Menu

Indulge my silly complaint: pants and high waists

Ginevra

Please just let me whine and kvetch about a silly thing while I’m maxed out on bandwidth about not-silly things. 

I thought “we” had all concluded that high waisted pants/jeans look bad on…well, everyone pretty much? But these @$!?& clothing designers constantly cycle through the details: rise length, flare v. Straight leg, long v. ankle length, dark v. Light wash….It’s so annoying. I want to buy a new pair of jeans but I don’t want wide leg, don’t want super skinny, don’t want ankle length and don’t want high waist. So maybe I just can’t buy new jeans for four years when the designers, knowing everyone has bought high waisted jeans will once again tell everyone they make your a$$ look the size of an aircraft carrier and that now they can go back to a mid rise. 

🙄🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 8
  • Haha 16

25 minutes ago, Quill said:

Please just let me whine and kvetch about a silly thing while I’m maxed out on bandwidth about not-silly things. 

I thought “we” had all concluded that high waisted pants/jeans look bad on…well, everyone pretty much? But these @$!?& clothing designers constantly cycle through the details: rise length, flare v. Straight leg, long v. ankle length, dark v. Light wash….It’s so annoying. I want to buy a new pair of jeans but I don’t want wide leg, don’t want super skinny, don’t want ankle length and don’t want high waist. So maybe I just can’t buy new jeans for four years when the designers, knowing everyone has bought high waisted jeans will once again tell everyone they make your a$$ look the size of an aircraft carrier and that now they can go back to a mid rise. 

🙄🤷🏻‍♀️

YES! I have 3 dds. One is 5 ft 1 and about 100 pounds. She is the only one In the family that looks ok in them.

I’m not wearing them. I refuse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can’t even find high waist jeans unless I pay full outlet price at certain brands’ outlet stores. All we saw were sit below waist jeans. 

6 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

YES! I have 3 dds. One is 5 ft 1 and about 100 pounds. She is the only one In the family that looks ok in them.

I’m 5 ft 1 and under 100lbs. I do need higher waist ankle length, preferably skinny jeans. I have to hunt sales racks for Rag & Bone and 7 for all mankind jeans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

My oldest loveloveloves high waisted pants, lol. I was a teen in the 90s and we wore our pants looooow. 😉 I cannot comprehend the love of high waist. 

My tummy prefers to be warm. So I end up wearing high waist leggings under my jeans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, marbel said:

low-rise is back! 

Please, no! I got tired of butt cracks and muffin tops squeezing out all over creation last time around. It just kept getting worse and worse until they were finally gone. Butt cracks everywhere, all the time with everyone fiddling with their pants incessantly to keep them on. 

When I saw a character on a TV show accidentally flash butt crack and have to pull jeans up, I had about had it.

If we don't like plumber butt by default, I am not sure why we should make it a fashion trend. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

I think the super-skinny/jeggings type jeans are less in style now, and wide-legged ones are more trendy, but there's definitely a middle ground between "trendy" and "dated." IMO mid-rise, straight-leg Levis (or similar) are never super trendy but also never out of style. And I'm seeing all colors, from very light to very dark wash, plus white, gray, and black, pretty much everywhere. So I'd just get yourself a nice fitting pair of mid-rise straight-legs in whatever color works best for your wardrobe.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I think the super-skinny/jeggings type jeans are less in style now, and wide-legged ones are more trendy, but there's definitely a middle ground between "trendy" and "dated." IMO mid-rise, straight-leg Levis (or similar) are never super trendy but also never out of style. And I'm seeing all colors, from very light to very dark wash, plus white, gray, and black, pretty much everywhere. So I'd just get yourself a nice fitting pair of mid-rise straight-legs in whatever color works best for your wardrobe.

Well maybe I need to go to the Levi’s outlet! 

11 minutes ago, Quill said:

Well maybe I need to go to the Levi’s outlet! 

My husband managed to get a pair of nice black Levi’s chino pants from their outlet during the weekend for $15. This one

https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/chino-pants/levis-chino-pants-for-men/levis-xx-chino-slim-taper-fit-mens-pants/p/171990005#swatch

ETA:

I mean in case your husband and kids want to tag along and look.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Please, no! I got tired of butt cracks and muffin tops squeezing out all over creation last time around. It just kept getting worse and worse until they were finally gone. Butt cracks everywhere, all the time with everyone fiddling with their pants incessantly to keep them on. 

When I saw a character on a TV show accidentally flash butt crack and have to pull jeans up, I had about had it.

If we don't like plumber butt by default, I am not sure why we should make it a fashion trend. 

Yes! Preach it! Low rise pants don't look good on anyone because everyone's butt crack is showing. I live near a university and even young college age girls with great bodies are constantly pulling on their pants and adjusting.

• Like 7

Dd (22) offered me the following insight when I went on a similar rant while looking for jeans recently: Mid rise jeans are more flattering from the side because they aren’t sitting right on your waist. High rise jeans are flattering from the front because they are sitting at your waist. 

She’s kind of right, I guess. But I still can’t go with the high rise craze. Nope. This mom would’t be caught dead in the woods in “mom jeans”! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Off but related topic: today in Old Navy my daughter was looking at tube tops. I had to laugh. I swear I have never seen anyone in a tube top who wasn't constantly adjusting it, pulling it either up or down. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

I am tall with a high waist and I carry all of my extra weight in my belly plus I really have no butt at all. I can only wear high waisted pants. If I buy mid waist then I need a larger size for the waist to fit around my belly and then they are too big everywhere else, plus they always feel like they are falling down. I also have the problem that shirts aren't long enough so high waisted pants keep them covered. Overall they give me more of an hourglass shape and since I wear longer shirts they don't show a big expanse of denim in the rear that screams mom jeans.

I have changed to more stretchy materials with elastic waists or tummy tamer fronts. Also yoga type pants and stretch pants with straight legs made out of the same kind of material. I also have some looser fitting or thicker legging type pants that I like. I have stocked up on these kinds of pants over the last few years that they have been popular so that I will never have to buy pants again. I also won't be caught during a dry spell with only a couple of old worn out pants. 

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, KidsHappen said:

I am tall with a high waist and I carry all of my extra weight in my belly plus I really have no butt at all. I can only wear high waisted pants. If I buy mid waist then I need a larger size for the waist to fit around my belly and then they are too big everywhere else, plus they always feel like they are falling down.

I have a similar shape - extra weight in my belly and no butt.  Everything sags in the butt area - it's so frustrating and unflattering!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Yep, this is me.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Why are we not able to completely custom order yet? I can print books on demand and custom order automobiles, surely jeans would be somewhere between those. Keep your flying cars, give me the ability to get the jeans i want!

Tailor made. Not every tailor will do jeans because they need the heavyweight needle for the sewing machine but some will.

• Like 2

I love high waist 

Hope it comes back here.

I think it looks way way  better on pretty much everyone. 

Low waist is the most unflattering look   ever on just about everyone.  I have not seen a single person of any body shape that looks good with their guts hanging out in the front and their backside hanging out at the back 

• Like 6

The alternative to high waist mom jeans isn’t necessarily low waist butt crack showing jeans!!! There is plenty of in between mid rise natural waist that hits in a manner that is not crazy high waist and not showing the butt crack!

Of course not every style will fit everyone correctly but it seems like the only alternative to everything is only the most opposite extreme. That is not the case! There is plenty moderate in between. 

• Like 5

I'm delighted high-waisted jeans are back.  They fit me much better than any mid-rise ever did.  I am having some trouble finding the right leg width, though.  I don't like the wide, and I have enough skinny jeans.  I just want some straight leg jeans that are high waisted.  Let me know if you find some!

• Like 4

Anyway all the jeans we saw at Levi’s outlet were sit below waist regardless of gender. DS18 wears a belt because he doesn’t want anything showing when he stretches. Cold weather is easy because he wears a long hoodie or jacket to classes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Why are we not able to completely custom order yet? I can print books on demand and custom order automobiles, surely jeans would be somewhere between those. Keep your flying cars, give me the ability to get the jeans i want!

Amen!!!

I still remember once reading that by Y2K, we were supposed to have the ability to walk into a “dressing room”, have a computer scan our bodies, then choose on a screen the clothing item and fabric we wanted, which would then be custom-made. I want this! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J-rap said:

What?  I love high waisted!  Ones with stretchy fabric or slightly elastic waists might make a difference.  I like high waisted so much more than low waisted, when you can't bend over without exposing yourself.

Yes! I am a high waist fan. I always wear tops that cover my tush, so I’m not very concerned with that aspect. But a decent material all the way up smooths my tumtum. 😁
Given the choice, I’ll take an enormous caboose over my loose middle. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, klmama said:

I'm delighted high-waisted jeans are back.  They fit me much better than any mid-rise ever did.  I am having some trouble finding the right leg width, though.  I don't like the wide, and I have enough skinny jeans.  I just want some straight leg jeans that are high waisted.  Let me know if you find some!

Amanda jeans by Gloria Vanderbilt are high waisted straight leg jeans. I can always find these at Kohls, and sometimes at JC Penny's or Sams. They also have others o the same style at Sam's. I have found some at Sam's that the brand name is Seven.

• Like 3

I hardly ever buy clothes for myself, so the last time I had that high waist issue was when I was a teen / young adult.

My solution was to buy men's jeans, which fit me perfectly.  That's what I'll do again if I can't find women's jeans to fit.

• Like 1

I suffer from a relatively skinny butt and thighs compared to my belly.  Always have.  High waist jeans assume your ass is like twice the size of mine, thus they are baggy and gross on me.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a nice range of options for the nice range of women who exist?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Tailor made. Not every tailor will do jeans because they need the heavyweight needle for the sewing machine but some will.

I actually started making my own after the jeans like that for me for years was discontinued. It may be the one sewing project where I save money. But it isn't as carefree as bopping into the mall (or Goodwill), trying on a hundred pairs of jeans and coming out with something fits, maybe in two different colors or some clever design detail.

4 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

Amanda jeans by Gloria Vanderbilt are high waisted straight leg jeans. I can always find these at Kohls, and sometimes at JC Penny's or Sams. They also have others o the same style at Sam's. I have found some at Sam's that the brand name is Seven.

Thanks.  I'll have to take another look at them.  I remember the legs being wider than I wanted, but since then "straight leg" jeans seem to be narrower in many brands.  Maybe these are, too.   

I LOVE high waisted jeans and I'm so glad they have made a comeback! Midrise jeans are almost showing off my rear end and low waste jeans definitely show off parts that no one needs to see if I can even get them up. I'm tall with a very high rise, so high waisted jeans fit me beautifully. Every time they come back in style I buy multiple pairs to last me because I know they're going to go out again. I also personally love wide leg trouser style jeans, but straight leg is fine too. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, klmama said:

Thanks.  I'll have to take another look at them.  I remember the legs being wider than I wanted, but since then "straight leg" jeans seem to be narrower in many brands.  Maybe these are, too.   

These are the only style that I wear. The width of the legs on the Amanda style does vary a bit from year to year, so it's worth looking again.

• Like 1