Menu

A light hearted thread - How long will your Toilet paper stash last?

cjzimmer1

I have a big family and tried to calculate it last weekend.  I've got enough for 2-3 weeks.  I've limited use to 2 squares, 3 if you really need them!  It works best to tear them off ahead of time or they might forget.  My mom got a pack today for me (at a smaller grocery store).  My kids know what family cloth is, and that in 3 weeks it will be a reality if we cant get more.  

• Like 1

We normally buy our tp from the restaurant store in one ridiculously large box, now sure how many rolls. And just happened to need more right before things got crazy in the US. So, we are set for 3 months at normal use. But once again that is the normal amount we get when we buy it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

We normally buy our tp from the restaurant store in one ridiculously large box, now sure how many rolls. And just happened to need more right before things got crazy in the US. So, we are set for 3 months at normal use. But once again that is the normal amount we get when we buy it. 

I totally understand,  I bought my normal 2 packages at Costco right as everything went crazy which gave me about a 2 month supply.  I'm sure some people thought I was really stockpiling but it was just my normal behavior for my large family.  

• Like 1

It told me 119 days, but our house skews heavily male.  It’ll last longer than that.  Closer to 180 days or longer.

In my defense, I order from Amazon in 6-month intervals, so I can combine S&S subscriptions for the bigger discount.  My shipment came at the very end of January, and those boxes are still unopened because we had TP left from the previous order.  I certainly wasn’t out buying six months worth of TP in the stores when the virus thing started!

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 2

Come to think of it our supply is 3 months with our twice a week dinners with my siblings and their kids hear (at least 11 additional people sometimes more) plus us hosting homeschool group at least once a month. With those things not happening I don't know how many additional days we've earned in to.

• Like 1

If we are careful I calculate about 50 days. I'm really kicking myself for not going with my gut and ordering at least one more box on Amazon yet at the same time I'm happy I did order a second box instead of hoping Costco would have it in stock. I have an enormous box of cloth diapers, though, so if it came down to it that's what we'd use.

• Like 1

*Groan*

The math is going to be hard. I have some mega rolls and some hard-to-find double rolls (which are all that fit well on our dispensers). So I'm going to have to do multiple calculations and add them together, due to the different number of sheets per roll.

I think this is going to have to wait until I'm much better caffeinated. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mine comes out as 187 days, but there are a bunch of factors that can’t be figured. I don’t know how to make tiny font, or I would use it, but I have washable cloth hankies for my own, um, clear-only wiping. So in my personal bathroom which generally is only used by myself, the TP is only going for messy wiping. 

Then there are the boys, who (I can’t be totally certain, but I think) use TP only for messy wipings. 

I also don’t really understand the website’s use of average squares per wipe and average wipes per visit. I don’t count off squares and I don’t wipe multiple times unless there’s an exceptionally messy situation. I pull off a handful. 🤷🏻‍♀️

All that to say, I’m in good shape and can probably last even longer than the already-long half-year estimate. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Until the end of next week. 

That's about where I project for us (didn't use the tool).  😞 DH went out at 7am three times this week, hoping to score TP...no luck. 

Last week, I placed an order for a 50-pack of washcloths...if push comes to shove, the three females in this house will rely on that for "less messy" bathroom trips and save the TP for the serious stuff...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

That's about where I project for us (didn't use the tool).  😞 DH went out at 7am three times this week, hoping to score TP...no luck. 

Last week, I placed an order for a 50-pack of washcloths...if push comes to shove, the three females in this house will rely on that for "less messy" bathroom trips and save the TP for the serious stuff...

I’m not worried, yet. We have half a dozen boxes of tissues if push comes to shove. 

I have no idea.  I was running out about 2 months ago and got a Costco size amount.  A couple of weeks later, my son came down and said he couldn't find any TP, and I looked and couldn't either.  I thought that was odd, but Amazon had a sale for $25 on 86 rolls of Scott double ply, so I ordered it.  When it came my husband said, "What did you get all that for?"  I told him we were out and he said, "No we aren't, I put all that Costco stuff in the cupboards in the laundry room". Um, you didn't bother telling ME!

BTW:  I can't reach the cupboard in the laundry room, so I have no idea how many rolls are up there.  I think at least 86.  The Costco bag is about 48 rolls and that usually lasts us a couple of months.  I assume we have enough for about 4 months right now.  

We bought ALL of this before the pandemic BTW.  I was not stockpiling during the pandemic.

• Like 1

We are good for awhile.  I needed my normal stock up at Costco before the $%*& (no pun intended) hit the fan.  I scored one more for order pickup at Target before things got bad and they stopped allowing it for order pickup.  

We are being much more careful about how much toilet paper we use.  I didn't realize how much I took it for granted - it was always available.  We are now focusing on the number of squares we use for different things -- LOL.  I am the only girl in the house so I need a little more than the boys 😁!

We also have Kleenex in a pinch.

I scored one pack for my in-laws this morning to be shipped.  Hope it arrives and they like the brand - it is not their preferred brand, but I'm sure it will be better than the newspaper :-)!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mlktwins said:

We also have Kleenex in a pinch.

Just a reminder to everyone that you can't flush tissues (or napkins) - they don't break down in water like tp and will clog the pipes.  I haven’t done the calculations, but I think we're good for a month or more... though I have started counting squares. 

If things get truly scarce, I'm also thinking about a stash of washcloth wipes - after years of cloth diapering, that seems like NBD to me.  That also seems much better to me than throwing dirty tissues or napkins in the trash (though in many countries they do that normally because even tp is too much for their pipes. We're so spoiled...)

• Like 5

Well, I have no idea. I tried to guess an "average number of wipes per visit" in order to figure the "5 people in the house" aspect, but with me the only girl, I can't really guess on how many visits *count* for this scenario, ya know? I mean, the guys are only using TP on, what, maybe a visit a day? Two? 

So, when I tried to figure out how to average them and me together, it told me 16 days. Which I know is not accurate; what we have will last longer than that, for sure. 

So then I tried to count up bathroom visits and pretend we're just one person, and that said 54 days. Which seems maybe a little too long. 

In any case, it's starting to be back in stores some of the time, so I'm not too worried. I think we'll be okay for a little while on what we have.

• Like 1

We aren't restricting it by squares or anything (I have zero interest in micromanaging how much paper people wipe with!), so I'm assuming normal use. We'll be ok for a few weeks. I'm also looking online every day for various things we need that are hard to find and I've gotten some stuff ordered from Amazon and BJs. 

ETA: We've also given some to people in our town who needed some.

Edited by hippiemamato3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Well, I have no idea. I tried to guess an "average number of wipes per visit" in order to figure the "5 people in the house" aspect, but with me the only girl, I can't really guess on how many visits *count* for this scenario, ya know? I mean, the guys are only using TP on, what, maybe a visit a day? Two? 

So, when I tried to figure out how to average them and me together, it told me 16 days. Which I know is not accurate; what we have will last longer than that, for sure. 

So then I tried to count up bathroom visits and pretend we're just one person, and that said 54 days. Which seems maybe a little too long. 

In any case, it's starting to be back in stores some of the time, so I'm not too worried. I think we'll be okay for a little while on what we have.

I can't figure it out either. I have no idea how often dh and adult ds go, and I'm not going to ask them about their tp use while they're there. I probably make the most trips. I have overactive bladder and am out of my medication. Currently I'm fighting with the insurance company over covering the medication my doctor believes is the best one for me. I took a guess regarding the guys in the house and the calculator says ours will last 94 days.

We usually buy our toilet paper at Sams so we had a decent amount. I remember adding it to my Sams list in late February but it wasn't a priority at that time and I just figured we'd get it the next time we made a Sams run. When we finally went in early March it was already too late. Sams, as well as all the grocery stores, dollar stores, and pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens were already having shortages by then. We should be good for a while though even if that calculator overestimated how long ours will last.

• Like 1

I can’t handle the math even caffeinated, but I’d guess we are set for several months. I’m rationing for myself, but I’m not about ask the men about their usage. I’ll just do me, thanks.

Even in normal times I have a weird thing about having enough toilet paper, so I typically have this kind of stash. A friend once looked in my half bath cabinet and remarked that she had never seen a literal wall of toilet paper. I didn’t dare tell her that was only a fraction of what I keep upstairs. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

About 21 days based on my best guess. Gosh, most of you guys are set.

I have a household of 3 teenage girls, me & DH, so we use a lot of toilet paper. I'm not rationing yet in the hopes that I can find some more next shopping trip. I will, of course, share with family members in other households if necessary. I already sent 7 rolls up to my aunt and uncle who were completely unable to find any toilet paper. My MIL has a few extra rolls since my nephew brought her a big package last week, so we could run up there and grab that if absolutely necessary.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

About 21 days based on my best guess. Gosh, most of you guys are set.

I have a household of 3 teenage girls, me & DH, so we use a lot of toilet paper. I'm not rationing yet in the hopes that I can find some more next shopping trip. I will, of course, share with family members in other households if necessary. I already sent 7 rolls up to my aunt and uncle who were completely unable to find any toilet paper. My MIL has a few extra rolls since my nephew brought her a big package last week, so we could run up there and grab that if absolutely necessary.

Yea, I told a few friends at the outset, I am SOOOO glad to be the only girl in the house! The TP will last so much longer!

On the flip side, the food/snacks are going much faster, but we've been much more able to find food than TP, so I think we'll be okay. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Just a reminder to everyone that you can't flush tissues (or napkins) - they don't break down in water like tp and will clog the pipes.  I haven’t done the calculations, but I think we're good for a month or more... though I have started counting squares. 

If things get truly scarce, I'm also thinking about a stash of washcloth wipes - after years of cloth diapering, that seems like NBD to me.  That also seems much better to me than throwing dirty tissues or napkins in the trash (though in many countries they do that normally because even tp is too much for their pipes. We're so spoiled...)

I loved being able to throw flannel wipes in with my babies’ diapers. Bonus, they work soooo much better in a wipes warmer!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The calculator doesn't ask if the people in the house are male or female.  It's just dh,  ds, and me at home right now.  They only use it once a day. I bought a costco pack before we even heard of the pandemic and I have at least a month supply left.  I figure it'll get restocked eventually.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MEmama said:

I can’t handle the math even caffeinated, but I’d guess we are set for several months. I’m rationing for myself, but I’m not about ask the men about their usage. I’ll just do me, thanks.

Even in normal times I have a weird thing about having enough toilet paper, so I typically have this kind of stash. A friend once looked in my half bath cabinet and remarked that she had never seen a literal wall of toilet paper. I didn’t dare tell her that was only a fraction of what I keep upstairs. 😂

LOL about the men. My husband discovered my stash in the garage today. He just doesn't understand. :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DH mowed the neighbors yard today while he did ours.  They always insist on paying us in some way usually snacks or things for the kids.  This time we found a bag full of TP.  DH texted apparently they have been going every Friday and loading up.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Our grocery store put TP on the shelves, and then put an entire pallet of TP in the middle of the store rather than storing it in the back.  It was wrapped in plastic so you couldn't pull any out to buy, but the message was clear -- we have TP, don't worry. 

• Like 5

6 months at the approximate rate of 5 rolls/month.   All mega rolls.  Until this situation, I had never rationed myself,  I am being strict, put sufficient, and realizing that I wasted a lot - using extra, using as tissue, etc.   Didn’t even realized that I had a stash in storage.  I was doing secret shopper jobs a lot last year, and TP was an easy way to fulfill minimum order requirements for grocery pick-up.  I am glad that I am becoming more aware of waste.  Of many things.

• Like 1

We're good for a month, but if it starts to look low, I have plenty of flannel for my own #1 use.

I'm much more interested in getting calories into my kid right now. I used to do 3ish grocery trips a week, going to different stores.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 6:00 AM, Pawz4me said:

*Groan*

The math is going to be hard. I have some mega rolls and some hard-to-find double rolls (which are all that fit well on our dispensers). So I'm going to have to do multiple calculations and add them together, due to the different number of sheets per roll.

I think this is going to have to wait until I'm much better caffeinated. 😉 

Whelp. It's over 24 hours later and I still do not feel sufficiently caffeinated to tackle this. And it's not for lack of trying. 😉 I guess I'll just keep looking at the rolls and hoping they last.  😉 

• Like 2