Menu

Never loan your Carbon Monoxide detector to your mother in law without instantly buying a new one.

Faith-manor

Mil's CO3 detector, which came from the house, stopped working. It wasn't a battery issue, just a very old, died kind of issue. She was pretty upset about sleeping in the house without one, so Mark took ours up there. He was so busy, he didn't run tot he hardware to buy us a new one, and felt it could wait until he went to the Hardware today. (Took the detector to her on Thursday.)

Saturday (while I was out of town), he felt very weak and headache. Our dog Lewis was lethargic, and then had a seizure. Lewis has never done that before, but he has multiple health problems and is 14.5 years old so we have been expecting more issues with him, not less. Sunday, Mark felt awful, Lewis was definitely lethargic, but he dragged himself out of the house with Lewis to do something at my house and his mom's. Of course being out of the house, they began improving but he didn't link the two. Monday morning he was heating without propane, using our wood boiler, and of course he felt better.

Cue me coming back to town. He didn't want me to have to tend the wood boiler Tuesday since he was going to be working remote from his mom's house. So he shut down the wood boiler, and started us on propane again.

This is when we had our near death experience, and I am not exagerrating this. Thank the universe my bladder woke me up about 3 am. I could smell gas, and realized when I tried to get up, I could barely control my legs. Lewis was fighting for breath, and I was barely able to rouse Mark. He was able to get to the side of the bed, pull himself up to the window sill, and open the window. After standing there for a while breathing in air, he was able to stagger to the basement while holding his breath, turn off the propane. He was able to pick up Lewisz and I was able to hold the walls and support him, and we made to the living room where we flung open the door, breathed deep, and then managed to get the windows open. We sat outside for a while, then came back in and are cuddled under blankets, weak as sheep, again no exaggeration.

I have not felt this weak since our car accident. Mark says he has never been this weak in his life including when he had pleurisy as a teenager.

Called the stitch and ditch ER up the road and asked if we need to be seen. Have no idea who answered, but was told that we were A. Alive, B. Out of danger and C. If improving, the only thing they could do was oxygen mask but it didn't sound necessary. Neither of us can drive, so this would be an ambulance run that our insurance for darn sure is not going to cover, $2000 each to go six miles. So we are just sitting her breathing the fresh air and slowly getting better.

The cat had sneaked outside last night. We had no idea Nana was out. So she burst back inside full of energy when we flung the door open.

I feel like someone who has been run over by a truck. A big truck. 

Check your batteries, make sure your unit is actually still working, and if you can't afford a new one, call your fire department non emergency number because many departments keep a stash to give people.

The headache/migraine is definitely subsiding. Mark called in sick for work so he can just rest. He thinks we may have a squirrel or large bird that fell into the chimney after knocking out the screen protector. The animals do not seem to get that the chimney is a bad, bad playground.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 41

17 minutes ago, maize said:

Oh wow, I'm glad you are OK! Have you ever had a carbon monoxide detector go off in the house? 

Never. This furnace, the way it is made, is that the only way gas can leak into the house is if the exterior valve fails or something plugs the chimney, and then it backs up. Mark turned off the propane and will have the valve connections checked. But we are pretty sure a critter got in there. The last time Mark was on the roof, he had to reattach the screen that keeps critters out. So apparently, they may have managed to damage it. Dumb critters. Go hide/nest someplace else.

I did an unfortunate thing. I told my daughter. The former paramedic. She is freaking out and loosing her crap all over us about going to the ER. I am not happy about it. Our ERs are so freaking expensive. So we are going to go but say up front we are willing to take some oxygen by nasal canula but will not agree to a blood gas. Those are over $500 according to the billing department person I talked to.  See if they agree to it. If jot, we will walk put and maybe go rent a tank from the supply place which is a hell of a lot cheaper.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh, and because my brain is in a fog. I was using C03, but really it's just CO. Kind of embarrassing on an education board, and as person who has taught chemistry in the past.

My mistake.

No worries at all.  You are not thinking clearly and have just been through a really scary situation.  

• Like 3

My husband insist on leaving our patio door open a little because of the fear of carbon monoxide poisoning. Our cold is tolerable since the wind from our patio doesn’t blow directly into our bedrooms.

Our city fire department does post reminders during spring forward and fall back days to check the fire alarm and carbon monoxide monitors and change the batteries.

We are in the car and have arranged to speak with Mark's GP. Not doing the ER. If he insists, that would be dicey. They will want an arterial blood gas which is $500+ at the band aid station, and every hour in the ER is $900. So if the GP is like, "Scary, but you are coming ou5 of it okay" or "Sit here in my office with oxygen for an hour", cool. Lot less cost.by long shot.

• Like 10

I am so glad you woke up and that everyone got out of the house in time. We care about our WTMers and I couldn't help crying when I read your story to my young adult, which I did that he would have a story (with a happy ending) embedded in his mind regarding the dangers of carbon monoxide. 

I think all my "smoke detectors" are dual purpose for fire and carbon monoxide (more expensive, but more of them as I have one in each bedroom, one in each hall, and one in the entry near the kitchen so if one stopped working, hopefully the others would still be on the job). I am going to check them to make sure, today. I also had been thinking about getting an explosive gas detector as we have a propane stove. We got one for my MIL once she was unable to smell the propane. I think I should get one right away.

• Like 2

We have a brand new detector.

So this is cool. Since dd was on the full freak out, while I have been posting here, I have been in an empty ER at the band aid station with Mark.

We walked in and told them what happened, and said we were willing to take oxygen by mask or nasall canula for  while, or be sent home with it, but we knew it was bad yet mild in the grand scheme of exposures, and we just can't rack up a $7500 admission or $500 blood gas test a piece just to be told "no worries". They were surprisingly accommodating. And they have this new, nifty thing. It is like a hand held pulse ox except that it detects CO level in the skin or blood vessels or something and gives them a baseline. If that is worrisome, then they do the more invasive. Ours came back fine. We were already coming out of it.

So they consulted with Mark's GP who has his practice in the building, and he said we could go home, but stay outside for several hours and let the house continue to air out.

No idea what it cost. But DD is now satisfied and no longer threatening to get on an airplane. 

I feel so much better. We just picked up a big salad to share. Also, Lewis is really perking. It is 66 degrees out, shattering February temperature records, and in the fresh air, he is frisky. So we aren't going to the vet. The reality is he is 14.5, bad heart, other issues. As the vet says, something is probably going to get him this year so try to enjoy the time we have so long as he is not suffering.

• Like 22

33 minutes ago, Kalmia said:

I am so glad you woke up and that everyone got out of the house in time. We care about our WTMers and I couldn't help crying when I read your story to my young adult, which I did that he would have a story (with a happy ending) embedded in his mind regarding the dangers of carbon monoxide. 

I think all my "smoke detectors" are dual purpose for fire and carbon monoxide (more expensive, but more of them as I have one in each bedroom, one in each hall, and one in the entry near the kitchen so if one stopped working, hopefully the others would still be on the job). I am going to check them to make sure, today. I also had been thinking about getting an explosive gas detector as we have a propane stove. We got one for my MIL once she was unable to smell the propane. I think I should get one right away.

We have a CO story with a happy ending.  About  10 years ago our CO detector alarmed.  I, foolishly, assumed it was a false alarm and re-set it.  It alarmed again.  I called the fire dept.  They came and measured CO with their fancy detector.  It was indeed elevated.   Fire dept cleared the house, and called their gas guy, who condemned the furnace.  This is when I learned that CO detectors (and smoke detectors) expire -- and that every single on in our house was beyond expiry.  Fire department took all our expired ones and set us up with fresh loaners until we could get ours replaced. We were lucky that the CO detector still worked.   Now we have 4 dual CO and smoke detectors, plus a wall plug in CO detector, and I check the expiry dates.

The only one of us with any symptoms was me; I had a tiny bit of nausea.  Enough to prompt me to take a pregnancy test, but not enough to otherwise get my attention.  In retrospect, it was a symptom of mild CO poisoning.

• Like 14

I have to teach a chemistry class tomorrow (8 week program) to kids ages 9-12, PS kids, Homeschool kids, Private school kids. I love having a mix. It is at the library. Since day one is atoms and molecules, introduction to the periodic table, I am going to do a not too scary but cautionary tale about how what appears to be harmless atoms can bond to become something dangerous and talk about CO. Tell them how I felt when I woke up, what the hospital said, and encourage them to ask their mums and dads if the batteries in their detectors have been checked recently or if the models they have are really old and have been checked to make sure they still work.

We will build a CO molecule with toothpicks, and gumdrops, and then go from there. We were going to build a whole bunch of molecules, but this is one time when chemistry reminds everyone how much we need to be careful of gasses becoming concentrated. Later I am teaching 8 weeks of plant science, so I am going to do a whole unit on trees and moss, CO2 sequestration. Then we are going to wander around the township library property which has numerous oaks and maples, and talk about what those trees do for our environment and oxygen levels. It is good to give them a visual that depending on tree species, old growth forest trees, etc. it takes an average of 6-9 trees to produce the required oxygen for just one person.

I now need a nap I think. I might wander down to my mom's house where I can avail myself of the couch while we let it air out more. It isn't quite warm enough yet to throw a blanket on the ground and sleep. The ground is still pretty cold.

• Like 11

When we moved my MIL here (about 600 mile trip), she had packed their CO detector in a box. We had a rental car with all sorts of bells and whistles that were new to us. Less than 20 minutes into the trip with all her boxed good packed into the rental SUV, we started hearing an every 30 second beep - which we assumed was some sort of alert from the car. We read the manual. We googled. We thought about stopping at a dealership for help. We did think it was really strange that the beeping continued even when the rental was shut off and parked. 

So, 600 miles later, and slightly frazzled, my DH unpacked all those boxes and found one beeping CO detector with a low battery. It's funny now, but it was not funny then. Every 30 seconds - annoying beep - always there - always beeping. 

So, useful device, but not if you are moving and it has a low battery. I'm actually sorta impressed it could keep beeping for so long. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Bambam said:

When we moved my MIL here (about 600 mile trip), she had packed their CO detector in a box. We had a rental car with all sorts of bells and whistles that were new to us. Less than 20 minutes into the trip with all her boxed good packed into the rental SUV, we started hearing an every 30 second beep - which we assumed was some sort of alert from the car. We read the manual. We googled. We thought about stopping at a dealership for help. We did think it was really strange that the beeping continued even when the rental was shut off and parked. 

So, 600 miles later, and slightly frazzled, my DH unpacked all those boxes and found one beeping CO detector with a low battery. It's funny now, but it was not funny then. Every 30 seconds - annoying beep - always there - always beeping. 

So, useful device, but not if you are moving and it has a low battery. I'm actually sorta impressed it could keep beeping for so long. 

I had a smoke detector expire one night - always at night, why at night? Anyway, I took it down and went to the hardware store the next day. The errands overlapped lunch so I took the dc into a fast food joint for lunch. When we came out the expired alarm was alarming LOUDLY on the passenger seat. There was some poor guy who had parked next to me peering into the car trying to figure out what was going on. I was so embarrassed, I don't know why, and I still don't understand why it did that.

Just checked my CO monitor, It's got a few more years in it.

• Haha 4

2 hr ish nap. I feel a lot better. Lewis and I slept on my mom's couch with the windows open, and this afternoon turned very breezy. He cuddled with me under blanket with our heads out. I swear I was literally craving fresh air. Very primal. I am now finally at home, but told Mark I don't think my mental can handle closing the windows tonight even though I know the propane is shut off at the valve outside and this cannot happen again. So we are going to leave every window opened a crack since it is only going to get down to 41. I would convert that to C for our non US boardies, but I don't seem to have the energy. 

Mark bought lamb and veggie shishkabobs at the store after he bought the new detector, so he is going to throw them on the grill outside. I am thankful not to be considering any kind of kitchen cooking tonight. 

Thanks everyone! As always the Hive is wonderful!

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh, and because my brain is in a fog. I was using C03, but really it's just CO. Kind of embarrassing on an education board, and as person who has taught chemistry in the past.

My mistake.

I caught that and immediately ascribed it to brain fog! I remember how difficult thinking was when I had a concussion; anything that impacts our brain makes thinking hard (shocking correlation,  isn't that 🤔 😐)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bambam said:

Our experience is that the detectors could beep for three days before the 9V battery finally run dry. We have a few so delayed buying a new 9V battery until the weekend when one of the detector’s battery was low.

Very scary! I'm glad your bladder woke you up and you are all on the mend now.

Some family friends had a similar experience last winter and lived (it was a matter of minutes) to tell the tale. 

We have smoke/CO detectors in every bedroom and in the hall outside of the bedrooms on both floors. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yikes!  

I just checked and apparently both our carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are all dead, so I should really do something about that.

Please do. I am still dragging. Definitely not in any danger, but it is not fun, and we had the happy ending story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Please do. I am still dragging. Definitely not in any danger, but it is not fun, and we had the happy ending story.

The half life of CO in the blood on room air is long, so I’m not surprised. Receiving pure oxygen brings it down much more quickly, but obviously too late for that. Your dd was right to push that. I agree with @sassenach that after the severity of symptoms you describe, I would have wanted some information about how my heart was faring. 

Glad everyone is okay. You might consider cardiac and possibly neurology followup (had you been severe enough to lose consciousness, I would say definitely on that).

FYI I am late to the party but completely having a crisis here over an ER telling you not to come and all they came give you is oxygen.

Like I’m having actual chest pains over this.

if anyone suspects carbon monoxide poisoning call 911. The fire department will come out and tell you if you have CO in your residence. If you do and you have symptoms, go to the hospital. Do not get clothes, do not stop for McDonald’s, do not pass go. Go to the ED. Get a blood gas.  There is treatment beyond oxygen based on your levels and you are unable to make rational decisions if in fact you have carbon monoxide poisoning. You may be transferred to a hyperbaric chamber. You need follow up. You need repeated bloodwork and assessment to look for cardiac and neuro damage.

signed, an ornery paramedic program director who has seen too many people who never woke up from carbon monoxide in the last 20 years, including my husband’s own first cousin.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 11

I hope you are feeling better today. I thought about you last night when I was lying down to go to sleep. I’ve always been paranoid about CO poisoning. Once, in my super anxiety years I took my own detector to a ski house we rented! 
I hope you will get some follow up and everything is ok with all of you. 

On 2/27/2024 at 8:50 AM, Faith-manor said:

And they have this new, nifty thing. It is like a hand held pulse ox except that it detects CO level in the skin or blood vessels or something and gives them a baseline. If that is worrisome, then they do the more invasive. Ours came back fine. We were already coming out of it.

If I’m doing the math right, this was something like at least 5 hours after exposure ended? The concern would be what damage might have happened to your heart and brain when your levels were high enough that you could hardly move and stumble out of the house. 

On 2/27/2024 at 8:50 AM, Faith-manor said:

we just can't rack up a $7500 admission or $500 blood gas test a piece just to be told "no worries"

On 2/27/2024 at 7:45 AM, Faith-manor said:

every hour in the ER is $900

Do you have health insurance? If not, I see your pain and tough decisions. If so, this is exactly the kind of situation you have it for. I also wanted to add, in case the “$900 an hour” thing scared anyone reading off using the ER that I have never once had an ER visit (of which our family has unfortunately had many) that was charged hourly, nor do they calculate out to be $900 an hour (though depending on what’s done, certainly a short visit could have someone paying what calculates out to more than $900 per hour. It just depends on the procedures done and care received while there). 

How are you feeling today? 

eta: I’m another this has been a good psa for. We have CO2 detectors throughout our house, but we haven’t tested them in forever. That’s on the plan for today. 

Edited by KSera
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, KSera said:

Do you have health insurance? If not, I see your pain and tough decisions. If so, this is exactly the kind of situation you have it for. I also wanted to add, in case the “$900 an hour” thing scared anyone reading off using the ER that I have never once had an ER visit (of which our family has unfortunately had many) that was charged hourly, nor do they calculate out to be $900 an hour (though depending on what’s done, certainly a short visit could have someone paying what calculates out to more than $900 per hour. It just depends on the procedures done and care received while there). 

How are you feeling today? 

When a family member went to the ER recently she had to pay $1700 just to be seen, before they even touched her.  That’s with insurance.  It really sucks, but this is the reality for so many people. 

Sometimes it is necessary though, and I do think this is one of those times.  

Edited by Heartstrings

In the last 12 months I dealt with an er visit that started with a 7 hour wait in the lobby, ended inconclusively, and cost me $7,000 out of pocket after insurance. Everything was in network. So it can happen.

But KSera is right, that's why we have insurance. I'm glad to read these medically knowledgeable responses, because I would be one to blow off a medical follow up in this kind of situation.

Yikes! I don’t think we’ve ever paid more than around $1200 (if that) for an ED visit, and that is with a variety of different high deductible plans. We always meet our deductible, it’s just a matter of when and how, so it’s not a bigger deal than any other care. We basically buy the equivalent of a decent used car each year, sigh, but once we hit the deductible, it’s not a big thing.

• Like 1