Menu

Gas prices in your area?

PinkTulip

For the last 11 years we’ve mostly lived in countries where the price of gas is set by the government and doesn’t necessarily fluctuate with the market.  The price is the same everywhere in the country. The current prices in those countries in dollars and gallons are $2.66 (Kyrgyzstan), $2.30 (Egypt), $4.23 (Mexico), and $2.35 (Saudi Arabia). Except for Saudi, those prices are all higher than the US compared to per capital GDP.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I know! So hard on contractors and other businesses that must drive larger vehicles. Ugh.

I am really hoping to afford an EV equinox in the future, as well as a hybrid Sienna for road trips/van camping.

I’d be all about a hybrid Sienna! But I need it in AWD for my back roads commute. I’ve mildly considered switching to work at a closer school district but I LOVE my current school… even if it’s 30 min away while there is one I could literally be at in 2 minutes up the road. But I’d lose my seniority and tenure and have to take a pay cut- they don’t make it easy to transfer. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I’d be all about a hybrid Sienna! But I need it in AWD for my back roads commute. I’ve mildly considered switching to work at a closer school district but I LOVE my current school… even if it’s 30 min away while there is one I could literally be at in 2 minutes up the road. But I’d lose my seniority and tenure and have to take a pay cut- they don’t make it easy to transfer. 

The hybrid Sienna is the only minivan that comes in AWD right now. 🙂

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

$2.08Aud per L for me this week. That was 98 as it’s what my car likes.

Our car is meant to use 98 as well, but it has been working fine on 95

just heard on the country hour that it is expected to be over $2.20 for unleaded by next week

Edited by Melissa in Australia

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

just heard on the country hour that it is expected to be over $2.20 for unleaded by next week

Noooooooo

I really don't know if our budget can handle that... that will cost me $130 ish a tank!

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Clarita said:

$6+USD today for a gallon. 

Wow. That would be typically SF prices relative to the rest of Bay Area. My two nearest Costco gasoline is showing $5.07.  Luckily DS16’s CHSPE exam in SF was last week when Costco gasoline was $4.45 near our home.  

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Wow. That would be typically SF prices relative to the rest of Bay Area. My two nearest Costco gasoline is showing $5.07.  Luckily DS16’s CHSPE exam in SF was last week when Costco gasoline was $4.45 near our home.  

SF and my city. Good to know I know my area is usually a little higher, but I didn't think usually by that much.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:17 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

Already $2.20 here today. There’s a handful of stations cheaper mentioned on the radio but everyone I passed was $2.19 or $2.20.  DH told me not to fill up as people have been panic buying and some of the tanks are slightly low so you get the sludge.  But it felt a bit risky.

• Sad 1

On 3/9/2022 at 12:17 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

Yeah, I’m going to drop it back to 95 although not all stations here seem to carry it.

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yeah, I’m going to drop it back to 95 although not all stations here seem to carry it.

I discovered the car worked fine on 95 because the petrol station locally ran out of 98 in December. 🙂 

was still $2 yesterday when DH filled all the Jerries, I think the price rise  depends on when they get their next truckload of fuel

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I discovered the car worked fine on 95 because the petrol station locally ran out of 98 in December. 🙂 

was still $2 yesterday when DH filled all the Jerries, I think the price rise  depends on when they get their next truckload of fuel

Yep. Further out areas tend to go up a bit later here 

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Dh said check your car manual first. He said it should state in it if you can use 95

Yeah all good. Dh and I already had this conversation because he’s the one that said to use 98 and he said it’s ok, we might just get slightly lower km/L

• Like 1

Michigan legislature passed an emergency bill to lift the state tax of 27 cents per gallon for six months. It heads to the governor's desk for signature today. I don't know if she will sign it or not. Historically gas companies here have taken the suspension or lowering of state tax to be a great excuse to hike the price enough that there are no savings to consumers. We simply do not regulate producers in this country. They own us lock, stock, and barrel.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/nation-world/suspend-gas-taxes-in-us/507-ef9c6072-f443-41d5-9148-82a5f1db934c

With history as our guide, consumers would see at most 9 cents savings. According to the owner of the local gas station, he says he does not believe we will see any adjustment in price because his producer has already told owners the company is just going to hike the price and keep collecting since they have consumers used to it. Literally zero. So the governor should probably veto the bill because the lost revenue would slow the process of rebuilding a whole bunch of crumbling bridges and roads here. But, she will be perceived by the public as not caring about them because the average Michigander really believes they will have a 27 cent relief per gallon at the pump even though that has never happened in the past when the legislature as done this. What is that saying about exercises in futility? 

• 2 months later...

$4.15 at Costco yesterday when we filled up. Sams and BJs have similar prices. Everywhere else I'm seeing anywhere from $4.25 - $4.50. Florida has a 43 cents per gallon gas tax on top of the federal gas tax. It's one of the highest in the nation (11th highest to be specific). My cousin lives in the next county north of mine and they have an additional local option gas tax of 6 cents per gallon so she's paying more than I am though she lives just an hour away.

The cost of gas sucks right now, I am looking into an electric car.   The only thing that makes me feel a little better was reading this in the news this week.

In the year 2008, the average retail price of gas was $3.27. This is equivalent to $4.34 in 2022 dollars. Note: We determine the value of a dollar using the Consumer Price Index from December of the previous year.

• Like 1