Menu

Does anyone use paper boarding passes?

gardenmom5

Dh refuses to have his email on his phone.  He refuses to allow me to put the airline app on his phone.

he wants paper copies of everything - of his boarding pass, his spot saver (shorter TSA line for specific airlines and flights), and his car rental . . . . I'm being paranoid about him doing the luggage tags . . just ask questions of employees, they'll help . . 

which means, come monday, I get to check him in from my computer, and the airline employee  at the counter will need to print him a boarding pass.  (he's staying with a cousin)

I've only very rarely seen people with paper boarding passes going through TSA  

I do everything through the app, but I also have email on my phone.  (besides, I need it for Amazon returns . . . )

Well my spouse was on business travel this week and was able to print out a boarding pass at home.  He uses his phone but likes to have a one as back up.  It must not be that uncommon.  

I've been using the phone/apps for a few years at this point.  

• Like 4

re DIY paper boarding passes

26 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I just flew today with a paper boarding pass. I checked in at the kiosk when I got to the airport and it printed my luggage tag and my boarding pass. Then I went to the desk and gave them my ID and my luggage. That was American. 

If it's crazy-making for you, I'd do this. Just give him the locator number of his ticket -- send a text, give him a wadded up piece of paper with it handwritten with a ball point pen, write in on his inner arm with a sharpie, whatever.  And he get his own paper boarding pass at the kiosk.  It's **particularly** easy-peasy if you're not checking bags, and easy enough even if you do have bags.

I have no problem with tickets / car rentals / electronic hotel keys etc on the phone, but as it **can** happen that phones run out of battery or otherwise fail us, I do always have a 1 page printed schedule with with all the confirmation numbers and addresses of all the places. That might be the way to meet him halfway?

• Like 2

At most airports, a boarding pass can be printed at a kiosk without having to see an agent.  Although I have the airline Apps on my phone, I still like to have a paper boarding pass, and on many international flights they have been printed whether I  have wanted them or not.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Would it sway him to know his electronic boarding pass automatically updates if the gate for your connecting flight changes?  I love that feature.

No.  Won't sway him at all.

Good to remember he can print it when he prints his luggage tag. He has the confirmation code. 

I haven't used a printed boarding pass for years.  If we travel together,  I have his boarding pass on my phone too.

7 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Last international flight, I was required to check in at the desk even though I already had checked in online and had electronic boarding pass ( and print) and the agent printed me new ones at the desk.

Were you coming into Schengen zone from outside (ie had to do a visa/passport check) or did you have secondary security screening? I am trying to figure out the rhyme & reason of this based on our most recent travel experiences. 

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We’ve been electronic only for quite a while. We travel with external batteries so our phones dying isnt an issue. I usually keep everyone’s boarding cards on my phone, in my apple wallet, and screenshot the boarding pass as well. My greater worry is the app crashing…

That’s what my DH does. He never carries paper, but has backups on the phone and multiple battery back ups. He’s never had an issue. I just feel better with a paper back up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

Last international flight, I was required to check in at the desk even though I already had checked in online and had electronic boarding pass ( and print) and the agent printed me new ones at the desk.

We had to do this as well.  They check that passports and visas (in our case) are in place too.

We also print paper copies as back-up for local flights, car rentals, hotel bookings, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

When I travel with my kids we use paper because they don’t all have phones. 

I flew with 5 kids April of 22 and I just scanned all of them with my phone.  Just swiped over for each of them and we all stood together and then boarded together. It wasn't a problem.  I flew in September of this year with one child and I did the same thing. I never even thought to be worried that it wouldn't work 😬 it would have kept me up at night if I had 🤣

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

I flew with 5 kids April of 22 and I just scanned all of them with my phone.  Just swiped over for each of them and we all stood together and then boarded together. It wasn't a problem.  I flew in September of this year with one child and I did the same thing. I never even thought to be worried that it wouldn't work 😬 it would have kept me up at night if I had 🤣

This is what we do too. If there is a security barrier, I just make sure to scan my pass last as I am opening it for everyone in my group. We’ve had 8 flights and countless trains in the last month, no problems.

• Like 1

I don’t fly a lot, but I prefer paper, too.

This thread has been making me laugh though, because it reminded me of one of the Dr. Rick/Progressive Insurance Commercials. On one of them a while back, he was taking the people through the airport and paper tickets was absolutely a “no-no”. Those commercials crack me up because I see myself in every single on of them.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, busymama7 said:

It wouldn’t let me do that when I checked in online. I had to give a different email address for each person. I don’t have my kids emails on my phone. 

• Like 2

We always print paper boarding passes. You never know when your cell phone will poop out. Sometimes we use them, sometimes we don't. I like being able to shove them in my pocket and not have to get my cell phone out while going through TSA and boarding. We have had zero issues with them. Just print him out the confirmation info too. Also, take a screenshot of the boarding pass on your phone and send it to his phone. We always have screenshots in case cell reception is slow.

ETA: I take paper copies of everything when we travel...hotel reservations, car rental confirmations, entertainment tickets, etc.

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 2

re older travelers

2 hours ago, Lecka said:

My Mom did this until this summer.  She got a smart phone over the summer.  

Tons of older people do not have smart phones.

Oh there is NO  WAY my 85 year old mother is EVER going to consent to a boarding pass on a PHONE. The very idea is hilarious.  Not.going.to.happen.

(She HAS a smart phone, but its primary purpose is so she can text us pictures of her dangling camera strap, thumb, shoe, etc.)

So when she's traveling with us, I 100% print out paper boarding passes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

We still use paper.  My dh travels a LOT for business and is about as tech-savvy as they come, but if he has time, he will still print paper from a kiosk.  Grabbing a paper pass out of a pocket is way easier than juggling a phone app, that has to be opened and on the correct screen, while shuffling through the various checkpoints is just so much easier.  We still use the apps for gate changes and delays and even as passes if we arrive at the airport too late to print a pass. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Yesterday I saw people flying with paper passes. I don’t know how that worked when they decided every person‘s rolling carry-on had to be gate checked, and they used our phones to track the tags.

we've gate checked a number of times, and they have always included a printed luggage tag receipt for the flyer.  I just shove it in my purse.

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Some airline require paper, on some flights. We recently had to get paper tickets on a Ryanair flight.

It doesn't really matter either way, usually. I see people using both phone or paper all the time. 

interesting.

2 hours ago, Lecka said:

My Mom did this until this summer.  She got a smart phone over the summer.  

Tons of older people do not have smart phones.

Dh basically caved to get a smart phone for business. (he still works part-time/occasionally).  I originally had it on 'easy mode' for him.    He still carries around his paper schedule book he uses - he has gotten a new one every year since at least the mid 70s. even I cringe that his entire "phone book" is on an excel spreadsheet.  just use outlook!  you can put all of it in there. . . He'd have to learn how to use it, and then the information would have to be transferred.  and that's not happening unless i or one of the kids does it for him.

2 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

It wouldn’t let me do that when I checked in online. I had to give a different email address for each person. I don’t have my kids emails on my phone. 

did you do it through the website or through an app?  Just curious.  It could be an airline specific thing too.

13 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

re older travelers

Oh there is NO  WAY my 85 year old mother is EVER going to consent to a boarding pass on a PHONE. The very idea is hilarious.  Not.going.to.happen.

(She HAS a smart phone, but its primary purpose is so she can text us pictures of her dangling camera strap, thumb, shoe, etc.)

So when she's traveling with us, I 100% print out paper boarding passes.

dh finally broke down and got a smart phone maybe . . eight??? years ago??? - I don't think he's ever used the camera on it.   He was forced to get a smart phone and learn how to text because one of his business associates is always texting him.  I don't think I've actually seen a text sent by him (though he claims he knows how to text).  2dd and dsil much prefer to text than do email (I prefer dsil's pix . . he has a higher pixel count so they have more clarity). . . and now uber techie 1ds . . has declared he'd rather email, and states if you text him, he probably won't see it.

we've had to go through dh's phone on occasion and UNBLOCK phone numbers that he swears he didn't block,  . . but are in fact blocked.  And walked him through a few times so he can see how to check if something is blocked, and how to unblock it if it is.

probably not quite as bad as listening to 1sil's youngest (techie) son (who jumped on the iphone bandwagon the year they came out) grrrrring up a storm (while taking 1sil's name in vain) while closing a gazillion tabs on his mother's phone.

I would have his boarding pass on my airline phone app, so I never printed one when we traveled.  But did get the reminder upthread the boarding pass can be printed when the luggage tags are printed.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

Intersting. Even for minors? That seems so strange.  My 9 and 11 year olds don't have any need for an email yet so they don't have one.  Our tickets for both Southwest and allegiant were grouped as one itinerary.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Intersting. Even for minors? That seems so strange.  My 9 and 11 year olds don't have any need for an email yet so they don't have one.  Our tickets for both Southwest and allegiant were grouped as one itinerary.  

Yes, that’s what was required, even for minors. All one itinerary. I think this happened with American and Alaskan, but I’m not certain. I can’t recall whether I used the app or website. 

31 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

Yes, that’s what was required, even for minors. All one itinerary. I think this happened with American and Alaskan, but I’m not certain. I can’t recall whether I used the app or website. 

I fly alaska,  and my whole group is on my email. 

Everyone's boarding pass was on my phone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

Alaskan does not require this. We flew them a couple of weeks ago. We used my email for all of the bookings, and my phone had all of the passes. 

• Like 1

I do.  Every so often the wifi at an airport will fail and showing an online boarding pass can get iffy.  Plus what if my phone fails?  Having a printed boarding pass is a good way to reduce friction in my travel.  I travel at least 6-8 times per year on airplanes, and I value travel friction reduction.

I also put my handbag into a bulky totebag as my 'personal item'.  That way my handbag is not dirtied or anything, it's like it's in a sleeve, and I have more room for extras if needed.  When I arrive I have two bags, instantly, for no extra cost and not much extra weight.  Less friction, more ease.

I also pack all of my hanging clothes with hangers on them, folding them around my other stuff in a medium to large suitcase.  That way when I get to my hotel room, I flop back the tops of the hanging clothes, unpack everything else, and hang up the hanging clothes into the closet.  Takes like 5 minutes to unpack.  So easy!  

I carry an old empty water bottle in my personal item, and fill it at the gate with water if I can.  Then I have it for the remainder of the trip.  I ask for two cups of water or OJ every time they are offered, to stay hydrated.  They will give you one if you don't ask for more.  I also carry granola bars and Bonbel cheese ounces on flights, because they are filling and keep well.

Even in the summer I make sure I always have a sweater with me on the plane because sometimes when we are flying very high it gets extremely cold.  The heaters don't always keep up.  

Even if it looks like I'm going to miss a connecting flight, I keep going.  Sometimes they hold those flights longer than they say that they will.

Those are my main friction avoiding moves on airplanes.

PSA:  Some airlines won't take credit cards for in flight purchases anymore.  In that case, you have to have the airline app downloaded with a credit card loaded onto it to buy anything, even food.  I have not done this yet but I might have to.

• Like 2

We print boarding passes at home for the outgoing flight. For the return flight, we print at the airport kiosk. We also have the electronic boarding passes on our phones, but we like having the paper ones just in case. Plus, it is convenient to have the paper boarding pass and ID in hand while going through security. Also, phones can run out of power or otherwise malfunction. 

• Like 1

We use phones only. I screen shot everyone's boarding pass and they use that to check in. That way we don't need cell service or wifi. My carry-on suitcase has phone charging built in--a pocket for the charger inside and a usb connecter on the outside. I would prefer that on my backpack, though. All good so far. 

• Thanks 1

We were at the airport to get on a flight years ago, before we were savvy about using the apps to check in, when the airline that we were flying on had their site go down. Those of us with paper tickets/boarding passes were able to carry on, while those who had everything on their phones were stuck. I don't remember all the details of that, but was impressed at the time to always have a paper copy with me of at least the ticket, though we always use the phone for boarding now. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Alaskan does not require this. We flew them a couple of weeks ago. We used my email for all of the bookings, and my phone had all of the passes. 

I've had the same experience with Alaska - all passes have been on my phone.  I don't even have to be a passenger to book tickets for other people.

Pretty sure it's the same at American.  2dd lives in Texas and flies with toddlers.  it will be their airline miles card since that's where they're based.