Menu

Be grumpy! What do you think should be phased out?

bookbard

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/13/2023 at 5:51 AM, Hyacinth said:

Not nearly as significant as other well-articulated rants in this thread, but I’m saying it anyway:

Crocs. Particularly on grownups. Get some real shoes, man. 

Because of my disability Crocs are one of the few shoes I can wear now and luckily I am old enough to not care if I am being judged for it although I seriously doubt many people see me trudging along with my walker and focus on my shoes. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cintinative said:

Fees for paying municipal bills (sewer/water) online  even by e-check when there is no fee for paying by paper check. This makes no sense whatsoever. A paper check probably costs them more labor to process.  I feel like it's an extra tax of sorts they are introducing. 

That's crazy!

So many of the above.

Political signs in neighborhood yards. And/or when they stay up months and years past the election.

Single use plastic. Excessive plastic packaging.

Bad coffee. In fact, all coffee that’s not fair trade, shade grown, bird friendly. 

Not everyone will agree here, that’s fine: the school schedule with younger kids starting later and older kids starting earlier and earlier. Usually, teens sleep later, younger kids naturally get up earlier. This feels backwards. (That said, not my kids — DS is a super early riser, he never fit the mold.)

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Spryte said:

So many of the above.

Political signs in neighborhood yards. And/or stay up months and years past the election.

Bad coffee. In fact, all coffee that’s not fair trade, shade grown, bird friendly. 

Not everyone will agree here, that’s fine: the school schedule with younger kids starting later and older kids starting earlier and earlier. Usually, teens sleep later, younger kids naturally get up earlier. This feels backwards. (That said, not my kids — DS is a super early riser, he never fit the mold.)

The rationale for earlier high school has to do with after school sports and teens having jobs.   I get it, but at the same time, I agree with you, teens should start later.

And yes to bad coffee!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

The rationale for earlier high school has to do with after school sports and teens having jobs.   I get it, but at the same time, I agree with you, teens should start later.

And yes to bad coffee!

Oh, I know the rationale.

That doesn’t mean I think it’s optimal or the healthiest choice for our kids.

I’m just being grumpy about it, like the thread title. 

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Spryte said:

So many of the above.

Political signs in neighborhood yards. And/or stay up months and years past the election.

My town just rolled this change with a new bus company in during a severe bus driver shortage and it has been an absolute disaster. It seriously interferes with the bus drivers being able to do double runs. Everyone is late. They had to expand the walking zone to two miles. Everything that could go wrong HAS gone wrong. 

Securing an extra 45 minutes sleep for older teens has been a community wide disaster. Due to Bus Math, many high schoolers aren’t even getting that extra sleep and now the little kids are going to be at dark bus stops. The chaos has more parents driving, which makes ALL the traffic worse. It’s almost November and they haven’t quite worked it all out. It’s been a high drama situation. It turned out that just swapping start times was not that simple when you aren’t swapping even numbers. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clarita said:

Along the QR code lines, I hate having to download an app just to order food. I know it's because I want to order ahead online, but it bugs me that instead of a regular web interface I have to download an app. 

Especially because we all know apps are less regulated than web sites and collect more personal data, so this is clearly a data grab.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I think if school started later, they'd move more sports practices before school, and a lot of kids (and their parents) wouldn't wake up for that.  So I think I prefer the way it is (though I wouldn't mind an extra half hour or so!)

It's not ideal, for sure.

I hate mornings anyway.  But I'm kinda glad my kids have an institutional reason why they have to get up whether they want to or not.  Otherwise they'd sleep forever ... and rather than benefit from extra sleep, they'd just stay up all night.  And I'm pretty sure my kids aren't the only ones.  😛

• Thanks 1

I agree with most things mentioned here. But I haven’t heard this mentioned…

Car fobs that don’t have a key that goes in the ignition! I positively hate them. There is NO advantage at all. My dh has one of these for his car. He throws the fob in the cupholder (or wherever) and then forgets about it because when you turn the car off, there is nothing in your hand to remind you to remove it from the car!

Edited by Amethyst
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2023 at 9:40 AM, Faith-manor said:

I hate to say it, but probably gift wrap and Christmas cards. 1 billion Christmas cards are thrown away each year and 2.3 million tons of wrapping paper.

That is a lot of waste. Maybe whiteboard style reusable Christmas cards could become a thing. People can read the message, wipe it off, and then send it to someone else with a new message, round and round they go. Fabric gift bags that get used forever would be good. I did make fabric gift bags for our kids, used cheap Wal-Mart quality fabric. Over the years, I have occasionally repaired a seam, but otherwise, they have been the energizer bunnies of gift wrap.

I don't do Christmas cards, except to a couple of people.  People we do not see or talk to send them to us--I think they are an old-fashioned way of doing social media, to make your life look perfect, lol.  

School sports. Really all sports for children and teens. So many lifelong injuries occur and so much drama with parents and coaches. Especially American football at all levels can so go. It’s a huge money suck that could be used for ACTUAL academics which is what school is supposed to be about.

Digital textbooks. Worse thing ever, IMO. One of mine considered public high school until he found out they used all ebooks.

Halloween- who was it that said we spend do much time teaching our kids not to accept things from strangers then have a month really encouraging it? I hate the candy, decor, movies, costumes- the whole bit.

And I agree with so much else said before.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

School sports. Really all sports for children and teens. So many lifelong injuries occur and so much drama with parents and coaches. Especially American football at all levels can so go. It’s a huge money suck that could be used for ACTUAL academics which is what school is supposed to be about.

Digital textbooks. Worse thing ever, IMO. One of mine considered public high school until he found out they used all ebooks.

Halloween- who was it that said we spend do much time teaching our kids not to accept things from strangers then have a month really encouraging it? I hate the candy, decor, movies, costumes- the whole bit.

I feel like the whole tablet thing might still be a bit of an experiment. I haven't looked for any studies.  I still prefer books!

5 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Car fobs that don’t have a key that goes in the ignition! I positively hate them. There is NO advantage at all. My dh has one of these for his car. He throws the fob in the cupholder (or wherever) and then forgets about it because when you turn the car off, there is nothing in your hand to remind you to remove it from the car!

My car makes an annoying noise if I try to lock it when the fob is still in there and won't lock.  I never take it out of my bag for that reason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

Totally agree! And each book company has its own interface, so you have to sign up for different accounts for different publishers, and it just is annoying to have to log into so many things with MFA just to attend to schoolwork.  On top of that, some of the interfaces are awful.  *Looking at you current Excel course.*

• Like 3

On 10/14/2023 at 4:41 PM, dirty ethel rackham said:

Ads for anti-aging products that use models who look like 12 wearing their mommy's shoes.  Yeah, if they need to use models that young, then they must not have much confidence in their products. 😄

Or a face full of fillers and botox.  No judgment (I get a little dysport/similar to botox), but it's also not "real."  

• Like 2

On 10/14/2023 at 10:19 AM, Faith-manor said:

I think we should phase out party buses because every year our neighbor hires one for his college age kids, and then the whole town is up til 3 am from the noise and chaos.

My Quilter's Guild in AZ was mostly elderly female retirees.  They hired a party bus to the Road to CA quilt/trade show every year.  They drank the whole way there, sexually harassed male wait staff, bought quilting stuff, looked at award winning quilts, stayed in the hotel, and drank the whole way back.  It was not your granny's sewing circle.

It was legendary-I never went, but I have to admit I was spectacle curious.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2023 at 9:52 PM, Ginevra said:

Fightin’ words!!!

Sugar maples! Apple picking! Butternut squash soup! Pumpkin pie! Boots and sweaters! Yellow leaves against a robins-egg-blue October sky! Perfect hiking weather! Cuddling under a blanket! Flannel! Hand-knit scarves! Apple cider! 

Im pretty sure I would die without fall.

I'm in Texas. We don't get any of that stuff.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 10/13/2023 at 9:46 AM, ShepCarlin said:

Watching videos on your phone without headphones. Particularly in waiting rooms. Just, why? Why do you think we want to hear the video you are watching?

My new cell phone, which I loathe, only allows bluetooth ear buds/headphones. That's a PITA. So that's why. Although surely they should understand how rude it is to do that, so they should bring a book instead. But still...I hate not having a choice. I can't use most things that fit inside my ears; my ears are just not shaped right or something. So I need the big ol' things that cover my ears like ear muffs, which are pricey. ::heavy sigh::

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ellie said:

My new cell phone, which I loathe, only allows bluetooth ear buds/headphones. That's a PITA. So that's why. Although surely they should understand how rude it is to do that, so they should bring a book instead. But still...I hate not having a choice. I can't use most things that fit inside my ears; my ears are just not shaped right or something. So I need the big ol' things that cover my ears like ear muffs, which are pricey. ::heavy sigh::

They do make bluetooth headphones at many different price ranges. Just google it and you will find many.

5 hours ago, Ellie said:

Is it an iPhone? If so, all you need is an inexpensive adapter to use plug in ear phones. DH has used this adapter for years.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ellie said:

Decent bluetooth headphones run $50 at the most. I have some that were about $35.  

23 hours ago, Spryte said:

Oh, I know the rationale.

That doesn’t mean I think it’s optimal or the healthiest choice for our kids.

I’m just being grumpy about it, like the thread title. 

Adding that the optimal and healthiest schedules for teens also do not involve them being loaded with school hours, homework assignments and activities that require them to rise at dawn and not go to sleep until midnight after midnight. One of my college kids told me just yesterday that she doesn’t know how she made it through high school with those kinds of demands on her time and energy. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

A little bit pricey, but does not go in or over ears at all, are bone conducting headphones that sit in front of the ear.

https://www.amazon.com/Shokz-OpenRun-Conduction-Headphones-Built/dp/B09BW1QVVT/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=M36PF0LMJX7B&keywords=shokz+openrun&qid=1697467010&sprefix=shokz%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

I love mine.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Thanks 1

Just had to deal with this issue again- AI phone assistance------absolutely useless, probably 95% of the time.  They are only for simple issues you can almost always find on the website, so they are designed for dumbbells.  I don't call for easily found answers.  This latest one was Tricare Express Scripts decided to use 2-step verification, but the first time it had to be to your email address on file- which in my case was Yahoo, and their idiotic system wasn't set up to email Yahoo addresses.  

And the reason I usually call is because they have a major problem that their computer testers (if they employ any) missed, or their website isn't working correctly, or they simply don't have the necessary info on the website.

This brings me to this wow group of Corporate Executives who think we will all have our jobs taken over by AI by 2030. (one of today's headlines)>  I think they don't understand how limited AI actually is.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Is it an iPhone? If so, all you need is an inexpensive adapter to use plug in ear phones. DH has used this adapter for years.

No. It's a Motorola Edge (Android). I'm getting rid of it ASAP, because it has other things I abhor. But there surely are adaptors for Android. I should check into that. In general, I like Bluetooth; I just can't wear earbuds...

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 1

The weather is making me super grouchy.  The summer was miserable.  Either it was too smoky and the air quality too bad to go outside, it was too hot to be outdoors safely, or it was torrential thunderstorms.  We really had about four days of reasonable weather.

I was hopeful for a good autumn. But apple picking was cancelled because there was a night in late May where it was unseasonably and unusually cold and a frost killed most of the apple crop.  The Halloween events have been cancelled because it has rained every single weekend and is forecasted to rain for the next few weeks.  My kids have spent more times on screens this year than ever and I much prefer us to be a mostly outdoors, low screen family.

It’s a stupid thing to be grumpy about, but I’m grumpy about it.

• Sad 7

On 10/13/2023 at 4:13 AM, wisdomandtreasures said:

The new phenomenon of people thinking that because they recently learned about something, they can write an "ebook" (aka polish up a few blog posts, put them into a PDF and claim it's 100 pages but the margins are huge and lines are double-spaced), or start a podcast about whatever the subject is. 

There's a gal whom I have helped for the last 4 years or so as she started her homeschool journey. She recently put a booklet on Amazon for $20, and the preview shows copy/paste of posts and messages from me as well as a few other parents. That's all she did - not even her own ideas or words. Yet those who don't know who she is think she has answers galore. They seem to miss the glaring fact that the introduction to this booklet (which she wrote herself) is vastly different in writing style, grammar and spelling (oy...her skills are horrifically lacking) than the rest of the booklet.

• Sad 9

While online ticket buying has some advantages, I really miss the ease of just walking up and buying a ticket. All of the apps, digital documents, and website crashes are driving me crazy. I tried to book a hotel room last night and it took me 1.5 hours because the website kept crashing at the payment window.  What I REALLY hate is when there is no customer service at all—the automated waiting queue that hangs up on you an hour in. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2023 at 3:00 PM, Ting Tang said:

I feel like the whole tablet thing might still be a bit of an experiment. I haven't looked for any studies.  I still prefer books!

I overheard a conversation between two librarians a few years back. They were discussing how adults like ebooks but the kids always ask for "a real book" when offered an ebook. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BakersDozen said:

There's a gal whom I have helped for the last 4 years or so as she started her homeschool journey. She recently put a booklet on Amazon for $20, and the preview shows copy/paste of posts and messages from me as well as a few other parents. That's all she did - not even her own ideas or words. Yet those who don't know who she is think she has answers galore. They seem to miss the glaring fact that the introduction to this booklet (which she wrote herself) is vastly different in writing style, grammar and spelling (oy...her skills are horrifically lacking) than the rest of the booklet.

far out, did she really put your private emails into a book and sell it?!? that's shocking!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

The Halloween events have been cancelled because it has rained every single weekend and is forecasted to rain for the next few weeks

That would be miserable, I can't imagine cancelling that far ahead of time.  This year besides Harvest Parties at churches,  a public school is putting on a Trunk or Treat event. People can sign up to have a table to pass out candy, trinkets...I suppose something like this could be in a school gym if too wet outside.  Churches did this when the kids were young and there were bean bag toss type games to win candy, etc. Is it too late to bring this idea to your area? 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 9:32 AM, Amethyst said:

The car doesn't beep wildly if you leave the keys inside? Mine do. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

She did - email messages, FB messages, and copy/paste of FB posts from me and some other "seasoned" homeschool moms. Presents it in her booklet as her own advice.

Not cool. I'd threaten her with a lawsuit. Not that I'd follow through, but this is unacceptable and should have consequences. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, bookbard said:

that's what the thread is for! go be grumpy. Very sad about the loss of the apple crop though, I hope they were insured. 

It was all the local orchards. Everyone lost most of their apple crop and the vineyards lost much of their grape harvest.  They blossomed early because of 80 degree days in April and then died when it frosted in mid May.  the larger operations were insured but the small family orchards and vineyards really took a hit.

I can complain for myself but truthfully it’s sad and has economically really hurt a lot of people.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2023/05/19/ny-wines-threatened-as-frost-damages-finger-lakes-grapes/70231666007/

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Shoeless said:

I overheard a conversation between two librarians a few years back. They were discussing how adults like ebooks but the kids always ask for "a real book" when offered an ebook. 

It's the eyes getting bad.

I prefer real books, but older adults in my life tell me that they can change the font on an ebook to one they can actually see. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, theelfqueen said:

The car doesn't beep wildly if you leave the keys inside? Mine do. 

No. It does not. You mean your car is turned off, and some how it senses that you are leaving the keys behind when you go inside the house? 

Edited by Amethyst