Menu

What things do you call by weird names because of your children?

Drama Llama

I served deviled eggs this weekend.  Somehow this led to the big kids showing the 2 year old a cartoon devil and the 2 year has been talking about the “scary eggs” ever since.  He is not scared of them.  He thinks it’s hilarious.  I suspect this name will stick, and 30 years from now we will be serving scary eggs at his wedding.

What silly or cute things did your kids say that “stuck”?  Or is it just us that does this? 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Not "yellow pocket angel eggs?" 😁 

We call a weekly pill box a Smitwitfus because DS tried to read the letters on the first one he had and asked us "What's a smitwitfus?"

My kids called deviled eggs “angel eggs” as we couldn’t have any devil things.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

“Flying cheese” because you can throw American cheese slices across the room like a frisbee. 

We call it plasti-cheese because it's wrapped in plastic and tastes like plastic.  Dh will throw down in defense of his craft slices and insists they are necessary for burgers.  Our home was split 50-50 over this cheese.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

Farts are called “poop noise” although I think maybe my DH coined that one. 

For a long time all meat was called chicken - whatever. Chicken-fish. Chicken-steak. 

My kids called them "bottom burps" but it hasn't really stuck.  

We did call ice cream "sa" for a long time, because that's what my oldest called it.  

• Like 2

Yoga pants are yogurt pants. DD seriously thought yoga pants were called yogurt pants, to the point that whenever she was eating yogurt she needed to wear her yogurt pants.

Balloons are bilooloolooloons depending on how excited DS was there would be more or less 'loo's.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, saraha said:

I thought of another one, sprinkle cheese! I actually, without thinking, asked a waiter at a pizza place for sprinkle cheese once, instead of Parmesan. My whole family looked up at me like I was nuts, then burst out laughing.

We call it shakey cheese!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

“Flying cheese” because you can throw American cheese slices across the room like a frisbee. 

I will have to buy American cheese and ambush one of the kids when they come home one day. 

Yes, I will. Just ask any of my kids. Or my husband. Or anyone who knows me Irl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, saraha said:

I thought of another one, sprinkle cheese! I actually, without thinking, asked a waiter at a pizza place for sprinkle cheese once, instead of Parmesan. My whole family looked up at me like I was nuts, then burst out laughing.

We use "sprinkle cheese" too except it means any kind of shredded cheese. lol

7 hours ago, Clarita said:

Yoga pants are yogurt pants. DD seriously thought yoga pants were called yogurt pants, to the point that whenever she was eating yogurt she needed to wear her yogurt pants.

My kid once asked me “are you doing your yogurt?” when I was doing yoga.  So now I will say “I need to do my yogurt.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, saraha said:

We call it snow.

When the boys were little, I would sprinkle it on and say, "It's snowing!" and it stuck.   We still call parmesan cheese snow, even if it doesn't come out of a sprinkle jar (we typically buy the real stuff now and grate it ourselves.)

Normie Bread.

Youngest ds was almost 4 when he stepped foot in the states for the first time and everything freaked him out, especially American sandwich bread.  He thought it was awful - the texture, the smell, the taste....no part of it appealed to him.  We tried to explain that this was what people eat here and it was normal bread for lunchtime, as opposed to a roll or square of ciabatta.  He wasn't having it, but the name Normie Bread stuck as a grocery item list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, EKS said:

Bizangna for lasagna 

Corners for corn

Wow-wow for pacifier, though at the moment we don't have much reason to use the word pacifier!

That reminds me! Dd20 called her pacifier her “ohm”. The first time she asked for her ohm we couldn’t figure out what she wanted and she started to cry, so dh went to put her pacifier in her mouth he made the sound “ohm” while sticking it in and the lightbulb went off. She called it her ohm till she outgrew it.