Menu

Thank you all for your support and prayers

MercyA

Okay, here's an amusing little story for you all. Don't quote this, please.

During the last year of FIL's life, he was listening constantly to strident, mean-spirited, blatantly false talk channels. And I mean constantly and at high volume. It was like an addiction. We weren't interested in arguing with him over the material, but it concerned us that his mind was full of that stuff in his last years. And he'd get angry about stuff he didn't need to be angry about.

I prayed that God would please lead him to listen to something else, something that would fill his mind with something positive. Well, lo and behold, he started listening to--I kid you not--some YouTube channel featuring a Polish or German (?) accordion player. Young guy. He plays the accordion and sometimes sings and people polka dance. And he started watching that all the time instead. That and later Yukon Gold (a reality show about gold mining) and a carpenter channel about building cabins in the woods.

DH thought he would go crazy with the constant loud accordion music in the house. He said you could hear it from the street. I was like, hey, better than the alternative! So that was a true miracle. 🙂 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

DH thought he would go crazy with the constant loud accordion music in the house. He said you could hear it from the street. I was like, hey, better than the alternative! So that was a true miracle. 🙂 

Live ones are loud too. We have two in our house, lol! No polka, though I would like to eventually be a competent polka dancer (or competent at any dancing). 

I am so glad that he found something else and will have happier thoughts as he leaves this life. 

• Like 2

DH's dad has passed. It could not have been more peaceful; he just slipped away in his sleep with his family there. Thank you all so much for your prayers and good thoughts. 

Super proud of DD, who has never been around death before (that she can remember). She was completely unafraid and was comforting others. ❤️

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 27
  • Sad 17

2 minutes ago, MercyA said:

DH's dad has passed. It could not have been more peaceful; he just slipped away in his sleep with his family there. Thank you all so much for your prayers and good thoughts. 

Super proud of DD, who has never been around death before (that she can remember). She was completely unafraid and was comforting others. ❤️

I am so sorry but glad it was peaceful. 

• Thanks 1

• MercyA changed the title to Thank you all for your support and prayers

Don't quote please.

So thankful that my mother-in-law was holding him when he passed. She has been widowed twice. Her first husband was a Mennonite conscientious objector during the Vietnam War. He was assigned to work in radiology. They did not take proper precautions at that time and he developed brain cancer at 31, with three young children. My mother-in-law stayed with him in the hospital for days at a time, but left to go home to get some sleep. They were supposed to call her if he grew worse. No one called her even when he died; she went the next day to find him gone. She has been haunted by it her whole life. So we are all thankful that this time was better. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3
  • Sad 12