Menu

Johnny Depp Defamation Lawsuit

Chelli

I'm not normally a follower of Hollywood personalities, but I ran across a live feed of the trial and was riveted. 

So far all I've heard is Johnny's testimony, and I'm just like 😳. His ex-wife sounds unhinged. She should have accepted her divorce settlement and just let it go.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

From what I understand there is a variety of audio and video recordings that pretty much support his story.    This trial is Depp suing his ex wife for defamation after she had him arrested for abuse and was proven to be lying.  

He's suing her over an article she wrote saying she was a victim of domestic violence.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61168837

Edited by denarii
  • Like 2

i have not been following this case ... but came here to remark that it is strange to see that on this forum, at this instant, a thread about Depp and Elon Musk are next to each other. The coincidence is that both these men were romantically involved with this same person and broke up with her. When I hit "submit", the ordering of the posts is going to change 😀

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, mathnerd said:

i have not been following this case ... but came here to remark that it is strange to see that on this forum, at this instant, a thread about Depp and Elon Musk are next to each other. The coincidence is that both these men were romantically involved with this same person and broke up with her. When I hit "submit", the ordering of the posts is going to change 😀

Amber Heard and Elon Musk?  I had no idea.

I haven’t followed it at all…..but she looks icy cold in the court video I saw.

4 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Interesting.   I had no idea.  But I don't really know who she is either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Amber Heard and Elon Musk?  I had no idea.

I haven’t followed it at all…..but she looks icy cold in the court video I saw.

Do google it, there is a lot of juicy info out there (about all the parties involved, together and separate!).

here is a sample:

https://in.mashable.com/culture/30411/elon-musk-reacts-to-headlines-about-alleged-threesome-with-amber-heard-and-cara-delevingne

Johnny Depp's long-time ex-partner vouched for him, as did Winona Ryder.

Vanessa Paradis: 

“I have known Johnny for more than 25 years. We’ve been partners for 14 years and we raised our two children together. Through all these years I’ve known Johnny to be a kind, attentive, generous, and non-violent person and father. On movie sets the actors, directors and entire crews adore him because he is humble and respectful to everyone, as well as being one of the best actors we’ve seen. I am aware of the allegations which Amber Heard has publicly accused Johnny of for more than four years now. This is nothing like the true Johnny I have known, and from my personal experience of many years, I can say he was never violent or abusive to me. I have seen that these outrageous statements have been really distressing, and also caused damage to his career because unfortunately people have gone on believing these false facts. This is so upsetting as he has helped so many persons in his personal and professional life, with kindness and generosity.”

Winona Ryder:

“I knew Johnny very well years ago. We were together as a couple for four years, and I counted him as my best friend, and as close to me as family. I count our relationship as one of the more significant relationships of my life. I understand that it is very important that I speak from my own experience, as I obviously was not there during his marriage to Amber, but, from my experience, which was so wildly different, I was absolutely shocked, confused and upset when I heard the accusations against him. The idea that he is an incredibly violent person is the farthest thing from the Johnny I knew and loved. I cannot wrap my head around these accusations. He was never, never violent towards me. He was never, never abusive at all towards me. He has never been violent or abusive towards anybody I have seen. I truly and honestly only know him as a really good man – an incredibly loving, extremely caring guy who was so very protective of me and the people that he loves, and I felt so very, very safe with him. I do not want to call anyone a liar but from my experience of Johnny, it is impossible to believe that such horrific allegations are true. I find it extremely upsetting knowing him as I do.”

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MercyA said:

Johnny Depp's long-time ex-partner vouched for him, as did Winona Ryder.

Vanessa Paradis: 

“I have known Johnny for more than 25 years. We’ve been partners for 14 years and we raised our two children together. Through all these years I’ve known Johnny to be a kind, attentive, generous, and non-violent person and father. On movie sets the actors, directors and entire crews adore him because he is humble and respectful to everyone, as well as being one of the best actors we’ve seen. I am aware of the allegations which Amber Heard has publicly accused Johnny of for more than four years now. This is nothing like the true Johnny I have known, and from my personal experience of many years, I can say he was never violent or abusive to me. I have seen that these outrageous statements have been really distressing, and also caused damage to his career because unfortunately people have gone on believing these false facts. This is so upsetting as he has helped so many persons in his personal and professional life, with kindness and generosity.”

Winona Ryder:

“I knew Johnny very well years ago. We were together as a couple for four years, and I counted him as my best friend, and as close to me as family. I count our relationship as one of the more significant relationships of my life. I understand that it is very important that I speak from my own experience, as I obviously was not there during his marriage to Amber, but, from my experience, which was so wildly different, I was absolutely shocked, confused and upset when I heard the accusations against him. The idea that he is an incredibly violent person is the farthest thing from the Johnny I knew and loved. I cannot wrap my head around these accusations. He was never, never violent towards me. He was never, never abusive at all towards me. He has never been violent or abusive towards anybody I have seen. I truly and honestly only know him as a really good man – an incredibly loving, extremely caring guy who was so very protective of me and the people that he loves, and I felt so very, very safe with him. I do not want to call anyone a liar but from my experience of Johnny, it is impossible to believe that such horrific allegations are true. I find it extremely upsetting knowing him as I do.”

Wow! I hadn’t read that. It definitely adds credibility to his testimony! 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

Wow! I hadn’t read that. It definitely adds credibility to his testimony! 

Not really.

Without  comment on this particular case, abusers are rarely abusive to everyone. They are often seen as wonderful, kind, gentle, and loving by people who aren’t their targets.  

• Like 9

I know that's true as far as appearing nice outside the family/abuse context. But aren't people who abuse romantic partners usually repeat abusers? I've generally thought so. Am I incorrect?

(I'm not particularly invested in this case.)

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I thought Depp also had people who worked in the house testify that Heard was the one who was physically abusive to him. Either way, it sounds like they were both a mess. 

I don't know where it came from, but there was also a therapy recording released where she was admitting to hitting him but claiming he wasn't hurt so it didn't matter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Danae said:

Not really.

Without  comment on this particular case, abusers are rarely abusive to everyone. They are often seen as wonderful, kind, gentle, and loving by people who aren’t their targets.  

This is true for many types of family violence.  That said, people who batter their intimate partners tend to have a pattern to their intimate relationships that they play out again and again.  

• Like 12

1 hour ago, elroisees said:

I know that's true as far as appearing nice outside the family/abuse context. But aren't people who abuse romantic partners usually repeat abusers? I've generally thought so. Am I incorrect?

(I'm not particularly invested in this case.)

From what I have seen in my life, yes. From what I have read and studied about DV (which  is a lot), also yes.  

Sometimes it is the case that someone’s behavior drastically changes (though that is usually more apt to be getting less aggressive as they significantly advance in age rather than more aggressive and less functional as they age but sometimes someone becomes violent later in life) but in general, people who physically assault their intimate partners have a history with their other intimate partners.   

• Like 3

I found the testimony of Heard's assistant pretty compelling for Depp too.  It doesn't sound like she has an allegiance with either of them.  Honestly, I just assumed all this true when it originally came out.  I'm not convinvced of anything now except that they were a terrible match.  

• Like 4

I’m not even a Johnny Depp fan, but I am solidly on Team Johnny in this case. I have thought from the beginning that Amber Heard was completely disingenuous, self-serving, and calculating. 

I’m not saying he doesn’t have any issues, but I don’t believe he did the things she says he did, and I do believe that she did the things he says she did. I think he was taken in by her pretty face and she played him for a fool.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 5

While my sympathies are leaning towards Depp right now (based on info like the quotes on this thread) I also feel compelled to remember that (a) he is an accomplished actor, and (b) these are exactly the 'charges' that truly abusive men tend to level against their accusers/victims: All. The. Time.

"She's the crazy one." / "Look at me, I can stay calm while she gets agitated in public." / "I'm so charming, everybody at work likes me." / "See the nice things my friends say about me? It's just not in my character to be an abuser." / "She's out to get me, wants my stuff, wants me to look bad, a gold digger, etc." / "I pushed her to her breaking point intentionally, so now I have 'evidence' of her behaving just as badly as her own accusations."

It's such a recognizable narrative that it might as well be taken straight from the (imaginary) 'Successful Abuser's Handbook'. And it's usually successful because it's so believable to bystanders. It's a bit surreal to me to see myself as a bystander actually finding it believable, and leaning towards the side of, "He's probably not a bad guy. It sounds like she is making this up." Because I have never been on that side of the equation before.

I hate that it might be true this time, with this woman, in this public setting, that she really might be 'out to slander the reputation of a good man'. Because if that's true, it massively strengthens the narrative that 'women are like that'. It's a narrative that damages, traps, and  holds down women who need and deserve help: the ones that deserve to be believed: but they won't be.

I also hate that it might be all the successful lies of a skillful abuser -- because he will probably get away with it. And then we see that even actresses who get their story in the paper and have their day in court: still have no voice. Because the world is inclined to believe men.

Either way it sucks. But at least it draws attention to domestic violence as topic? Makes it less shameful overall, maybe?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bolt. said:

While my sympathies are leaning towards Depp right now (based on info like the quotes on this thread) I also feel compelled to remember that (a) he is an accomplished actor, and (b) these are exactly the 'charges' that truly abusive men tend to level against their accusers/victims: All. The. Time.

"She's the crazy one." / "Look at me, I can stay calm while she gets agitated in public." / "I'm so charming, everybody at work likes me." / "See the nice things my friends say about me? It's just not in my character to be an abuser." / "She's out to get me, wants my stuff, wants me to look bad, a gold digger, etc." / "I pushed her to her breaking point intentionally, so now I have 'evidence' of her behaving just as badly as her own accusations."

It's such a recognizable narrative that it might as well be taken straight from the (imaginary) 'Successful Abuser's Handbook'. And it's usually successful because it's so believable to bystanders. It's a bit surreal to me to see myself as a bystander actually finding it believable, and leaning towards the side of, "He's probably not a bad guy. It sounds like she is making this up." Because I have never been on that side of the equation before.

I hate that it might be true this time, with this woman, in this public setting, that she really might be 'out to slander the reputation of a good man'. Because if that's true, it massively strengthens the narrative that 'women are like that'. It's a narrative that damages, traps, and  holds down women who need and deserve help: the ones that deserve to be believed: but they won't be.

I also hate that it might be all the successful lies of a skillful abuser -- because he will probably get away with it. And then we see that even actresses who get their story in the paper and have their day in court: still have no voice. Because the world is inclined to believe men.

Either way it sucks. But at least it draws attention to domestic violence as topic? Makes it less shameful overall, maybe?

Yep, this is literally what my abusive stepfather did to my mom, which was fine until he turned his abuse on me. Also why I hesitate to believe anyone has the full story. And one physically abusive person tends to turn on the abuse in the other, especially when addiction is involved. I’m not watching the coverage though.  The summaries make it seem like Amber is a lunatic.

Edited by Katy
Eta: obviously in the first sentence I was being sarcastic. DV is never okay.

4 hours ago, bolt. said:

Why do people assume that men cannot be abused?  I think public opinion was previously on her side due to just what you wrote - people recognize that.  So I guess it's a good thing there is other corroborating evidence.

She is also an actress, yet she can't even keep it together for court?

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Amy in NH said:

Why do people assume that men cannot be abused?  I think public opinion was previously on her side due to just what you wrote - people recognize that.  So I guess it's a good thing there is other corroborating evidence.

That's a good perspective too. It is important to recognize that men can be abused, and that all domestic violence is deeply damaging.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

having an abusive grandmother (she was physical with my mother) - it always ticked me off that there are people who automatically defend women as victims.  Sometimes they're the perpetrators.

Even Roger Moore - 007 - had a physically abusive ex-wife.  She liked to use frying pans.

• Like 7

Did anyone see the latest about AH's lawyers make-up claim?  "she used ____ make up to cover her bruises." . . . The make-up company announced it wasn't available for purchase  until after they separated.

awkward . . . 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Did anyone see the latest about AH's lawyers make-up claim?  "she used ____ make up to cover her bruises." . . . The make-up company announced it wasn't available for purchase  until after they separated.

awkward . . . 

I think they’ll just say it is not her actual compact and she used one like it. Also, opening statements are not admitted into evidence so I don’t think it will make an impact.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I think they’ll just say it is not her actual compact and she used one like it. Also, opening statements are not admitted into evidence so I don’t think it will make an impact.

whether the jury considers it or not - it demonstrates the sloppiness of her lawyers.

• Like 2

The video of Johnny Depp slamming around in the kitchen and passed out on the couch with drugs and alcohol all around him are just sad. 

I can't help but feel that Amber had some kind of perverse joy capturing those moments as a way to humiliate him. 

I really, really don't like her vibe through all of this. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Chelli said:

The video of Johnny Depp slamming around in the kitchen and passed out on the couch with drugs and alcohol all around him are just sad. 

I can't help but feel that Amber had some kind of perverse joy capturing those moments as a way to humiliate him. 

Her passing around drugs on her wedding day was sad too.  I just don't see a lot to celebrate here even if he is good at his craft.  (She may be too - I'm not as aware of her abilities.) 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Chelli said:

it's typical of a cluster B personality disorder.

• Like 2

I just watched the video of Depp describing his childhood/upbringing in court. It rings true to me. This is based on my own experience. I haven’t followed this case closely at all until just an hour ago. I was just browsing YouTube and then saw this thread. I’ve always had great respect for Depp as an actor. I just pray justice will be done. I will admit that I’m on his team because he’s much older than Heard. I think if he was some sort of psychopath, it would have come out before this. I (mostly) trust the statements made by Vanessa Paradis and Winona Ryder.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KeriJ said:

Yeah, I definitely don't think Johnny Depp is any kind of role model. He seems to be a typical Hollywood star. I'm just not sure that his awful language, drug use, and alcohol abuse make him guilty of physical and sexual abuse which is what Amber Heard has claimed and shared in multiple news stories. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

This court room drama is some seriously weird crap.  I think that poor judge is starting to rethink her entire career choices that have brought her to this court and possible considering significantly upping her alcohol consumption.

Just. The heck.

9 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

This court room drama is some seriously weird crap.  I think that poor judge is starting to rethink her entire career choices that have brought her to this court and possible considering significantly upping her alcohol consumption.

Just. The heck.

What is going on?  I haven't kept up on this. 

37 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What is going on?  I haven't kept up on this. 

Just. Weird odd stuff.  I don’t even know where to begin to explain. I have no idea what amber is paying her lawyers but it’s way too much.  Or if this is really the best they can do in which case they have no case. 

Edited by Murphy101

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Just. Weird odd stuff.  I don’t even know where to begin to explain. I have no idea what amber is paying her lawyers but it’s way too much.  Or if this is really the best they can do in which case they have no case. 

The whole testimony about his p*nis and urinating on the porch (I believe that was the location) has me just 😳. It's totally making me realize that you can be a good actor and a really disturbed person as well, which I knew but now I KNOW. kwim? 

Most of what I have seen has been snippets of weirdness.  JD weirdness…..AHs drama and immaturity…..no real summary of what is even going on. And even though JD is coming off pretty weird he still seems to have the sympathy and support of everyone. 

And what is it with AH copying the dress of others in court from the previous day. ??? 

On 4/21/2022 at 6:52 AM, Danae said:

Not really.

Yes, people who don't live with them. Not so much people who are their romantic partners for years upon years (4 years and 14 years, in these quotes, and neither are in a current relationship with him). 

On 4/21/2022 at 10:53 AM, bolt. said:

a) why do people keep saying this, when she is also an actor?? and b) these are exactly the charges that truly abusive people tend to level against their accusers/victims: All. The. Time. 

On 4/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, KeriJ said:

Terrible things were said by both of them, for sure. 

His texts are terrible, but they were not sent to AH. 

Have you heard the recording that was played in court of AH mocking JD and the idea that he, a man, would come forward as a victim of domestic violence? It's easy to find if you want to hear it or see it quoted exactly, but basically it's: go ahead, Johnny, go ahead and tell the world that you, a man, are a victim of domestic violence! This was in response to him saying something about her throwing a bottle at his face. 

It sounds very much like she was banking on him being too embarrassed to say he was a victim (which many men are). 

General disclaimer: I'm not a JD fangirl (I think Alice in Wonderland may be the only movie of his I've actually seen), and I have nothing against AH (bc I never heard of her before all this), but I am a little baffled that so many people immediately jump on his weird behavior and not hers, his mean words and not hers, his professional acting career and not hers.  More so, I am disturbed that there seems to be a lot of people beating the drum that the man must be the abuser or sole abuser in spite of where the evidence leads (so why would men ever come forward?) and that the idea of the man being the victim is unrealistic or even laughable (so again, why would men ever come forward?). Whatever people believe about this particular case (and I'm not following it closely enough to have a strong belief), I wish they would be careful to not frame it as though JD being the victim is a silly idea on the face of it. 

• Like 19

8 hours ago, katilac said:

a) why do people keep saying this, when she is also an actor?? and b) these are exactly the charges that truly abusive people tend to level against their accusers/victims: All. The. Time. 

(a) I think, most likely because he is widely regarded as a much better actor (more roles, longer career, more well-known) than she is. Yes, they are both trained actors, but when I'm discussing whether or not I think he is an abuser, I'm going to mention what I think of the role of his acting skills. If (and I don't mean I know) so, *if* he is an abuser, he's likely to be a particularly slick one. (If he's not, the acting skills have no relevance.)

(b) As far as I know, the case is not about whether she is an abuser. (He has not alleged that, and she is not suing him for defamation based on such allegations.) She has no need to prove whether or not she is an abuser. The case is about him.

My comments focus on Depp as a potential (is-he-or-isn't-he) abuser because that's the question the trial is exploring. 

On 4/23/2022 at 7:10 AM, KeriJ said:

I find it very telling that he said he didn't rise to the level of "striking" her. That leaves a WHOLE lot of other behavior that can be abusive. Many men don't "strike", rather they push, grab, hold down, strangle, rape, etc. A man who grabs a woman hard enough to leave bruising, then shoves/throws her against a wall, and holds an arm over her throat would not have "struck' a woman either. (not saying he did those things, but those are things abusive men I've known ahve done to their partner - because it isn't a direct punch neither one wants to admit it is actual abuse)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

A judge in the UK libel trial preceding this case found that JD had indeed committed 12 out of 14 alleged instances of DV against AH.

The judge found the Sun did not err in calling JD a wife beater, a description that was factual. 

From what I’ve read about that case—I’m not sure justice was done. Edit: JD tried to appeal. Apparently there was a lot of counter evidence to her claims that was not allowed in court—evidence from police officers, medical professionals, etc. Stuff that is coming out in the current trial.

This is from a BBC article. I have no idea why certain evidence would not be disclosed in that trial vs the current trial. 

In a statement, Mr Depp's solicitor Joelle Rich from the law firm Schillings said: "The evidence presented at last week's hearing further demonstrates that there are clear and objective reasons to seriously question the decision reached in the UK court.

"Mr Depp looks forward to presenting the complete, irrefutable evidence of the truth in the US libel case against Ms Heard, where she will have to provide full disclosure."

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:24 AM, Amy in NH said:

They can be and are.  But it does have to be accepted that in the vast majority of cases a man is stronger than a woman and if he chose to he could defend himself successfully.  A woman who tries to defend herself against anabusive man usually ends up in hospital.  Yes many men are reluctant to fight back due to their upbringing - but he is physically able too.  

• Like 2