• Shredded potatoes
    • With onions
    • Without onions
    • With other veggies (ie peppers)
    • Without other veggies
    • Frozen are the way to go
    • Fresh or made from leftovers are the way to go
    • ~"Was that the Boogeyman? "~ ~"As a matter of fact, it was." ~

You know what I found out I didn’t like?  Tater tots turned into hash browns ?  Some restaurant here did that and it sounded great but was not.  Didn’t think you could screw up hashed browns so badly.  

I love potatoes, but shredded is my least favorite since they tend to be greasy and bordering on undercooked.   At home, I like a thicker dice with onions and jalapeños.  I’m so hungry rn ?

I love all the hash browns. I like them crispy. I like them greasy. I like them frozen and fresh. I like them on my plate! I don't like them with ketchup. I like them with cheese. I'm ok with onions and peppers. I've rarely met a hash brown I wasn't interested in eating!

• Like 2

At home I prefer to use leftover chunks of baked or boiled potatoes. Eating out I prefer shredded (Waffle House!)

At home I usually add onion but when I order out I eat them without.

On the’no’ list: the shredded potato stuff they serve at Cracker Barrel. Ugh. Also, their sawmill gravy tastes like it’s made from an actual sawmill. 

• Haha 1

Hey, folks, we need to dial it back a bit. I feel we are veering into dangerous territory with all the "tater tots are hashed browns" talk. 

Yes, they are shredded potatoes.

Yes, they are formed into delicious little nuggets.

Yes, they are truly potatoes who are living their best life.

But they are NOT hashed browns.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Don't care if the potatoes are shredded (frozen) or cubed from leftover cooked potatoes. 

The musts (for me) are onions, peppers, and potatoes.... all cooked until nice and golden....with salt, pepper, maybe some onion and garlic powder.... and served with ketchup. 

My friend's Dad made the best.  I've never been able to duplicate his awesomeness with potatoes.

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

At home I prefer to use leftover chunks of baked or boiled potatoes. Eating out I prefer shredded (Waffle House!)

At home I usually add onion but when I order out I eat them without.

On the’no’ list: the shredded potato stuff they serve at Cracker Barrel. Ugh. Also, their sawmill gravy tastes like it’s made from an actual sawmill. 

"Made from actual sawmill" LOL LOL LOL

*Tell me about your sawmill gravy...*

*Oh, yeah. Remember the old Johnstown Mill? On Route 8? It's that.*

*Like a recipe from a diner near there? Or the mill owner's secret gravy?*

*No, the actual mill. We just grind up the old walls.*

• Haha 3

Diced, I try to crisp them in a skillet, although I'm usually to hungry for them to get perfect. I never thought about them shredded (what? We don't go out for breakfast!), but I used to occasionally make a Swiss recipe called potato roesti (roschti, rosti) which was a big old crisped-up cast iron skillet of shredded potatoes. That was good!

I never knew some people called them hashED browns before.  

Hash browns are potatoes only.  Shredded or diced is fine but must be well cooked, seasoned and not too greasy.  

Hash is potatoes with onions and other veggies, possibly with meat too.  I love this dish.  

If ketchup comes close they are ruined, ruined I tell ya. 

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Carrie12345 said:

Hm. I'm nnot understanding the defining line.  Is it leftover vs. fresh?  Cubed vs. shredded? Cast iron vs. a different kind of pan?

Here in my part of the world cubed potatoes are generally called home fries or fried potatoes.

Only shredded potatoes--or sometimes the square/rectangular patties--are called hash (not hashed) browns.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lawana said:

You missed the refrigerated option. Simply Potatoes brand. Using leftover potatoes, cubed, fried in a cast iron skillet=pan fried potatoes, not hash browns. And for the record, I hate Waffle House hash browns. 

Simply Potatoes has shredded and diced options.  

• Like 1

Do other regions of the country not differentiate between shredded and cubed/diced potatoes? In my area, only shredded potatoes — cooked crispy with butter, please — are hash browns (no ‘ed’). Cubed/diced potatoes that are pan-fried in butter are home fries or even just fried potatoes. Though, now that I think about it, traditionally, fried potatoes are usually sliced potatoes, at least in my neck of the woods. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Hm. I'm nnot understanding the defining line.  Is it leftover vs. fresh?  Cubed vs. shredded? Cast iron vs. a different kind of pan?

Shredded would make them hash browns. 

Cast iron optional. 

Fresh would work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brehon said:

Do other regions of the country not differentiate between shredded and cubed/diced potatoes? In my area, only shredded potatoes — cooked crispy with butter, please — are hash browns (no ‘ed’). Cubed/diced potatoes that are pan-fried in butter are home fries or even just fried potatoes. Though, now that I think about it, traditionally, fried potatoes are usually sliced potatoes, at least in my neck of the woods. 

Our region differentiates so all this talk about diced potatoes being hash or hashed is all wrong to me.  hash browns are shredded  potatoes, home fries are diced/cubed potatoes. 

Also, I've never heard them called hashed

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

On the verb matter...

It's always been "hash brown" to me.
But I still can't decide if one makes cream chip beef, creamed chip beef, cream chipped beef, or creamed, chipped beef!  (My grandpa circumvented that with S.O.S., lol.)

I’d say creamed, chipped beef because the beef was both creamed and chipped. S.O.S. was a similar Army recipe made with ground beef. It wishes it was creamed chipped beef and so did the soldiers who named it. ?

• Haha 1

Here in the southwest my walmart-brand bag of frozen cubed hash browns calls them "southern hashbrowns." Not sure if that makes them authentically southern though. ? 

I like cubed or shredded, but never feel like I can cook the shredded ones right so I almost always opt for cubed. 

And no veggies for me, except when I am adding them to sausage burritos. The best ever burritos include a batch of cubed hashbrowns with onions and peppers, a pound of cooked sausage, 18 scrambled eggs and lots and lots of cheese. Chopped bacon if you really want to take it up a notch! Add a dash of hot pepper sauce and roll into a tortilla. They freeze wonderfully, which is good because my recipe makes dozens.

Now I need that hashbrown casserole recipe someone alluded to. 

Also, is it hashbrown? Or hash brown?

I love potatoes in all forms. 

I agree with pp's - hash browns are shredded potatoes either fried up in a pan or formed into patties and fried, or purchased in rectangle form. mmmm...

Home fries are the cubed potatoes fried up on their own or with onion. DH makes some amazing home fries with leftover baked potatoes that he cubes, fries with onion, lots of garlic, salt and pepper and paprika.