Menu

Good Hostess attempt (coffee question)

heartlikealion

I don’t drink coffee, but people seem to expect it. If you want to have something easy on hand to offer guests what do you recommend? A coffee maker or just a tea kettle and instant coffee or ??  Definitely not investing in a big machine and those little cups. 

I usually dodge this topic, but it came up over Christmas. My sister ended up just getting coffee at her hotel and I had some random iced coffee. My other sister didn’t get to make the visit but when I told her I didn’t have a tea kettle (I used to, but I didn’t replace it because I rarely used it) and she could just use the microwave or boil water in a pot on my stove I started to feel inadequate. Like Emily Post or Miss Manners would be saying duh you need these things… but without saying duh because that would be impolite. 

All I currently have is stuff stbx gave me for ds. Single serve French vanilla iced latte (Maxwell House). 

This is not super high priority but while I’m thinking of it I’d like to have something to keep in mind if I see a sale. Also my middle sister might come in a couple months when she reschedules her flight. (but we might not even meet up at my home). 

I don’t drink tea either but good intentioned people have given me some. 

I don’t drink coffee and my husband gets his free through a barter. So at home in case it is needed, we just have some filters and one of those plastic inserts you set in a cup. Then put the filter in with the coffee grounds and pour boiling water over it. Our only issue is occasionally forgetting to make sure we actually have the coffee to put in the filters. We also get it free through the barter, but don’t like to stock up, just get as needed.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 4

I'm going to say two things:

1. We have a small coffee maker (makes about 4 regular cups) we could pull out if that was our option.  Alternatively, Starbucks Via instant coffee is palatable.

2. It feels like you are still in crisis mode, and I don't think it's a bad thing that this is not a priority for you yet, or even in the near future.

• Like 4

Definitely NOT instant coffee! If you use coffee rarely, store it in the fridge.

All you need is boiling water (pot on stove is fine) and a filter. Takes up the least space. A French press is nicer though, but would be one extra item to store.

ETA: Unless you have house guests staying with you overnight who are coffee drinkers, it's really fine not to have coffee in the house. You can offer a sampler of tea bags, caffeinated and herbal. They keep a long time and don't take up space.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

I’m a heavy coffee drinker. I would have had my coffee fix before visiting. Honestly I would only expect coffee from my hosts if they are my relatives who are also heavy coffee drinkers. 
I have instant coffee (nescafe, UCC, random brands) at home because it’s faster than using my pour over coffee maker. 

• Like 7

I don't expect that people will serve me coffee.  I drink it in the morning and afternoon and I will usually take it with me if I am going to be out during my "coffee time."  Also, non-coffee drinkers most likely will not have half & half / cream.  You can buy coffee that is made like tea and I actually don't mind it in a pinch, but I wouldn't drink any coffee at all without cream. Powdered creamers would not suffice. So I'm not sure you can adequately prepare for a serious coffee drinker. Unless you are like my SIL who always has vanilla ice cream and usually has heavy cream for baking and cooking. They don't buy half & half, but I made do with those alternates for my coffee when I'm there. 

• Like 2

I'd buy an inexpensive drip machine like Mr. Coffee and pick up a bag of brand name ground coffee. Dunkin Donuts is probably the one that most run-of-the-mill coffee drinkers I know seem to enjoy. (I thought about typing "non-coffee-snobs" there, but that sounds much too harsh. Just . . most regular people I know find bagged, ground coffee to be perfectly acceptable.)

• Like 3

First, you really don’t need to do this! I agree that a caffeinated tea option is fine. And I am a serious coffee person.

I wouldn’t do instant, but if it really feels like the best option - Starbucks Via. Not Folgers! Heaven forbid! 😂

If you want to make guests something more like a real cup of coffee, French press is definitely a good option.

• Like 3

I don't expect people to offer me coffee or tea or any specific item.  Offering something is nice but it could be water or whatever else you might normally have on hand.

I usually decline coffee unless I know the person makes good coffee.  It's awkward to say yes and then it's undrinkable.

I'm pretty sure there are coffee concentrates that you mix with either hot or cold water.  I think that would be easier to keep on hand.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

If I knew someone was coming to visit for an expended visit and I knew they were a coffee drinker I would let them know that we are not coffee drinkers and ask what they wanted. Most likely I would just suggest that we go down to our local coffee shop and pick up drinks.

Honestly as coffee drinkers here, this is what I'd prefer someone who didn't drink coffee did at least for an earlier in the day visit.  "I have a variety of tea and will have a few snacks, there is a coffee shop in town if you want to pick up some coffee on the way."  Ground coffee doesn't keep well very long and instant or in the tea bags is just not gratifying at all.   French press can take some practice and mastery and if you don't drink coffee it's hard to compare how it turns out.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it's necessary to have this stuff on hand, especially if you really don't have guests over very often who want coffee. However... I'd go with a reusable filter and just buy a small amount of ground coffee when you expect to have guests. The best bet would be to go to a store that lets you grind exactly what you need fresh, in store. The next best would be to ask your sisters what they prefer, buy that, and give them the remainder when they leave.

• Like 3

Also, no to the instant. There are some coffee bags available which aren't quite as bad as instant, although Folgers is only brand I've seen here and I don't like Folgers coffee. Agreed that unless you're having overnight guests there is no need. A variety of tea bags and a nice teapot is a good gesture for those after lunch/dinner requirements. 

• Like 1

Best and cheapest easiest option imnsho is a French press. 2 tablespoons of ground coffee for a regular sized pot is enough coffee for 2-3 cups.  Dump ground in pot, fill with hot water and press. Done.   Store the ground coffee in the freezer and it will last a very long time.

I keep a coffee bar here. At that bar I have:

french press

electric kettle

Assorted mugs

Glass sealed jars of ground coffee, assorted teabags, hot cocoa, and apple cider.  I drink my coffee black but for company I keep containers of artificial sugar packets, white sugar, brown sugar, individual creamers, a teddy bear of real honey.  And I keep milk in the fridge for this even though the only time we ever use milk is to bake or for cold cereal)

Spare mug filled with long teaspoons (there’s also one full of straws and another full of chopsticks)

a dish to place dirty spoons on. 

an itty trash can that sits on the counter (it’s just big enough to hold the empty packets and used teabags)

Cloth napkins are to the right. 

It sounds fancy but it’s a contained hot mess. Lol. 

But the basic “can I get you something to drink” is always available.

• Like 1

I got a small coffee maker as a wedding present many years ago.  I am not a coffee drinker, but DH does once in while.  I used it for heating water for tea for years.  Now youngest likes a cup of coffee every so often, so I have stuff around for that.  But I never really think to make coffee when guests are here.  My coffee drinking family members stop and pick some up on their way over if they really want some.  I thought about making a pot on Christmas but we had so much other stuff, I didn't bother.  I just made a big crockpot full of hot cocoa which was popular.

• Like 1

The things I find “everyone” presumes we have on hand are juice, whole milk, soda pop and beer. 

we buy 2% milk for baking and cold cereal  

the rest we almost never buy. Like once in a great while during the summer I get a craving for a salted rim glass of grapefruit juice with slices of jalepino.  Otherwise we all drink water.

Dh brews his own beer but he is the only one to drink and he doesn’t even do that on a weekly basis .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

I have this for our travel trailer and it makes a perfectly fine cup of coffee. It’s cheap, too. One small box of k-cups and you’re good to go for less than 30 bucks!

I would do this because the K cups stay fresh a lot longer than a bag of coffee. Once you open a bag of ground coffee it's going to go bad by the next time you have guests most likely. So then you were just throwing away a bag of coffee each time. That's a big waste. For 20 bucks I can get this and you can get a small box of K cups for about eight dollars - cheaper at Aldie. Or you could get a slightly bigger package and get a variety pack. They sell those that have light and dark roast and flavored and Heacox and that way people can pick what they want. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

As a host, you are not required to foresee every possible thing a guest could want, and provide it. We are coffee drinkers here, but would never presume that everyone we might visit would have coffee. My husband might be a little cranky the first day of the visit - not on purpose, but coffee does have a sort of medicinal effect on him. I can't imagine staying with people who we don't know well enough to know they don't keep coffee on hand, and we would plan accordingly.  I would consider planning accordingly asking my hosts where is the closest place to get a coffee, and go get it myself. Certainly I would not expect anyone to stock and store something they will not use.

I appreciate your sentiment but really, you have a lot  going on and your family should understand that you simply don't use the stuff and don't keep it. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 5

I am a coffee drinker.  Living next to my in-laws, he will serve me coffee as part of an after-dinner thing.  Otherwise, I wouldn't expect it anyplace else.  I think you could keep Folgers singles handy and possibly powdered creamer, though milk would probably do.  That is, if you would like to have these items on hand.  

• Like 1

I think the easiest thing you can do is buy some Starbucks or Trader Joe's instant packets. If they're survival drinkers, like me, it'll be good enough to get them up and to the nearest coffee shop for their second cup. It requires no equipment or storage from you. Is it bad coffee? Yeah, but so is poorly made French press or stale coffee grounds. It's enough. 

• Like 6

I don’t drink coffee and neither does anyone else in the house.  Everyone who would be coming over knows this.  They know they will find a large variety of tea and hot cocoa. I have never had anyone ever say a thing to me about not having it.  I don’t see the need to have it in the house taking up space for something that at no one uses here.  

There are plenty of Wawa’s, Star Bucks and other places to grab a up on the way to my house.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I wouldn't do instant. A French press is probably the easiest. Keep the ground coffee in the freezer.

I agree with this! You can get a nice Bodum french press for not much $ at Walmart or Target. I've had mine for 10+ years. It's really easy to make good coffee with it. 

• Like 2

We have one of those stove top espresso makers like this.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrgEbH8oORhYdUAzCHpQyE5;_ylu=Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzIEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1642402173/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.everten.com.au%2fstovetop-espresso.html/RK=2/RS=dJvABbP.iAfVDNOv1iajnjrW6ng-

It makes much nicer coffee than the coffee machine we had although no milk froth. It doesn’t take up much space either.

• Like 2

Personally I prefer instant coffee, and I think it's fine to have a really good instant coffee available.

Another option is to have a mini coffee maker that can just make one cup at a time, and keep a very small can of drip coffee.  This would make sense if you know your specific guests' desires and they are going to come over more than once in a blue moon.

• Like 2

For perspective — the nearest DD is an hr away and the nearest Starbucks is 45 min away. There are no close by mom & pop coffee shops, either. I think nearby you can maybe order a sweet tea but not sure about coffee. And they serve lunch so not open in morning probably. That’s why when family came at Christmas and kept asking questions about coffee it stressed me out. One sister slept here one night and in the hotel another and just used what I had (the iced thing) or went without that one day. We don’t have any major chains here. Another town over you can get locally made coffee I think but it’s out of the way. 

They know I am not a coffee drinker. I suggested they bring what they wanted over or tell me specifically what to get at the store. Originally I was expecting 3 coffee drinkers - my aunt and 2 sisters. And they are all different in their tastes. But in the end my aunt didn’t come because the drive was too hard on her knees (long car ride) and one sis got Covid. We weren’t sure who was sleeping here when at first. When the kids aren’t here I offer their bedrooms. 

I don’t have a garage or basement but I could squeeze a small appliance in the back of a cupboard. 

I know it sounds stupid but it causes me anxiety so I thought I’d rather just have the stuff than field 20 questions. Now the creamer is a good point… I hadn’t thought of that. Nor do I really want to keep coffee in my fridge 365 days to use one day a yr or so lol I’d probably just send the coffee home with them ha. 

• Like 1

For your purposes, you could buy this inexpensive pour-over coffee cone with filters that I am linking. Also buy a smaller pack of ground coffee from a department store and put in your freezer. Your coffee drinking guests can pour over hot water and brew their cup of coffee whenever they wish to drink it. I would refuse instant coffee if someone offered it to me because I can not drink it (bad memories of politely drinking cups of it in my in-laws' place!).

https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Coffee-Brewer-Filter-Natural/dp/B01M5E5PHC?th=1

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

The things I find “everyone” presumes we have on hand are juice, whole milk, soda pop and beer. 

we buy 2% milk for baking and cold cereal  

the rest we almost never buy. Like once in a great while during the summer I get a craving for a salted rim glass of grapefruit juice with slices of jalepino.  Otherwise we all drink water.

Dh brews his own beer but he is the only one to drink and he doesn’t even do that on a weekly basis .

I have gotten in the habit of buying the $1 shelf stable milk and keep that in my cupboard. They sell 1%, 2% and whole milk at the Dollar Tree but inventory is very hit and miss. I put a box in the fridge before my kids come over because dd usually asks for milk at some point. The kids are only here on weekends so who needs a big jug? I primarily use milk for cooking/baking. Occasionally cereal. I use water for my hot cocoa and she uses milk. I usually keep a canister of lemonade mix or perhaps Kool aid handy and bottled water. Sometimes I’ll buy juice but not all the time. I have cocoa packets here now, too. 

eta: I always have bottled water 

Edited by heartlikealion

4 minutes ago, Insertcreativenamehere said:

I ditto the idea of a French press. I got one new for $7.99 at a local store. The I have has a very small capacity - maybe one cup at a time. I mostly use it to froth milk but it makes really good coffee, too. 

I feel silly. I thought a French press was some high ticket item until this thread. Maybe there are tons on the market. 

One sister voted for French press (I threw out a question today. The other hasn’t responded yet). 

It’s a social conundrum. Otoh of course a guest should not presume to get anything at all. But at the same time, it is considered especially hospitable to be able and willing offer a choice of beverages of some kind.

I have never expected to get anything when a guest.  And I’m not going to buy pop or beer even though I am sure some company would like it.  But I personally like being able to offer something other than plain water.

also: - 1lb bag of ground coffee will stay good for about 4 months in the freezer. You could buy even less than that from the bulk section of the store and freeze it. That’s what I do for decaf bc I only know 2 people who want some and they don’t visit much. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I feel silly. I thought a French press was some high ticket item until this thread. Maybe there are tons on the market. 

One sister voted for French press (I threw out a question today. The other hasn’t responded yet). 

Perfectly usable French Presses can be found for less than $20.  There’s way more expensive ones but they aren’t worth it imo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

It’s a social conundrum. Otoh of course a guest should not presume to get anything at all. But at the same time, it is considered especially hospitable to be able and willing offer a choice of beverages of some kind.

I have never expected to get anything when a guest.  And I’m not going to buy pop or beer even though I am sure some company would like it.  But I personally like being able to offer something other than plain water.

also: - 1lb bag of ground coffee will stay good for about 4 months in the freezer. You could buy even less than that from the bulk section of the store and freeze it. That’s what I do for decaf bc I only know 2 people who want some and they don’t visit much. 

Growing up my mom somewhat catered to guests. We pretty much only bought soda when expecting company. However, we had an extra fridge in a storage room that helped. Stbx commented how she was so thoughtful buying his favorite drinks before he came over. She was a coffee drinker so of course she had that stuff lol 

3 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Try the thrift store! I always see small coffee makers there. 

ETA: as a coffee drinker, I don’t expect non-coffee drinkers to cater to me! When traveling, I either pack some sort of coffee or I go to the coffee shop to get it. 

Me too - I never expect anyone to have coffee for me. My aunt tries, but it's just not good and I'd rather wait and get something out or skip and have tea. And I drink a lot of coffee. I'm not super fussy but I'd still just rather make a quick dunkin run. 

• Like 1

So for the coffee experts, is there a difference in taste between using a French press and just the plastic cup insert with a paper filter? We have both, but for the rare times when my husband needs to make it rather than go pick one up for free (more often during the pandemic), he usually doesn’t use the French press because he says it’s messier to clean up and sometimes grounds get in the coffee. He doesn’t feel there is a taste advantage, but I’d say he has fairly simple coffee tastes. He could get whatever coffee drinks he wanted everyday for free at one of the local coffee shops, but always just gets the basic house blend with cream and Turbinado sugar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frances said:

So for the coffee experts, is there a difference in taste between using a French press and just the plastic cup insert with a paper filter? We have both, but for the rare times when my husband needs to make it rather than go pick one up for free (more often during the pandemic), he usually doesn’t use the French press because he says it’s messier to clean up and sometimes grounds get in the coffee. He doesn’t feel there is a taste advantage, but I’d say he has fairly simple coffee tastes. He could get whatever coffee drinks he wanted everyday for free at one of the local coffee shops, but always just gets the basic house blend with cream and Turbinado sugar.

I’d like to know in regards to clean up as well. Low maintenance would be ideal to me. 

I'd get a nice kettle that could be kept on the stovetop, no worries about breaking a glass coffeepot if you're short on space. Then I'd get some fancier instant coffee packets, there are tons online with good reviews. I'd add coco, teas,  maybe matcha, and also those tiny creamer cups and sugar. All but the kettle could fit in a cute basket whenever you have company.

• Like 1

Just now, Idalou said:

I'd get a nice kettle that could be kept on the stovetop, no worries about breaking a glass coffeepot if you're short on space. Then I'd get some fancier instant coffee packets, there are tons online with good reviews. I'd add coco, teas,  maybe matcha, and also those tiny creamer cups and sugar. All but the kettle could fit in a cute basket whenever you have company.

Oh right you can buy creamer cups so I don’t need a big container. 

It's common practice in my area to have coffee / offer coffee - that said, in a situation where you'd only use it sparingly, I would vote for a very low-tech French press, too (to me, it does taste better than a simple pour-over because it's stronger --> that could just be me, though). 

I do have someone that I visit regularly, though, who doesn't have coffee b/c nobody there drinks it; I just bring some caffeine with me for the morning and it's no big deal. 

Knowing my people, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably turn it into some kind of cute "order ahead on the app, please" little joke or something. When we have a larger coffee-drinking crew over, I try to accommodate preferences in advance (because I consider it fun / a treat), but if you surprise me with a stop-by, you're drinking what I have on hand. 🙂

• Like 2