Menu

Updates 2023 (job hunt etc)

heartlikealion

Congratulations! I think this sounds like a win. The reality is that retirement benefits are a big deal, and library jobs often allow a person to make a lot of connections. You might find that you can do some tutoring for extra pay outside of work, or contract work for some event planning, that kind of thing. Some of the library staff at our township library tutor outside of work for $20 an hour, and they have a never ending stream of students most of whom they have met at work, and whose parents said, "We need to find a tutor. Know anyone?" And of course sometimes they do activities that require additional staffing so regular staff can pick up extra hours by working an evening they would not normally do, and that all helps.

I hope you find a new place soon! You are doing great, Heart! Keep on chugging along. I am cheering you on here from Michigan.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

They don’t know start date yet. Background check & drug test will be scheduled first. 

I went back to the dr and they gave me exercises to do for my back. I think I might be recovering from a muscle issue plus the UTI. I just want to feel normal again. 

I already contacted my lawyer to give him a heads up about the job/upcoming visitation changes. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I just got offered a job (via email). It’s the library job in New Orleans (didn’t say which branch).

I think I need to just accept it. It will be a commute when I meet the kids, but I’ll have steady income, a fairly low-stress job, ability to sit a lot, retirement plan and other benefits. 

That is amazing news! I know is not ideal with the kids but closer than the four hours you were from them before they moved. 

• Like 4

I am so happy for you! There may be minor bumps along the way, but to find a position that doesn't have you on your feet all day and offers benefits is soooo worth it! And there's got to be more choices of rentals in NO. 

I don't remember the details, will this still be 3-4 hours from your kids?

Also, if you decide this is a career for you, there are fairly affordable MLS degrees available online that would enable you to really increase your options.

Celebrate!!

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Idalou said:

I am so happy for you! There may be minor bumps along the way, but to find a position that doesn't have you on your feet all day and offers benefits is soooo worth it! And there's got to be more choices of rentals in NO. 

I don't remember the details, will this still be 3-4 hours from your kids?

Also, if you decide this is a career for you, there are fairly affordable MLS degrees available online that would enable you to really increase your options.

Celebrate!!

It’s 1.5 hours roughly. If xh met me halfway I’d still drive 1.5 hours, though (home to midway point to get kids; back to home). So at least it’s significantly closer than the 4hr distance. 

I had not considered getting an MLS but who knows, might consider one day. This job will pay more than my last but the rent might offset any increase in earnings. I’m seeking a 2 bedroom. 

• Like 10

Just now, heartlikealion said:

It’s 1.5 hours roughly. If xh met me halfway I’d still drive 1.5 hours, though (home to midway point to get kids; back to home). So at least it’s significantly closer than the 4hr distance. 

I had not considered getting an MLS but who knows, might consider one day. This job will pay more than my last but the rent might offset any increase in earnings. I’m seeking a 2 bedroom. 

So much better than 4! 

Just now, freesia said:

So much better than 4! 

Yup! My concern is Fridays will be weird like would I get dd at 6 pm or what? We’d have to pick a time where both adults could meet. And I guess I’d return her around 6 pm on Sun as usual. But any typical job would make Fridays awkward as picking her up after school wouldn’t be practical anymore. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Yup! My concern is Fridays will be weird like would I get dd at 6 pm or what? We’d have to pick a time where both adults could meet. And I guess I’d return her around 6 pm on Sun as usual. But any typical job would make Fridays awkward as picking her up after school wouldn’t be practical anymore. 

Yes, Fridays will be tricky. But after the past year of juggling places and sleeping arrangements, I’m sure it will settle in to something regular and be such a relief. 

• Like 9

Just now, WildflowerMom said:

Thank God!!!    Praying you find a place quickly!!

You and me both!! 🤣🤣🤣

will a landlord accept a written job offer or something from the employer and cash/check in lieu of pay stubs in the beginning?? Might get lucky and find one that would. 

I don’t want to be stuck paying rental all of Nov here if the job potentially begins in a few weeks. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

If you do consider pursuing a library degree, check to see if they offer any tuition reimbursement to help with the costs. State library associations and ALA offer scholarships too.

• Like 5

@heartlikealion  I just want you to know how much I admire you.  You are so strong and level headed and have handled every setback with such grace and determination.  You really are amazing.  I hope that this job is just first of many many good things coming your way.  You deserve nothing but happiness and peace.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Thank you, everyone 

*changes dating profile to NOLA* 🤣🙃

It’s been such a rollercoaster. I hope I can move soon as the new roommate wants to move in asap (she requested Oct 23 but they may stall her til Nov). I don’t think I can handle the old room. I went in there today and literally beads of sweat started dripping off me. 

I will try to go look at homes in person soon but not holding my breath for “move in whenever” (as opposed to beginning/end of month) or month to month. It was suggested to me to just do month to month to start by a friend that lived there a long time ago but I don’t think I’ll have the luxury nor the time to fool with moving twice in one city in a short time. I would like to be settled before the holidays if possible (Thanksgiving). Each move probably means deposits. 

I’ve been learning about attachment styles and working toward secure. I found a great YouTuber. Hoping I make a new circle of friends soon because I really need some people I can hang out with easily. 

• Like 15

6 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I just got offered a job (via email). It’s the library job in New Orleans (didn’t say which branch).

I think I need to just accept it. It will be a commute when I meet the kids, but I’ll have steady income, a fairly low-stress job, ability to sit a lot, retirement plan and other benefits. 

Oh, I am so happy for you!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Thank you, everyone 

*changes dating profile to NOLA* 🤣🙃

It’s been such a rollercoaster. I hope I can move soon as the new roommate wants to move in asap (she requested Oct 23 but they may stall her til Nov). I don’t think I can handle the old room. I went in there today and literally beads of sweat started dripping off me. 

I will try to go look at homes in person soon but not holding my breath for “move in whenever” (as opposed to beginning/end of month) or month to month. It was suggested to me to just do month to month to start by a friend that lived there a long time ago but I don’t think I’ll have the luxury nor the time to fool with moving twice in one city in a short time. I would like to be settled before the holidays if possible (Thanksgiving). Each move probably means deposits. 

I’ve been learning about attachment styles and working toward secure. I found a great YouTuber. Hoping I make a new circle of friends soon because I really need some people I can hang out with easily. 

In my experience, libraries make great places to meet new friends. You will not only have coworkers but so many adults coming and going, and it is natural to chat a little when folks see what is being checked out and returned, plus there are often many activities that bring opportunities to chat. I hold out a great hope for you that you will meet some great folks!

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I my experience, libraries make great places to meet new friends. You will not only have coworkers but so many adults coming and going, and it is natural to chat a little when folks see what is bring checked out and returned, plus there are often many activities that bring opportunities to chat. I hold out a great hope for you that you will meet some great folks!

I can definitely attest to that, I adored our old library and hung out with the children's librarian socially from time to time.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Huge congratulations form me as well Heart!  Your persistence has paid off!  Hoping for you that housing and visitation arrangements all go smoothly now.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Fridays are hard when there is any distance to drive.  I drove my son all the way to his dad and then his dad brought him all the way back to me.

Hopefully your xh will be reasonable.  

• Like 2

When we dated xh would let me drag him to NOLA. Night life stuff. After we got married he said I’m never going back, it’s too dangerous. So I wrote off NOLA for many years. I do acknowledge it’s dangerous but I’m more comfortable there now after going to several shows/events this past year, using Lyfts and parking garages, traveling with friends. 

He also likes to ignore or dismiss my time as a librarian. Kinda got the kids to as well. 

So this is all a bit amusing to me. No, my title isn’t librarian but I’m back at a library. And it sounds like essentially the same type of duties. 
———

Mathematically speaking I’m looking at spending at least 35% of income on rent. I’ll make it work. I really want a 2 bedroom. 

• Like 10

I pulled up my old spreadsheet with expenses and modified it with guesses. About 36% of income on rent, higher ins (auto and renter’s will probably go up in the city), a min payment of $50/month on the cc balance etc. I can do it but it will be hard to build up an auto fund, savings etc. One step at a time, though! 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Try asking your contact in the library system if they know of any rentals. Maybe their co-workers might know of something, as well. It helps that they know what you'll be making so they can suggests places specifically for your income bracket.

I did 🙂 they Cc’d a couple people 

• Like 3

On 10/13/2023 at 1:29 PM, heartlikealion said:

yay!!!!!! Also, once you have worked there a bit it may be easier to get a library job again elsewhere, closer to the kids, say in a year or whatever. 

• Like 4

I don’t even know how to ask this. But do I sound crazy for wanting to move into a place in Nov? My dad is like what if they turn around and say hiring freeze and you’ve just signed a lease? 

I think he’s being paranoid. 

I do not have a start date but I’d rather be moving my items in early Nov than late Nov even if the job might not actually start til a few weeks from now (that’s after the drug test and background check clear). I do not want to be moving at Thanksgiving! I want to be settled. 

37 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I don’t even know how to ask this. But do I sound crazy for wanting to move into a place in Nov? My dad is like what if they turn around and say hiring freeze and you’ve just signed a lease? 

I think he’s being paranoid. 

I do not have a start date but I’d rather be moving my items in early Nov than late Nov even if the job might not actually start til a few weeks from now (that’s after the drug test and background check clear). I do not want to be moving at Thanksgiving! I want to be settled. 

That doesn't sound crazy at all. Your entire life has been in flux for the past year, it seems very reasonable that now you have a firm direction you want to start getting settled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope I’m not delusional but I’ve pulled it off before* so I feel hopeful that I can find some landlord that will accept a letter from the employer as proof of job. And I am willing to show stubs from my cashiers’ checks that I get printed weekly for my current landlord. The memo always says rent and has my name, landlord’s name and date. They could speak to my landlords (current & former) but the stubs are more concrete evidence. And I still have a good credit score. So I’d rather push forward to move in early Nov if possible.  

A guy friend offered to drive there at night with me next week so we can look at these places after dark as they may have a different vibe at night. 

*well not this exact scenario but we got someone to rent to us when xh only had an unpaid practicum and we had student loan money

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 2

congratulations!  I am so happy for you!  As far as crime, maybe looks at some suburbs just outside of NOLA?  I have friends who live in Chalmette (Sp?) and work in Violet.  I don't know if that would be too far for your job location (s) .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hen said:

congratulations!  I am so happy for you!  As far as crime, maybe looks at some suburbs just outside of NOLA?  I have friends who live in Chalmette (Sp?) and work in Violet.  I don't know if that would be too far for your job location (s) .  

The job stipulates the parish I need to live in. It’s a requirement of their city employees. 

• Like 2