Menu

If your child goes to school how long is their holiday break next month?

mommyoffive

When my kids were in high school, they did take a couple classes at the local public school.  Their Christmas break was generally as short a time as possible that included both Christmas Eve and New Year's.  So it could be December 24 - January 2.  Depending on where the weekend falls, that might get an extra day or two.  It's definitely shorter than what it was when I was in school.  Back then, it was always two weeks!

My kids' Easter/Spring break was one day...  The Friday before Easter was off.

50 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Are holiday breaks getting shorter than when we were kids? 

My kids in a virtual school their break is Dec 24 -Jan 1

I feel like we had so much more time off when we were kids.  Anyone else feel like this or am I nuts? 

That was what my break was when I was in school.  The only time it was longer than that was when I was in college because the semester usually ended the week before Christmas and if you didn't take Winter Session classes you didn't go back until Feb

19 minutes ago, J-rap said:

When my kids were in high school, they did take a couple classes at the local public school.  Their Christmas break was generally as short a time as possible that included both Christmas Eve and New Year's.  So it could be December 24 - January 2.  Depending on where the weekend falls, that might get an extra day or two.  It's definitely shorter than what it was when I was in school.  Back then, it was always two weeks!

My kids' Easter/Spring break was one day...  The Friday before Easter was off.

1 day for spring break? 

42 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My school district is from Dec 24th to Jan 7th.  Students go back on the 8th. They take a two week break every year. The city’s recreation center will run winter camps during those two weeks.

See I like that going back on the 8th.  That would be so nice. 

Two plus weeks this year because of New Year’s.

A lot of school schedules have to do with required days and other holidays.  I assume it’s a short winter break because of some other breaks that influenced the decision.

Edited by displace

59 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

1 day for spring break? 

Yep!  So no real spring breaks here.  I think that's partly because we live in a farming community where probably half the families are from small farms.  So the school year ends earlier than usual (in May) so that kids can help on their family farms once planting season is here.

Ours is roughly 2 weeks.  No school starting Dec 22 and returning the 7th.  But part of that is that there are 2 full weekends on either end.

Another district near us has only 10 full days off because of a teacher's strike in the fall and the district needing to reclaim student days. 

Ours is Dec 22- Jan 2 (12 days). They also get 5 days for Thanksgiving, 10 days for spring break, and lots of non-Christian holidays. But we also have lots of random days off and half-days as well (usually at the end of each quarter and when interim report cards are issued). I always think that if we didn't take off random days (often in the middle of the week!), then we could have a longer Christmas holiday. I would love to have 2 or even 3 full weeks every year.

My dd is off this entire week for Thanksgiving. Then she gets 17 days for Christmas/New Years. She finishes on Thursday, December 20th and goes back Monday, January 7th.

ETA - Both of my college girls get a full month as it is between semesters.

Edited by Melissa B

About one week, same as every year. *checks calendar* - Yup, the 24th through the 1st, and they go back to school on the 2nd. I suspect this is because they also get a week off in February for President's Day, and another week off whenever Passover is (plus Good Friday, if there is no overlap.) They also get off for Jewish New Year, Yom Kippur and - as of a couple years ago - both Eid and Asian Lunar New Year. And Brooklyn Day, even though they don't call it Brooklyn Day anymore.

They're not lacking for days off. I think the Catholic schools and some of the private schools take an extra week, though - all the school camps offer a longer period than the public schools are out for.

18 hours ago, Arcadia said:

My school district is from Dec 24th to Jan 7th.  Students go back on the 8th. They take a two week break every year. The city’s recreation center will run winter camps during those two weeks.

That is the same as mine and my youngest son's (same district.). 

I did notice that the district I used to be in (and may return to at some point), has a weird Wed before Christmas-Wed after New Year's.  Still 2 weeks, but mid-week to mid-week.

College boys......one gets 7 weeks.  The other gets 3 weeks.