Menu

I hate feeling like a Karen. Carrie is close enough.

Carrie12345

I hate being a suspicious person. I am all kumbaya-benefit-of-the-doubt-leftist-love-humanity at a macro level, but I hate actual people.

Anyway, my street ends in a GIANT cul-de-sac, with only 2 secluded houses and woods on it. It was a hot spot for kids doing donuts (and other stuff) until we moved in, and now it rarely happens. Amazon drivers, trash collectors, and utility workers like to rest there. 🤨 And random people drive up and around for unknown reasons.

Dh and I were coming home yesterday and passed a car full of people with an out of state plate driving down slowly past our house.  
Just a bit ago, same car came circling slowly again. “Genius” Dh got in his car and followed them. They did some sketchy maneuvering with hazard lights and a fake out turn, and Dh quit tailing them. Before HE got back, they came around again!!!

I guess I’m not genuinely afraid, because I’m still sitting out here while my mentally unstable violent neighbor blares EDM from his deck, or maybe I just have an underdeveloped sense of fear, lol. But I do have my dog.

Anyway, why do people have to act all suspicious and weird, making me question their behavior??? Like, yeah, it’s a public road, but why creep on my house at least 3 times in 2 days?!?!

• Sad 1

If you call the nonemergency number for your police they would likely increase patrols in your area for a bit. Maybe long enough for that group to take their suspicious, weird activity to another venue. Who knows what is going through their minds, could be anything.

• Like 14

The last time I saw something like that, it was some out of towners who tried to break into a house on our street and were restrained by neighbors I had alerted while waiting for the police.  It was amazing to me that people would do something so obvious in broad daylight.  But I guess they were counting on nobody paying attention.  So, good for you, this does sound pretty suspicious.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When we were looking to move into this school district, we targeted some neighborhoods that we might like to live in, and I would drive slowly down the streets, looking at the homes to get a sense of the area. I would visit some neighborhoods multiple times. Maybe I seemed suspicious? But I was not nefarious.

It is good to be cautious, though.

• Like 6

When we were out of state doing job interviews we cruised several neighborhoods to get a feel for the area.  When we've gone back to visit places that we used to live, we've driven slowly past our former houses to show the kids.  My parents worry about getting lost and sometimes scope out a place that they need to go the day before so that they know how long it takes to get there.  I understand people being concerned, but if somebody had tailed us while we were driving I would have been a bit worried about that and might have tried to get away from them lest they be unstable.  But, I wouldn't have gone back after that.  

• Like 2

It's hard for me to get a sense of what they were doing that felt so menacing. I just can't picture the situation where I would get in my car and chase down someone random like that. Even if their behavior was unusual or mildly suspicious, it feels like asking for trouble. Like, what was the endgame on that supposed to be? I'm way more disturbed by your dh's actions than the people in the car driving past.

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, Farrar said:

It's hard for me to get a sense of what they were doing that felt so menacing. I just can't picture the situation where I would get in my car and chase down someone random like that. Even if their behavior was unusual or mildly suspicious, it feels like asking for trouble. Like, what was the endgame on that supposed to be? I'm way more disturbed by your dh's actions than the people in the car driving past.

This. Also, like Storygirl, I did this multiple times while house hunting. My Nextdoor feed is full of people who think this kind of reaction is normal and are usually armed.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

I have been a person where I don’t belong. Looking at houses when relocating, teaching my teens to drive, driving babies around trying to get them to sleep, wasting time while my kids are in activities, scoping out directions to a place I will have to drive another day, previewing a drive my newly driving teen will make. Once I took a crazy drive following a Find my Friends mystery location of one my teens I was suspicious of (it took me to a random house. I don’t know why. My kid was at school where he was supposed to be but I was the suspicious one!)

I never realized how my actions were likely interpreted until I moved to where the neighbors are constantly reporting these sorts of things. I grew up in an urban area and public roads were public. Even cul de sacs. I was just clueless and I guess I am lucky I was never confronted by a homeowner. Now I warn my kids not to do those things because people get really nervous. 

I do get why it is suspicious and am more wary of such things now. But I just still tend to think there can be an innocent even if annoying explanation.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I hate being a suspicious person. I am all kumbaya-benefit-of-the-doubt-leftist-love-humanity at a macro level, but I hate actual people.

Anyway, my street ends in a GIANT cul-de-sac, with only 2 secluded houses and woods on it. It was a hot spot for kids doing donuts (and other stuff) until we moved in, and now it rarely happens. Amazon drivers, trash collectors, and utility workers like to rest there. 🤨 And random people drive up and around for unknown reasons.

Dh and I were coming home yesterday and passed a car full of people with an out of state plate driving down slowly past our house.  
Just a bit ago, same car came circling slowly again. “Genius” Dh got in his car and followed them. They did some sketchy maneuvering with hazard lights and a fake out turn, and Dh quit tailing them. Before HE got back, they came around again!!!

I guess I’m not genuinely afraid, because I’m still sitting out here while my mentally unstable violent neighbor blares EDM from his deck, or maybe I just have an underdeveloped sense of fear, lol. But I do have my dog.

Anyway, why do people have to act all suspicious and weird, making me question their behavior??? Like, yeah, it’s a public road, but why creep on my house at least 3 times in 2 days?!?!

I hate to mention this, but could the woods at the end of your street be a known meeting place for random sexual hookups? I knew someone many years ago who had something like that happen on her rural cul-de-sac. At that time, it was apparently widely known in the gay community as a place to go for casual hookups with strangers (in their vehicles or in the woods,) and the vehicles came from many different states, so it was assumed that truckers had helped spread the word. 

I hope that's not the case in your neighborhood, but you might want to report suspicious activity to the police and see if they can add some extra patrols for a while.

When I was teaching my daughter how to do y turns, we found this perfect street. No traffic, nice straight curbs, only a couple of parked cars, so we did a y turn at one end, drive the block, y turn at the other end, back and forth because she needed tons of practice to feel confident, and the someone came out of their house and flagged us down and asked if we were lost because we kept driving by, my daughter was mortified, I found it hilarious. Nothing nefarious about our slow cruising by, just a nervous teen, learning how to drive.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

When I was teaching my daughter how to do y turns, we found this perfect street. No traffic, nice straight curbs, only a couple of parked cars, so we did a y turn at one end, drive the block, y turn at the other end, back and forth because she needed tons of practice to feel confident, and the someone came out of their house and flagged us down and asked if we were lost because we kept driving by, my daughter was mortified, I found it hilarious. 

Don't you guys use L plates or anything to indicate a learner driver?

4 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

No. I put a magnet sign on the back of my kid’s car last time and plan to again but that is a me thing, not a requirement. I’m not trying to have my kid followed and shot for something stupid.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Some people put things on their car to give people a head's up, but it's not the norm and it's not required anywhere in the US.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This whole thread just makes me sad the more I think about it. It reminds me of all the people who have been killed for turning around in someone's driveway or going to the wrong address. Or of the case that was just settled where the men followed the teenage boys for turning around in their driveway and forced them out of the car at gunpoint. This mood where we're convinced that people driving on a quiet street are such a threat that we have to get in our cars and follow them around? Good grief. It's sad that this is what we've come to as a society on a widespread level. It's vigilantism and paranoia.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Farrar said:

This whole thread just makes me sad the more I think about it. It reminds me of all the people who have been killed for turning around in someone's driveway or going to the wrong address. Or of the case that was just settled where the men followed the teenage boys for turning around in their driveway and forced them out of the car at gunpoint. This mood where we're convinced that people driving on a quiet street are such a threat that we have to get in our cars and follow them around? Good grief. It's sad that this is what we've come to as a society on a widespread level. It's vigilantism and paranoia.

THIS. This isn’t funny or benign. It’s not cute or silly. Peoples lives, not frickin’ property(!!), are at risk.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

I hesitate to suggest following your gut when some people’s instincts are more controlled by fear based news than anything true or anything resembling intuition… but… I had a similar situation when I was in high school. I went to my mom’s house after school. I knew that because of sports practices I was probably the oldest person home in at least a few blocks in either direction. I was probably 15. And there was a suspicious car parked on the corner with two creepy guys in it, staring at all the kids getting off the bus. 

I called my mom at work and told her I didn’t know if I was being too suspicious but I had a bad feeling about it that wouldn’t go away. Idk if she called my dad or the dispatcher, but she got a call back. It turned out the men were there casing houses, they were both out on parole for burglary and armed robbery, and it was a violation of their parole to be together at all so they both went back to prison. I probably never would have worried if it wasn’t for the creepy way one of them was leering at a 4th grade girl. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

If you feel something, say something. I, myself had a run in with 30 or do teens that required NON- EMERGENCY LEO intervention while at work. The non-emergency line worked just fine for our professional needs.

Individuals driving down a street doesn’t meet that threshold. Everyone who rolls past your house doesn’t want your shit! It makes me grateful my dad is giving DS his old (white) CRV with untinted windows. So far, DS is a horrible driver and intimidating residents would make him freeze, tired, coming home from band. Y’all are my worst nightmare.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, livetoread said:

In my neighborhood it would be me driving very slowly to cheat at Pokemon Go. 

You’re lucky that’s all someone would assume. I know this is supposed to be lighthearted but people have lost their lives in this region behind these issues. That should not be ignored or brushed off b/c it’s uncomfortable.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

They did some sketchy maneuvering with hazard lights and a fake out turn

Because some creepy stranger was following them, lol. 

6 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Maybe one of them once lived in one of the houses. 

Maybe one or more of them used to hang out in those woods. 

Eh, who knows? Like you said, public road. 

This is the conversation I imagine going on in their car: 

Passenger: Why the heck did you turn on the hazards and make that turn?

Driver: Because that guy came out of his house and started following us! Why would he follow us and act all suspicious and weird? 

Passenger: Dude, he was probably just going to the grocery store and forgot his wallet. Drive back so I can see the XYZ . . . 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, katilac said:

Because some creepy stranger was following them, lol. 

Maybe one of them once lived in one of the houses. 

Maybe one or more of them used to hang out in those woods. 

Eh, who knows? Like you said, public road. 

This is the conversation I imagine going on in their car: 

Passenger: Why the heck did you turn on the hazards and make that turn?

Driver: Because that guy came out of his house and started following us! Why would he follow us and act all suspicious and weird? 

Passenger: Dude, he was probably just going to the grocery store and forgot his wallet. Drive back so I can see the XYZ . . . 

I love this version for you. My DS is going for his permit test next week.

Edited by Sneezyone

The suspicion is bad enough here that a few weeks ago someone posted on the community FB page that her dog had been let out at 6:00 a.m. and was gone. From her profile she appeared to be an older lady (not that that matters for this story). Someone had been working at her house the day before and had left a fence gate open that went unnoticed by everyone except the dog. An hour or so later someone else posted. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was very similar to: "Just a heads up. My MIL's [gave her name] dog is lost and I'm going to be driving around the area very slowly today looking for her. I'm driving a [thorough description of vehicle, which happened to be a pickup truck]. I have plenty of lawn mowers and weed eaters, I don't need yours. Just looking for [name of dog, which had been given in the original "lost" post.]" And we did see them go down our street at least twice, very slowly. And I would have wondered about it had I not read that post. But wondering is all I would have done.

But the thing is--our area is very safe. Sure there's occasional petty crime, but anything violent is extremely rare. And yet people (1) have enough guns and (2) are on edge enough that most people are wary of turning around in a driveway, and feel a need to make an announcement when they're looking for a lost dog. It's crazy.

That's not to say I wouldn't have been suspicious in the OP's case. I would have. But I would have just raised my alert meter a little, kept an extra eye up and down the street. That's all.

Edited by Pawz4me

7 hours ago, Farrar said:

And this is why I’m hating feeling like I’m feeling. Last evening, I wanted to dig into this deeper, but I wasn’t getting very far with myself and decided I needed to sleep on it.

I wish I could give more details about the location and why it’s especially weird, but I won’t. Like I said, I’m used to random vehicles stopping or joyriding. And even permit drivers, including my friend’s dd and my own. This was different from that.

And I absolutely DO NOT condone dh’s behavior if that wasn’t clear. A big part of our area crime is from groups of people coming from that license plate’s state and involving bullets. Which Dh doesn’t have. It was completely stupid in all aspects!

It is 100% possible I have some background paranoia going on. My property borders that of a person with a lot of police involvement, so I suppose I live “at attention” for things that seem off.

Regardless, my spidy senses were tingling. No, I don’t like that. But also, bad shpit does happen, so what do I do with that? I don’t know.

• Like 7

Also, when you comment about not wanting to be a Karen, it tells me that women have been shamed enough by society for the last few years that you are afraid to speak up. As women, we’ve been told to shut up and sit down, because we’re terrible people for daring to speak up. I’ve noticed just in the last week, in public, men ranting about stuff, where if women had done the same thing people would’ve been videotaping them and putting them on the Internet and calling them Karen. Just because your woman does not make your concerns invalid. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I get the conflict. I would probably have been a bit suspicious too. It's a public road, sure, but having someone drive up and down the same cul-de-sac several times can be unnerving. I used to live on a dead-end road so I get the feeling of wondering what people are doing. Of course there are plenty of innocent explanations.  I don't have any suggestions for you, just commiserating with the difficulty. Oh, well, I hope you told your husband not to go following people again! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

It is 100% possible I have some background paranoia going on. My property borders that of a person with a lot of police involvement, so I suppose I live “at attention” for things that seem off.

Regardless, my spidy senses were tingling. No, I don’t like that. But also, bad shpit does happen, so what do I do with that? I don’t know.

This right here changes the narrative.  No, your husband shouldn't have done it, but I get why you are uneasy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Farrar said:

Some people put things on their car to give people a head's up, but it's not the norm and it's not required anywhere in the US.

New Jersey requires a red reflective sticker be put on the license plate for new drivers.    A lot of people don't do it because they don't want to announce to everyone that it's a new, young driver but it is technically required.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

If you call the nonemergency number for your police they would likely increase patrols in your area for a bit. Maybe long enough for that group to take their suspicious, weird activity to another venue. Who knows what is going through their minds, could be anything.

This is exactly what I would do, without hesitation. 

I've called the non emergency line for a car that was parked outside my house with windows rolled up, engine running for 20 minutes. 😨 Call me paranoid, but when I'm home alone with a house full of kids, that was unnerving. 

Here's my story.

We live on a residential street. One afternoon, I noticed a car parked in front of my house with a woman sitting inside. She was obviously on her phone so I assumed she was being safe and pulled over to talk while driving.  She stayed there 30 mins. This happened at the same time every day for a week. It wasn't a car I had seen before and her parking in the same spot every day was causing me a touch of anxiety. She would park under the shade tree and eat, drink, and be on her phone. Sometimes she would be there for almost an hour.

One day, I went up to her car, knocked on her window and asked if she needed assistance. She explained she was a home health aid and on her lunch break. The area in front of our house had the strongest wifi signal for her internet provider which also happened to be our provider. This particular company has a program where customers can use other customers' signals while away from home so they don't have to use cell phone data.

I disabled the ability for other customers to piggyback off our wifi and I never saw her again.

It is a public street and she never got out of her car but having a stranger sitting there for an hour every day was weird for me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Janeway said:

Also, when you comment about not wanting to be a Karen, it tells me that women have been shamed enough by society for the last few years that you are afraid to speak up. As women, we’ve been told to shut up and sit down, because we’re terrible people for daring to speak up. I’ve noticed just in the last week, in public, men ranting about stuff, where if women had done the same thing people would’ve been videotaping them and putting them on the Internet and calling them Karen. Just because your woman does not make your concerns invalid. 

I don’t think that’s how I see it (?)  I know the amount of damage Middle Aged white women are capable of. I don’t think I worry about being shamED so much as I worry about causing a crappy situation trying to protect myself from non-existent issues.  
(Homeschooler’s autocorrect wanted that to say Middle Ages, lol.)

I can say that being a women does likely influence my sense of safety, overall. Like, when a former neighbor was flying a drone over my property, the menfolk saw it as an annoyance while my brain was rattling off a bunch of nefarious scenarios. I don’t think (again, ?) that I sit down and shut up because of it though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

It is a public street and she never got out of her car but having a stranger sitting there for an hour every day was weird for me.

See, I’m regularly thinking about how my actions could be interpreted. I once had a very important call coming in just as my car was reaching a drop zone, so I pulled into the neighborhood I was passing and parked to take the call. (Kinship legal stuff, so yeah.) But I was super worried that people in the houses might find my presence suspicious.  
Or, when we were building, I introduced myself to the neighbors to explain that Dh and I would be driving into the cul-de-sac a lot to check on progress so they wouldn’t be worried about our slow drive bys or us walking into the then-woods.  
I don’t want to be a person causing alarm.

• Like 2

If you are feeling unsafe, here is my go to advice:

I am sure you already know about security cameras, etc.. However, I think having fake security cameras has kept my dd's car safe many times when others on her street were broken into. The deal with the real cameras is that they are so small that they don't seem to be a determent. We added three fake cameras that are kind of large and blink red. We also added flood lights that are triggered by motion. So get the real cameras and the fake ones, too.  And the fake cameras are super cheap😊

(she lives off a busy street in a vibrant downtown area where car break-ins are common; in fact they are told to not lock the car doors and keep NOTHING in the car) 

44 minutes ago, MagistraKennedy said:

This is exactly what I would do, without hesitation. 

I've called the non emergency line for a car that was parked outside my house with windows rolled up, engine running for 20 minutes. 😨 Call me paranoid, but when I'm home alone with a house full of kids, that was unnerving. 

I don't think that's paranoid at all. I think it's exactly the type of thing that police non-emergency numbers are meant for.

• Like 5

Yeah, the local police are probably not going to sigh and say "ugh another Karen" if you call the non-emerg line to report suspicious activity in your neighborhood, particularly given that your neighbor has "a lot of police involvement." (Assuming that means what I think it means.) 

When I lived on that dead-end, I called the police a lot on weekend nights - there was often the noise of partying down at the end where there were no houses (mine was the last house), people driving fast down the road, etc. The sheriff's deputies always encouraged me to call. Once, I came home (I lived alone) to find a strange car parked in front of my house. In a typical neighborhood, that isn't weird - someone could always be at the neighbor's. But not on this road - the car was at my house. I went to the nearest store and called the sheriff, and they met me back at the house. By then the car was gone, but the deputy walked through the house with me. Ugh, that was embarrassing, having to say - no, that dresser drawer that's open doesn't mean it's been ransacked, I left it that way. Anyway! The next day at work a friend/coworker of mine told me he had stopped by my house and when he found I wasn't home, decided to wait... fell asleep, and then woke up when I drove by. Then realized he might have scared me, so he left. Well, the sheriff never knew that part, and I was half mad and half relieved it wasn't a would-be intruder.

Anyway, long story but yeah, let the local LEOs know if it worries you. 

• Like 1

Well as someone who parks and sits in my car to kill time quite a bit since covid, it's not always malicious. Thanks for the reminder not to park near houses.  I have certainly done this.  When I've done it, it's always in close range of my kid's extracurriculars so maybe people close to amenities/urban-ish are less likely to notice or care.  Though my preference is to park somewhere I can get free wifi like near a library, coffee shop, community center, etc.  I live urbanish (in city limits, but in a neighborhood with sidewalks and alleys) and within a few blocks of a HUGE campus, a block from a large urban district school and people parking on my street in a holding pattern is just a way of life. We watch and note things, especially now since my DH mostly works from home looking out the front window.  But certainly wouldn't call anyone 99% of the time.  YMMV of course.

Please do not follow or provoke people.  That won't necessarily end well.  Unfortunately, someone local here interrupted a crime recently and it didn't end well.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, marbel said:

Yeah, the local police are probably not going to sigh and say "ugh another Karen" if you call the non-emerg line to report suspicious activity in your neighborhood, particularly given that your neighbor has "a lot of police involvement." (Assuming that means what I think it means.) 

Well, the two scenarios are completely different and entirely unrelated. I’m not sure what you might be thinking, and I don’t want to get super detailed. I’ll say that the specific person hasn’t been able to be arrested or get real help. There are flags on the address for emergency services because of his unpredictability. The police don’t doubt calls about him, just their ability to do much.

• Like 1

Especially since this seems to happen on a somewhat random basis, I would think that people just don’t realize it is a dead end. They think the road goes straight thru, or another road connects to it. Google maps might be giving the wrong instructions or they might be turning around due to missing a previous turn. Like someone else mentioned it could be a Pokemon Go stop also. 

People often think that our street goes straight thu because our street number goes all the way across town. They don’t realize it stops and starts multiple times. This is pretty common here, but there are often ways to zig zag through neighborhoods to find ways to weave thr instead of going to the major roads. 

Edited by Tap

There is a street in my neighborhood that is a convenient place for people to do drive-by drug exchanges. When I see cars sitting there, I call the non-emergency number and ask the police to do a drive-by. They don't mind coming, if they have availability, because they know this spot.

I grew up in a northern urban city and when I moved south at 21 yo I got myself lost a lot in rural or even not rural but just not built on an urban grid areas. I intuitively always expected streets to meet back up with other cross streets and to run parallel to each other. It took me a while to get that I couldn’t just turn down the next street and meet back up to where I was supposed to be. Add to that a bad sense of direction and I could end up on the same wrong street multiple times. Ugh. 

The situation does sound shady, OP. Not saying the situation is for sure innocent and your concern and your conflict over it. I definitely have become more alert to these things over time, but especially alert to how many times I have been the person probably causing someone else alarm. 

Our police doesn’t mind responding to these things. They recently responded to one of our neighbors who called about a SUV that was driving slowly through the neighborhood every night at the same time. It was another neighbor getting her baby to sleep. Everyone had a good laugh about it. 

Edited by teachermom2834

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Well, the two scenarios are completely different and entirely unrelated. I’m not sure what you might be thinking, and I don’t want to get super detailed. I’ll say that the specific person hasn’t been able to be arrested or get real help. There are flags on the address for emergency services because of his unpredictability. The police don’t doubt calls about him, just their ability to do much.

Does this person need referral to mental health services? 

15 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

This. Also, like Storygirl, I did this multiple times while house hunting. My Nextdoor feed is full of people who think this kind of reaction is normal and are usually armed.

That is exactly what drove me away from Nextdoor as well as members’ automatic suspicion of teenagers and minorities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1