Menu

What cabin do you fly and why?

mommyoffive

We haven't flown as a family since Covid started, but are eyeing some international trips.  We have done international a few times with kids in economy and then got a deal on premium economy a few times too.  I have so many points and miles to burn so I am thinking of not doing economy.   

What cabin do you fly and why? 

If you fly in things higher than economy do you feel it is worth it?  Why? 

What level did you fly and what airline? Review of it? 

Short trips (1.5-2 hours), I'll do Main Cabin w/Comfort Class seats. Much longer than that, first/business class for the most part. With Covid, all I've done is first/business, even for short flights. More space makes me feel safer. I almost always fly American. It's worth it to me, but it's such a subjective thing. I'm good at hunting for the best prices for the seats that I want.

• Like 2

We've flown many times, and through 2019, we always used the cheapest available option, which allowed us to go more often than otherwise.

This last time (over Christmas), we flew business class.  The main reason was that some of us have health problems that make it dangerous to be stuck in those tiny economy seats for a long flight.  For my kids, it was just a perk.  For me, I'm in between ... sitting in economy would not kill me, but it would be super uncomfortable, especially considering my tailbone issues (basically I cannot sit at all without pain).

The only legitimate reason for us to insist on business class is the ability to move around.  Of course there are other perks, but those are sheer luxuries that we don't need.

Going forward, I think we'll let the kids sit in economy while we who are 50+ sit in business class (on long flights).  I really don't see us traveling together without at least the two 60+ being in business class on long flights.

• Like 2

I fly regularly domestic, and upgrade to "premium" class on Alaska. (four hour flight)   Before covid, there were more and better snacks than economy (free booze for those who drink)  - MORE legroom.  It's only three inches - but makes a big difference.   Early boarding (right after/along with first class.).  Last time I flew, they had "check-in appointments" so you don't have to stand in the general TSA line.  Don't remember if that was general for Alaska at Sea-Tac (major hub), or not.

Incidentally - last fall we flew some friends out to visit.  (he grew up here, and they lived here for a number of years.  This was their one chance to come back.).  They have health issues - and were late to check-in for their flight.  Alaska was great at accommodating them during their wait for the next flight out.  I was pleased at how well they were taken care of.

• Like 2

I fly cheapest. I typically only fly domestic flights so <6 hours. We live in Alaska and anytime we skip Seattle things start getting pretty long. 

My husband and oldest son always try to upgrade to exit or premium rows as they are 6'2" and 6'4" (small torso- mostly legs at that) so it is very difficult to be wedged in a standard seat. My husband used to have marks/bruising on his knee from magazine bar if he didn't get an exit row. It never failed some tiny person would put their seat back and sometimes sleep leaning forward!  The newer planes are so much better. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2

If I could afford to upgrade for an international flight, I absolutely positively would. 

I never have, so can't say for sure it's worth it, but the ability to actually sleep seems like it would be. That said, we've done international with the kids in economy a zillion or so times (or it felt like it; we lived in Brazil and traveled back/forth roughly 2x/year, for 6 yrs) and it's fine. Uncomfortable, literal pain in the neck, but fine. 

• Like 1

I really only do 2 hour flights, so I go economy. I will pay to secure a window seat if I need to.

That said, I could see myself upgrading for a longer flight. I’m ready to bust out of that tin can after 2 hours. Not sure upgrading would change that all that much, but I won’t know until I try! 😉 

Cheapest. I don’t see the sense in wasting money on the utilitarian part of the trip. 

I have yet to meet a plane I’m uncomfortable in—perhaps one of the few perks of being only 5’3. Lol. I just watch movies or sleep so I don’t need anything fancy, extra room or whatever would just be wasted on me. I tend to sleep well on planes and prefer to fly overnight as often as possible to make best use of vacation time. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Cheapest. I don’t see the sense in wasting money on the utilitarian part of the trip. 

I have yet to meet a plane I’m uncomfortable in—perhaps one of the few perks of being only 5’3. Lol. I just watch movies or sleep so I don’t need anything fancy, extra room or whatever would just be wasted on me. I tend to sleep well on planes and prefer to fly overnight as often as possible to make best use of vacation time. 

Oh, wow! You are so lucky to be able to sleep on planes. I am terrible at it! Sometimes I can manage a little nap, but usually I am awake for the entire flight, no matter what time it is.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

First class, always. We find the added comfort to be worth the extra expense.

Same... we'd been doing short runs in the main cabin before COVID but now I don't know that I'll go back... I'm in a much better mood when I land as my back/hip isn't killing me. And I've had a drink 😉 On longer flights, I don't have to worry about finding food in-between flights. I also know and am grateful that we can make this choice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Catwoman said:

Oh, wow! You are so lucky to be able to sleep on planes. I am terrible at it! Sometimes I can manage a little nap, but usually I am awake for the entire flight, no matter what time it is.

My husband is asleep within 10 minutes of taking off... I rarely nod off. Just can't. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I am the same.  I envy those people that can sleep in economy in all this odd positions.  I want to be someone who can be asleep in 30 seconds.  It is a gift. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

If I could afford to upgrade for an international flight, I absolutely positively would. 

I never have, so can't say for sure it's worth it, but the ability to actually sleep seems like it would be. That said, we've done international with the kids in economy a zillion or so times (or it felt like it; we lived in Brazil and traveled back/forth roughly 2x/year, for 6 yrs) and it's fine. Uncomfortable, literal pain in the neck, but fine. 

My sil traveled non-stop from Seattle to Aukland.  Somehow - they were in Business Class.  She said it was fabulous as they were able to comfortably sleep on the plane and hit the ground running when they arrived.

• Like 2

Always cheapest, even on international flights. I catch some sleep here and there but don't sleep well and probably wouldn't even in a first class bed, so I'd rather spend the money on another vacation. I'm comfortable enough (average size, no real aches and pains) that while more room would be nice, it's not worth the price. 

• Like 1

I used to be able to sleep on planes, until I was in my late 40s.  I remember expecting to sleep on the flight to Athens, when my kids were 7, so I was 47.  The only sleep I got was when I lay on the floor under everyone else's feet, and the stewardess kept waking me up and saying I couldn't lie there.  Our first evening in Athens was torture.  After that, I always planned to sleep a lot right before a flight ... but usually I'm running around tying up loose ends.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Yeah, it is lucky. I don’t do jet lag either, I just adjust to whatever time it is when we land and go about the day like normal. My parents are the same way, maybe I learned it when I was young or maybe it’s encoded in my travel genes. 😉 

I don’t like to fly, so sleeping is a coping mechanism of sorts too, I think, so I don’t have to think about the reality of what’s happening. Lol

• Like 2

I always go cheapest. Most of my trips are about 2-2.5 hrs and not huge planes. When I walk past the front rows (first class? business class?) it doesn’t seem like they get THAT much extra room. It’s great when dh can get an aisle so he can extend his legs a bit, or we end up in emergency row with a little extra room, but I’m not gonna PAY for that. Tickets are expensive enough!

19 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Yeah, it is lucky. I don’t do jet lag either, I just adjust to whatever time it is when we land and go about the day like normal. My parents are the same way, maybe I learned it when I was young or maybe it’s encoded in my travel genes. 😉 

I don’t like to fly, so sleeping is a coping mechanism of sorts too, I think, so I don’t have to think about the reality of what’s happening. Lol

I don't get jet lag, either, so I'm always the one ready to go out and explore while other people are ready for a nap!

• Like 1

Whatever is cheapest. For business trips, my husband’s employer would book whichever is most economical so they don’t get to choose airlines. For visiting relatives, it is a 17hr flight and usually cost around $2k each round trip (more during pandemic) and my husband says the airplanes that United Airlines use for these long haul flights are more spacious. 

Cheapest. Traveling home, overseas with two kids, no way we could have afforded 3-4k+ per ticket. That's an absurd amount of money.

I flew business once, by myself, by using all our frequent flyer miles, during the pandemic; I had to travel when my father was dying, and we splurged for safety and comfort because it was all so horrible.

It made a big difference,  but not enough to justify the price.

This summer,  we are splurging on premium economy because that also gives rebookable tickets. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

Or how little sleep I got the night before a very early flight.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I am the same.  I envy those people that can sleep in economy in all this odd positions.  I want to be someone who can be asleep in 30 seconds.  It is a gift. 

I think it's a guy thing.  Like the meme of how they can't see the bottle of ketchup under their nose in the refrigerator door, but can see the elk in the trees on the other side of the valley. . . . (or three hundred yards down the river, in the trees, while speeding over the bridge to cross the river with only a quick break in the trees . . . . )

He can fall asleep instantly . . . he naps for 20 minutes, and is refreshed. . . . 

To which dept do I file a complaint?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I fly cheapest and often use budget airlines that don't even have first class. My flight is just to get me there. I'd rather spend money at my destination.

I haven't flown international since the late 1980s so I really couldn't say what I'd do if I fly international today. There was more room on planes back then and even economy class gave you a good deal of room. I easily slept on my economy class flights to Gatwick and back home to Orlando. 

Caveat - we have a ton of frequent flier miles & occasionally upgrade coupons. DH is also automatically on standby for upgrades, which can come through at the last minute and are for the entire party usually.

First class benefits - ample room, free beverages & food. On international flight, the larger planes have seats that nearly recline and there are partitions between them in some cases. They also have snacks available in the galley at all times in addition to what they pass out. Early boarding means more time to get settled, sufficient overhead space and on some planes they have a coat closet. 

Business class - like main cabin, but with slightly wider seats. 

Main cabin - gets there the same time as first class! More crowded, narrower seats, overhead at a premium. Choose seats carefully. It’s more quiet in front of the wing than behind it - less engine noise. The further back you are, the closer you are to the bathroom, which mean more foot traffic and possibly odor. 

We choose based on available seats and length of flight. The longer the flight, the more likely we are to get the upgrade. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

When we travel as a family, economy. We do not have funds for 4 tickets other than economy.  It is mostly International travel. 

If DH or I fly alone, with miles it is business. We have tons of miles and have airlines CC too. So we upgrade. 

It is a 15 hour fight one way. For me, the most important perk is clean bathrooms. They clean the bathroom during the flight and fewer people use it. Yes, they make you bed for you, the food is great, blah, blah. But I love a clean bathroom where I do not have to hold it in because the bathroom is worse or comparable to a porta potty in a concert.

We used to automatically be upgraded to business class for international flights.   It was awesome.   But domestic, I usually just fly cheapest.   When the cost difference is triple the price and there are 5 or 6 of us, we just can't justify it.909009133_ScreenShot2022-02-17at6_50_47PM.thumb.png.c3b5c05855e882997cb2729e77b6519f.png

This is the price difference I just found online.....that is SEVEN TIMES the price!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DawnM said:

We used to automatically be upgraded to business class for international flights.   It was awesome.   But domestic, I usually just fly cheapest.   When the cost difference is triple the price and there are 5 or 6 of us, we just can't justify it.909009133_ScreenShot2022-02-17at6_50_47PM.thumb.png.c3b5c05855e882997cb2729e77b6519f.png

This is the price difference I just found online.....that is SEVEN TIMES the price!

Wow!! That is awesome.  How did you do that?

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Back in the day they used to allow missionaries to fly business class.   My parents were missionaries.   I always thought sitting up on the 2nd floor of the airplane was the coolest thing ever.   

• Like 2

Economy because it's cheap but if I had the points I would upgrade to business. I've ridden in first class before (unaccompanied minor on an international flight, so they stuck me there for 15 min), to me it didn't seem too different to me compared to business class. I did not get the first class food and I'm short so, maybe I'm missing something.

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

You don't need to fly to earn miles. We pay for everything possible with an airline credit card that gives miles. Groceries, books, everything except college tuition 

Yep, we do too.   The best way to earn them is opening credit cards when they have high bonuses.  But they have all sorts of ways to get them.  Some times a mortgage with a certain bank, a new bank account, shopping portals, hotel stays and on and on. 

The one time I flew 1st class was years ago when I had to buy a ticket on very short notice for a family funeral. The 1st class ticket was only $100 more than the full fare coach ticket, so I splurged. The amenities were nice, but I was across the isle from a woman traveling by herself with a grumpy 2yr old. That wasn’t a fun flight even in 1st class.

• Like 1

Just flew United from my parent's home back to mine. My DH is a frequent frequent flyer so he gets upgrades most of the time and when he doesn't (for longer flights) he'll (or the university fund that is his) pony up for Business/First class. If we travel together for long flights he'll do his best to get me an upgrade but it's not always possible.

Our last international flight was to Panama and we took two kids and my mom. He got one or two upgrades (different legs of the flight) and gave them to my mom (and me). The flight attendants came back to him in Economy Plus with our kids and treated him so nicely! Told him he was a good son in law. My mom had a blast!

I am but a simple Silver frequent flyer but I've been scoring upgrades recently. I won't deny that I love it but for flights that are 1-2 hours who needs it?! I gave an upgrade to a tired looking serviceman once. It was a short flight but it made my day to sit back in Economy to let him be treated like he deserves.

I won't pay outright for an upgrade. I've survived many, many flights in Economy. My DH needs to hit the ground running while consulting or working so I encourage him to get the upgrade and keep his status, even though covid.

• Like 4

Business flights from South Africa are always at least 5 to even 10 times more expensive than economy, so just not worth the price.  I've flown business for work a few times and it is definitely much more comfortable and I can actually get a bit of sleep, but not a luxury I'm willing to pay for.  I'd rather go overseas more often to visit my family who live in Europe and Asia.  Points on credit cards here are nowhere near as good as in the USA, there just isn't enough competition between the service providers.

We travelled Business Class when we were on an overseas (eta i.e. expat) package.  It was brilliant - particularly on Cathay Pacific - when the kids were young.  I remember one of the air stewards offering to hold my eldest while I had a rest.  I must have fallen asleep and I awoke to find no baby.  There was nowhere for them to disappear to, so I just read my book for a bit.  Later, she came back with a happy baby.  They had gone to the cockpit to meet the pilots, because eldest was grizzling.  The steward (Asian) thought that a Caucasian face might be more comforting, and the pilots were mostly white Australian.

Since then - economy.  Husband and I are only 5'4" and not built big, so it's fine.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Clarita said:

Economy because it's cheap but if I had the points I would upgrade to business. I've ridden in first class before (unaccompanied minor on an international flight, so they stuck me there for 15 min), to me it didn't seem too different to me compared to business class. I did not get the first class food and I'm short so, maybe I'm missing something.

I think that depends on the length of the fight and how many "classes" of cabins there are. I often fly business on flights that don't say "first class" but it's the same thing. Pre-flight drinks, meals if the flight is long enough, etc. 

• Like 1

I will *with great joy* use miles or vouchers or etc to upgrade to business, but I just can't bring myself to pay OOP for it.  It's much nicer to be able to sleep, but I could do a whole additional trip for that money!  And miles upgrades were becoming unicorn-rare before COVID (I've avoided flying since so don't know if that's still true).

I'll pay for Economy Plus.  It's not just the few extra inches, but also the ability to get seats together in advance.

And every so often, particularly if you book very last minute on very well-traveled routes like Central America or London, you can find business fares that are only a smidge more than Economy Plus. I've done that a couple of times.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I used to travel a lot for business, and so got upgraded almost all the time, even years after I quit working.  Me and the 3yo in First Class.  It was great. But no cost to me.

One time I got on the plane, went to business class (auto upgrade) and saw the CEO of my very famous employer go back to coach.  The CEO threw a jacket over his head and went to sleep.  

Now I am just a regular person and I get the cheapest seats possible. I've been upgraded to First Class by mistake a couple of times, and it was nice...but not worth more than $100 extra.  

On 2/17/2022 at 6:02 PM, DawnM said:

Back in the day they used to allow missionaries to fly business class.   My parents were missionaries.   I always thought sitting up on the 2nd floor of the airplane was the coolest thing ever.   

Whaaaaaaat!?! What airline was this? DH's parents were missionaries overseas for 40 years and they didn't get this treatment! They must have been flying the wrong airline!!! 

DH is a pilot for the airlines so I've flown a lot in all areas of the plane. Of course First or Business are my favorite and I'd definitely consider paying a little bit to upgrade if we bought tickets (but not full price). To be honest I have a hard time paying at all for tickets since we have free standby flights (Internationally we pay but a VERY low rate). 😬 We've taken full advantage of that in years past but Covid, obviously, put a damper on things. I can't wait to get up in the air again!

We usually opt for the lowest fare, but also consider all the extra add on's. Do we need to check a bag or take a carry on? Are 2 carry on's allowed or only 1? Sometimes it's less expensive to purchase the next step up from the base fare.

Dh wanted to take us to London. We booked economy, but when we checked in, all 5 of us were bumped to business class. We had individual seats that pulled out into beds, partitions, and great food. We were very thankful because dh got sick, most likely due to stress, as we were driving to the airport 2 hours away. The partitions separated him from everyone else when he needed his air sick bags. The flight attendant was wonderful and kept bringing him cold cloths to put on his face. We were unsure if he would be allowed on the plane, but I've wondered if the person checking us in realized how helpful the upgrade would be. We decided to fly economy plus on the way home. It was the upgrade we could afford.