Menu

When people are upset over self checkouts; does it upset you?

Ginevra

I don't like self-checkout in many situations I am faced with.  These are issues I have:

• They are not set up to be able to check out easily.  There is not enough "counter" space.  I have to reach into my basket get one thing out, scan it, put it in the bagging area.  Then when the bagging area is full, what do I do?  Move my basket (which still has things I need to check out) near the bagging area and put the bagged goods in the basket, mixed with goods that have not yet been scanned?  
  • Whenever I have something too big to place in a bag--like dog food, the machine freezes because no weight is added to the bagging area
  • Whenever I have something lightweight the machine freezes because it does not register that weight has been added to the bagging area
  • Invariably, I have some transaction that needs cashier override--a bottle of wine, a bottle of cough syrup, etc.  
  • Everyone in line in front of me has some cashier override so everyone is waiting for a clerk for "self-checkout"--often the clerk has to spend more time correcting errors and doing overrides than simply ringing up the order in the first place.
  • If there is an error with the machine reading something the whole system freezes up--I can't go on scanning other items until the clerk gets there to help with the item in error
  • Discounts and coupons are not handled easily.  At my local store I have a discount card, which I have finally learned that I must scan and then through a piece of trash into a bin so that the machine thinks there is a coupon going in the machine.   Yes, the store has a stack of old paper for people to tear a piece off and drop in the bin!  It took about a year of asking for help until a clerk told me the "trick"
  • The store has 12 self checkouts but they will be 8 will be closed and there is a line to use them.  WHY or self checkouts "closed"?

Some of this may simply be the setup at my local stores.  I did visit a Walmart recently which had nice long counters and room for self-checkout processing.

• Like 8

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate self check out bc I swear most of the time I end having to wait for an employee to come over and fix or code something in anyways, which I find obnoxious customer service. Either make it truly self checkout or open more human-staffed registers.

I HATE the self checkout at Costco the mostest- which is just about the only thing I’ve ever not liked at Costco.

I don’t think self checkout affects jobs to be honest. Most places that use them extensively never did staff appropriately to begin with and the self checkouts do need staffed and maintained too, the register jobs have just shifted but usually not eliminated.

Walmart is a great example. They never had more than 2-4 checkers anyways.  The Walmart that shifted to entirely self-checkout still only has 2-4 people manning the registers. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I hear this a lot, or I should say, I see complaints about self checkout on SM. People complain about it, saying something like, “Greedy Walmart Corporate headquarters, won’t hire humans to run cash registers!” 

I don’t see it that way. I see it as the way progress works; things that once required human employees often now do not, if the task does not require reasoning and judgment. I *think* I remember a similar complaint when the first ATM machines opened up at my parents’ bank. 

How about people here? Does it bother you to perform a self-checkout? Or is it neutral or superior to you? 

Makes me livid. Here I am spending multiple hundred dollars at one time on groceries with 4 young kids in tow and I’ve been dragging my fat pregnant ass through the store.  No way am I scanning up a whole cart full of stuff. No way. I’m pleased to have the option for under 10’things, but nope, not doing a whole grocery trip.

• Like 1

You all are cracking me up at the Costco self check out.  I love ours here.  It doesn’t have the scanner guns for us to use but has several employees positioned in the sled check out just for that and to help with difficult items.  They have one of the best I have used in our area.  Now the BJs has the scanner guns but most of the time it doesn’t work or someone has taken them home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What bothers me primarily are when stores convert (as my local WM has done) to roughly 75% self checkout, with perhaps 3 or 4 cashiers manning the entire front of the store.  Not that the customer is then required to ring up & sack their own groceries (that part I don't mind, unless I've got a cart full of stuff), but that it puts both customers & cashiers in a precarious position. Cashiers end up overworked, theft increases, customers end up paying more...that I do not love. 

Having self-check as one available option, with plenty of staffed lanes also, is delightful to me, and I'd far rather go through that when I have a few things than wait in a long line. That also allows me to sack my groceries/items according to my preferences, anyway. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I will not use them.

I believe it is a way to destroy jobs.

Je refuse!

Bill

Is it not a way to ensure a living wage for those who *are* employed? So, if you’re Giaganto-mart and you have to run humans on twenty check-out lines, you’re not going to pay those twenty humans a decent wage. But if fifteen of those lines are automated, the five humans can earn a better wage because they have a more managerial position.*

*Not an economist.

It really depends on where I am and what I am purchasing.  If I have a lot of items, it is helpful to have a person ring me up and help bag items.  If I have a few items, it is not a big deal. My hope is that no jobs are actually lost, but rather, those people are doing the shopping for customers who choose to buy online and pick up in store/pick up curbside.  One of the main issues with the self checkouts in my local stores is there usually isn't enough room to do all the things. 

I don't care about self checkout but I don't use them myself. The only reason I don't use them is the self-checkouts near me. is it takes longer than the check out person. Too many experiences of, "oh this item needs to see a sales associate", or the machine can't believe that I didn't crowd all my stuff on the 12"x12" space they gave me, etc. somehow I have really bad luck with those. 

I don't understand the people doing self-checkout at Costco. At the cashier's I don't even have to unload my cart. I face all the barcodes up and they scan my entire cart so quickly I don't think I can't actually be faster (unless I worked there and did it for hours a day like they do). Plus I like visiting my cashiers. The few stores I go to often I want to say hi. (I'm even close friends with my cashiers just I like seeing familiar faces and saying hi and laughing about what's on the shelves today.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Quill said:

Is it not a way to ensure a living wage for those who *are* employed? So, if you’re Giaganto-mart and you have to run humans on twenty check-out lines, you’re not going to pay those twenty humans a decent wage. But if fifteen of those lines are automated, the five humans can earn a better wage because they have a more managerial position.*

*Not an economist.

Nope. Big Box stores move into towns--often getting tax breaks in the process--then destroy local retail while using automation to break unionization efforts as they drive wages down, not up.

This is not a humanitarian effort on the part of notorious union-busters like Walmart (or Home Depot), but just one more way to degrade and diminish the bargaining power of their workers.

Its sad.

Bill

• Like 4

They can't staff our grocery stores, I have no clue what jobs are being destroyed.  In addition, there's a huge demand for workers due to the popularity of pick up orders. Something they didn't have before self check out and takes quite a few bodies. I think those jobs just moved to a different spot anyway.

I don't mind.  I go where the line is shortest and I can get out of there the quickest.

I DO think a cashier line should always be open, not exclusively self check out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

We have both Costco and Sams memberships. I wish Costco had scan and go. I love it! I also wish you could use their app to pay for gas like you can at Sams.

Yep! We have both memberships as well.  Unless I am specifically needing something that only Costco carries, I will choose to shop at Sam's everytime, simply because of the app.  

22 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Nope. Big Box stores move into towns--often getting tax breaks in the process--then destroy local retail while using automation to break unionization efforts as they drive wages down, not up.

This is not a humanitarian effort on the part of notorious union-busters like Walmart (or Home Depot), but just one more way to degrade and diminish the bargaining power of their workers.

Its sad.

Bill

I thought grocery stores were struggling to staff. One grocery store I frequent (Harris Teeter) reduced services for a while at least due to understaffing. They do always have human cashiers (most often teens), but they have several self-checks too. 

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I will not use them.

I believe it is a way to destroy jobs.

Je refuse!

Bill

I never did until the pandemic, for this same reason.  I also like to chit chat with the checkers, it's community building.  When they were not masking during covid I changed entirely over to self-checkout, now back to humans, me N95ed and content.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quill said:

I thought grocery stores were struggling to staff. One grocery store I frequent (Harris Teeter) reduced services for a while at least due to understaffing. They do always have human cashiers (most often teens), but they have several self-checks too. 

The only businesses that have staffing issues are ones where they pay employees substandard wages--Walmart employees are famously dependent on food stamps and other benefits to survive--and the automated checkouts are a way to undercut collective bargaining and unionization.

Companies that offer living wages attract workers.

Bill

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

I don't understand the people doing self-checkout at Costco.

For the Costco at Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Coleman Ave, Almaden Expressway, they have six to nine self checkout stations so it is faster for us to use self checkout (almost no line) than to queue up at one of the cashier counters. Besides my husband rather not talk, he appreciates silent transactions.

@Carol in Cal.  Safeway and Sprouts self check outs are getting better.  We usually buy less than 5 items per trip there so it is usually an easy transaction.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Quill said:

Our local Safeway supermarkets open until 1 or 2am. Often, there are no cashiers after 10pm. I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing compared to local Target cashiers working until midnight. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

We love self checkout at supermarkets, Target and Costco. It is so much faster since we usually have less than 10 items. I think Costco has the barcode scanner so you can just scan items in your shopping cart. 

Wait? What? Your Costco lets you use the self-checkout lanes? Ours are manned. Every single one. You leave everything in the cart, they scan it for you, and then you pay. No cash, though; must pay with a card. And they still have several other "regular" lanes open for the folks that want those.

1 minute ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Wait? What? Your Costco lets you use the self-checkout lanes? Ours are manned. Every single one. You leave everything in the cart, they scan it for you, and then you pay. No cash, though; must pay with a card. And they still have several other "regular" lanes open for the folks that want those.

We scan the items at Costco’s self checkout ourselves, just like at Walmart or Target. We also have the self ordering kiosk for the Costco deli so we just need to show the receipt to the deli staff to get our food (hot dogs, pizza, soda, etc). 

• Like 1

I don’t use self checkouts. I hate to see that what used to be good, reliable, safe jobs for real life people are being replaced. 

Maybe people’s feelings about this are connected to the level of education within their own family. I come from a lonnnng line of under-educated people and feel strongly that there need to be safe, reliable jobs for the everyday Joe to do. 

I don’t like chatting with strangers and I am always in a hurry, but I will go through the “person” line in 100% of cases. Toll booths, grocery line, etc. 

(I view ordering online and picking up as a different thing and do that frequently)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

I don’t use self checkouts. I hate to see that what used to be good, reliable, safe jobs for real life people are being replaced. 

Maybe people’s feelings about this are connected to the level of education within their own family. I come from a lonnnng line of under-educated people and feel strongly that there need to be safe, reliable jobs for the everyday Joe to do. 

I don’t like chatting with strangers and I am always in a hurry, but I will go through the “person” line in 100% of cases. Toll booths, grocery line, etc. 

(I view ordering online and picking up as a different thing and do that frequently)

Hahahah! Toll booths! With people! I remember those….

• Haha 3

I only use self checkouts if I have a couple of things.

1) I actually enjoy the chit chat with cashiers-it's some of the only adult interaction I get all week and if I have a child with me it's good for them to see proper customer service (or not proper... It can be a teachable moment)

2) When I'm doing a weekly grocery run there is literally no way for me to use the one cart I have, check everything out and put it on the tiny check out area. I end up putting bags of checked out stuff in with my unchecked out stuff in the cart and then I worry I'll get accused of theft. 

3) I also frequently have something that won't check out correctly or I don't know the code for and then I have to call someone over to help. It is such a slower process than using a cashier.

• Like 2

It’s a kind of annoying when the self checkout stations are so small that you have to shuffle items in and out of a full cart midway through, but not really a big deal.  The only time it really bothers me is when, in addition to the lessened convenience of having to check out my own stuff while also managing the kids, they station an employee at the door to stop you and make you take out your receipt and wait while they go over it and check your items.  Usually while the grouchy baby who is ready to be done starts to scream.  Seriously, if I can’t be trusted to check out my own groceries, then have your cashiers do it.  Or if I can, let me get on with it and get out of there.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Katy said:

Unless I want less than 5 items I will stand in line to interact with a human rather than do self checkout. I don’t work there and it isn’t my job. 

100%  It is more work for me to do self checkout.  I hate them really.  But at this point we just do grocery pickup so avoid it altogether. 

• Like 1

I  like the CVS self-checkout. I rarely have more than a few items and they generally work.

A lot of self-checkout just seems buggy and slow. They keep stopping and you need to have someone reset it, or the space is only set up for a few items.

But I choose to go to CVS over Walgreens because the self-checkout is good and fast.

• Like 1

For my purposes, self-checkout works best. But I have a small family, don't buy big bags of pet food, etc. Even the small, family-owned grocery store in our area has self-checkouts now. The cashier lines in that store are still well-staffed, but they are slow because the customers and cashiers like to chat. So, that works well for me - the folks who want it can get their chatting time in, but I don't need to. (That is not a slam on people who like talking to the cashiers, just an example of different needs/desires.

I agree with others on Costco's self-check; it is much less convenient than Sam's Club. However, Sam's Club is so depressing in other ways that I much prefer Costco. But when I have something heavy, such as my recent 40# bag of bird seed, or a set of china, there is always a clerk to scan it for me. Forget about getting any helps in Sam's. 

4 hours ago, Quill said:

I hear this a lot, or I should say, I see complaints about self checkout on SM. People complain about it, saying something like, “Greedy Walmart Corporate headquarters, won’t hire humans to run cash registers!” 

I don’t see it that way. I see it as the way progress works; things that once required human employees often now do not, if the task does not require reasoning and judgment. I *think* I remember a similar complaint when the first ATM machines opened up at my parents’ bank. 

How about people here? Does it bother you to perform a self-checkout? Or is it neutral or superior to you? 

Most of the time I prefer self-checkout.  It's faster

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I don't like self-checkout in many situations I am faced with.  These are issues I have:

• They are not set up to be able to check out easily.  There is not enough "counter" space.  I have to reach into my basket get one thing out, scan it, put it in the bagging area.  Then when the bagging area is full, what do I do?  Move my basket (which still has things I need to check out) near the bagging area and put the bagged goods in the basket, mixed with goods that have not yet been scanned?  
  • Whenever I have something too big to place in a bag--like dog food, the machine freezes because no weight is added to the bagging area
  • Whenever I have something lightweight the machine freezes because it does not register that weight has been added to the bagging area
  • Invariably, I have some transaction that needs cashier override--a bottle of wine, a bottle of cough syrup, etc.  
  • Everyone in line in front of me has some cashier override so everyone is waiting for a clerk for "self-checkout"--often the clerk has to spend more time correcting errors and doing overrides than simply ringing up the order in the first place.
  • If there is an error with the machine reading something the whole system freezes up--I can't go on scanning other items until the clerk gets there to help with the item in error
  • Discounts and coupons are not handled easily.  At my local store I have a discount card, which I have finally learned that I must scan and then through a piece of trash into a bin so that the machine thinks there is a coupon going in the machine.   Yes, the store has a stack of old paper for people to tear a piece off and drop in the bin!  It took about a year of asking for help until a clerk told me the "trick"
  • The store has 12 self checkouts but they will be 8 will be closed and there is a line to use them.  WHY or self checkouts "closed"?

Some of this may simply be the setup at my local stores.  I did visit a Walmart recently which had nice long counters and room for self-checkout processing.

It just takes practice imo.  I can ring up $150 worth of groceries with very little counter space.  

But our WM doesn’t have a scale under the bags anymore which has helped a lot.  We also have regular conveyer belts in one part of the check out which makes it easier for big orders.

• Like 4

I try to avoid it if I can for the reason others stated that there is no room if you have many items and I usually have many items.  I don’t mind talking to the cashier though they usually don’t talk to me much.  I find, that it takes me a lot longer than going through a cashier and it makes me nervous as many computer transactions that involve money make me feel.  I will do it if I have to or if I have few items and the lines are long.  I might be more open to it if you could scan the whole cart without taking things out but I have not seen that at the stores where I shop.  I’m sure one day it will be the only option so I guess I need to get used to it.  ( As an aside, I feel like Eeyore tonight.  Is my tone coming across that way?)

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

It just takes practice imo.  I can ring up $150 worth of groceries with very little counter space.  

But our WM doesn’t have a scale under the bags anymore which has helped a lot.  We also have regular conveyer belts in one part of the check out which makes it easier for big orders.

It depends upon what I am buying.  $150 can be a few items; or, it can be over 150 cans of veggies and soups.  If there is not enough space to place what is in my basket on the counter then I must move back and forth between the areas.  I cannot in one motion pick an item up from my basket, scan it and place it in the bagging area.

What is the thought behind putting four self-checks in the space used for one traditional checker area?  If a trained checker needs that much space, how can an untrained person be expected to do it in 1/4 the space?  Often, if I go to a traditional register I bag much of my own items as they are being rung up.  Even so, the checker sometimes has to stop and move items that accumulated on that side of the scanner before more things can be rung up.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Katy said:

Unless I want less than 5 items I will stand in line to interact with a human rather than do self checkout. I don’t work there and it isn’t my job. 

I'm the complete opposite, I will stand in a longer self check line than a shorter person line.  I hate having to deal with small talk with the checker and I much prefer how I bag items than baggers.  I'm perfectly happy to do the whole job myself.

• Like 1

I feed 2-6 teenagers on any given day.  My elderly dad lives with us and has a bit of a special diet.  I also work FT so I much prefer a big shopping trip to going to the store every other day because I don’t have time to go back again and again.  

All this to say: I rarely have a grocery order that doesn’t take up the entire cart and often then some.  Going through self checkout with that many groceries is impractical.  I can’t scan and bag my order at the same time and the sensors at our store go ballistic if you take off a bag of groceries before you pay and that space is barely big enough for 2-3 bags.  I am usually getting more like 8 bags, sometimes much more.  Often a bagger or two comes over to help the checker when I go through the lane.  When I go to Winco (self bag) I take a second adult so we can keep up.  When the van is unloaded of groceries, there are bags and boxes covering my entire kitchen.  

Then they eat it all and I go back again the next week.  Y’all DO NOT want to see what my grocery bill looks like these days.  I tried the scan and go cart at Kroger/QFC and it didn’t work well.  Also, those carts are tiny.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spy Car said:

The only businesses that have staffing issues are ones where they pay employees substandard wages--Walmart employees are famously dependent on food stamps and other benefits to survive--and the automated checkouts are a way to undercut collective bargaining and unionization.

Companies that offer living wages attract workers.

Bill

Presently hiring.  We are paying a solid wage, and I revised it up to factor in inflation and market conditions.  The benefits are amazing and we offer significantly more than average in terms of PTO.  We had 2 people to interview.  One no showed.  This “companies that offer living wages” narrative isn’t holding up in all industries or job markets.  I am observing the same thing with my clients who are hiring and hearing it from friends and colleagues who are hiring as well.  None of these jobs is low paying or so specialized as to have a tiny number of applicants.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, LucyStoner said:

Presently hiring.  We are paying a solid wage, and I revised it up to factor in inflation and market conditions.  The benefits are amazing and we offer significantly more than average in terms of PTO.  We had 2 people to interview.  One no showed.  This “companies that offer living wages” narrative isn’t holding up in all industries or job markets.  I am observing the same thing with my clients who are hiring and hearing it from friends and colleagues who are hiring as well.  None of these jobs is low paying or so specialized as to have a tiny number of applicants.  

This is the experience of quite a few small businesses up in the Sierras too.  Most have cut their hours and some have closed down.

• Like 1

I have no problem using self-checkout at WM for groceries up to $250 or so. But I use my own large insulated bags that stand up on their own. I have plenty of checkout space. Other stores are aggravating to self checkout more than a small handful of items. Our WM seems to have no problem at all with staffing. There are always tons of stockers and order fulfillment shoppers. I shop early in the mornings and there are usually only one or two cashiers, but that was true long before self checkout was a thing. Around my area it's the non-big box store grocery chains that seem to have staffing problems. From what I can tell from reading Indeed WM pays considerably more.

• Like 2

I can't remember the last time I used a real cashier.  My large orders are always pick up orders now so when I am running in for a few items, I always use self-checkout.  Sam's Club scan and go is awesome and I use it all the time.  

Funny story: We have an elderly relative who was explaining to me how she loves the self-checkout lanes.  Then mentions that she just goes in there and waits for the employee to come and scan all her stuff -lol!  I think she does that so she doesn't have to unload her cart.  We tried to explain she should just use a regular line but she didn't understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Bootsie said:

It depends upon what I am buying.  $150 can be a few items; or, it can be over 150 cans of veggies and soups.  If there is not enough space to place what is in my basket on the counter then I must move back and forth between the areas.  I cannot in one motion pick an item up from my basket, scan it and place it in the bagging area.

What is the thought behind putting four self-checks in the space used for one traditional checker area?  If a trained checker needs that much space, how can an untrained person be expected to do it in 1/4 the space?  Often, if I go to a traditional register I bag much of my own items as they are being rung up.  Even so, the checker sometimes has to stop and move items that accumulated on that side of the scanner before more things can be rung up.

To the bolded….I mean sure.  I guess I should have said a full basket.  

I do pick up an item from my cart, scan it, and put it in a bag.

Everyone is different I guess.  

When I shop for my boss I use a more upscale store in the city.  They have never been fast but I usually don’t really care since I am working.  Recently they installed about 8 more self check. I decided use a cashier anyway.  It was an employee that has been there for years.  But I swear he was going extra slow.  It was almost painful to watch.  And it occurred  to me that maybe they have been told to go extra slow to encourage people to use self check out.  

I am in the camp of self-checkout only for 5 items or less.   

I guess I'm lucky in that they've never abused my produce.    

I also spent several years living in 3-story apartments.   Groceries that didn't need fridge or freezer lived in the trunk for another day.   So I learned to put groceries on the cart sorted by how I wanted them in the bag.  So, I guess I've never been bothered by their bagging either.  

Also, if all lines are long get in the cigarette aisle.    That is always where the whiz-bang clerk will be. 

why would other people's reactions to self-checkouts upset me?  that's confusing.  there are many industries that have come and gone - e.g. aren't nearly as many carriage makers as there were 100 years ago, but there are far more autos today than there ever were carriages . . . 

I sometimes use them, sometimes use a real person.    

Ok, so my preferred option is option 3- curbside pickup. (You knew there would be someone who would want an “other” option, didn’t you?) If there is a specific item I absolutely must go into the store for, I use self-checkout, because I find it much faster. The only exception would be Aldi, and the checkout clerks there are the most efficient I have ever encountered. Also, they have you bag your own groceries, which is my preference, because I don’t get soft fruits thrown in with canned goods! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

So I learned to put groceries on the cart sorted by how I wanted them in the bag.

Yeah, when I used cashiers I was always extremely systematic in how I put things on the conveyor belt. Cold/frozen things together, then canned and other heavy items, then lighter weight stuff. It very rarely did any good. I've had plenty of cashiers actually praise how organized I was and then throw things in bags willy nilly.

• Like 6

I mean, my grandfather was a milkman. Let's be realistic: the economy changes. I don't care if people complain about it.

I love self-checkout when it's designed correctly. I should not need to ask for help (e.g., everything should scan correctly), and I should be able to buy a whole cartload if I want to. (I don't buy anything age-restricted.) Cashiers don't bag the way I want & some appear to resent my reusable bags.

But I'm currently doing like 70% curbside, 10% delivery, 10% shipping, and only about 10% in-store shopping right now. Self check-out is not a big consideration in my life.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

Same here.