davenport is but I'm FEELING THE LOVE! (this choice put in for a certain person)
    • I think you guys are nuts, but I like polls, so I'll just click this

Okay, some other WTM friends and I were debating this word over on FB, and one wanted me to put a poll up to see if people knew what it was.  Please answer the poll, but DON'T give it away in the comments.  If you know, you're part of a secret club, and we cannot give our secrets away.

I will be posting the answer in a day or so.  

Also, no googling before you answer the poll!  i want an unskewed survey.

ETA:  Answer

Hmmm...I guess I should have worded the poll differently, as some people seemed to have voted yes, thinking the British definition or the name of a town.  For those of you who don't know, a Davenport is a sofa, or couch, for those of you who use that term (I personally dislike the word couch.  There's no really reason, I just do).  Looks like I was wrong, as I was on the side of most people not knowing what it was.   :svengo:

Well, I just googled to see if my definition is right, because you don't hear it very often, and I know davenport only with the British definition - apparently in the US it's different. :)  But I clicked that I know it, and feel the love!

Well, I was going by the American version. I had forgotten this was something else to the British. I do recall now it referring to a different thing in some books.

It was in a camp song we used to sing and my grandmother would call it that.

L-O-double L-I-P-O-P spells lollipop, lollipop :lol:

My husband did not know this word. He didn't know what a potato bug was either! Anyway, my maternal grandfather was from Boston and I had no clue there was another word until I was an early teen and people thought I was being snooty. Now it just makes me think of him and his quiet proper ways.

My weird, unsocialized homeschooler uses both potato big and davenport. Though Dad is in there too with y'ens, "let's kick this pig," and "now we're cookin' with oil!"

I know the British one, and that Davenport is a nice beach city along highway one in California. I had to google for the American definition.

ETA:

There is also a Davenport in South Australia which is having a by-election on Saturday. Seems to be a popular place name.

I know the last name and the place, but those aren't definitions. So I'm off to google.

ETA: Found the American and, yes, I've definitely heard that before, just didn't remember. Can't find a British definition. The first thing that comes to mind is a particular person.

I know the British one, and that Davenport is a nice beach city along highway one in California. I had to google for the American definition.

ETA:

There is also a Davenport in South Australia which is having a by-election on Saturday. Seems to be a popular place name.

Sigh.... one of the few places I miss in California.

I knew the American definition, not the British.

Yes I believe i know what you are referring to, and that is what we called it growing up. I don't use that name any more, so I I have to admit my first thought was that you were asking about Davenport college. I have a friend who works at one and my youngest just headed back to college to finish his business degree there.

while yes, of course I knew what it was, my first thought was Davenport, Iowa, from where I used to buy my 8mm silent movies decades ago.  I was thrilled to visit Davenport (my son went to school just across the river in Rock Island) but Blackhawk Films was long gone :-(