Menu

Will you get the covid vaccine right away?

mommyoffive

When doctors and the science community are generally happy with the data from phase 3 trials, I will be happy to get one.  I doubt I'll be at the top of the list.  I suspect health care workers and the elderly will get first dibs.  

It's my understanding the vax options in Russia and China did not actually go through a phase 3 trial, so I would not get that one and scientists are skeptical about it from what I have read.  

• Like 20

8 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

When doctors and the science community are generally happy with the data from phase 3 trials, I will be happy to get one.  I doubt I'll be at the top of the list.  I suspect health care workers and the elderly will get first dibs.  

It's my understanding the vax options in Russia and China did not actually go through a phase 3 trial, so I would not get that one and scientists are skeptical about it from what I have read.  

Ditto this.

I do not believe any credible medical professional believes we'll have a safe, effective vaccine by late October or early November.

In all likelihood when a safe, effective vaccine is available most of my family will be so far down the priority list we'll have a good while to see how others do with it. And I say that even though DH is probably considered to be extremely high risk, and I'm probably higher risk. I still think it will be a long while after release before we'd have access. First will be medical people and other frontline workers, probably the military, elderly people in nursing homes, etc. When we have access, we will get it if one or both of the following has occurred: (1) Dr. Fauci or another nationally recognized medical person that I feel is credible vouches for a vaccine's safety and effectiveness and/or (2) either DH's oncologist or my rheumatologist says they believe it's safe.

• Like 11

If it has the data from Phase III trials on safety and efficacy, I will get it as soon as distribution allows. I don't want one that doesn't have Phase III data.

ETA: I am more optimistic on that timeline than some...late 2020 or early 2021.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 3

In my area, most big employers have asked people to work from home until June 2021. That is an indication to me that the HR departments of these companies do not expect a good quality vaccine to be available before that. I will only get the vaccine if it turns out that others took it and had no bad outcomes because of it. I would also like to see some reliable health authority endorse the vaccine (don’t want politicians’ opinions on it).

• Like 6

No, I’ve seen one too many medical innovations that tested fine in small numbers and then turned out to have tragic flaws in large number data. Plus in general, I’m SIP adequately (mostly).  

Also, I think that the vaccine is going to require frequent, maybe every 2-3 months, boosters, because immunity doesn’t seem to last very well to this illness.  Not super excited about starting a commitment to a regimen like that.  Plus there are several strains, which may be an indication of how fast it mutates.  Quick mutation is what prevented effective vaccines for HIV.  And the annual flu vaccine results are not encouraging regarding ability to prejudge what strains are going to spread.

So the combo of “I can isolate reasonably well” and “This might be dangerous, or at least ineffective” makes me say, “No, I’ll wait, thank you.”

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Plum said:

According to this JAMA interview, once it completes trials and is approved, the sequence will likely be HCW and essential workers first, then the general public. The masses most likely won’t see it until next year anyway. By then, I’ll have no hesitation to get it. 

All of the big pharma companies are banding together to sign a pledge to say that it will be ready when it’s ready  they may even try to release them at the same time. It serves no one if people don’t trust in the system. I think it’s ridiculous to believe people will vote based on whether a vaccine has been pushed through anyway  

JAMA interview about vaccines  

https://youtu.be/BY67HozpvU8

Article about big pharma’s pledge

https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2020/09/07/pharma-covid-19-vaccine-drew-a-line/

interview with scientific head of Operation Warp Speed

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/leader-us-vaccine-push-says-he-ll-quit-if-politics-trumps-science-approval-process?fbclid=IwAR3_Hr5R-7C9IkX8NTeCIBBK0VR73JbKyfWvUE907JEnkVmRwEj3J-sxj1I#

Quite a commentary on our times that we are reliant on such a pledge from big pharma.

Sigh.

Not that I don't commend their courage and commitment to science in this instance. I do.

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

And it seems to me that their banding together to coordinate a release date is notably self-serving. Which doesn’t cause me to doubt that they will effectively test - because none of them want that lawsuit. 

Most vaccines have federal protection against lawsuits.  You can only sue pharma for drugs like vioxx.

• Like 4

No, thank you - at least at first.  I am low-risk.  I would need to see some pretty hefty data (thousands upon thousands of people) that prove that the risk to me from COVID is greater than the risk of me having an adverse reaction to the vaccine.  I'll periodically rethink my decision as I get older or if I develop other risk factors.  

• Like 1

When my endocrinologist and immunologist recommend it. I do hope there will be a vaccine available before DD moves into a dorm next fall, because if there isn't, I am going to be pushing hard for her to take a gap year or go somewhere she can live at home. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seasider too said:

And it seems to me that their banding together to coordinate a release date is notably self-serving. Which doesn’t cause me to doubt that they will effectively test - because none of them want that lawsuit. 

If I remember correctly, under the PREP Act, the vaccine manufacturers have full immunity to liability.  Consumers can't even go through the NVICP if the vaccine causes an injury.

https://www.phe.gov/Preparedness/legal/prepact/Pages/COVID19.aspx

Edited by hopeallgoeswell
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hopeallgoeswell said:

If I remember correctly, under the PREP Act, the vaccine manufacturers have full immunity to liability.  Consumers can't even go through the NVICP if the vaccine causes an injury.

https://www.phe.gov/Preparedness/legal/prepact/Pages/COVID19.aspx

I think the danger isn't actually lawsuit....consumers can't sue for vaccines.  But if there are unforeseen serious effects from the vaccine, there's real danger that not enough people will elect to get both this vaccine and also that it will spill over to other vaccines and increase anti-vaccine behavior.  And that seriously erodes both public health and their profit margins, which have been sorely taxed by this incredibly fast production process.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

The minute I can get it. 

My mother is very very high risk and we can't/wont' see her until we and she are vaccinated. (maybe if only she is, and we are being super cautious...maybe)

So to see my mom? To have my kids see their grandma? Sign me up. 

Would you take it and feel confident seeing your mom if it only provides protection 50% of the time? I'm not sure. I get the flu shot and feel protected enough but I'm pretty confident nobody in my family will get seriously ill from the average flu. I think I'd be ok with it if I got the shot and my parents got the shot to minimize risk. That's assuming, of course, that I think it's safe at all. 

I saw my asthma doctor last week and asked him about the vaccine. He said he'd need to see the data once it comes out but 1- He doesn't believe we'll see a vaccine by the end of the year. 2- If we do, he said it's unlikely to have passed normal safety protocols and he won't be recommending it until it does. But mostly- he doesn't think you'll see it until spring at the earliest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I think the danger isn't actually lawsuit....consumers can't sue for vaccines.  But if there are unforeseen serious effects from the vaccine, there's real danger that not enough people will elect to get both this vaccine and also that it will spill over to other vaccines and increase anti-vaccine behavior.  And that seriously erodes both public health and their profit margins, which have been sorely taxed by this incredibly fast production process.  

If a vaccine is mandated, like some people think this vaccine will be, people must to get it.  Over the past few years, states in the U.S. have been removing the liberty to opt out of any mandated vaccines through religious/philosophical exemptions, leaving only almost-impossible-to-get medical exemptions.  If the "winning" vaccine is from a U.S. company, is distributed in the U.S., is mandated by the U.S. government, and causes "unforeseen serious effects", the vaccine manufacturers are not going to feel anything in their profit margins except an increase because their product will be mandated for almost 100% of the country and they will not be liable for any damages caused.  Even if the vaccine isn't mandated and gets pulled because it causes too many problems, the U.S. taxpayers have paid out $10,000,000,000 to the manufacturers for off-setting costs and there are still all of the other government-mandated vaccines on the CDC schedule that people can't opt out of to cushion their profit margins. Now, I don't know the climate in other countries, so your statement could be entirely true for a country that doesn't have as many mandated vaccines and holds manufacturers accountable for the harm their products cause.

Edited by hopeallgoeswell
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We'll get the vaccine as soon as a fully tested vaccine is available to the general population. I'm thinking that will be June 2021.

This is the time frame for widespread US vaccine accessibility that I heard mentioned recently on public radio. A vaccine is likely to be approved by January, but it likely won't be widely available until mid-2021.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paige said:

Would you take it and feel confident seeing your mom if it only provides protection 50% of the time? I'm not sure. I get the flu shot and feel protected enough but I'm pretty confident nobody in my family will get seriously ill from the average flu. I think I'd be ok with it if I got the shot and my parents got the shot to minimize risk. That's assuming, of course, that I think it's safe at all. 

More important to me would be knowing if it reduced severity of illness as well. If it did, and significantly reduced the incidence of disease, and we were still being cautious and masking etc in public, yeah, at that point, unless the positivity rate skyrockets, I'd think we'd get together if we were both vaccinated.  Maybe outside (we are in Florida so can manage that year round between her patio with fans and her pool), but at that point, it's either never see eachother or make it work. 

If it was significantly more effective than that we might get together if just she is vaccinated. But I'd prefer to increase our luck by both being vaccinated. 

Today, right now, I desire to be vaccinated as quickly as possible and feel trust and confidence in the vaccine approval process.

But I think I would pay more attention right at the end.  Like — it’s something where I would just wait until a month out and then figure out a final decision. 

But right now I am on board!  I even look forward to it!!!!!!!!!!! 

9 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

There are no vaccines required of US citizens by law?   

There are states that require kids to get certain vaccines to attend school but since there are a number of options available to US citizens that’s a “work around” that might not work as well as it has, given all the kids NOT in school buildings.

No adult in the US however is required by the government to have particular vaccines simply by government mandate.  There are of course vaccine required by the military, but that’s not really the same thing as a mandate either.  

Not sure if it's technically "law" or not, but healthcare workers, teachers, and probably others are routinely required to get vaxes.  Hospitals and schools are among the largest employers by far throughout the USA.  Theoretically people could choose to quit rather than get vaccinated, but when you are an educated, certified professional, walking away from your profession to go flip burgers is not really much of a choice.

• Like 2

I assume that once it's supported by scientists and doctors in the US, it will be pretty trustworthy.  When that happens, I'll get one.  I haven't been able to see my mother in person and hold her hand in nearly 6 months now, and I don't think she'll be around too much longer.  I would love to be able to spend some of her remaining days with her.

I actually kinda doubt that the schools will add it to their required immunization lists for students, because usually a vax is around for a while before they do that.  And in this case, the disease will probably not be that much of a factor after the vax has been around a while.  I think schools may be more likely to require teachers to get the vax, because teachers are more likely to actually get sick if infected with the virus.  I don't think any of the school-required vaxes are for illnesses that don't generally make kids very sick.  And, they don't require kids to get the flu vax.

• Like 1

Right away, as in once it's available to the masses? Sure.

I figure those on the front lines will be first, and those with health issues will be next. By the time it filters down to the general population, enough time will have gone by to know what to expect in the way of possible side effects, and every vaccine comes with the potential of side effects.

Edited by Wildcat

7 hours ago, SKL said:

Not sure if it's technically "law" or not, but healthcare workers, teachers, and probably others are routinely required to get vaxes.  Hospitals and schools are among the largest employers by far throughout the USA.  Theoretically people could choose to quit rather than get vaccinated, but when you are an educated, certified professional, walking away from your profession to go flip burgers is not really much of a choice.

That is not correct about teachers, at least so far as it being 'routinely required.' 

Anyone going into healthcare knows about required vax upfront. It would be different for teachers, but I also don't think that's going to happen. 

4 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Also, I am not sure that there are many states at all that have vaccine requirements for school employees.  Most have requirements for students in the school system, but I am not aware of any that actually have the same requirement for teachers.

And, I did actually say that medical employees might very well be an exception because of the high level of risk of transmission involved there.  

I'm not sure there are any states that require it for teachers. Everything I read says something like 'most states don't require vax for teachers' but I have to find a named state that does require it, or even a district. If somebody knows of any, please share.